Owen Sleater: BE's Dimpled, Smiling IRA Enforcer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

Because the charming, witty, deadly Mr. Sleater needs his very own thread...

Margaret intensely dislikes him, Katie's completely smitten, Harrow's intrigued, & Nucky knows the value of an uber-competent enforcer/bomber when he's lucky enough to have one land on his doorstep.

Scary Spice

Scary Spice

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

And he knows how to make a woman ear-piercingly scream!

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

Oh Katie, such a huge mistake you are making taking Owen into both your bed & your confidence. A handsome man, there's no doubt, filled with charm & snappy patter, filled with many secrets as well. Why is Owen Sleater here in the States? After "Gimcrack" I want to know the answer to that in the worst way.

DrunkByJersey

DrunkByJersey

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

Am I the only one thinking of this guy as "Irish Furio"?

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 10:27 AM

Sleater resembles Furio in more ways than one, DrunkByJersey. I'd hazard a guess that as we find out more about him, we'll be drawing parallels.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 8:38 AM

Sleater's starting to reveal his very dark underside much more in "Age of Reason." When he put his hands over Margaret's on the broom & the way he touched her shoulders as he walked away to follow Nucky made my skin crawl. Other sites have actually labeled him a possible psychopath after his conversation with Margaret in this ep. Not willing to go that far myself. Yet.

His behavior pretending to throw the bomb at Fleming was telling, though.

Edited by Boisvert 8, Oct 31, 2011 @ 9:05 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 8:53 AM

I could believe that he's a sociopath. He was equally convincing to either women whether he was mocking Margaret to Katie behind Margaret's back, and calling her Mrs., and Ma'am as if she was a matron; or slithering all over Margaret in order to smooth her anger over. I think he'd go so far as to carry on with both women, while the other knew nothing about it. And if anyone found out? Just slither off into the night.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 8:53 AM

Owen is unbridled Id. It's not that he "lacked the stomach" for more bloodshed in Ireland, as much as he sought a greater, far richer territory for his mischief. One where the Irish are on top, at least in certain realms. When Margaret roundly told off the DeValera figure, "I have not forgotten where I came from. Nor where I am now," Owen's smile may have expressed his delight at hearing his own "situation" put so neatly, rather than his being charmed by her forthrightness. And the DeValera seemed more than a little obliging about Owen's departure, as if unburdening himself of an always volatile asset who had become, on balance, a liability.

For Owen, Katy is just the low-hanging fruit he is reflexively clearing out of his sightlines, to the top. Margaret, too: the next branch up. Above her is Nucky, and after Nucky...?

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

Watched Sleater garotting/aftermath scenes again just now- he does the deed, goes back to Nucky's house, washes up, tends to his hands (no doubt somewhat injured from applying the garotte), then calmly chats up & beds Margaret. Mind you, despite the wash up, he's most probably still wearing the clothes he committed the murder in...

Whoooo, boy. Peg, if you go for the bad boys, I'd say Owen should be at the top of your hit parade.

Edited by Boisvert 8, Nov 8, 2011 @ 11:16 AM.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

I thought he still seemed fairly agitated when he was talking to Margaret. Especially when he was asking her if she felt the same way about everything being a little off in America. Certainly not as agitated as I'd be in his place, but he's seen a lot more blood and guts in his day than I have..

For Owen, Katy is just the low-hanging fruit he is reflexively clearing out of his sightlines, to the top.

Yeah, I get the impression he's sleeping with Katy because she's there and willing.

Edited by Scaramanga, Nov 8, 2011 @ 9:22 PM.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 8:31 PM

I can't say I blame Margaret. The man is pure sin.

TeamSpungo

TeamSpungo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 2:58 AM

I thought he still seemed fairly agitated when he was talking to Margaret. Especially when he was asking her if she felt the same way about everything being a little off in America. Certainly not as agitated as I'd be in his place, but he's seen a lot more blood and guts in his day than I have..

He's incredibly charming and handsome. But -- who thinks his discussion about feeling out of place was a shrewd piece of manipulation?

