SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

There's also a video on the official facebook with Ginnifer Goodwin here

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Finale ratings fast nationals, 3.2! and 9 mill viewers. Desperate Housewives had more viewers with the same rating so it won the night but I like to think Once boosted DH's ratings.

Either way, nice numbers to go out on for the finale.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

ABC just released the schedule for 2012-2013, on Sundays it'll be:
8:00 p.m. “Once Upon A Time”
9:00 p.m. “Revenge”
10:00 p.m. “666 Park Avenue”

Sounds good to me :D I love Revenge and OUAT and plan to check 666 too.

Update: It got adjusted up to 3.3 too and won the night (DH wasn't adjusted up and remained at 3.2)

Edited by LisaJ, May 15, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Looks solid. I figured they wouldn't mess with the day and time at this point. Why bother when it's winning its time slot and usually the scripted programming race (if not the night entirely) consistently? How's the buzz on "Revenge" lately? Seems like it's died down. I hope they have a finale that boosts interest in it again next year.

The 3.3 adjust up surprised me though. Nice!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

ABC just released the schedule for 2012-2013, on Sundays it'll be:
8:00 p.m. “Once Upon A Time”
9:00 p.m. “Revenge”
10:00 p.m. “666 Park Avenue”

That's a viewing schedule that I can live definitely live with. I always felt that "Revenge" would be a perfect companion show (only featuring a different kind of wicked witch, if you know what I mean), and if the "666" in "666 Park Avenue " has the sort of significance that it often does (i.e, Satan's area code), then I'd say we're in for a perfect storm of magic and high drama this fall.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Once Upon a Time Facebook page posted a trailer for 666 Park Ave here
It has Lost alumni Terry O'Quinn (John Locke)!

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

A look at Sunday's night primetime schedule in a chart with all the shows on broadcast that night so you can see our competition. At the bottom is the comparison chart of what last season looked like.

Here's hoping they manage an amazing premiere. I think very few dislike the curse being broken/finale as a whole enough to purposefully quit watching. But I haven't seen a lot of new people thinking of just leaping in either. Most are like, if I catch up on the DVR/online, if ABC shows reruns, if I get the DVDs/Blu-ray, THEN I'll watch Season 2. I want a great season premiere but to me that'd mostly involve going deep into mythology of the curse breakage, new magic, and family reunions and motivations of Rumpel and Regina. Those things might be hard to meld into a premiere that won't scare away anyone brand new who didn't pull a catch-up session over the summer.

Revenge got a retrospective this season, likely because of its long break. Depending on how the Revenge finale goes, another one might be in order. I wonder if there's any chance for Once to get one before the premiere.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I think they could use the intro to once again set up the season, for viewers who either have never watched the show before, or watched part of S1 and are returning for S2.

It is slightly more complicated now but essentially it's now these four main points:
- the Evil Queen evoked a curse that took Fairy Tale characters to our world
- for 28 years, they had forgotten who they are until Emma arrived (this kind of skips over all of S1 but that's the gist)
- now, they remember but they're stuck in this world
- Magic has now entered our world

Depending on how important it is to next year's narrative, they could even add that Rumplestiltskin created the curse and the Evil Queen enacted it.

Unfortunately, with sci-fi or fantasy shows, the "confusion" factor can really drive people away. I think with this show, it's easy enough to tell apart the fairy tale world from the Storybrooke world. And since a lot of the fairy tale stories are stand-alone "adventures" of some good guy battling some evil villain, it's easier to understand and less work than say, "Awake".

Edited by Camera One, May 20, 2012 @ 3:25 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

I think very few dislike the curse being broken/finale as a whole enough to purposefully quit watching.

The comment I've seen/heard more is "They don't have anywhere to go from here! They essentially just ended the story! How are they going to keep the show going?????" I don't think people dislike the curse being broken per se--a lot just seem confused because they think that it means there's no story left to tell. (Which boggles my mind, because, hello! Magic in our world! That's a lot of story left! Lots of possibilities!) But my sense is that those people would at least watch the premiere of S2, just to at least see where the show is headed. And hopefully, once they see there IS more story to tell, they'd keep watching.

