7-5: "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" 2011.10.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

Sam and Dean meet a witch whose anger over her husband's philandering has proved fatal for the townspeople.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

I was really pissed that the witches lived until James Marsters actually proved himself useful and saved the boys' lives. So the manwitch and his witchywife can live. It's not like Dean and Sam could do much against them anyway.

Note to self: Never go under a beauty salon hair dryer, use a hot tub, use a port-a-potty, or ever buy a nail gun, like ever.

Also, chicken feet are useless against evil.

There were gruesome, creative deaths, a nice amount of gore, and Dean mocked the whole feelings conversation at the end of the episode.

Good times. I liked this episode.

Gwonk

Gwonk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Best. Episode. Ever.

Aside from the "We should talk" "NO! My pain is too great I don't want to!" "k we'll go now.'

I will be making those cupcakes for Halloween.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I will be making those cupcakes for Halloween.

Hearts and all? Ew.

calamitysxchild

calamitysxchild

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I call bullshit on Dean killing Amy but letting the Starks live.

What was that?

I love Spike and Cordelia but...I was not impressed with the guest actors tonight. Some of the line deliveries were painful.

I wish I liked this more.

Edited by calamitysxchild, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:04 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

They had no way to kill the witches. Amy was easy to kill.

That's why Sam went with Plan B, marriage counseling. Obviously, the when the witches were getting along, they were actually good for their community.

sallysweeet

sallysweeet

Couch Potato

I think this was one of the best Supernatural episodes since before the middle of Season 5. It was old school Supernatural and it was nice to see a balanced episode for the Winchesters in that Sam wasn't the exposition fairy and both Dean and Sam were good on the job.

Lovely, gruesome deaths galore!

Of course, we also got bad CGI with the bees, but I'm going to go with that being done on purpose as an homage to the episode Bugs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL Also, I can live with the bad CGI because I loved Jensen/Dean's reaction to the bees.

Damn, Jensen, you look gorgeous. /shallow

Gwonk

Gwonk

Fanatic

Hearts and all? Ew.

I think jello would work! All nice and melty and bleedy, maybe a really gooey strawberry.

Dean was having a bad day during Amy's episode and was, you know, not being assaulted by bees or magic or anything that could actually threaten him.

WhyLeon

WhyLeon

Just Tuned In

Has James Marsters' chin always looked like that?

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

My God that was so awful. And so badly acted. Jesus, even Ackles couldn't save it for me.

No, Gamble and your highly-trained (and I use the term loosely) team, that wasn't the first time Dean has ever seen a significant cluster of dead flowers. He saw it in Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, a fairly important episode for him.

Bobby the deus ex machina? Check.

I'm about done with this redundant, badly written bullshit. Someone please put this show out of our misery.

Who wrote this, I'm wondering? Was it the dynamic duo of Blacker and Acker, who've been doing such a sterling PR job by insulting the show's fans on Twitter?

Edited by Observe, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:09 PM.

Ghostyouknow

Ghostyouknow

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

This episode had me at the nail gun, but I didn't know true love until I saw those pink cupcakes and knew they were there to hurt someone. The blood on her mouth! And then the beating organ in her hand! And the blood vomit!

<3

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

Hearts and all? Ew.

I think jello would work! All nice and melty and bleedy, maybe a really gooey strawberry.

You could always use a nice jam or jelly for the filling. Or pie filling.

Of course, we also got bad CGI with the bees, but I'm going to go with that being done on purpose as an homage to the episode Bugs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL Also, I can live with the bad CGI because I loved Jensen/Dean's reaction to the bees.

I loved it, and I think I'll go with that story, too.

awab

awab

Video Archivist

Why did they even decide to make a boring ep like this?

One thing though. Sam, you d*ck, don't expect a person to open up to you when the last time that person tried to do so you mocked him.

Edited by awab, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:07 PM.

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

So the witches get to live? They killed four people over petty squabbling. More inconsistency over who gets to live and who must die.

