Easter Eggs, Allusions, & Shout Outs: Storybrooke? Seriously?

• Please log in to reply

244 replies to this topic

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 3:57 PM

These are after all the same guys who made Lost so we should expect lots of easter eggs. Fun little hints about characters and/or their respected Disney movies or other visual puns, they can all be mentioned and discussed here.

The Pilot had a lot of these. The ones I noticed: the Tinkerbell figuring outside of Granny's B&B, the real boy Pinocchio playing with a whale figuring when we first see him, Leeroy (Grumpy in Fairy Tale land) whistling the Disney Snow White song "Whistle While You Work", Regina having a thing for apples whether as decorations or as apple cider not to mention that mirror in her hallway.

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure there were many more. Please contribute. And if you have a better idea for a thread title, please post those too.

Edited by Tableau, Nov 14, 2011 @ 6:51 PM.

nottadancer

nottadancer

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

mentioned in pilot thread

Emma blows out a blue candle in her birthday cupcake, "when you wish upon a star"

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

Easter Eggs: The Huntsman Hunts

Edited by bbell, Oct 26, 2011 @ 6:49 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

The clock was stuck at 8:15. Wasn't the plane that crashed in Lost Oceanic flight 815?

erinjsnark

erinjsnark

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

from Alexandria Bay in the pilot episode thread:

I enjoyed the Lost shout outs--108, 8:15, opening eye ball, someone named Henry with a foot in each world, and I'm sure something I missed--but I hope they learned from that show's mistakes. I enjoyed the Lost shout outs--108, 8:15, opening eye ball, someone named Henry with a foot in each world, and I'm sure something I missed--but I hope they learned from that show's mistakes.

Love the shout-outs! I never catch this stuff but will enjoy seeing what others point out!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:29 AM

I still think of Easter eggs as the hidden features on DVDs, so maybe something a little more descriptive like "Easter Eggs, Allusions, & Shout Outs"?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

Yeah that would probably be a better choice for title/theme. I'd change it but only mods can do that.

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

I'm wondering if having one thread for allusions to various and specific fairy tales found within OUaT and another thread dedicated to Lost shout outs might be a nice idea. I'm very interested in one but not at all the other, and going by what has already been stated in the Wishful Thinking thread, I don't think I'm the only one. They are two distinct kinds of activities, really. Just a suggestion.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

The whole Snow White and the bluebird scene struck me as a homage since it seemed rather pointless otherwise, and the bird was a shade of blue that made me think it is NOT native to Maine but a fairy tale crossover. I think there is a scene in Disney's Snow White where Snow White charms the forest birds who sit on her finger. (My memory of the movie is clousy at best.) Also, the Disney song Zip-a-Dee-Dah has a line about "Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder."

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

Great idea to separate the Lost shout outs from all the fairy tale references, ReverseFleckerl! I created a new thread just for Lost stuff here.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

Titled edited.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

Thanks Tennison!

Anyway, I don't know if it was a callout or not but Maleficent's mini black unicorn cracked me up.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Can some fairy tale expert tell me who was the old woman with her eyes sewn shut? It felt to me that the image was so specific that it had to relate to some particular story.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

In the Ray Bradbury book Something Wicked This Way Comes, there is a Dust Witch, who has eyes sewn shut and flies around in a balloon.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

In the pre-Disney Cinderella, the stepmother and stepsisters have their eyes pecked out by birds. They're not witches, but basically the entire point of this show is taking liberties with the fairy tales we think we know, so.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

I think she was suppose to be the blind witch from Hansel and Gretal.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Turns out John Does's name is David Nolan. Nolan meaning "champion" in Gaelic.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

I think this belongs here - well, better here than anywhere else, anyway - there seems to be a lot of green. Charming (okay, James, also John Doe, also David Nolan) was sleeping on a dark green pillow when Henry visited him, later changed to white but with a green blanket, Mary Margaret wore a lot of green in the most recent episode... shades of the Enchanted Forest, maybe?

There's a lot of background green in the hospital, too, things that would ordinarily be mostly beige or white. Support machines, patient monitors, even window frames. Now that I'm really noticing, it's all over the place. I think it's got to be a forest call-back.

Edited by HelenBack, Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:50 AM.