I think they could use the intro to once again set up the season, for viewers who either have never watched the show before, or watched part of S1 and are returning for S2.
It is slightly more complicated now but essentially it's now these four main points:
- the Evil Queen evoked a curse that took Fairy Tale characters to our world
- for 28 years, they had forgotten who they are until Emma arrived (this kind of skips over all of S1 but that's the gist)
- now, they remember but they're stuck in this world
- Magic has now entered our world

For better or worse, I think that Keep It Simple, Stupid is going to have to be the mantra for the S2 premiere. I have a few friends who tried to watch standalone episodes and they apparently found them very confusing (I don't understand why...it's really a simple premise when you get down to it, and the opening voiceover tells you everything you need to know to watch an individual episode), so for the show to attract any new viewers, it's going to HAVE to be very accessible. Establishing those four basic points again is key. However, I totally also agree with Aliasscape--it would be in ABC's best interests to do anything outside of the show they can to help ease new viewers in. Something like the New Year's Day marathon would probably be really helpful here--do like a mini-marathon of all the important S1 episodes the day before the S2 premiere or whatever.

imo, however, the show's success next season is going to rest on the writing improving. S1 at its best showed that this show is capable of being so, so good--episodes like the pilot, Snow Falls, Skin Deep, Red-Handed, Heart of Darkness, the finale, etc., were fantastic, and can really go toe-to-toe with episodes of just about any other show. But there were way too many subpar or just weak episodes that seemed like filler and did nothing to advance the season-long arc--Cinderella, Jiminy Cricket, the genie, Dreamy (and I think it's not a coincidence that these episodes tend to be "backstory of minor player" episodes)--and the show just has to cut down on those next season. Snow/Charming trying to be together, and the novelty of the show's premise, allowed it to skate this year, but those safety nets will be gone next year. I do, however, have hope--a number of the episodes this season had problems with the Storybrooke side of things in particular being stuck in wash-rinse-repeat, but given that the curse is broken, I'm thinking that might not be a problem anymore. And now that we've established the backstories of most of the major players, I'm hopeful that the Enchanted Forest side of things will be less scattershot and more focused on the core cast.

Edited by stealinghome, May 20, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

But there were way too many subpar or just weak episodes that seemed like filler and did nothing to advance the season-long arc--Cinderella, Jiminy Cricket, the genie, Dreamy (and I think it's not a coincidence that these episodes tend to be "backstory of minor player" episodes)--and the show just has to cut down on those next season

I for one disagree. I enjoyed many of these stories (the only one I didn't love was genie and I really loved Jiminy's episode) and I have no problems with having sort of "filler" (though I don't like that word). I love the show and I am just enjoying the heck out of it, so I don't need answers every week, I don't need advancement every week, I don't need anything necessarily. The show is just so much fun for me and so I relish watching it every week.

I don't get why so many are so confused either, but fortunately the people I know who watch the show really love it. It's not that difficult a premise, but for those who are confused, I guess the show just isn't for them. As to the notion that the curse is broken and "they don't have anywhere to go from here", if they've watched the show consistently, then they know this is just not true. IMO, people who are saying that are probably folks who just sort of watch the show on a very casual basis.

I do not think ONCE needs to keep it simple or dumb it down just to attract new viewers; the loyalty should be to the viewers who have stuck with them. Those that did clearly have no such confusion issues. What ABC could do is air it in repeats or in blocks, with cast members "hosting" the marathon and sort of giving a brief summation of what they will be seeing in this block of 3 or 4 episodes. They could even splice together "new" episodes that are highlight reels of each character. So for instance, one marathon day would focus on Snow/Charming, another on Emma, another on Goldstiltskin.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I too enjoyed a lot of those stand-alone stories with Hansel & Gretel, Dreamy, etc. You'd think those ones would be the easiest to catch on with irregular viewers, but they might conclude that "Nothing ever happens on this show" and not bother to tune in the following week. You really can't win them all.

