Wishful Thinking: What/Whom You Want To See

• Please log in to reply

255 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Based on the first episode, Once Upon A Time is a great show, but that doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. There's potential for all kinds of characters and plot twists, such as, for example, the Twelve Dancing Princesses could teach dance classes at the local Y and/or run an underground dance club. The princesses and their princes could be from Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance:

Princesses

Cheryl Burke
Anna Trebunskaya
Chelsie Hightower
Karina Smirnoff
Kym Johnson
Lacey Schwimmer
Melanie Moore (S8 SYTYCD winner who bears more than a passing resemblance to Ginnifer Goodwin)
Sasha Mallory
Katee Shean
Allison Holker
Kherington Payne
Lauren Froderman

Princes

Tristan McManus
Dmitry Chaplin
Tadd Gadduang
Mark Kanemura
Pasha Kovalev
Alex Wong
Tony Dovolani
Joshua Allen
Stephen "Twitch" Boss
Jonathan Roberts
Neil Haskell
Danny Tidwell

I would also love to see more Lost shout-outs, such as someone's phone number could be made up of Hurley's lottery numbers, a license plate could have the Dharma logo or someone's ringtone could be "Downtown." I wouldn't mind seeing a former star or two making a guest appearance, such as the Emperor from "The Emperor's New Clothes" running a clothing store being played by Naveen Andrews or Cinderella being played by Elizabeth Mitchell or Sonya Walger, aka "Penny."

Put what or whom you want to see on the show here.

ninahdevi

ninahdevi

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

Ok, I'll play.

I want to see Vasilisa and Baba Yaga(who could be the local pharmacist), a retelling of "east of the sun and west of the moon", and I want the 3 soldiers from the "stone soup' story to be running a restaurant.

Also Puck!!!(If Alice is fair game MND should be too).

Edited by ninahdevi, Oct 25, 2011 @ 12:06 PM.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

I would also love to see more Lost shout-outs, such as someone's phone number could be made up of Hurley's lottery numbers, a license plate could have the Dharma logo or someone's ringtone could be "Downtown." I wouldn't mind seeing a former star or two making a guest appearance, such as the Emperor from "The Emperor's New Clothes" running a clothing store being played by Naveen Andrews or Cinderella being played by Elizabeth Mitchell or Sonya Walger, aka "Penny." -- DollEyes

Personally I do not want to see any Lost shout outs ..... never mind the fact that I stopped watching Lost because it because (in my opinion) it became all about trying to prove how oh so clever the writers were by linking obscure items/people and totally dropping major plot points ….. this show should be able to stand on its own merits, not the shoulders of another show. It becomes to “where’s Waldo.”

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

Personally I do not want to see any Lost shout outs

As I never watched Lost, I don't want to see any Lost shout outs either, because it will only confuse me if it does happen and folks here talk about it.

Frankly, I like the Enchanted Forest/Fairy tale aspect of the show, and I hope they continue to show parts of each...otherwise it's just a show about characters who existed in Fairytale Land, who now live in the present. Boring.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

Not keen on Lost shout-outs. Too much "meta" and too many winks and asides would turn Once Upon a Time from a fairy tale into a pantomime.

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Add me to the list of "do not want Lost shout outs." Didn't watch it; don't care about it. It's like the Firefly Easter eggs on Castle. Well, not exactly, since I loved Firefly and think Castle is boring as all get out. Even so: let the new show be, writers. Stop living in the past. (Ironic turn of phrase when discussing a show built on fairy tales?)

My heart's desire is to see actual, genuine queer characters. Not queer as in: "He bays at the moon when it's full" - as I assume we're going to get that anyway - but queer as in, bats for my team. Non-homicidal, well-adjusted queer women and men. Or at least, no more maladjusted than any other cursed fairy (tale) character.

Lugal

Lugal

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

I want to see Vasilisa and Baba Yaga(who could be the local pharmacist)

That would be awesome. I would like to see Coyote show up, he could be connected to the Big Bad Wolf and try to seduce Ruby/Red or even Emma (not saying he should hook up with either character, but it would be fun to watch him try)

I would love to see some characters from beyond the Grimm-Disney axis like the Hodja, Till Eulinspiegel, or Reynard the Fox, all of whom could play conmen or grifters. Or just throw in some of the Grimm characters we don't always see: Godfather Death, Bluebeard, Iron John or the Goose girl.

