Kitchen Cousins

• Please log in to reply

161 replies to this topic

Suby

Suby

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Yeah, isn't this show about George Clooney and his cousin? ;)

I caught this show for the first time today. I thought the same thing. Anthony.....*swoon* The homeowner's mother was trying to talk him into visiting her beach house, lol. It was cute (and obvious) that she was smitten with him.

Not diggin' those white Italian cabinets. Now the Italian cousins, that's a different story.

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

I didn't like the layout of the most recent kitchen at all. They were painted into a corner with that one though since she already had all the cabinets ordered. Stupid IMO. I didn't care for the upholstering job on the banquette either, not enough padding for it to be comfy. That breakfast bar made little sense. The red tile didn't bother me that much.

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

Loved last night's episode! Watching them redo Aunt Denise's kitchen was hilarious! That added bit of family stress was fun to watch. Love that they took her to Le Cirque for lunch to try and soften the blow of telling her they might not be able to finish it in time for Thanksgiving.

I thought the kitchen looked great. I love the new layout so much more than the old one. Loved that big island and all that counter space. Not too crazy how hidden the dishwasher was, I'd be likely to open the wrong damned door far too often to try and find it, lol. Really liked how the cabinets looked, they were Italian but they weren't super glossy laminate, which was really nice. The wall graphic was great, so glad they went with that instead of wallpaper.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

The Aunt Denise episode was nice ... I'm a sucker for the family dynamics, and seeing John get all emotional was sweet. What north Jersey suburb were they in?

Having to pick a smaller wall oven since the cabinet was built incorrectly was not cool. Even with double ovens, I'd want a full-size unit if I were an Italian cook.

The kitchen did look great, but do they honestly not need a direct walkway into the dining room? I'd like to see the full floorplan for the main level to see how that will work.

Edited by LurkerNoMore, Dec 9, 2011 @ 11:14 AM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

I liked The Aunt Denise show too. I'm still a little confused how she is related to Anthony. Is it his Mother or Father who is related? Anyway, I liked seeing John's brother the chef. I think they showed a younger brother wearing a Delaware Lacrosse jersey but he didn't talk. I liked the new kitchen layout (not crazy about the baby blue though) and, after 20 plus years of going to the dinning room from the kitchen and now not having it would be really weird. How do you get there now?

jeanine0123

jeanine0123

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

There's an entrance from the entry hallway right around the corner. They said that they pretty much never used the entrance from the kitchen so I don't think it'll be that hard to get used to.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

Lurker, thought they mentioned Wyckoff up in Bergen County, NJ.

Agree, I was very upset with the oven snafu. In addition, I hated the use of another cooktop. Wouldn't she have preferred a major stove with large oven underneath? (I know, a cooktop plus double ovens would be much cheaper.) My biggest complaint, however, was the lack of an explanation of the space planning. Heard they had another dining room entrance but never heard their options WRT creating more of an open concept instead of a giant galley kitchen.

Sorry but couldn't stand the faux drama and bad acting of the Le Cirque scene. Doubt the restaurant needs the promo and Aunt Denise certainly would have given them a break on the scheduling. Who complains about a gift (or reduced price) kitchen? Or getting out of Thanksgiving for one year? (lol) Could have used that scene to review the space planning. BTW, I've never heard which parent's side of the family John belongs to -

Surprised to see the baby blue - they also never mentioned if it was her favorite color or why they used it. Didn't care for the Moroccan tiles. Cheaper than Italian? Wouldn't their family have preferred Italian?? Also hated those barstools - they appeared cheap (more cheap - a theme, perhaps?) and incredibly uncomfortable. Guess that's one way to get rid of guests overstaying their welcome, haha -

Edited by diydude, Dec 11, 2011 @ 8:59 PM.

Squeezel

Squeezel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 8:47 AM

I'm willing to forgive these guys because they are such handsome young men, but I was puzzled by last night's kitchen. Can't for the life of me remember the couples' names. The guy had two kids, the woman had two and they were all moving into his old house. I don't remember what kind of table they had in the kitchen before the reno, but it was replaced with a small table for two. They opened up the wall to the living room and created a breakfast bar (that was in the kitchen looking to the living room). It also seated two. How is a family of 6 supposed to eat together in there? The parents stand up? On even-numbered days the dad's kids sit at the table, the mom's kids sit at the bar; on odd days, it's reversed?

I agree with opening up the wall but couldn't they have put in a row of cabinets with a countertop instead of the breakfast bar? Or at least a floor-to-ceiling cabinet on the full-size part of the wall that they left. The woman wanted more counters and more storage. I know they extended the counter near the oven -- even gaining 3 extra feet of countertop is really helpful -- but they could have added a lot more on the other side. My last concern was with the orange cabinets. I thought it clashed with the reddish backsplash. And that it was an odd choice to have only one section of the upper cabinets be orange. Maybe had orange dishware/serveware used as a decorative splash of color instead of having a fixed element that was orange.

One thing that I've learned from watching HGTV all these years is this: People who are selling homes love, love, love their dark red dining rooms and freak out when a realtor tells them it won't appeal to buyers. Potential buyers all hate colors like that and can't buy that house because they don't understand that they can paint over the objectionable color.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 4:23 PM

WORD to your entire post, Squeezel. The small dining table was ridiculous.

