Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers (Promo talk goes here, too!)

• Please log in to reply

2150 replies to this topic

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I buy that the Queen of Hearts could be Cora or a sister but not that Cora was related to Snow's mother because it certainly would have been mentioned in the episode if Cora was Leopold's sister-in-law (which incidentally would have made Snow and Regina first cousins and that hasn't been mentioned at all in the series).

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Well in the theory I cooked up, (naturally I went ahead and imagined a whole storyline based around the crackpot theory), no one but Cora would have known they were related, because the White Queen never told anyone she had an estranged sister, so it wouldn't have been mentioned on the show (yet).

Cora gets pissed that her estranged sister has it all, the King, the beautiful daughter, so she sends her packing to Wonderland and that's how Snow's mother "was lost", no one actually knows what happened to her but she's presumed dead. Then Cora marries her daughter Regina to the now single King, and sets it up so Regina is the evil stepmother to Snow, all part of the plan to take away White Queen's happily ever after. Then later, when Regina gains power, (and has now discovered about her mother's sister), she banishes Cora to Wonderland so she'll be forever tormented in a power struggle there with the estranged sister she'd thought she'd gotten rid of. Could explain why Queen of Hearts got so shitty that someone else was referred to as "queen", especially someone else in her own family.

Anyway, they may not even have plans to use the White Queen as a character at any point, and we may never flash back to meet Snow's mother, whoever she was, but the White Queen theory for her fits in my head. I mean, really, who names their kid Snow White? White Queen totally would.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

August is Mr. Gold's son.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Perhaps the reason August is an adult while Pinocchio is a boy (assuming, of course, that August is Pinocchio) is that Giupetto carved Pinocchio and had him around for thirty years or so before he became a boy so that is the age he became in our world.

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I hope Pinocchio dies! That wouldn't be a happy ending for Gepetto, but I don't care! Die Pinocchio die! Why would he be turning back to wood? Why wouldn't he have been transported to this world as a marionette already? Why would Pinocchio be the writer of The Book? If the lies he is telling are bothering him, why wouldn't his nose be growing? That at least would be more amusing than his leg cramps. Ha, maybe if his nose started getting longer, Emma would see it and finally believe.

WestCar20

WestCar20

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

At the start of the episode, I felt they were trying too hard to make us believe August is Bae. I feel the same way about August being Pinocchio. Pinocchio should be a puppet in Storybrook, since there is very limited magic. Unless he became a real boy by a human inhabiting the puppet form. Here are my current guesses.
1. The Blue Fairy is evil.
2. Bae became the Wizard fo Oz. (Bae was not transported to the world in which Storybrook resides. He was transported to Oz, assumed a Wizard and after 28 years, went by ballon to Kansas knowing all that had happened in the other Fairy Tale realms. He met and married someone, they had a child to whom Bae told the stories from the Fairy Tale world. The child grew up and created a book all of the storied he had been told. As he aged, he developed some kind of genetic disorder that comes from a fairy tale character breeding with someone from our world and he needs magic to heal.)
3. August is Bae's son who found Emma when she came through the tree.
4. Archie is both Jiminy and Pinocchio. (If the puppet Pinnochio was not taken over by a human, he would have turned back to wood when the curse was enacted. All of the people who took on other forms returned to people when the curse hit. Besides, if Red can be the wolf, why can't the cricket be the puppet?)

I'm sure I'll change my mind about the last three by next week, but this is where I stand now.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

4. Archie is both Jiminy and Pinocchio. (If the puppet Pinnochio was not taken over by a human, he would have turned back to wood when the curse was enacted. All of the people who took on other forms returned to people when the curse hit. Besides, if Red can be the wolf, why can't the cricket be the puppet?)

We saw Jiminy and Pinocchio together in the war room during the pilot. They're two separate characters.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Isn't she called Snow White because her mother made a wish that her lips would be red as blood and her skin as white as snow?

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Assuming from "The Return" that 1) Baelfire's magic beanhole brought him to the same world that StoryBrook is in, and 2) August isn't him, he should be somewhere in this world. What if he's Henry's father?

