Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White: The Glass Coffin Gave Her Pause

• Please log in to reply

391 replies to this topic

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 6:28 PM

I just think Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White was casting genius. She had me at "Truthfully, the glass coffin gave me pause." I fell in love with her when she drew Prince Charming's sword and stood up to the Evil Queen instead of hiding behind her prince. I might have even sniffled at the scene where she had to give up Emma. Just a little.

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

I was already crying when she and Prince Charming had to give up Emma, and then I bawled some more when she really started weeping after Prince Charming left.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:17 PM

Snow White is kind of kick-ass, isn't she? Even as Mary Margaret in Maine, she may not realize she's fighting back, but she's doing it all the same. I like this take on her, and I think Goodwin is just the best person they could have got to play her. She's handling it all with such ease and grace.

Just to ice the beautiful cupcake, she even has a natural sweetness to her appearance that fits the modern-classic presentation of Snow's personality. It's a pure accident of physiognomy, but wow, is it ever perfect for the part!

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

Just to ice the beautiful cupcake, she even has a natural sweetness to her appearance that fits the modern-classic presentation of Snow's personality. It's a pure accident of physiognomy, but wow, is it ever perfect for the part!

I think she just looks so ethereal, especially as Mary Margaret. I wish I could remember her exact line of the power of hope and happy endings. Then I'd be marching over to the quotes thread to post it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 2:14 AM

I agree that casting her as Snow White was a great idea. She is able to look like a mature woman while still maintaining a very girlish innocence and optimism. Throwing the prince's sword at the queen was pretty badass.

michellemtsu

michellemtsu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

Snow White is my least favorite Disney princess, but Ginnifer's Snow White is fantastic. I'm really interested to see how she wronged the Evil Queen and met the Prince. She's a great blend of sweetness and badassery.

dansez

dansez

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

I might have even sniffled at the scene where she had to give up Emma. Just a little.

Me too. I also liked the fact that she hobbled up to the prince's body like someone who had just given birth. If she had run to him I would've been annoyed.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

I do love me a good kick-ass Snow White, and so far, Ginnifer Goodwin is doing great. At least she's giving her a personality. I hope this keeps her away from Kate Hudson romantic comedies for a while.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

It's funny but I've been reading a lot of discontent elsewhere about Snow being rescued by Charming in the last episode. I think that if you count the Storybrooke scenes the rescuing is actually about even between Snow and James (he rescued her from the Queen's mooks and then from the trolls, she rescued him from the trolls in turn and then from the river in Storybrooke).

And on top of that the Prince was actually indirectly responsible for the times Snow got into trouble and needed help. He's the one who took her weapons so she couldn't defend herself against the mooks and he was the one who put her in the troll situation by making her get his ring back and bringing along the wanted poster. It only made sense he feel responsible to help bail her out of those situations.

I think if Snow was to never needed help from the Prince ever or visa versa it wouldn't be a damn fairy tale and the characters would come off as being far more over the top and less believable. I liked the neat little team they made in the episode.

Plus, I think just how purely pragmatic she was about her own survival while still staying being a recognizable version of Snow White should get some points too. She was determined to survive and get security on her own without help.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:44 AM

I'm quite impressed with the actress' ability to make Snow White and Mary Margaret so distinct even with their mannerisms. Sometimes, I forget they're played by the same actress. Mary Margaret seems wispy but I like that she shows a steely resolve behind that exterior, especially when dealing with the Mayor.

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:26 AM

I agree, Ginnifer Goodwin has managed to make two endearing versions of a character that are completely distinct from each other. However, sometimes I can see something from Snow White in Mary Margaret at just the right moments (like when she saved Charming James Doe with a kiss).

On a completely unrelated note, I really like her short hair now. I didn't like it in the pilot because it was too short and it made her look frumpy but I think it looks pretty cute at the moment.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

On a completely unrelated note, I really like her short hair now. I didn't like it in the pilot because it was too short and it made her look frumpy but I think it looks pretty cute at the moment.

I hate that rats nest of hair Snow White has in Fairytale land. Her short pixie do in Storybrooke is just kind of meh to me but at least it's neat & clean.

Evil Queen's hair and the Princess in the carriage both have neat, clean & nicely styled hair so it's not like they don't have the capabilities in FTL to get nice updo's. SW's in FTL when she was running around the forest made some sense to be ratty but then, even at the wedding with Charming, and later when they visited Rumpy in the dungeon it looked ratty to me so it the 'wild and wooly' wig they're giving her is just an annoying little touch, for me.

Edited by callietwo, Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:47 AM.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

I'm quite impressed with the actress' ability to make Snow White and Mary Margaret so distinct even with their mannerisms. Sometimes, I forget they're played by the same actress. Mary Margaret seems wispy but I like that she shows a steely resolve behind that exterior, especially when dealing with the Mayor.

