Once Upon a Time Meet Market

• Please log in to reply

472 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:28 PM

With TWoP shutting down, please use the remaining time and this thread to figure out where you'll want to discuss the show after May 31. And everyone be respectful to NBC and the site in your posts, please. Thanks.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

So, hi.

Back in the day, as part of an English unit, I had to choose a work of fiction to speak from, and chose storytelling. Was never really good at it, but I got a taste for fairy tales, which I've occasionally indulged over the years. I suppose it's like being a vegetarian who occasionally lusts for steak, medium-rare.

I've been around here a lot.

Carpedi7

Carpedi7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 6:00 PM

Hi! Well my Senior English Thesis paper was on comparing and contrasting Disney style Fairy Tales to their original counterparts. I've always loved reading and fairy tales but this made me take a close look at it and I have loved them ever since. I knew this show could very well be my new favorite not to miss show.

Was big into the Veronica Mars meet market and have posted occasionally in a few other forums. Favorite past shows are Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Veronica Mars. Current favorites The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, All CSI, Criminal Minds, Ringer, Psych just to name a few. I'm a bit of a tv crazy person.

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 7:47 PM

Heya! I'm a sucker for fairytales whether their original forms , the Disney versions, or any other retellings.

I'm also a big fan of Buffy, and to a lesser extent, Charmed as well as lots of other shows.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

I was a fan of Buffy back in the day too. Charmed, not so much, though I appreciated the determination of the Charmed TWoPers to snark on every little thing.

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

Demian's recaps for Charmed are a thing of beauty. I'm kinda hoping if Sueprnatural ends this year and OUAT gets a second season the PTB move him over here. Not that I have anything against Cindy of course.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

I think Demian's Charmed recaps are a case of being in the wrong place at the right time.

As for Cindy, hi!

michellemtsu

michellemtsu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm a big fairytale/fantasy fan. And just generally a geek. I loved the concept of this and once Jennifer Morrison was cast I was in. Yes, I'm one of the people who loved her on House. ;)

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

I like fairy tales in general, and in college I took a lit class on fairy tales and children's literature as an elective (which was soooooo fun - we read a wide range of stuff from the original Pinocchio to the first Harry Potter book), so I'm really excited about Once Upon a Time.

I'm also a former Buffy & Veronica Mars fanatic (I'd say that time has tamed me into being mildly obsessive about both of them as opposed to the full blown crazy that I used to be). Like Carpedi7, I love The Vampire Diaries, Ringer, and Psych. Revenge, Pretty Little Liars, Nikita, and Person of Interest are also on my list of shows that must be watched. Heh, making a list like that just made me wonder if I watch a little too much tv.

I'm glad this show is being recapped because I'm sure that I missed a lot of details while watching the pilot!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 7:45 AM

Glad to see Cindy will be doing the recaps. Cindy's recaps for No Ordinary Family last season was almost the best thing about that show. I really hope this is a more pleasant experience, heh. Right now, I'm optimistic.

I'm a big fantasy fan, so I'm in it for the long hall. I'm glad we have a fantasy show that will be well-done, but fun. I love, love Game of Thrones, but that show really can be dark and even depressing at times, so I'm hoping this could be a decent counter-weight. Still mourning the lost of my favorite fluffy fantasy show, Legend of the Seeker.

And I've kind of had bad luck with new shows this season, so I would like to add this to the love category. As it's stand, the only new show I love so far is Person of Interest. I actually enjoy Pan Am, but I'll admit it has several flaws (and the ratings are low), Prime Suspect seems to have a lot of potential, but it's taking a while to get there, A Gifted Man is wasting a great cast with spotty writing, Tera Nova is entertaining, but kind of dumb, The Playboy Club was boring, Last Man Standing is just Home Improvement with daughters, and Charlie's Angels was horrid. But if the pilot is any indication, this show could be joining the love category very soon.