Katy told him Margaret's "own family in New York" wanted nothing to do with her. She had just come from New York. The words he said touched upon the loneliness he could have intuited she must be feeling after (possibly) seeing her family.

Not that I would know, but it also doesn't seem like the feelings he was expressing -- about everything being "off" away from home -- are what one feels after killing someone. He'd just garroted a man to death after a prolonged struggle and apparently after a protracted stalking period. What about that would have touched on the sense of missing home/feeling out of joint? It doesn't fit.

He truly did seem agitated when he initiated that conversation with Margaret, but he's also proven to be a good actor. At the bar, he spoke haltingly and convincingly of his homesickness to the man he intended to kill moments later.

I find Margaret fascinating and welcome any more screen time/development for her, but I have fear for her.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 3:24 AM

I see your point, TeamSpungo, but I hope you're wrong. I could handle the guy being disingenuous 90 percent of the time; but it would be no end of frustrating to watch a character who NEVER reveals his true feelings. As Nucky said, right now he appears to be still all about The Cause. What would be the long con in sleeping with the boss's woman? She has already shown herself to be indifferent to the conflict she left behind. He has exploited her own internal conflict, but to what end? I guess I can't wait to find out.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

I can't say I blame Margaret. The man is pure sin.

True that. I am the dykiest dyke from Dykeville, yet I find Owen to be very attractive. Not that I would want him or anything because men are not my bag, but I wouldn't mind watch him mow the lawn with his shirt off.

TeamSpungo

TeamSpungo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 3:30 PM

I see your point, TeamSpungo, but I hope you're wrong. I could handle the guy being disingenuous 90 percent of the time; but it would be no end of frustrating to watch a character who NEVER reveals his true feelings. As Nucky said, right now he appears to be still all about The Cause. What would be the long con in sleeping with the boss's woman? She has already shown herself to be indifferent to the conflict she left behind. He has exploited her own internal conflict, but to what end? I guess I can't wait to find out.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of the long con in terms of The Cause or anything like that, but of the short con of seducing an aloof woman. Like you, I also hope that it wasn't all just a mindfuck.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 14, 2011 @ 9:56 PM.
Please don’t hide words behind asterisks

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

Like the best con men, Owen was being truthful. That's how a con works-- reveal enough of the truth to be totally convincing, but hide the long game to yourself. I do think he's not just a sociopath and he meant what he said to Margaret. He had an ulterior motive for saying it but I'm not sure even he was totally aware of it consciously.

babyfoot

babyfoot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

I don't see Owen as sociopath, either. He's definitely conniving and crafty, but gosh, he's cute. I do realize, of course, that attractiveness has little to do with whether or not someone is a sociopath. He appeared to be gobsmacked and moved when he read the telegram from Margaret to Nucky informing him that Emily had polio.

TeamSpungo

TeamSpungo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

I don't see Owen as sociopath, either. He's definitely conniving and crafty, but gosh, he's cute. I do realize, of course, that attractiveness has little to do with whether or not someone is a sociopath. He appeared to be gobsmacked and moved when he read the telegram from Margaret to Nucky informing him that Emily had polio.

I agree. There have been other scenes that indicated to me that he wasn't a sociopath. For example, when Nucky put him on the spot about killing the traitor in the bar but Owen thought Nucky was talking about Owen's dalliance with Margaret, Owen looked profoundly uncomfortable and squirmy, even afraid. Not so slick now, are ya Owen? I, too, though he looked gut-punched when he read the telegraph about Emily's polio.

Before, I was more open to the possibility that he was an unfeeling con artist because the show had specifically shown us, through Katie's exposition, that Owen knew about Margaret's rift with her family and that they lived in NY such that he could very easily put together her state of mind and vulnerability when she returned from Brooklyn. Watching the sex scene again, it occurs to me that despite all the talk of it being "only among strangers" and Margaret's matter-of-factness about the whole thing, when you get right down to it, it's actually relatively romantic and intimate compared to the other couplings we see. All these things combined make me think that Owen, while dangerous, is not simply a manipulative foil for Margaret, but someone may even have a connection with, albeit an ill-fated one.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

but Owen thought Nucky was talking about Owen's dalliance with Margaret, Owen looked profoundly uncomfortable and squirmy, even afraid. Not so slick now, are ya Owen?