I've also noticed that even though they used the intro through Season 1 with the basic premise, they didn't bother showing previouslies to explain subplots like Katherine disappearing, or August the mysterious stranger. It's hard to see the show from the perspective of someone who just jumps in, but was it really that easy to understand the whole subplot of Mary Margaret being accused of murder? What if someone missed all the episodes with Katherine in it?

I agree that the "core" viewers of 8 or so million seem to be in it for the long haul and they won't be confused. Clearly, several million did abandon the show throughout the first season, and they will be the casual viewers. It's easy to forget that some people literally would tune in to a show 15 minutes after it starts, if they happen to remember it's that day of the week.

Edited by Camera One, May 20, 2012 @ 5:35 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

The comment I've seen/heard more is "They don't have anywhere to go from here! They essentially just ended the story! How are they going to keep the show going?????" I don't think people dislike the curse being broken per se--a lot just seem confused because they think that it means there's no story left to tell.

As long as people have questions, they have a reason to tune in. Those whines don't bother me. It's more "I hate Emma and Regina and Snowing and they messed up Rumpel's character and if Belle's not a regular next season, I QUIT! " basically. 8mil is the same day loyal viewership, and then weekly viewership is about 11.2 million (those that catch up on the DVR).

I do get why people can be confused. I once heard the average viewer catches 1 out of every 3 episodes (and that may be a high estimate.) Casual viewers even less. By the end of the season yeah they quit with the little opener likely to save time but also because by the season finale and the ep just before, if you didn't know what was going on by now, no short summary was going to help you. And you know how casual viewers are, they can barely remember the character's names. Can't remember how many times I've seen people talking about Emily Swan and Harry Mills. But I get it, I'm a casual viewer of a few shows myself and I'm fuzzy on their details and can't recall most of the characters' names and I don't like the shows well enough to become better acquainted with the characters or the mythology. Usually there isn't much chance I'll ever care more about the show unless it really does something that makes me go "Whoa, that's interesting."

But I really hate when shows are constantly drummed up as complicated. Alias was basically blacklisted that way and couldn't really ever escape the idea that it must be really really hard to follow. So the one time fairy tale episodes are not going anywhere. They just need to try a little harder to be sure the Storybrooke side is still moving. It's seemed like they kept Storybrooke from progressing in a couple episodes just because while focusing on the Enchanted Forest. They need to try and make each half of each episode equally important. And I do want to see new characters, one time, recurring. While I want to see Archie Hopper helping people cope with 2 lives in their head, I don't have any real interest in seeing any more flashbacks about a cricket. And Storybrooke doesn't need to be all action or anything, the emotional development taking place there is key. It's possible the writers felt too locked in having all these people with no memories and that's part of the reason they dumped that part of the story so soon.

The chances of a marathon on network TV are ridiculously low though. They just don't have many programming hours not controlled by a local affiliate the way cable does. We'll hope they rerun maybe the last couple episodes of the season shortly before the premiere. The New Years Day thing shocked me at the time.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 20, 2012 @ 11:08 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I've also noticed that even though they used the intro through Season 1 with the basic premise, they didn't bother showing previouslies to explain subplots like Katherine disappearing, or August the mysterious stranger. It's hard to see the show from the perspective of someone who just jumps in, but was it really that easy to understand the whole subplot of Mary Margaret being accused of murder? What if someone missed all the episodes with Katherine in it?

The people who choose to only be casual viewers will just have to "suffer" - if they really cared about the show, they would watch every week. They don't have to go on the internet and post about it, but they'd watch the show. It's really not up to the show or network to have to explain to casual viewers what's going on; it's up to the viewer. If someone missed all the Katherine episodes, that's really on them. It was clear from the beginning that this was a serialized show, not a comedy where each episode is basically stand alone, so people who decided that they didn't care enough about the show to watch it on a regular basis will have to pay the price. I just don't have any sympathy for them whatsoever.