The only problem with this theory is that Baelfire was presented as a good soul and Henry's father was supposedly a dick to Emma. Plus, it would be kind of weird if Gold coincidentally acquired his own grandson for Regina.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

The only problem with this theory is that Baelfire was presented as a good soul and Henry's father was supposedly a dick to Emma.

Teenager!Bae was abandoned by his father. I can easily see him developing some serious issues about this.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

it would be kind of weird if Gold coincidentally acquired his own grandson for Regina.

Gold and coincident don't go together. Do you really think Gold got Henry by accident?

FreakerThanThou

FreakerThanThou

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

it would be kind of weird if Gold coincidentally acquired his own grandson for Regina.

Gold and coincident don't go together. Do you really think Gold got Henry by accident?

But that would imply that he knew that Henry's father was Bae, so how would he have been convinced by August's act? I think Henry's father is important and possibly a fairy tale character, and if he is, Gold knows it and may have even orchestrated him meeting Emma (how squicky is that). But the last episode seemed pretty clear that he doesn't know where Baelfire is.

I could buy August being Bae's son, but if he knew about the story from his father, he had some serious knowledge gaps. I just don't see how Bae could have explained the story of coming to this world because his Papa was evil and magical but not have mentioned that there's no magic in this world.

Sudden thought: August called Gold "Papa". Was it just a lucky guess that that was what Bae always called his father, or is he someone who knew one or both of them?

Also, random side theory unrelated to August/Bae, but I think that if the woodsman from Little Red Riding Hood ever shows up (although since Red was the wolf I have no idea what context he would appear in, but they might find a way to fit him in) it'll be either Hansel and Gretel's father, or Graham. Because there can't be that many Woodsmen/Huntsmen running around.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

To all those who think Bae should be older in this world, if Rumple spent centuries perfecting the Curse, don't you think he would have ensured that it brought him here at the right time for Bae to be not just alive, but a relatively young man?

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

To all those who think Bae should be older in this world, if Rumple spent centuries perfecting the Curse, don't you think he would have ensured that it brought him here at the right time for Bae to be not just alive, but a relatively young man?

I'd think if Rumpel had control over the timing of the curse or knew the time the bean sent Bae to that he would set it up so that curse-breaking time would be just about the time Bae arrived in this realm - why let him spend the last of his childhood as an orphan?

Deutsie

Deutsie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

Good point, Tzigone. What would be even more interesting to me (since they're playing with the space/time continum) would be if Bae hasn't even arrived yet. I would love to see a vortex open in Storeybrooke and Bae popping out.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

Perhaps Rumpel could only control the parameters of the curse so far and the curse brought him to Bae, but not at a specific point in Bae's life.

Also, random side theory unrelated to August/Bae, but I think that if the woodsman from Little Red Riding Hood ever shows up (although since Red was the wolf I have no idea what context he would appear in, but they might find a way to fit him in) it'll be either Hansel and Gretel's father, or Graham. Because there can't be that many Woodsmen/Huntsmen running around.

Wasn't the woodsman Red Riding Hood's boyfriend and was killed by the wolf before Red knew she was the wolf?

Medieval Girl

Medieval Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Red's boyfriend Peter was a blacksmith.

Speaking of metal ... There had been speculation that August was the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. Perhaps I'm over thinking things but when Gold caught August in his shop in the Return, August was looking at two old fashioned oil cans.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Medieval Girl, I think the Tin man could be a possibility.. Pinocchio & Baelfire being intentional misleads.

It would shock me if Henry were Mr. Gold's grandson.. I cannot imagine him allowing Regina to raise his grandson and Emma would have recognized August (if he were the father).

I don't think Mr. Gold expects Bae to not have aged, otherwise he would not have suspected August might be Bae.. he didn't even recognize him definitively after all these centuries. I would guess that Mr. Gold has checked all of the boys of Storybrooke looking for Bae.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

The dramatic possibilities that ensue if Henry's father is a Fairy Tale Land exile are great; not so much if his father is from the mundane world.

Francie N.

Francie N.

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

From "The Return" thread:

Is there any chance we could figure out August Booth's actual identity from his name? Snow White became Mary Margaret Blanchard ("blanc" means white). The Evil Queen became Regina (latin for "queen"). Jiminy Cricket became Archie Hopper. Rumpelstiltskin became Mr. Gold. Red Riding Hood became Ruby. The mirror became Sidney Glass.