Edited by thuganomics85, Oct 25, 2011 @ 5:53 PM.

tjl

tjl

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

Like Carpedi7 (Hi!), I was big into the Veronica Mars Meet Market (and obviously the show). My favourite new show is probably Revenge, but this may be a close second. While there are other shows I watch regularly, I think only Castle and Doctor Who are must watch.

While I love fantasy, I hate Game of Thrones (but liked Legend of the Seeker).

I came to this show because I like Jennifer Morrison and I wanted to see if this could stand up to the wonderful Fables comic series.

Carpedi7

Carpedi7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 12:27 PM

Hi tjl long time no see!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Legend of the Seeker was more fun than the first few episodes let on.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 4:53 PM

Hi all, I adore fairy tales, myths, folktales and the like in general (straight, grimmified, disneyfied, all in their own ways). I was really into Buffy and Veronica Mars (the latter is actually the show that I became part of these forums for, even though it was Joan of Arcadia I read the recaps for first). The only other Meet Market I've been involved in was the one for the Office, but for a while it was the only reason I even went to that forum, and I drifted. I came to this show because of that love (I do note the similarities to Fables, which I also love, but I think its different enough to work) and because I do like Jennifer Morrison (though mostly for her smaller roles, Grind, Stir of Echoes and the like) and hope that she'd finally picked a role where most people wouldn't hate her guts. And with casting announcements coming out, there's a lot more performers I like coming, so it fits my love of ensemble casts too.

I had a bunch of new shows I watched this year, but this is the first that's REALLY clicked. I enjoy Pan Am, but not obsessively. Terra Nova is fun but not engrossing. The Secret Circle seemed to be improving but then lost it. Prime Suspect has tons of potential, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere with it.

Other current shows I watch are Doctor Who, Fringe, Psych, Chuck, Community and Raising Hope. I occasionally watch Glee, Criminal Minds and the Big Bang Theory.

Previous big fandoms (besides Buffy and Veronica Mars) are Lost, Firefly, Farscape, Avatar the Last Airbender, House (still watching to get the conclusion of a bet with a close friend) and Pushing Daisies.

tjl

tjl

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

Hi tjl long time no see!

Yep. I'm not really around LJ these days. I check my Twitter regularly, though.

I tried The Secret Circle and I think I've given up. It's too bad, because I like Phoebe Tonkin from H2O (whose H2O cast mate is now on The Vampire Diaries).

I want to like Prime Suspect, but I agree that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Terra Nova would be more interesting if they didn't make the family the story focus. They have an interesting setting, but seem more interested in making a family drama with interesting asides.

Megamos

Megamos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

Hi Carpedi7 I'm new to this particular show's forum and I usually don't post, but I had to say that your Thesis topic sounded really interesting and that I would totally read it. I like the historical aspect of fairy tales, like how they got started and why. And also how they differ from culture to culture. Disney's fairy tales can be so different from the origionals. I'm interested to see the Show's versions of the fairy tales and so I will definately be watching.

Dee Sobek

Dee Sobek

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

Hi I'm Dee

I've always loved fantasy and fairy tales, so this show is right up my street. I'm currently reading Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, catching up on Keri Arthur's Guardian series and completely in love with Harry Dresden.

This show is now must-see TV for me, along with Fringe, Dr Who, The Fades, Grimm, Criminal Minds, The Big Bang Theory and The Mentalist.

I love how these forums are giving me so much inspiration to dig out obscure fables/fairy tales/videos, you guys are so knowledgeable and interesting :)

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

Hello Everyone!
I've neglected to introduce myself, I guess I've been caught up in "my own little world"!

I am a dreamer by nature, being a Pisces, and have always been fascinated by mythical stories, legends, fairy tales, and fables, etc. As a child, my grandfather had a Used Book store in a cottage on a main road in a small town in Massachusetts. So I can easily relate to this show. I am a 44 year old child! hehe!

I look forward to this creative show that has enormous possibilities. Traditional stories have been altered and retold over the centuries, as well as new ones that each storyteller puts a unique twist on.
I think this show lets our imagination run away with the writers and speculate and create our own journey.