It's more "I hate Emma and Regina and Snowing and they messed up Rumpel's character and if Belle's not a regular next season, I QUIT! " basically. 8mil is the same day loyal viewership, and then weekly viewership is about 11.2 million (those that catch up on the DVR).

Well I don't have such problems with those because I am just such a person. I used to watch The Office, but they messed up a favorite character of mine and ruined a couple I liked - so I dumped it. I dumped Lost when they started treating Claire (Emilie de Ravin) like yesterday's garbage. If someone is annoyed at the direction a show is going in, then they have the right to decide not to watch anymore. That said, I would have a problem with someone just continuing to complain while still watching; at least have the guts to make a decision and stick with it.

And I do want to see new characters, one time, recurring. While I want to see Archie Hopper helping people cope with 2 lives in their head, I don't have any real interest in seeing any more flashbooks about a cricket. And Storybrooke doesn't need to be all action or anything, the emotional development taking place there is key.

This is just something that the show can't do anything about. There are people like me who love seeing shows centered around Archie or whomever and some who don't. The show will just have to do what they believe is right even if not everyone likes it; they have to stay committed to their vision of the show. I happen to love every character on ONCE, which is odd. Ok, well I love to hate Regina - technically I guess I don't love her - but there isn't one character on ONCE where I'm like "ugh - that person again"?

I'm sure every tv show has growing pains, but overall I think ONCE did a terrific job. As I watched the series progress, I didn't have the same problems you did in terms of pacing in Storybrooke, but I can see your points. This is a tv show that, at it's heart, is about families, friends, relationships and so I would think that emotional development in any land is a priority. It broke my heart seeing Emma flash back to her origins, knowing that she must know her parents adored her and tried to protect her. She missed out on knowing them and they missed out on her childhood. All the other characters had 28 years of precious life ripped away from them and had relationships torn asunder. It's a devastating premise, but one that is ripe for wonderful television.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

My post isn't about what people have a right to do or not do, Betsypaige. It's about what will realistically keep the show on the air and what won't. As a die hard fan, it's easy to go, "Too bad for you if you can't figure out my awesome show." I don't care how much people complain IF they're still watching. (Isn't that what this website basically is about? Watch these shows and then tell us all the ways they drive you up the wall even though you still come back every week.) The Nielsen ratings are basically body in a chair. It doesn't mean you're happy with the show, only that you're watching it and thereby watching the commercials during it. I'd be thrilled if my favorite shows had an extra 10 mil. haters. May not be fun to explore them online in such a case but then at least all my favorite shows might last for eons.

"It's your own fault if you can't follow it or quit watching if you hate it so much" means is bleeding viewership, tanking ratings and cancellation. The creators/writers have to at least try from time to time to help people leap in and understand. Henry may have to take back on some of his exposition fairy duties early in the season. "It's so exciting that my grandparents finally remember they're Snow White and Prince Charming and that my mom, their daughter, broke the curse! But I still don't trust Mr. Gold, I mean Rumpelstiltskin at all. And I have no idea what say to my other mom. After all, she's the Evil Queen who brought all the fairy tale characters here and everyone hates her but she says she loves me." Except slightly less clunky of course.

It sounds like this season, Once was a little show that could, surprise success in the sweet spot demos out of nowhere really, and they were mostly not bothered by the network. The problem with success is the network is going to care a whole lot more next season. And the risk is that the amount of new people tuning in will not be equal to the amount of people tuning out for whatever reason. It's called sophomore slump and it's a show killer or at least a big reason for network interference where the executives go pressure the writers to change their show. Fairy tale of the week lends itself better to catching the random casual viewer and picking up a rotating bunch of a couple million people who catch an ep here or there is good thing.

I used to be die hard about the writers' visions or whatever, now I'm willing to put up with a bottle episode here or there if it means the show lasts vs. not. I've lost my faith in networks "adoring" shows and amazing fan campaigns basically. Plus sometimes the writers are wrong. That the creators actually wrote "Dreamy" has been the biggest dent in my faith in their vision. And yet they are the same people that ADDED to Jane Espenson's "Skin Deep" script the line about the "empty heart and a chipped cup." Everyone has their on and off days.