I was sure we were going to see some more woodchipper action at the end. What a disappointment.

What would they do without Bobby?

This episode might have been okay in season one, but really very mediocre.

They had no way to kill the witches.

I'm not buying that after all we've seen them defeat over the seasons. If they can't kill a couple of witches, they may as well retire.

Edited by MichaelaBelle, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:08 PM.

calamitysxchild

calamitysxchild

Couch Potato

They had no way to kill the witches. Amy was easy to kill.

So they can kill angels, gods, and oh yea, haven't they gotten rid of witches before? But these ones are special and they wouldn't try to go back and get rid of them later? Ok.

gingerbeard

gingerbeard

Couch Potato

OK, the Starks were fairly enjoyable as the War of the Roses witches, even if the dialogue was mostly atrocious. However the deaths were awesome! I have to give the writers that, really good deaths. The case itself was handled pretty well in terms just the hunting and investigation aspect. So was the saving of the assistant girl after the "tiny beating hearts in [her] cupcakes" incident. :)

Dean and Sam need to find out that spell Don used because even if they can't kill the Leviathans at least they can knock them out long enough to get away. However they don't actually know for sure what's going on with that thing yet so they may not realize they need it yet.

Jensen's been looking fantastic this season, even for him LOL, and Phil Scgriccia, a great director in so many other ways of course but he seems to bring out the best in terms the lighting. As an actor he had some nice subtle moments, too--says so much in his eyes, like at the end. Also the nightmare at the beginning and when he woke up, that was great. He was also particularly funny when he was getting thrown around by the witches. Also liked the way Dean found the case(I guess "freaky accidents" works pretty well as a search term:)) So Dean had a couple of moments of not being totally useless, which was nice.

Other than that, I'd say this episode has little to recommend it. It's very average.

Not to mention Dean has pretty much always been one who notices both problems with plants and also their symbolic significance - let's see Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Crossroad Blues, Malleus Maleficarum(another witch episode), Sex and Violence, etc, etc, etc. Dean can also remember spells he sees happen once, very quickly, in front of him, in other languages(episode 5.01, The French Mistake, etc), yet he needs to write down some fairly simple spell Bobby's giving him? HATE it when they write dumb Dean with things he's normally very good at(if any of them is an "expert" in the area of plants, it's Dean) and act like that's who he is.

If they are going to write this ridiculously bad storyline then they should at least have allowed those things to be noticed as a sign that things are really off with Dean instead of being treated like business as usual(but then again I don't think Sam's ever really noticed the stuff that Dean's really good at anyway, I don't think he thinks he's actually good at anything, just that he usually "means well").

Speaking of Bobby talk about the deus ex machina, come on, they couldn't figure out what type of coins they were on their own? They manage to find everything else on the internet, why not that?

And why do they save those badly written "feelings" chats for the last 3 minutes all the time. I mean it's like the episode can go along fairly innocuously and then suddenly they throw in some scene at the end that's just terrible. They should have just ended after Stark left the motel room.

Sam needs to totally stop being a hypocrite about this "opening up" garbage. I'm glad at least Dean just said "Look it's nothing, it's the same old same old, get off my case" because ever since Season 1 when Dean's asked Sam to how he's doing or if he wants to talk, Sam won't say boo and stakes his claim to his rights to keep his feelings to himself, usually with some added bit about how Dean couldn't possibly understand what he's going through, in one form or another. Even this season, the first thing he started off doing was keeping it to himself with the basic addendum "you couldn't understand"(about Hell no less). At least the one time Dean did that it was when it actually really applied(about Hell)

As for Dean, Dean's opened up before, plenty of times. I wish they'd stop trying to imply he doesn't, because he has. He's revealed his innermost, most sensitive and vulnerable feelings, the things he's most ashamed of and pretty much the only thing he's ever gotten for his trouble is having it used to punish him or ignored or basically told he needs to suck it up and that includes by Sam. I really wish for once they'd let Dean make that argument when Sam brings up his "tell me your feeeeeelings" crap.