I agree. Fairy Tale Land Snow is similar to Emma in some ways. Gruff, strong and all business at first. Someone who will do what needs to be done (like the deal with Rumple). But a pretty decent person who is a sucker for a sweet boy. Not that they are identical but there are strong similarities.

Whereas, Mary Margaret is far more subtle in her strength and defiance but not at all afraid to stand up to Regina in her own quiet way.

It bears repeating that Ginnifer Goodwin is just absolutely perfect for this role. Everyone is pretty well cast but I can't even imagine anyone else who could be Snow White.

I do love me a good kick-ass Snow White, and so far, Ginnifer Goodwin is doing great. At least she's giving her a personality. I hope this keeps her away from Kate Hudson romantic comedies for a while.

Ugh, even if this show was terrible it would be a public service to keep it on to prevent that from ever happening again.

Edited by Betsyb, Nov 13, 2011 @ 5:13 PM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

I really love that Snow uses her ability with animals to recruit them as scouts and messengers. I don't think Disney's Snow White would have thought of that.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 1:53 PM

I'm dragging this over from some analysis I made in the Evil Queen thread,

It seems to me that Snow White really wanted a happy family or at least pleasant company, a place to belong. Either at home with her father, or with her prince and her baby.

Storybrooke is incredibly lonely for her. She lives alone, she teaches kids all day but has none of her own, can't seem to find true love. I think Ginnifer Goodwin believes Mary Margaret suffers from low self-esteem and depression and works that into her portrayal. That not only does Mary not have these things, but that she believes it's somehow her own fault that she doesn't have them. Depression doesn't have to be locking yourself in dark rooms, making suicide attempts, or crying in a corner all day. You can get up and go to work, you can smile at the right times, yet you can still feel absolutely miserable, hopeless, self-hating, lonely, worthless, whatever. You can absolutely feel "cursed", that there must be something wrong with you because there are plenty of people with more difficult lives than you and yet they can be happy and you can't, or they can accomplish things and find success that you do not. And are you nuts, is it all your head and things really aren't that bad and why can't you just feel HAPPY?

So I can see Mary Margaret as possibly going through the motions of life basically, basic survival, working, eating, occasionally working up the nerve or energy for a date, it going badly and her just feeling worse for even trying it. It's a less blatant misery than say solitary confinement in a cold, dark, prison or something, but can still be so darkly painful. And that's the sort of real word pain that every day people deal with all the time in our world. And there's no amount of wishing on a star, or magic fairy dust to just up and cure it and/or bring or give you thing you most desire. And you can spend the rest of your life just trying to keep the mental and emotional darkness from swallowing you up.

But I realized most of it is Mary/Snow analysis. I found myself wondering after this though, let alone love interests, does Mary even have any real friends? (Prior to Emma, prior to John Doe leaving the coma.) Did she have anyone to really talk to or spend time with?

In which case, it would seem in a way, Mary was as emotionally exiled in Storybrooke, as Snow was physically in the Fairy Tale world, prior to her happy ending.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

Boy, Kristen Stewart and Lily Collins sure have their work cut out for them. I don't think I'll be able to visualize anyone other than GG as Snow White.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

Kristen Stewart has too much of an empty look to be Snow White. She's gonna play her all emo and depressed.

Edited by djsunyc, Dec 12, 2011 @ 1:55 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

I found myself wondering after this though, let alone love interests, does Mary even have any real friends? Did she have anyone to really talk to or spend time with?

In which case, it would seem in a way, Mary was as emotionally exiled in Storybrooke, as Snow was physically in the Fairy Tale world, prior to her happy ending.

Mary Margaret would still have been able to derive at least some joy from being able to help others, spending the days with her class and spending her evenings with patients at the hospital. Of course, that could still have been a lonely existence without peers or people her own age to interact with.

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

That would have been mitigated however by time being frozen. She'd never get to see the kids she taught move on to the next grade or the people she volunteered with get well and go home to their families. So there would be no sense of accomplishment there.

Edited by SilverShadow, Dec 13, 2011 @ 10:09 AM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 10:34 AM

From the episode thread:

I can't recall Mary M's previous interaction with Dr. Whale upon which everyone is basing his rat-finkiness. Did he stand her up? If so, it's possible there was a valid reason (like Evil Queen Mayor made him do it while giving his heart a squeeze).

Episode three, Snow Falls. Mary Margaret and Whale are on a date at the diner, he's totally not paying attention to anything she has to say, he's unabashedly ogling Ruby and doesn't bother even offering to pick up the check.

He also tells her that she imagined David grabbing her hand at the hospital when he knew that was utter bullshit.