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

Hi. *waves*

I guess I should do one of these introduction things. Here goes.

I am a fan of fantasy, a Whedonite and a Lostie. I like mythology, mostly the beasties though to be honest. My knowledge of fairytales is limited to Jacob Grimm and Disney, hoping that should be enough to get me by with this show. If not, I shall hopefully pick up the rest. :)

As a poster here, I am quiet and nervous, probably wont post too often (although, I do jabber away on twitter, no one is listening. :) ). What I do post probably wont be too intelligent or grammatical, but I shall try. *nods*

Looking forward to seeing where this show takes us.

buebug

buebug

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:14 PM

Hi All,

I've been around off and on for years, but have only recently started posting more frequently. So, thought I'd do my first introduction.

Back in the day I was a huge fan of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls, etc. My current favorites are Community, Castle, Ringer, and to a lesser extent Bones and How I met your mother(both are getting a bit tedious these days).

I love fairy tales and am a fan of Angela Carter's retelling of them along with all the other non-Disney versions of them. Don't get me wrong growing up Disney was pretty awesome, but now it's nice to see them from a different point of view. I'm looking forward to see where the show is going and seeing as much Robert Carlyle as possible.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

It's funny I don't think I'd ever have described myself as a big fan of fairy tales or especially fantasy. I love Scifi. I like the "rules" Scifi imposes with needed a technological explanation where as I usually find fantasy "rules" either overly fluid or overly contrived. Plus good scifi is usually a commentary on current society.

I have always liked the story of Hansel and Gretel though. I love that Gretel was always the one ultimately responsible for freeing them. I have had an interest in the written versions vs. Disney versions of stories. My sister always read everything and would be quick to tell me "Ack, but in the real story X happens at the end and it's very sad!"

I love spies (obviously, see screenname), detectives, but I also like shows with strong female leads. I really have trouble staying interested/invested in show where it's basically a bunch of guys running around and no female characters of substance. (Usually, the wife, the girlfriend, the secretary etc. does not count.) So I really love Once is a show with 3 female leads and I love the themes involving family.

I really did not expect to be interested in this show, but saw the advance of the pilot on IMDB and I loved it. I usually don't like pilots so that I liked this one a lot impressed me. The last time I loved a pilot was Alias so I had/have fairly high hopes.

I did watch Lost but stopped being invested in it in maybe S3? I basically decided the creators/writers were liars and were not ever going to resolve things in the way the promised. I was disappointed in the end but not devastated or scarred in any way. I can't say there's very many shows I've ever watched where I thought the final season/episodes of it were great/fantastic and I'm a person who does not have my previous enjoyment of something ruined by what comes next. So if I dislike what happens in Season 5 of a show, I don't feel like I wasted my time watching the previous 4 seasons that I loved and enjoyed. So my opinion of Lost doesn't make me at all worried about enjoying this show for as long as I enjoy it.

Mad Rhymes

Mad Rhymes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I've never really thought of myself as a fan of sci fi- but have always really enjoyed fantasy movies, but not necessarily tv shows. I saw the previews for OUaT but didn't tune in until a couple weeks after it started. I sat down to watch the pilot on my computer and ended up watching the first 4 episodes and hating that I had to wait until Sunday to see a new one.

I think part of the draw for me is that it is based on the Snow White story- Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was my favorite book growing up. It's great to see the characters come alive and have a story outside of the book. I'm hoping the writers continue to do them justice.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Dragging this over from Speculation Without Spoilers:

This may be the wrong place for this but I have to say it:

I have decided that I would enjoy it more if I knew all of the plot twists to come. If someone could sit me down and say "ok this person is bla bla bla and this will happen then this. It is all leading to yadda yadda and finally he finds him and together they defeat her and henry is his grandson and the last scene is back in enchanted land with Emma dressed magnificently as the princess she is marrying her twoo love 'somebody' while Rumple and Bae stand together smiling while everyone truly lives happily ever after."