I think this season the problem with the momentum was them not truly expecting to get picked up beyond their 13 episodes. It was like they were afraid to hope too much to have it be crushed. All their interviews prior to the premiere were all "We just hope these 13 turn out well." It happened early on, great, but it sounds like they didn't have a good season map to keep moving forward and only knew what their next step would be, though not totally sure how to get there. I even debate if they jettisoned the curse so soon because they realized it was not sustainable to have people running around with no memories, and Emma only inching forward in her progress in breaking it for 5 seasons. (They probably could have made it 2, as long as Emma believed in the 2nd season.) But overall it was too frustrating to the audience so I'm glad they let it go. I just think they realized it was a mistake they better correct before people got too attached to (or worse, too bored with) it. There was more story in curse aftermath than during the curse itself.

It also sounds like they need to tighten up their writing A LOT or at least try harder to spread their visions over more than one episode from time to time. I'm pretty sure the majority of confusion and inconsistencies would be resolved by items on the cutting room floor. I have never before seen so many promo pics and write ups on scenes that never made it on the air as I have with this show. I think "Apple Red as Blood" and "Land Without Magic" are the closest things we've gotten to a 2-parter? They're the only two episodes that took us through flashbacks of the same story chronologically continued in back-to-back episodes. (Even though the first 3 episodes actually were all Snow White and Evil Queen storyline eps, they weren't in order. Events of ep 2 occur during the pilot, and then ep 3 "Snow Falls" is actually like a year or two before the pilot's events.)

On a side note, apparently Once cast members went to International Disney upfronts today. I hope this means Once is continuing to sell well overseas. And so nice that Jared finally got to go to an event again. I bet Lana and Raphael especially have been missing him since they wrapped.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 21, 2012 @ 12:10 AM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Aliasscape, I tend to worry about a lot of things, but network interference is not something that will eat at me unless I see proof that ABC is being a giant pain.

ONCE just has to maintain its viewership. Sure it would be nice to see a ratings boost, but it's not necessary. Hopefully ABC will promote the heck out of the DVD release and, since the finale got major buzz, perhaps fans who didn't tune it initially will be interested and decide to check it out.

I adored the show from the very beginning and I honestly trust their vision. LOL I liked Dreamy, so what can I say? Thus far, they have not disappointed me so until they show that faith isn't warranted, faith I shall have. I'm sure the show isn't perfect, but what show is? I don't tend to watch with a microscope, any show, not just this one. I watch as one would look at a painting in a museum - I don't get TOO close, though obviously closer than a lot of people since I post on a message board about it. I did't notice a lot of inconsistencies because of this - I just enjoyed watching it. That's just me, though - as I said, I'm easy to please (but when something ticks me off, then it really does, lol).

I don't even know what upfronts are; I guess it's a sort of promotioal thing? I suppose Jared couldn't go because the fate of Henry was up in the air? Are Lana and Raphael close to him? If so, that's sweet.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

ONCE just has to maintain its viewership.

No--it always has to attract new viewers. You always have to figure that for whatever reason, people who have been watching might stop (fed up with storylines, get a new Sunday night hobby, etc). At minimum, for ratings to maintain, you have to attract the same amount of new viewers that you're bleeding.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

But there were way too many subpar or just weak episodes that seemed like filler and did nothing to advance the season-long arc--Cinderella, Jiminy Cricket, the genie, Dreamy (and I think it's not a coincidence that these episodes tend to be "backstory of minor player" episodes)--and the show just has to cut down on those next season

The only episode of those mentioned that I agree was a real filler is Dreamy.

The genie episode revealed how Regina killed Snow's father and showed her unhappiness with their marriage.
The Cinderella episode had Emma making a deal with Gold (a deal that I'm sure they'll return to either this season or the next) and showed how they imprisoned Rumple.
The Jiminy Cricket episode showed us why Jiminy felt committed to Geppetto and why he didn't stand in his way but only tried to convince him to not send Pinnoccio with Emma.