SzmuttyPratfall

SzmuttyPratfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 2:16 AM

Is 8:15 a direct reference to Lost? I thought that was more a coincidence. I thought it was a pretty clear allusion to the Atomic bombing at Hiroshima, as there is a famous monument with a clock forever set to 8:15, the time the bomb dropped. It seemed almost like it was a statement, almost as if the "Dark Curse" was fairytale land's Hiroshima.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:26 AM

I also wanted to point out that the box that kept the heart for the curse last episode was sitting on Regina's desk this episode.

Did the troll bridge tonight have anything to do with three billy goats gruff?

Edited by Tableau, Nov 7, 2011 @ 4:27 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:36 AM

I really doubt that 8:15 is a coincidence since Once Upon a Time and Lost have the same producers.

As for the green, it's actually a very common color used in hospitals and mental institutions because it's supposed to be a very calm and soothing color. I learned that bit of trivia in high school when we were told to paint the asylum sets for Harvey a light green color. All of the students thought it was a horrible idea so the director explained the green thing. The machinery and patient monitors being green is a bit unusual though. When stuff like that isn't white, it's often grey, blue, black, or even yellow but I haven't seen green hospital equipment so that must be a forest reference!

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 4:45 AM

As for the green, it's actually a very common color used in hospitals and mental institutions because it's supposed to be a very calm and soothing color.

Not like this. Look again. The place is saturated with it as my late mother's in-hospital hospice care was not. Too bad, she would have liked this. It's gorgeous. And it only appears so when Henry is present.

There's still a lot of green the rest of the time, but when Henry is there, the entire place is suffused with it. I don't think that's an accident in production.

ETA: I might have watched a third time. Not that I'm the show's bitch, or anything... oh wait. I totally am.

Edited by HelenBack, Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:04 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:48 AM

The hospital where my husband had surgery a few months ago had several shades of green throughout the building, from a darker olive to a medium sage to a lighter mint. I think it just varies from place to place.

I found this article which talks about when and why hospitals began using green. I always assumed that the hideous avocado green of the 70s or the pastel bathroom tile green color were they hey day, but apparently it goes back to the beginning of the 20th century.

I don't doubt that all the green was a coincidence either though. Everything on this show has been very deliberate, no matter how subtle. On a related note, I loved the old fashioned nurse's uniforms and little white hats.

Hahaha, but I feel I must go back and rewatch this episode again. You know, for the sake of research. Not because I'm obsessed with this show or anything.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:52 AM

Pee on my hypothesis and observations all you wish, I still like the idea that the green was symbolic. I'm sticking with it.

If you don't think all the varying green means anything, fine. Myself, I'm pretty sure a show as well-constructed as this does things on purpose.

Edited by HelenBack, Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:02 AM.

Dee Sobek

Dee Sobek

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:44 AM

First episode, in Emma's room, there was a tiger (Shere Khan?) next to Minnie Mouse in a chair. This was the scene where Prince Charming puts the baby in the wardrobe.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 7:03 AM

HelenBack, I was agreeing with you. I'm not peeing on anything! I was just pointing out that there ARE hospitals with a lot of green in real life (and that the color was chosen in real hospitals for specific reasons and has been used in hospitals for a long time) so the green used here can be both realistic AND symbolic.

My recent experience was with a hospital that had a ton of green, which happens to be different from what you saw at another place. That doesn't mean either place is outside the norm (it's not like either place had fire engine red walls!). According to the article I linked above, green medical equipment used to be common too. I haven't seen any recently (all the equipment that I saw during my last visit was grey, white, or black) but apparently it exists. But just because it exists in the real world doesn't mean that the set designers didn't choose the color for another reason too. As I said in my previous post, everything done on this show has been very deliberate, no matter how minor.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:54 AM

What would be funny is if the 8:15 was an homage to Lost (it has to be) and the writers acknowledge that show didn't go anywhere (according to many though I loved the show)...and that the clock moving past 8:15 in the pilot was them telling us "hey, this is a different show and we are moving forward" :)

Edited by djsunyc, Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:55 AM.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

The doctor's name was Whale. Could that be a reference to James Whale, the director of Frankenstein - a movie about a doctor of questionable morals?

neptune36

neptune36

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 7:05 PM

Were those Winged Monkeys in the book right after Snow opens to read to James?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 3:59 AM

I swear I saw the three bears from Goldilocks and the Three Bears in the background after Emma changed into Regina's shirt. They were a family of three eating what looked like porridge and the dad muttering that it was hot.