It's happened repeatedly, pretty much his whole life, with one person after another, including Sam, there is no reason in the world Dean would or should open up to Sam given Sam both doesn't return the favor when the shoe is on the other foot AND he very often ends up using it punish Dean in some way. I'd like to see that acknowledged very seriously by the show and by Sam before Dean opens up to him again.

Especially when they are making it all about this dumb, IMO, Amy thing, which in the grand scheme of things is not, and should not be, a big deal. She is no different from many monsters they've killed before, the monsters Sam himself has killed before. Amy needed to die. Sure I get Dean feels guilty for lying, he's always felt terrible whenever he's lied to anyone he cares about about things that are important to them, which is why it's so rarely happened(John's deathbed request is pretty much it), but considering the sheer number of things Sam has done behind Dean's back(including taking that Amy case in the first place, never mind all of Season 4) and not shown the slightest bit of guilt about(beyond getting caught or being proved incorrect), it's pretty hard to take the writers using this as some sort of major dramatic storyline for Dean.

(As for why they didn't kill the witches I think it's as simple as the writers didn't want to kill Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters, hey why go for character continuity when you can just make your main characters look stupid--it's not like they couldn't find themselves some way to kill them at a later date, at least have them act like they were thinking about for goodness sake)

And the less said about the anvilicious drinking thing the better, it's being badly handled.

ETA:

EDIT: Yes, they did have a way to win. The wife specifically told them the spell didn't work because they didn't chill the chicken feet (hence the broken fridge at the store Sam bought them at). All they had to do was go find some ice, a minibar, whatever.

I thought she said it didn't work because they did chill the chicken feet, I thought the spell didn't work because they weren't fresh?

And I guess we don't actually know they wouldn't have gone back to get them later, after they got fresh(or chilled whichever it was) chicken feet, but given the guy saved their life AND has that nifty and possibly useful spell they may need at a later day(oh I want to see Dean use it, he's so sexy doing spells:)), I guess they might decide to hold off. Plus they had the stunned Leviathan they had to figure out what to do with fairly quickly.

Edited by gingerbeard, Oct 21, 2011 @ 10:26 PM.

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

So all monsters must die ONLY if Dean has a 100% chance of killing them due to their weakness, inner remorse, etc. Brilliant. Moral of the story: if you're strong you can kill decent people in utterly horrific ways, but if you're weak, efficiently killing criminals to feed your monster baby is Pure Evil.

Seriously, all they had to two was get two bowls of chicken feet and stick them in the fridge, boom victory. Such lazy writing this season.

EDIT: Yes, they did have a way to win. The wife specifically told them the spell didn't work because they didn't chill the chicken feet (hence the broken fridge at the store Sam bought them at). All they had to do was go find some ice, a minibar, whatever.

Edited by Rozen, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:11 PM.

Parcae3

Parcae3

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

Not a bad episode. Much better than I thought it would be!

Jensen/Dean was both adorable, gorgeous, and awesome, as usual! Poor Dean though. If the guy just got his damn pie, maybe he would be in a better mental state! It's the lack of PIE!!!

I liked the powerwalking better in the joke clip that Jared posted.

Charisma and James were good. I don't get the "ha ha" over the deaths, but I did laugh a few times at the end scene, when they were talking over their pasts. Didn't like that Dean was the one who was getting attacked by bees by himself.

Oh, the Leviathan's found them! I wonder if that guy got his intel in before he got zapped? So, maybe the boys should just get Don and Maggie to work their mojo so they can take the Leviathan's down?

I understand them walking away at the end. One, they didn't have the ability to take them down right then. Two, bigger fish to fry with the Leviathan's catching on to them. The bigger of two evils, lesser of two evils and all.

Oh, Sam. Why would Dean want to confide in you, when the last time you used it against him to belittle him and look down on him? He's learned that confiding in you, is a bad road to take.