And another vote for "no Lost shoutouts"

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

queer as in, bats for my team. Non-homicidal, well-adjusted queer women and men. Or at least, no more maladjusted than any other cursed fairy (tale) character.

I've read a couple of books set in a world where Sleeping Beauty is in love with Snow White and the two of them along with Cinderela work as a team as sort of a fairytale Charlie's Angels. I'd like to see something like that in this universe althogh not necessarily those characters. It would make it interesting if at some point they have the chance to go back to thier fairy tale positions in society but fear they wouldn't be able to continue thier relationships there since to my knowledge no historical Fairy Tale has ever acknowledged homosexuality. I mean what if Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are a closeted couple in this world and the mayor threatens to out them and that is a taste of what would happen if they awaken to thier fairy tale selves. Do you take the blue pill? (Matrix ref)

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Oct 25, 2011 @ 6:54 PM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

I've read a couple of books set in a world where Sleeping Beauty is in love with Snow White and the two of them along with Cinderela work as a team as sort of a fairytale Charlie's Angels.

The Princess Series, by Jim C. Hines. It is extremely awesome. I particularly like the plot point that Sleeping Beauty's faery gifts of grace, intelligence, etc., can be applied to make her the biggest badass in the world.

That's a thing I'd like to see this how tackle: looking into the various plot points and characteristics of the fairy tale characters and taking them to their logical extreme.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Oct 25, 2011 @ 7:11 PM.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

Since seeing Jiminy Cricket as the town shrink and Gepetto as the town janitor was pretty clever, I can imagine the witch from "Hansel & Gretel" running a bakery, Cinderella being a lottery winner and the Fairy Godmother being a stylist. As for not seeing anymore Lost shout-outs, since a couple turned up in the first episode, I'd say that ship has sailed.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

I wonder if any of the fairy tale characters from Andrew Dice Clay will make an appearance :)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

I want to see the unconventional couples of the fairytales: Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, the Princess and the Frog, etc. Because I think this show could add an interesting spin on them.

Edited by agora, Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:53 AM.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

As for not seeing anymore Lost shout-outs, since a couple turned up in the first episode, I'd say that ship has sailed.

Agreed. I'll be happy if they can keep this to an absolute minimum.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 5:06 PM

I'd like to see the Pied Piper make an appearance. And for selfish reasons, any cast member from Chuck.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

I'd love to see the Little Match Girl as a pyromaniac juvenile delinquent, and the Little Mermaid as an exotic pet shop owner. The Princess from The Princess and the Pea doing mattress commercials on TV. (Obviously, I love Hans Christian Andersen stories!)

And we definitely need some trolls. Lots and lots of trolls. Maybe they're the equivalent of white trash in Storeybrooke.

Edited by larapu2000, Oct 27, 2011 @ 5:02 PM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 6:19 PM

Obviously, I love Hans Christian Andersen stories!

I don't think his characters will show up in this show. The Curse strips the characters of their happy endings, and as far as I can remember if any of his characters even had happy endings. The Little Mermaid? Dead. The Little Match Girl? Dead. The Tin Soldier? Melted. The Emperor with the new clothes? Scamed and humiliated.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Oct 27, 2011 @ 6:23 PM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 6:47 PM

Did the Disney version of The Little Mermaid have a happy ending? (I haven't seen it.) Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen has a happy ending and would be fair game.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 6:51 PM

I don't think his characters will show up in this show. The Curse strips the characters of their happy endings, and as far as I can remember if any of his characters even had happy endings. The Little Mermaid? Dead. The Little Match Girl? Dead. The Tin Soldier? Melted. The Emperor with the new clothes? Scamed and humiliated.

Good point. Although, even with some happy endings in the Grimm fairy tales, they are sordid affairs that involve disfiguration and murder, LOL.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

Did the Disney version of The Little Mermaid have a happy ending? (I haven't seen it.)

Yes. Ariel married her prince. Her dad gave her legs again at the end (and he even provided clothes).

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

Did the Disney version of The Little Mermaid have a happy ending? (I haven't seen it.)