All of these episodes feel important to me, especially in retrospect, even if they seemed filler-ish when they were originally aired. Hopefully I could find some meaning in Grumpy too someday..

Also, you can't have a show without some filler episodes, it happens in every show and that's the way it is.

I do think however this show could attract more new viewers for S2 because S1 has been successful. I myself know people that were burnt out by other shows getting cancelled too soon and didn't want to give OUAT a real chance at the beginning, fearing it would get cancelled too, but now plan to catch up during the summer. Hopefully there'll be enough of those viewers and viewers that switched to DVR when DST kicked in to reach at least 3.5 for S2 premiere.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

No--it always has to attract new viewers. You always have to figure that for whatever reason, people who have been watching might stop (fed up with storylines, get a new Sunday night hobby, etc). At minimum, for ratings to maintain, you have to attract the same amount of new viewers that you're bleeding.

That's fine and I see what you're saying, but what it comes down to is that I do not think the show should alter it's format or dumb anything down just to attract those viewers who couldn't be bothered to watch the entire first season. I don't think ONCE is particularly complicated, for one thing, so for those who really have a hard time following it, perhaps it's just not for them. Perhaps it comes down to the promotion department - and if so, let ABC have at it. The finale did generate a great deal of buzz so they should take advantage of it. Let's face it, though, ONCE is (at least how I view it) a cult sort of show that is probably too far "out there" for the mainstream. I don't expect them to do blockbuster numbers no matter what.

I do think however this show could attract more new viewers for S2 because S1 has been successful. I myself know people that were burnt out by other shows getting cancelled too soon and didn't want to give OUAT a real chance at the beginning, fearing it would get cancelled too, but now plan to catch up during the summer. Hopefully there'll be enough of those viewers and viewers that switched to DVR when DST kicked in to reach at least 3.5 for S2 premiere.

This show could really attract viewers when the DVD comes out; it's MADE for DVD and with all the great features it's going to have, I think it will be a superior product.

I can see how people might not want to get attached to a show that they weren't sure would have a long shelf-life, but it will now be one of the hot shows going into the fall, so that could make a huge difference.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Aliasscape, I tend to worry about a lot of things, but network interference is not something that will eat at me unless I see proof that ABC is being a giant pain. ONCE just has to maintain its viewership. Sure it would be nice to see a ratings boost, but it's not necessary. Hopefully ABC will promote the heck out of the DVD release and, since the finale got major buzz, perhaps fans who didn't tune it initially will be interested and decide to check it out.

It may be my own personal issues to worry about network interference since I've enjoyed several shows networks have wrecked in the pursuit of higher ratings and ABC was one of those networks. In the first season you just have this open playing field of people, no one's seen it, they're curious, more people can tune in and check it out (while people who decide it's not their cup of tea tune out.) In the second season, there's a good chance a lot of people not watching HAVE checked it out, they just don't like it well enough so there's already fewer people from which to glean new viewers. I don't want the show to dumb down, but I also don't want it to basically freeze out new viewers either. It's delicate balance. Of course it's never going to be NCIS, however the problem with not having a wide enough appeal to attract a lot new viewers is you are going to lose some people every season, that's a fact, so you'd simply be looking at falling ratings every season. Second seasons are a danger zone, not close enough to to syndication to be worth it to lose money on more seasons (normally.) Plus I'm also not sure 'Once' will syndicate well anyway. I agree it should be great on DVD/Blu-ray and streaming services.

I loved the show from the beginning too. It's why I care. It hit that spot with me where I become a die-hard. I'll notice inconsistencies because I rewatch all the episodes all the time But I'm kinda done with the days where I watch a show as long as it lasts then am shocked when it goes off the air. Once has been perhaps one of the first shows I've ever loved that wasn't in danger of cancellation in its first season. (Most of my favorites lasted about 4 seasons but were on the verge of being cancelled EVERY SINGLE SEASON. I'm a fan of Fringe, I am not a fan of the emotional roller-coaster of coming down to the wire every season.)