I LOLed over Dean's whole, "I feel responsible, that's who I am. The Lindburg baby? That's on me." Cause it's both funny, and true. Oh, Dean, never change!

Those cupcakes looked damn good! I'm glad that she turned out to not be a cheater, and was saved.

Why was Bobby such a jerk to Dean on the phone, when he's always nice with Sam? No wonder the boy has issues.

All in all, a much better episode than I expected.

The saddest part was watching Dean have nightmares about his boo. Sigh. Come back, Castiel! Dean needs the support of your "profound bond!"

Edited by Parcae3, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:10 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

Awesome episode, loved it! I only wish there was more to the Dean/Sam/Maggie/Don scene because I was cracking up, that was great. I'm also glad that both Maggie and Don lived and that Don saved the boys. I'd love to see them show up again later in the season but that would end up with Maggie/Don getting killed (most likely) so I'll take the win and move on.

Really enjoyed the assistant's freak out over the tiny beating hearts in her cupcakes. I thought they did a good job on the fake out too (or at least what I thought was a fake out) for some reason I thought Maggie's friend was the really evil witch behind everything and that Maggie didn't have powers.

On a shallow note, did James always have that weird chin? I never noticed it before, not sure if it was b/c he was so under weight on Buffy or just the Spike makeup (pale) that hid it. Maybe it's because I finally have HDTV...lol

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

That was stupid, but there were some moments I like. Mainly Charisma Carpenter. What can I say, she plays bitchy well. Her agitated sigh when her lesbian admirer was decapitated was great. So was her line "He was setting sail in the morning. He could have fallen off the edge of the world. I took pity!"

My God the brothers are tedious. Just, shut up. Shut up! SHUT UP! YOU HAVE TOO MANY FEELINGS! What happened to this season? I had such high hopes (well, I had hope) that episode two was the direction the series was going to go. But no, it's back to the endless talks by the impala. I don't care that Dean feels guilty. Just die. Again.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

"There was a heart in my cupcake! That's never happened!!" That may have been the best thing about this episode.

James Marsters was his usual good self, Charisma was ok. At least the episode had a more old school feeling than most of the recent episodes.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

So they can kill angels, gods, and oh yea, haven't they gotten rid of witches before? But these ones are special and they wouldn't try to go back and get rid of them later? Ok.

They manage to catch them surprise, more than anything else. It's usually the case of the guys getting lucky. In this case, they lost the element of surprise. Besides, did they kill the last manwitch they went up against, or was it the manwitch's girlfriend? I think the guys got saved instead of being the ones to save the day on that one. I'm not sure about that, though. If I'm right, then Dean and Sam not being able to defeat the witches was pretty consistent.

Didn't Ruby actually help save their asses with the other witches, too?

"There was a heart in my cupcake! That's never happened!!" That may have been the best thing about this episode.

I so loved that line, and the actress' delivery was what made that line.

Edited by mustbekarma, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:16 PM.

Shelter

Shelter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

Bobby the deus ex machina? Check.

Actually, this time was Don ex machina. Which was a nice touch. The only surprise in the episode. Otherwise, sorry, Supernatural. As much as I love Spike and I wanted to get into the old school formula, this episode was lackluster. The writing was just off.

(I reserve the right to change my opinion on re-watch with booze, but this is just my initial reaction.)

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

BM Disposal port-a-johns? HEE!
Lot's of bloody gore? Wonderfully classic!

The Starks? Absolutely predictable, and I feel the stunt casting was wasted. Love Marsters in whatever he does, but I have never been a fan of Carpenter.

This was a decent MOTW episode although typically, the last five minutes were the only valuable part of the hour.

Dean.
I love you, but please stow the liquor and keep your mouth shut about your problems unless you want to be called a weak, whiny princess. This has happened to you before and will probably be repeated if you open up.

