Owen Sleater: BE's Dimpled, Smiling IRA Enforcer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Owen Sleater, knight errant, and gallant to the last. He died leaving both his women certain he was hers.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Fuck Owen. I never liked him, and watching him lie to two women's faces made me want to cheer when I saw his slimy, sweet-talking ass shoved in that crate. Good riddance.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I knew he was going to die and was dreading it to because the guy has so much charm (and sexiness) that he makes this show much better for me. Ah well, RIP Owen and your lovely old country ways.

ColoredFrancie

ColoredFrancie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Some last thoughts on Owen Sleater, before he fades off into BE obscurity (unless his baby survives).

He was one of my favorites, even if he wasn't that great of a character. I thought he was underdeveloped, underwritten, and underutilized, but he had so much potential. I thought he started to realize it with the affair with Margaret, and then poof - he's gone. Their romance was the most well-developed aspect of his character, and it had a natural evolution over several episodes (and years, in the show's universe). If only they'd allowed his character to cook that way as well.

He started out as a cheeky, rakish enforcer with badass skills and a heart, and I'll never forget the palpable sense of homesickness in the S2 speech he gave to Margaret about feeling "off" in the states, like he could vanish and no one would know or care. But this season the writers seem to have given him a backseat to Eli, and in a certain way, Gyp (Gyp got the better of Owen in some of their interactions). He seemed like more of an administrative assistant, scheduling time for Nucky to see Billie Kent. Even the episode where he hid out with Nucky and Rowland Smith didn't reveal too much more of him. What did he want to do with the money he saved? When he walked away from it all, where would he go? What would he do? Why was he content to just stay a right hand man? Was he really so loyal to Nucky just because he pays him? When he finally had a clear desire - being with Margaret - I thought the character really flourished. He was decisive and focused, as well as poetic, sexy and tender.

Observing folks on multiple message boards stewing over whether he was lying to Margaret in the last episode is such irony to me. If only the writers had given the Owen Sleater character this much ambiguity and complexity for his previous 19 episodes!

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

• Interests:Movies, fiber arts, justice

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I was rewatching some season 2 eps earlier in the week and the one where we first meet Owen-he is so amused by Margaret's cheek in her replies to McGarragle.