I don't like not knowing and I don't like waiting. This summer will be awful. I want to read the last page in the book before I read the book.

Isn't that what the spoiler thread is for? But I suppose you want spoilers for the entire rest of the series rather than just this season or next episode. It's funny because I want the opposite. I want to know less. I hate that the sneak peaks information is currently spread ALL OVER this board and tumblr and the fandom in general. I miss the old days when the only way you were getting a clip of an upcoming episode was if you watched an interview with the star the week it was airing. For me, this takes a lot of the fun out of it. To me knowing every thing means sitting down to watch a brand new episode is practically watching a rerun.

I go see movies usually opening week or not at all because the previews change and become more spoileriffic after that. You get one chance to see an entire episode all the way through unspoiled. ONE chance. And grr, it's all wrecked by having pictures and videos all over the internet 3-5 days before each episode. I am actually excited about a blissful break from the season finale until probably July when they start filming again where there's no chance of spoilers where I can wander the fandom and tumblr and this site to my heart's content without a single chance of unwanted information.

But it also helps that I'm quite accepting of the fact I may hate the last season or the last episode a show (and these days that seems to be more likely than not) but I'll still have enjoyed the seasons before and it doesn't make me feel like I wasted all my time before hand. It becomes much more about the middle of the story than the last chapter of the book. And there's nothing quite like being in the middle of an invested fandom with all the insanity that entails. The enjoyment of all the 'shipper names, let alone character fandom names and their catch phrases, the podcasts, and cast twitters makes it all worth it to me no matter how the actual show ends.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I agree with you, Aliasscape. I had a brief history with spoilers at the beginning of season four of Charmed. At first, it was really freakin' nifty, knowing all kinds of plot developments and such a couple months ahead of the episode's airing. But by the time the episode actually aired, it was like, "But ... I know all this already."

Then for one episode, I either didn't get the spoilers or purposely avoided the spoilers and found out I liked it so much better that way. I became a complete spoiler-phobe then and there and never looked back.

I was one of the few people who was absolutely addicted to CBS's Harper's Island a couple summers back, and what sucked about that was Canada got each episode two days before the US did. So for that 48 or so hours between the episode airing in Canada and the episode airing here, I couldn't look for *anything* Harper's-related online for fear of being accidentally spoiled.

Because, for me, the anticipation of things to come is a large part of what makes something like this fun. I like coming up with my own theories and reading everyone else's theories and seeing how close the audience gets to what ends up really happening. I completely agree that the wait is maddening and frustrating, and I'm probably as impatient as they come, but I don't think it'd be as fun without it.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Its funny- I'm a complete spoiler whore. The only show I ever completely resisted was Lost. While watching the first season finale of Veronica Mars (one of the last times I was spoiler free- I didn't know where to look) was extremely nice, I've found they don't affect my enjoyment much. Hell, I spoiled myself to Xanadu and back for the Cabin in the Woods and still loved it.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I'd totally be a spoiler whore if it didn't affect my enjoyment of things so much. It kinda bums me out, in all honesty, because I know there's a whole slew of discussion based upon spoilers that I'm missing out on.

What's really odd with me, though, is I'm a rewatcher. (I'm also a rereader, which my mother doesn't quite understand.) If I enjoy something, I can watch it over and over again to my heart's content; I don't even want to tell you how many times I've seen Titanic. But the first time I see something, I have to be unspoiled.

It's weird, haha.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

For me spoilers usually don't affect my overall enjoyment of things. Sometimes I can do with or without spoilers but sometimes they make me more interested in the episode to come for a show that I was losing interest in or a book. Well for books I sometimes like to know how they end before I finish reading them. I like my happy endings, at least in novels, so I sometimes check to make sure everything turns out ok before I finish reading or else it kind of feels like a complete waste of time for me.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I'm a rewatcher

OUAT is a great series for rewatching. The pilot is especially good to rewatch. You see all the little elements in it that whose significance you couldn't have known the first time through.