Sam.
Too bad you don't take your own advice about being honest and open. Even if your brother were to open up to you, I don't feel you'd be sympathetic or willing to offer any help. Your protestations always ring hollow to me.

Bobby.
Even off-screen, or especially off screen you are an un-deniable deus ex machina. Once again. Even moreso. Enough already. I want to see these guys do more of their own research for a change. Did your panic room survive the fire? Is that were you are going to stash that leviathan?

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

They manage to catch them surprise, more than anything else. It's usually the case of the guys getting lucky. In this case, they lost the element of surprise. Besides, did they kill the last manwitch they went up against, or was it the manwitch's girlfriend? I think the guys got saved instead of being the ones to save the day on that one. I'm not sure about that, though. If I'm right, then Dean and Sam not being able to defeat the witches was pretty consistent.

Since it wasn't covered it's all speculation (on my part) but I could see Sam/Dean making another attempt if they had the time. Of course, they'd have to go miles away to get chilled chicken feet and Maggie's little curse would have killed them before they had the chance. I think if Don hadn't saved them Dean would have wanted to go back after them. However, now they actually had more pressing matters by the end of the episode, finding somewhere to dump the Leviathan before he woke up/escaped.

I could also fanwank that letting the Starks live might be because of Dean's obvious guilt over Sam's "girlfriend". Who knows, I'm taking the win b/c characters I liked survived.

That one turned out to be a demon playing up the witches and yes Ruby saved their butts (I'm assuming you're talking about the S3 episode); if not I don't remember :D

Edited by morrigan2575, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:21 PM.

calamitysxchild

calamitysxchild

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

I guess my point is more that it felt like a lazy reason to keep the characters around. All they had to do was have the feet chilled...that's careless and not a step I would hope they'd make after years of hunting and hopefully plenty of research on how to kill these two. And again, I'd argue that they still should've finished the job later after they had their shit figured out, whether or not Mr. Stark saved them, if Dean's reasoning with Amy had been applied in this case.

A lot of the happiness I'm seeing in other parts of the fandom right now about the Starks still being alive is because of the people who played them. I just wonder if they weren't as high profile for many of the fans, if the conclusion would've been the same.

Gwonk

Gwonk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:23 PM

You could always use a nice jam or jelly for the filling. Or pie filling.

Ever since my friend's Jrock days I have had serious issues with strawberry jam.

It will work very nicely.

They manage to catch them surprise, more than anything else. It's usually the case of the guys getting lucky. In this case, they lost the element of surprise.

Exactly. The second the witches paid attention to them the fun was over. Besides, I liked the boys getting thrashed about for a change instead of the super-quick kill and the angsty looks afterwards.
The witches had been alive for six or seven centuries and had clearly met with hunters before.

Oh, Sam. Why would Dean want to confide in you, when the last time you used it against him to belittle him and look down on him? He's learned that confiding in you, is a bad road to take.

That was so three seasons ago.

More importantly - they need to do that whole Talking and Communicating thing to get the angst and painful feelings out of the way so they can do more jobs like this one where they investigate and use their brains and not have Dramatic Carside Conversations. Also so three - or more - seasons ago.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

I guess my point is more that it felt like a lazy reason to keep the characters around. All they had to do was have the feet chilled...that's careless and not a step I would hope they'd make after years of hunting and hopefully plenty of research on how to kill these two

I think that was either Maggie or Don's doing. Sam mentioned in the episode that all the places he went to where having bad luck and freak electrical issues. Given that Maggie knew exactly why the spell didn't work, I figured she was behind it to make sure the hunters didn't have the ability to kill her.

Edited by morrigan2575, Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I was waiting for the Leviathan to walk in and rip off Cordelia and Spike's heads. And then it never happened.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

I just wonder if they weren't as high profile for many of the fans, if the conclusion would've been the same.

Meh. The morality on this show is so spotty that I don't think it really matters. The Starks were somewhat entertaining and they lived. Amy was dull and she died. Seems fine to me.