Upfronts are when the networks go and present their future plans to advertisers. The people who buy the ad time during the shows based on the ratings (higher ratings in the proper demos, more advertisers pay basically.) Thus why low ratings, equals losing money, equals cancellation. I think I posted a video over in Media and Online that's been going around, snippet of the cast and the cast of revenge at Upfronts. Not every cast member has gone to upfronts, regular upfronts were in NYC, only Josh, Ginny, Jennifer and Lana went. International upfronts were in LA (Where Jared's family actually lives so more convenient for him to go) and Lana, Raphael, and Ginny also attended. I think with school and just being a kid in general it's just not expected of him to fly "wherever, whenever" to stuff like Paleyfest or Comic Con. Last panel I'm aware of him going to is the TCA press tour back in August before the show premiered. (Funny thing, I found an article on him from the TCAs where he discussed his time on Mad Men and about which members of that cast were great and which weren't. Oh honesty of kids.)

Lana and Jared apparently got pretty close. It sounded like he bonded with her really the most in the cast. Note his latest tweets about how Henry behaves towards her and how it's hard because he likes Lana so much. In earlier interviews Lana basically said they call cut and she just grabs him and hugs him since she also feels bad when they have an unhappy scene together. And Raphael has kids Jared's age and they would all hang out together. I think Jared and his mom also help dog sit for one of them, I forget which.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Aliasscape, perhaps I don't worry about network interference because I rarely watch network tv. Mostly I watch cable programs relating to history, travel, food, etc....

Thanks for the info on the upfronts! I wouldn't expect Jared to be flying all over the place; when he's not shooting, I imagine he's in school.

Aww, that's very sweet about Jared and Lana. I love reading stories like that, where the adults really take care of the kids on the set.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I myself know people that were burnt out by other shows getting cancelled too soon and didn't want to give OUAT a real chance at the beginning, fearing it would get cancelled too, but now plan to catch up during the summer.

I admit, that was a real fear of mine going into this show. I can count on one hand the number of scripted endings I've gotten from TV shows I've enjoyed. Since I prefer serialized shows, I've seen countless beginnings and middles of stories but very few ends. It's insanely frustrating.

I knew from the upfront trailer that I was going to love Once, but my reaction was literally, "Ooh! Please don't get canceled after three episodes!" That's why I started watching its ratings in the first place, so I'd know how hard I could let myself fall for it.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I also prefer serialized shows, and just this season alone, shows which I watched and were subsequently cancelled include "Awake", "Terra Nova", "Alcatraz" and "Ringer". I'm so glad "Once Upon a Time" did well since it is probably my favorite out of all of them, though I also really liked "Awake" and "Ringer".

I was worried about "Once" when the total numbers went down, but thank goodness networks put more weight on the 18-49 demos. I have no idea why this show is so strong in the demos.

Edited by Camera One, May 21, 2012 @ 10:05 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I hated those breaks of 2 or 3 weeks at a time, but I loved how the show tended to do well on it's return. I'm absolutely psyched for the fall and don't see how I'm going to make it through the next few months, lol

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I hated those breaks of 2 or 3 weeks at a time, but I loved how the show tended to do well on it's return.

I was also worried that the audience would return after those breaks. This year, "Once Upon a Time" debuted after all the other shows, so if they start the new season in September, there would be even more breaks.

I was also afraid they would take the "Lost" and "24" route and debut the show in January so they would have an uninterrupted run until May. That was too long a wait and was quite torturous. Maybe with this show, it is less crucial to have it run every week in a row.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

I was also worried that the audience would return after those breaks. This year, "Once Upon a Time" debuted after all the other shows, so if they start the new season in September, there would be even more breaks.

I don't think there will be those problems now that they have a full order. They probably had to schedule those breaks in in order to have the finale set for sometime in May. I don't think it's a good idea for any show to be taking such constant breaks. I don't remember why Lost started in January at some point, but I agree it was torturous. There's no reason for ONCE not to be like any other show on air.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

I also prefer serialized shows, and just this season alone, shows which I watched and were subsequently cancelled include "Awake", "Terra Nova", "Alcatraz" and "Ringer".