Yes. Ariel married her prince. Her dad gave her legs again at the end (and he even provided clothes).

Heh, I was working retail when the Disney version was originally on the big screen. You would not believe the number of women who came through my line with a VHS copy of HCA's The Little Mermaid and excited young daughters. Before ringing it up, I'd lower my voice and ask the mothers, "You're aware this isn't the Disney version, right?"

"Isn't it the same?"

"Umm," check to see where the daughter is, "no. I actually prefer this version, but you should know that she dies."

I sent a lot of disappointed kids home.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 3:16 PM

I prefer the happy endings. Just call me one of the mindless masses. I saw an HCA version first (she was blonde in that one), but I did prefer the Disney. Of course, I like a lot of the Disney movies.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 4:41 AM

I wonder if any of the fairy tale characters from Andrew Dice Clay will make an appearance :)

Jack and Jill went up the hill! For some reason, that one always sticks in my mind.

I'd love to see the little mermaid make an appearance too, maybe as the high school swim coach. I'm hoping that this show goes the Who Framed Roger Rabbit route and shows a bunch of different characters, even if they're just in passing and not part of the main story.

As much as I love the Hans Christian Anderson/Grimm Brothers stories, it would also be nice to see some fairy tale/folk tale characters from other cultures. Again, it doesn't need to be the focus of an entire episode showing how this other character is integral to Snow White's story, but it would just be nice to acknowledge that there are non-European fairy tales/characters. I doubt they'll do it because they probably want the most easily recognizable characters so they don't have to explain who they are to the audience, but hey, this is the wish list, right?

The 12 dancing princesses idea is awesome! Mandy definitely resembles Ginnifer so that could be worked into the story somehow and I LOVE Allison Holker so any excuse to have her back on my tv is welcome.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

And for selfish reasons, any cast member from Chuck.

Zachary Levi would be awesome, because of the reference to Tangled that would involve. No idea who he should play, though. Personally, I'd kind of like to see him go kind of Charles Carmichael and be another Prince Charming.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

About integrating characters in stories from other cultures than we've seen so far, I think it'd be pretty easy to work in Yusuf of The Magic Ring. For the present, he could be just a guy with a gaudy ring, but should he be awakened to his true character, he and that ring could be a major asset in the force for good. And the archetype, the Young Innocent Toughened by Circumstances, fits right in with Snow's story. The two of them might be friends. I'd like to see him turn up.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I would also love to see the Lost Boys from Peter Pan as a street gang on the outskirts of town. As for the Fairy tale princes, some of them could be either Prince Charming's brothers or cousins. For the holidays, there could be characters from holiday-based stories like The Nutcracker and The Gift of the Magi.

And we definitely need some trolls. Lots and lots of trolls. Maybe they're the equivalent of white trash in Storeybrooke.

I can see that. They could live in a trailer park under the bridge and run an extortion racket, with the Lost Boys as their enforcers.

The twelve dancing princesses idea is awesome! Mandy definetely resembles Ginnifer.

Thanks, re the first point, but her name is Melanie, not Mandy. The only Mandy Moores I know are the actress/singer and the SYTYCD choreographer.

Edited by DollEyes, Oct 29, 2011 @ 1:16 PM.

Eris

Eris

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 2:48 AM

For some reason I really want to see the miller's daughter from Rumpelstiltskin's own story.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 3:04 AM

Thanks, re the first point, but her name is Melanie, not Mandy. The only Mandy Moores I know are the actress/singer and the SYTYCD choreographer.

D'oh! Talk about a total brain fart!

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 3:07 AM

I picture the modern day trolls being adolescent boys who spend all their time in the basement wreaking havoc online and playing video games.

Just for the heck of it: I wish I may, I wish I might have Dina Meyer appear on OUaT some night.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

I would love it if Christopher Rich could play Prince Charming's father, since he played Prince Charming in The Charmings

silent

silent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Obviously, I love Hans Christian Andersen stories!

The Wild Swans, The Ugly Duckling, The Princess and the Pea, Thumbelina and of course the Snow Queen all have happy endings (well not for the Snow Queen). But with some exceptions - like the Snow Queen - they are not as well known as the Grimm characters/fairy tales.