Josh Dallas as Prince Charming: What's 28 Years When You Have Eternal Love?

• Please log in to reply

320 replies to this topic

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I actually found it baffling that they didn't develop the Emma-Charming relationship this season simply because the writers/producers so clearly had absolutely no clue what to do with David in Storybrooke...so why not let him start to cultivate a friendship with Emma? It didn't have to be on the levels of the Emma-Mary Margaret sorormance, but it could've been something. After all, shouldn't he have felt a paternal tug toward Emma just as much as Mary Margaret felt a maternal tug?

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Honestly, I kinda assumed it because they were the same age and they didn't know they were related. A random tug towards Emma may have been misinterpreted as romantic rather than familial. We all know how "well" David interprets things.

Yes, he was married but unhappily so and ready to leap into an "affair". Had the curse not been broken this season I figured they would have developed the Emma and David relationship as friends once he was solidly taken by Mary Margaret. Then they would have been able to develop a good friendly only relationship. But because they did this back and forth with David and Mary and then he ended up dumped by everybody.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Honestly, I kinda assumed it because they were the same age and they didn't know they were related. A random tug towards Emma may have been misinterpreted as romantic rather than familial.

Agreed. It's easier for two women to become friendly than it is for a man and a woman, especially since they don't work together, they aren't in a some sort of club together and there's nothing that would draw them to each other in particular. Since Emma came to town, she's been involved with Henry and then later became Sheriff - busy girl. Possibly if Emma had had time, she could have volunteered at the animal shelter or wherever it is that David works, but she didn't and I'm fine with that.

It's going to be so interesting to see how these 3 adults relate to each other. Even though Emma is an adult, Charming and Snow have to think of her as their little baby girl and it will be tempting to treat her like that. People who have been adopted sometimes have met their birth parents and, on somewhat rare occasions, start to develop relationships with them. It's a bit awkward because while the birth parents might automatically love this new person in their lives, they don't know the person - they may not even like who he or she is. Of course Snow and Charming don't have that problem because Snowgaret already does love Emma as a friend and David is certainly ok with her. Emma has issues to work out, but I just want her to know that her parents loved and cherished her in their world and they still do.

Doesn't Snowgaret have a blanket of Emma's that Emma saw early on this season?

Edited by Betsypaige1, May 17, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Doesn't Snowgaret have a blanket of Emma's that Emma saw early on this season?

No, that's the blanket that Emma was sent through the wardrobe in. It's always been in her possession.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

No, that's the blanket that Emma was sent through the wardrobe in. It's always been in her possession

Oh right, it was Snowgaret sniffing that Emma's blanket. I really need the DVD so I can re-watch all the episodes.

Thanks!

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Thankfully you can rewatch that scene as many times as you want on youtube since the DVDs are 3 months away.

Even though it was Emma's blanket and all, Snow does have plenty of arguments to make about how much she cares. She took in Emma as a stranger off the street and cooked for her and was a great friend. But we've seen, Snow is big on physical affection for her friends and family (Dwarf group hug!) and Emma's well, not. Poor girl can still barely let Henry hug her. Having two parents who want to is going to be hard.

The only thing I felt Emma must have felt something different about him, was she gave David this REALLY apologetic look when he showed up at Mary Margaret's "You didn't kill anyone!" party and she turned him away. Making excuses "She's kinda tired." And give it time. Because pfft, if some guy accused my best friend of murder, I'd be shoving him out the door at the first second going "What in the world are you doing here? How dare you. Go away!" And I wouldn't be the least bit sorry or worried about sparing his feelings.

Some weird familiarity vibe is about the only thing I can come up with for why Emma was always so ridiculously nice to him (minus the one scene outside her car.)

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I want to see Charming's mother again, so I hope she hasn't been forgotten. Their relationship was so sweet and they adored each other.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

I had been trying to figure out how in the world they were going to accommodate Josh Dallas's schedule with Once and Thor 2. Filming in Vancouver vs. London, starting filming at nearly the same tame (mid-July and early August). Guess now they're not: http://insidemovies....dral-exclusive/

I heard his Thor role wasn't that big but in my mind it was going to take him out for one week possibly 2 even for a minor role and every week gone is like an entire episode of Once. So I was like are they going to write Prince Charming goes missing for an episode or two near the beginning of the season. It seemed difficult. I assume Thor needs lots of coordinated fight scenes.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Man, that sucks. I'm surprised they couldn't make it work--JD wasn't in every episode of the first season, you'd think they could have judiciously sprinkled Charming's absences in S2 to accommodate.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I heard his Thor role wasn't that big but in my mind it was going to take him out for one week possibly 2 even for a minor role and every week gone is like an entire episode of Once. So I was like are they going to write Prince Charming goes missing for an episode or two near the beginning of the season. It seemed difficult. I assume Thor needs lots of coordinated fight scenes.

Even for a relatively small part like Fandral's was in the first film, his commitment was likely more like 4-6 weeks, since his scenes involved not only a lot of fighting, but also a LOT of green-screen filming. Plus, the Warriors Three are rumored to have a larger role in Thor 2. The writing for this was on the wall when Patty Jenkins dropped out of directing back in December and the film went back for a re-write. There was simply no way they were going to be able to accomodate Josh.

Edited by aml77, Jun 9, 2012 @ 2:06 PM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Am I the only one thinking that David/Charming was vastly improved last night? From his obvious joy at seeing his daughter again, yet trying to be sensitive enough to give her space (and encouraging Snow to do the same) to taking charge of Henry. And I love, love, love, the way he and Snow held hands after Emma expressed their feelings.