To be honest, I think they are both in a bad place dating-wise for they both seem to be hung up on people they can't be with, Doctor Whale with someone who's not Ruby and Mary with someone who's not David. I think it's only natural the lack of connection would bring out the worst in each other whether that is Mary yapping without pause to her date or Dr. Whale using the only pause she gave to him to basically state "[David] is not that in to you".

The second date seemed better since they got to second base - and third! - and he was kind enough to send her flowers, which means he does respect her and/or doesn't consider her " just a fling". I don't think he's in love with her any more than she's in love with him, but they did make a connection which is a small miracle considering that, in fairytale canon, neither one is the other's "one true love".

Edited by agora, Dec 16, 2011 @ 12:40 PM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

But we don't know if Regina told Whale to get close to Mary Margaret in order to (1) spy on her for Regina and (2) to hurt her all the more when he DOES dump her. If he'd just walked away after the one night stand it would hurt less than if he gets her hopes up that she is in a relationship and then WAM I'm sleeping with Regina hah hah.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

I don't think so because Mary isn't and Emma - nor Dr. Whale is Graham for that matter - and Regina is the only one in that town who remembers David is Mary's one true love, not Dr. Whale.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

Since he seems to be one of Regina's minions, I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. For all we know he's stringing her along just to get some.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

That's the thing: it seems way too much humiliation/troubles just "to get some" IMO, on both parts.

Edited by agora, Dec 16, 2011 @ 9:14 PM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

Being a straight female I'm not the best judge but wouldn't getting a woman as cute as Mary Margaret into bed be worth some flowers? I don't see how Whale has put all that much effort into the thing for the payoff of "getting some." It isn't like he's giving her diamonds or taking her little kid to baseball games or some such. I could see how THAT would be too much effort for the payoff. Also if the Regina is pulling his strings then he might even bend over backwards if that is what Regina wanted. Heck I've seen shows where people have MARRIED people purely on orders from a superior.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 9:11 AM

I think the flowers showed that Dr. Whale didn't think Mary "owed" him to sleep with him or anything.

Granted, it was technically their third date and they both established this was a casual fling - so no one was going to exchange diamond rings and/or pop the question - but I think the flowers were a nice detail that acknowledged that - pretty or not - Mary had a choice in this: she chose to sleep with him.

... and Dr. Whale was kind enough to reciprocate with a gesture.

Edited by agora, Dec 22, 2011 @ 9:13 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

Of course she chose to sleep with him, otherwise it would be an entirely different issue.

He sent the flowers after Mary Margaret had already called him feeling guilty about the one-night stand. The flowers said to me: "hey, I liked last night and since you called me after, maybe we can do it again sometime?" And I'm not talking about another date.

Given all the other behaviors we've seen from Whale up to this point ie. working as a minion for Regina, I doubt he wants much else from Mary Margaret.

Edited by Tableau, Dec 22, 2011 @ 3:49 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

I think the flowers showed that Dr. Whale didn't think Mary "owed" him to sleep with him or anything.

Granted, it was technically their third date and they both established this was a casual fling - so no one was going to exchange diamond rings and/or pop the question - but I think the flowers were a nice detail that acknowledged that - pretty or not - Mary had a choice in this: she chose to sleep with him.

... and Dr. Whale was kind enough to reciprocate with a gesture.

Of course she chose to sleep with him, otherwise it would be an entirely different issue.

He sent the flowers after Mary Margaret had already called him, feeling guilty about the one-night stand. The flowers said to me: "hey, I liked last night and since you called me after, maybe we can do it again sometime?" And I'm not talking about another date.

Given all the other behaviors we've seen from Whale up to this point ie. working as a minion for Regina, I doubt he wants much else from Mary Margaret.

If anything I think they both seemed clear this wasn't a long term relationship, so there was no need to call him nor send flowers since that's all what they both wanted, but I sure liked to see the two of them respected each other enough to do so.

Edited by agora, Dec 22, 2011 @ 3:52 PM.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

If anything I think they both seemed clear this wasn't a long term relationship, so there was no need to call him nor send flowers since that's all what they both wanted, but I sure liked to see the two of them respected each other enough to do so.

Mary Margaret was pretty clear about the fact that she called Dr. Whale out of a sense of good manners ("I didn't know I wasn't supposed to!") which to me is not the same thing as respect. And any jackass can send flowers, especially if he wants a repeat performance.

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 8:57 PM

I'm still not ready to describe Dr. Whale as a Jackass. We saw Archie giving Henry's records to Emma just to later send her to jail, that's way worse than anything Whale has done to Mary Margaret. Many people in this town appear to be minions of the Evil Queen, which doesn't surprise me since she arranged their memories to give herself that power over them.