I also liked Awake and Alcatraz, though of the two I was more invested in Alcatraz. I'm kind of bitter that not only did we not get any kind of answers, it ended on a freakin' cliffhanger! It's like constantly reading books that have had the final few chapters taken out.

I have no idea why this show is so strong in the demos.

It's pretty big with families and I heard somewhere that it's the number one show (or number one new show, I can't remember which) for family co-viewing. If you've got a lot of parents watching with their school-aged kids, those parents are smack in the 18-49. Which, y'know, is perfectly fine with me, haha.

I was also worried that the audience would return after those breaks.

Me too. When we went into the five-week break at Christmas on a series low, I was petrified. To see it shoot back up again upon its return in January was a ginormous relief.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Lost started in January because it was a heavy serialized show. Like 24. And one season of Alias. The networks seemed to believe that 2-3 week breaks in those type of shows made people forget what was going on, say forget it and not tune in. The ratings were better when they ran 16-24 episodes pretty much straight through from January to May. It's interesting to realize that you can air 24 episodes from January - May, and yet the norm is to spread 22 episodes from last week of Sept/Oct to May. Let's say the normal broadcast season starts this fall on September 24th. September 24- to May 20 is roughly 31 or 32 weeks? 22 episodes, 32 weeks, there's just no way not to have a bunch of breaks. Both 24 and Lost did not start the January starts until several seasons in when it started to seem like the safer bet. Which hey, they lasted 6 and 8 seasons respectively so worked out well for them.

I posted this elsewhere I think but it's a write-up by someone who lives in Vancouver that helps you see the pace of production. They tend to have around 13 eps done filming by mid-December. If they don't air them until January, just means they have 13 in the can when they start airing. But either way they're basically back to writing in June, filming from July -April

Edited by Aliasscape, May 22, 2012 @ 4:03 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Ratings Numbers for the 2011-2012 Broadcast season.

Out of 195 shows airing on the broadcast networks, in total viewership "Once" ranked 28th. It was the 5th most watched show on ABC with an average 11.7 million viewers . It was ABC's third highest scripted show for total viewership.

Out of 195 shows airing on the broadcast networks, in viewership in adults 18-48 (the more important numbers), Once ranked 18th with 5.2 million viewers. It's the 3rd most watched show on ABC in this demographic. (Beaten by Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy, followed by the now ended Desperate Housewives and Dancing with the Stars). It completed the season retaining its crown of number 1 of new drama in this demographic.

ABC's happy press release: a few Once related highlights, bold mine

Led by "Once Upon A Time," the Net claimed 10 of the Top 20 new series this season in Adults 18-49, the most for any network.
__

ABC is Home to the Top Broadcast Series for "Family Coviewing": ABC was home to 6 of the Top 10 programs on the major networks this season in "Family Coviewing." "Wipeout" and "America's Funniest Home Videos" are the Top 2 shows overall, "Once Upon A Time" (the most coviewed drama in the last decade) was the No. 1 drama and "The Middle" was the No. 1 comedy.

Yeah, I pretty much can't remember the last time a show I adored did this well. Top 20? Top 30 overall? Somebody pinch me.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 25, 2012 @ 1:21 AM.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

Wow. I usually feel cursed when watching TV shows during it's first run because they normally fail within a season (sometimes two but they struggled to get there).

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Wow. I usually feel cursed when watching TV shows during it's first run because they normally fail within a season (sometimes two but they struggled to get there).

Haha, funny how a show with a curse is one that doesn't make you feel cursed.

So we were discussing new viewers and gotta say it warms my heart to go through the Once tags on tumblr. Every day there are multiple people saying they just found Once, got Once recommended to them, always intended to watch Once, are finally catching up on Once and are loving it, becoming obsessed with it, are wondering how they ever lived without it. Many describe being hooked early, quickly, and watching multiple episodes a day (sometimes marathon so they're done with it in 2 days and then go straight to work getting involved in the fandom.)

This gives me a lot of hope for good fall premiere numbers.