I hope this new David lasts.

Medieval Girl

Medieval Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I agree. I thought it was amazing how much the angle of Josh's shoulders and the timber of his voice changed. It is certainly more than clothes that make the man but I still think there's some David in Charming. I mentioned in the Broken thread that I thought it was interesting that Snow called him David just after he suggested that they let the wraith get Regina. That seemed much more of a passive David thing to do than man of action Charming.

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I really liked that Charming immediately went back to his normal righteous, heroic self with no trace of wimpy indecisive David left, and nobody was phased by that except Emma. Charming is the perfect guy to maintain law and order in Storybrooke with Emma gone.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I mentioned in the Broken thread that I thought it was interesting that Snow called him David just after he suggested that they let the wraith get Regina. That seemed much more of a passive David thing to do than man of action Charming.

I don't know, one of the things I've always found most interesting about Charming is how he's willing to be a little ruthless when he feels it's justified. I feel like we've seen that before in the Enchanted Forest. That and the fact that of all of his family, Charming's the one with faith. I think it's so interesting that the producers/showrunners inverted the gender norms there--Snow is the one that tends to have doubts and Charming is the one who always, always keeps the faith. It's interesting, because in most other ways Emma is so her father's daughter, but in that respect she's much more like Snow.

That said, I want to echo the major props for JD last night, because simply from his bearing, body language/posture, and tone of voice, it was clear that awful David is gone and Charming is back. Fina-freaking-lly!

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Man, since the premiere there sure is a lot of confusion about Charming's name. At this point, I'm afraid the writers have forgotten what his name is too.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I want to see Charming's mother again, so I hope she hasn't been forgotten. Their relationship was so sweet and they adored each other.

Here's a thought. Charming's mother is one of the refugees in the "Safe Haven" of FTL.

In any event if she's not dead, Charming should be looking for her in Storybrooke.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

In an Interview Horowitz & Kitsis confirm that we will learn David's real name this season.

Will we learn Charming's (Josh Dallas) real name in Season 2?
Adam Horowitz: Yes.

I am guessing 'Charming's' real name is a dead give-away, so who could he be?

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

I've been toying with the idea of it being Edward. It could be a shout-out to Enchanted, and further, Edward was one of the twins in The Prince and the Pauper (the other was Tom, but Thomas is already taken on the show).

I'm not sure if I want Charming to be yet another iconic Fairy Tale character. He's already Prince Charming and has the Prince and the Pauper thing going. One more is just a little bit of overkill.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

stealinghome, I agree with you, but what reason would there be for keeping his real name a secret if not for the purpose of a reveal of some sort? They will be introducing several new stories this year, so I was thinking he maybe a character from one of those.

Edited by MorninStar, Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:26 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Come to think of it, if
Spoiler
maybe his name is Arthur. It would fit the whole modest upbringing turned royalty thing, and the council table in the pilot IS a round table.
Spoiler

Edited by stealinghome, Oct 6, 2012 @ 1:43 AM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I realize it'll be ages probably before we have another Charming and Emma moment. So I'll note on rewatch I really liked the moment where Emma's looking at him and says "I made a promise to Henry, she's not dying."

In the past, before she knew that was her father, I think her voice would have been a lot firmer, stronger and no nonsense. Instead, she's looking up at her father, kinda pleading with him to do what she wants, and hopefully not be mad at her for not agreeing with him. Ah, the things little Emma probably could have charmed out of her parents, possibly still could.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Awww.. what a sweet observation. How tortured it must be to think of what might have been... for the whole family.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Emma totally would've had Charming wrapped around her little finger. It would've been so sweet. I did like the Henry and Charming bonding tonight--it's so clear that Henry looks up to him, in a really adorable way.

I love that Red was the one to knock some sense into Charming's head about his larger responsibilities. She misses Snow almost as much as he does, I imagine, and she's just fierce enough to kick his ass into gear. Also loved that she took control of the town meeting when he didn't show.

I was really digging the first half of Charming's speech, and thought he was great. The second half, though, just kind of dragged, and it felt too much like a manufactued!inspirational!moment. And this is coming from someone who really likes Charming.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I think Snow being gone is a really good thing for Charming (thematically). It's giving us a chance to see Charming as his own character instead of an extension of Snow. I'm assuming there will be a lot of growth with him while she's gone.

Medieval Girl

Medieval Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I liked the speech and it was really good to recognize that their cursed halves were part of them. However, I laughed my ass off at the "So simple even David Noland can do it."

Edited by Medieval Girl, Oct 7, 2012 @ 9:32 PM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I think Snow being gone is a really good thing for Charming (thematically). It's giving us a chance to see Charming as his own character instead of an extension of Snow. I'm assuming there will be a lot of growth with him while she's gone.

I agree. I was annoyed last week that they pulled Emma and Snow out of Storybrook before the Charmings had a chance to reunite properly, but now I'm glad. Charming just seemed so much more interesting this week (maybe that's just because he's not David). His relationship with Henry is really playing out well, and his character in general is starting to show some growth.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

So Josh Dallas was the grand marshall at his hometown fall parade this past weekend. He saw a young fan with a sign and had to stop. Ginny was there too laying low.

Prince Charming makes a young fans day.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

That is super, super cute on all fronts!

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Awww.. that was precious. :)

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Definitely one of the cool ones.