I don't think Owen is as tough as he thinks he is and probably realized that at that moment.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

S2:
Owen Sleater (earlier seen by AC hierarchy to be merely a useful knight, in more ways than one) helps remove from the board now very-much-defunct oppo knight James Darmody. Owen also key to aiding with "permanent" installation of king Nucky Thompson. No pieces can be considered black or white in the BE game now, only shades of dark grey.

S3:
Sleater takes Queen, possibly upending board in the process ;->

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

So Charlie Cox played the slimy Duke in S1 of Downton Abbey! I prefer him Irish.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Owen Sleater (earlier seen by AC hierarchy to be merely a useful knight, in more ways than one) helps remove from the board now very-much-defunct oppo knight James Darmody

I think that's giving him far too much credit. Nucky's reasons for wanting Jimmy dead had nothing to do with Owen. Nor did Owen have anything to do with when or how Jimmy was ultimately killed.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Maybe not, but having Owen around made it easier for Nucky to dispense with Jimmy. I loved Jimmy but Owen (despite his seduction of Margaret) has proved a lot more reliable.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I loved Jimmy but Owen (despite his seduction of Margaret) has proved a lot more reliable.

I agree, and it seems Owen is loyal to a point. I don't know what his end game is yet other than to be a mischief maker... and sleep with Margaret. When he came on in S2, I knew he and Margaret were going to have a thing and I didn't want it because I really do like Nucky/Margaret. I still do, but Owen is great to watch and I find it believable he would attach onto Margaret. She is a hella of a woman, and the fact he links her to his own past reinforces his attraction to her.

I also adore Richard so anyone Richard likes, I tend to like. Richard says Jimmy was a soldier and I think he sees that Owen is one as well. That goes far with Richard and I find their brief exchange last season interesting. Owen may not be as interesting as Richard, Rothstein or some of the other characters yet, but he is entertaining to watch especially in his Margaret scenes.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

I have more respect for Owen this series. It seems that the bathroom murder really was a personal matter, and that he only kills when necessary and doesn't relish it. Once he got that out of his system, he could settle in and just do his job and sleep with his girlfriend. Although when he repeated Katie's "Mr. Pouffle" line I got the sense he thinks she's a bit of ditz. It's a bit like Nucky with Lucy.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

having Owen around made it easier for Nucky to dispense with Jimmy.

And easier for Terence Winter, too.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Although when he repeated Katie's "Mr. Pouffle" line I got the sense he thinks she's a bit of ditz. It's a bit like Nucky with Lucy.

I got the same vibe from their scene. He likes her and finds her amusing, but he doesn't seem completely in love with her or anything.

I'm finding more and more that I wish there was more Owen in the episodes.

Saraqael

Saraqael

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I also adore Richard so anyone Richard likes, I tend to like. Richard says Jimmy was a soldier and I think he sees that Owen is one as well. That goes far with Richard and I find their brief exchange last season interesting. Owen may not be as interesting as Richard, Rothstein or some of the other characters yet, but he is entertaining to watch especially in his Margaret scenes.

Richard may respect Owen, but I don't know if he likes him. I keep thinking back to the fact that Richard said he 'may yet' kill Owen. I cold easily see Nucky putting a hit out on Owen if he ever found out that Owen was sleeping with Margaret. Hope not. I like Owen.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

You're right, respect is the word I should have used.

I think Richard is going to work for Nucky, but I am not completely sold on him being Nucky's enforcer because Richard seems to want to have a normal life more than anything else. Of course, he will join forces to get back at Gillian and rescue Tommy, and yeah, he probably would kill Owen if Nucky asked if they agreed.

As for Owen, he looks hella good all the time, but the more he makes those eyes at Margaret, the sooner he'll be dead either by Nucky finding out or as a casualty of the imminent gangster war.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I'll miss his sly smile.

And Thena, you called it.