For at least the first half of the season, on first viewing, I liked the Fairy Tail stories and kind of felt Emma's Storybrooke plot was secondary. But now on rewatch, and then on the new episodes, I've completely switched. Emma's story is the one that grabs my attention. I didn't care for The Price of Gold or True North the first time through. Now I rewatch Emma's scenes in them a lot. Emma's lecture to Ashley in the car going to the hospital (with Henry hanging on every word) and her negotiation with Gold in the hospital are two of the best scenes in the entire show. True North is a complete Emma masterpiece.

Edited by metaphysicist, Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:51 AM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

It's funny because I want the opposite. I want to know less. I hate that the sneak peaks information is currently spread ALL OVER this board and tumblr and the fandom in general.

I totally agree with you. I never watch previews for any TV series that I care about. I don't even want to know which character has this week's backstory. There's nothing like finding out as you're watching and being happy that a favorite character has the focus this week, or being completely surprised at developments.

The negatives of going on message boards, is that preview info and even speculation creeps into show discussions, so I end up finding out a little bit about upcoming episodes. But for me, the positives of being able to discuss a show outweighs that.

I decided to watch this show for several reasons. One is that I really liked the storytelling style of "Lost", which this show is very similar to. I really enjoyed the first four and a half seasons of "Lost" because they did such a good job with the characters intertwined with the mystery and sci-fi elements. Although I was disappointed in the final season, I have rewatched the first five seasons and still enjoy it. Like Aliascape, I also have found there are very few shows which have remained awesome in the final season. In fact, most shows I've watched seems to have only three really good seasons before it spirals out, so any show that still maintains that quality into the fourth and fifth season gets major props from me.

My other reason for watching the show is, I've always enjoyed fairy tale adaptations as well. I also like fantasy movies set in other worlds like "Lord of the Rings" or the Oz or Narnia series, and sci-fi shows with time travel (not so much space travel or other planets though).

So far, I've enjoyed the episodes up to the winter break the most. Since then, there seems to be ups and downs with this show, but overall, I still really like the characters and the concept, so while I'm a bit wary and try not to watch with too high expectations, I am really hoping and rooting for the show to last a good number of seasons, so we can see as many fairy tales play out as possible.

Edited by Camera One, Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:12 PM.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

OUAT is a great series for rewatching. The pilot is especially good to rewatch. You see all the little elements in it that whose significance you couldn't have known the first time through.

Oh, good! I remember telling one of my friends that I couldn't wait for the DVDs to come out because I had a funny feeling the show would be a blast to marathon the hell out of.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I love to rewatch episodes of shows I love and definitely love rewatching Once. (I've saved it on my DVR since day one for repeated viewing.) I've watched the pilot like a dozen times (probably more than any other Pilot except the one for Alias), about the same amount for "Hat Trick", closely followed by "True North" which I loved from day one for all the Emma insights and then "Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and "Heart of Darkness" have also gotten a lot of replay. Every other episode I've seen around 4-5 times (except the Return which I think is at 3, because well, it's not even been a week.) Helps me keep everything very solid and organized I think to rewatch them all so much. I always have to remind myself most people haven't seen all the episodes that many times whenever people are complaining about how confusing the timeline is or don't recall minor details about which character knows what or when they found out.

I've probably said this before but the expressiveness of Lana Parrilla and Ginny Goodwin especially also makes the show kinda awesome on mute. Without the sound distractions you can just watch their faces emote and it's fascinating.

I don't get up in arms about minor casting spoilers and am not spoilerphobic enough to NOT watch the promos. (Though I want to avoid them for the last two episodes. This week will be my practice, next week of course the true test) Fandom involvement is definitely worth more than not knowing Barbara Hershey was coming. Following the cast on twitter is especially way too awesome to give up.

Camera One, I do find the show had more direction/momentum for episodes 1-7, that I feel it didn't regain until episode 15. I love a lot of episodes in between 7 and 15 but the overall plotline and character development definitely meanders around then.

Edited by Aliasscape, Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.