The characters (Emma was having a conversation with someone else, I forget now) have specifically said on the show that the name was an alias. And they also drew attention to the fact that he has a middle initial.

Personally, I think August W. Booth is a self-chosen alias by August and the initials A.W.B. stand for: A Wooden Boy.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

The dramatic possibilities that ensue if Henry's father is a Fairy Tale Land exile are great; not so much if his father is from the mundane world.

I agree on Henry's father. However, I'll be disappointed if SOMEONE doesn't show up who is an "other". It'll be boring if everyone who ever appears on this series is from one of the magic worlds. It doesn't need to be this season or even next season. Just sometime. There are plenty of cool opportunities for integrating outside world people who have some sort of investment in this business. For example, Alice could be a real girl from our world who fell into one of the very few portals that exist in our world (maybe even though our world isn't technically magic, every world has "soft spots" like in Fringe). She went to Wonderland and then went home and told Lewis Carroll about it. The Wizard was a regular guy from our world who went to Oz and then went home (but ended up living there in late books). So Alice (or Lewis Carrol) could have a descendent who thinks there's something in the story (maybe there's a diary or something?). Or the Wizard could have had an ex-wife and a grand-kid who always believed his papa's psycho tales, and now the grand-kid is a middle-aged man. Something like that would be a way to get other people involved and also create more interesting ties to our world.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Since I'm still desperately clinging to any straw that he's not Pinnochio I'm going to say that the donkey paperweight is Eeyore and he's Christopher Robin ;P

Edited by Tricksterson, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Since I'm still desperately clinging to any straw that he's not Pinnochio I'm going to say that the donkey paperweight is Eeyore and he's Christopher Robin ;P

Oh! I love that! That would be adorable! Anything but Pinocchio, Please! ;)

rcoast911

rcoast911

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Here is my guess as to who Pinocchio is: Dr. Whale

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Oh my god, yes please! That would be completely adorable.

I would buy that if Pinocchio had left Storybrooke to grow up and somehow came back before Emma, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by jessied112, Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:38 PM.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

That's what I had considered before, too. Except now if he arrived before the curse hit, he would have aged like Emma, making him about the right age, but he should still have his memories, so I don't know how they would explain that. Also, if he he came with the curse like everyone else, then he would not have aged being frozen in time.

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Does anyone think Bae might end up being bad whenever he shows up? He was so good in Fairy Land, but then his father let him fall into a new and unfamiliar realm all alone. He might have suffered some hard times and maybe he went around the bend after all that. I'm kind of afraid that whenever he shows up, he's going to be evil.

ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Perhaps Rumpel could only control the parameters of the curse so far and the curse brought him to Bae, but not at a specific point in Bae's life.

I think it might also be possible that the curse hasn't been fully enacted yet, and maybe that's why Rumpel wants Emma to believe. Henry said in the pilot that believing is what makes something real. Maybe Emma's belief, rather than completely destroying the curse, is what will make it fully realized, with Bae then being vortexed or whatever to Storybrooke. Rumpel has no reason to need the curse broken that I can think of. If he can already leave, he doesn't need it broken to do so. If he can't, he still is apparently capable of communication with the outside world, so he can look for Bae without leaving, but I don't see how he could find him in all of time and space through conventional methods anyway. The only way he can actually narrow down Bae's time/space location is through magic, so maybe the curse he designed to do so is capable of bringing him Bae, but it just isn't complete yet, and that's what he needs Emma's belief for. Belief makes things real, and since she's the special snowflake, her belief specifically is what will make the curse fully real and reunite him with Bae. The rest of it, what happens to the Storybrookians, is probably incidental to Rumpel.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I would guess that Mr. Gold has checked all of the boys of Storybrooke looking for Bae.

How could Bae be a boy in Storybrooke. There are exactly 3 people in Storybrooke who were not brought there by the Curse, and only one of them could have been Bae, but we now know he isn't.

myamya

myamya

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Just a quick thought....Do you think that Rumple was in the business of makeing deals so he could find someone desperate enough to inact the curse? The other witch had the curse at some point. Not sure yet how she got it. I just wonder that once he had is plan in motion, he just needed someone to actually do it. Enter Regina.