In general I liked the set up of the cabinets and appliances, but the orange accent cabinets didn't do it for me. (I am glad, though, that they didn't go with the super-modern, glossy Italian cabinets.) I was intrigued by the 'penny-round' backsplash though ... it was unique. The same type of tile might be neat with multiple colors.

It is interesting to me how when they have the countertop people come in that they do the templates the old-fashioned way of marking it out with shim-sticks. Some countertop people now do everything with lasers and computers, eliminating the need for the 'physical' template.

When they were doing the 'four-arm forklift' to carry the old hutch out I thought, "Hmmm ... how much better would this be if they were shirtless?"

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 9:19 AM

IIRC, the family's eat-in kitchen table was a 4-top (table for 4) but no matter - it was ridiculously small for a family of 6. That will certainly help when they blend the families, too. Welcome - now sit by yourself - over there. IMHO, the penny tile's a classic backsplash. IIRC, you'll find it in the IKEA kitchens Sarah Richardson installed in the farmhouse and backsplit (Sarah's House).

I was a little confused about the design process - thought John was their designer. Anthony appeared to design the entire kitchen with limited input from Mom, Dad and cousin. Curious if any client ever brings in their own designer or objects to the family method. Perhaps the chef and his wife should have considered this - they'd have their all-white kitchen with classic subway tile. (Or how about putting your foot down as the client?) Might be interesting to check-out U-tube - wonder if they yanked out that horrid backsplash. Well, at least they accomplished their goals - publicity for their U-tube channel and promoting their restaurant.

Had the same thoughts about the countertop v. breakfast bar and the availability of the extra wall (what's that saying - great minds??) for either additional workspace or storage but overall, I suspect the KC's overall theme for this kitchen might be "budget-conscious". Plain and simple, I believe they had no budget. So, they used cheap cabinetry, installed using the old-fashioned method and had their friend stripe one wall. They opened up that breakfast bar b/c they couldn't afford to remove the wall and create a great room/open-concept living-room. (I know some people hate them but many people want them for resale and to update an older home.)

WRT the vivid colors, Squeezel, IMHO, it's not that buyers don't understand they can paint. It's the additional work and extra coats of primer and paint (plus the most important factor - time) needed to cover those colors. (Incidentally, the all-in-one primer + paint doesn't work - it's a joke. Don't bother buying it.)

As always, WRT everything, YMMV.

Edited by diydude, Dec 16, 2011 @ 10:02 AM.

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

I love looking at these guys, but I don't think I'd hire them. Their design is usually OK; that's not what bothers me most. It's that they don't seem all that professional and knowledgeable.

That red "upholstered" backrest that Anthony made a few weeks ago was an abominable craft project. Last week, the measurements were off so they had to shortchange the oven. And last night, the electrical work involved in installing that hanging lamp was less than confidence-inspiring.

I get the impression from their on-screen banter and confusion that, were a camera not in their face, they'd take the easiest shortcut available to them, safety and structural integrity be damned. They already do that on camera, come to think of it.

On another note, Anthony's father looks like an older Woody Harrelson.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

You're correct, Lopethina - I only happened to comment on the design issues b/c to me, that's what s'****s the clients the most IMHO and what I'm interested in. Overall, they're young and they need more experience. Moreover, they're truly dangerous b/c they don't realize how much more seasoning they need. Perhaps the father guides them - don't know his background plus he's not upfront in the program (for obvious reasons) so they haven't demonstrated that to us, the viewers. I assume either he or his son is a general contractor.

I can forgive them WRT the lighting fixture - if you've ever installed one, they're often real pitas. (If anyone ever saw the old Divine Design programs and watched Chico - her lighting guy - fight with instructions and parts - you'd understand.) In addition, they're dealing with older homes and it's not uncommon to find previous workmen shortcuts and things held together with chicken wire and scotch tape. Again, they haven't talked about it on the program but I assume (and hope) they're doing all the work up to code. (Another HGTV example: Scott on IP often uses these issues for the show's drama so IMHO he exudes more confidence than the 2 eye candy boys.) I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see them make a critical error on camera.

IMHO the reason their design's usually o.k. is that they're doing things by rote. As long as their clients accept the kitchens from their repertoire, they can certainly install it. (BTW, the little errors happen - it's how you fix them that's important, IMHO.) Might be fun if they added a hip, young designer (for more drama) to their shop and the show - expand their services. Sorry but Mom as your designer?? Or, Woody Harrelson (their father) seems fun so they could also increase his role on camera.

If they made that change, they might need an hour on the HGTV schedule. At least that way they could cut the home scene - yes, it's nice but we've seen their family eat dinner how many times? (Or, was that one dinner for the season? haha) Plus, more time to present eye candy to the viewers.

Agree, time to lose those diy craft projects. Guess he's attempting to inject something personal into the space. Nice effort but poor execution. Something else a designer could take over for them -

Edited by diydude, Dec 16, 2011 @ 8:03 PM.

Frenchy68

Frenchy68

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

I agree with you guys. Obviously they look great and I like their personalities and the relationship dynamic. The show is fun to watch in the short term, but in terms of skill and talent, they're not quite there. I wonder how successful they've been before the show. Maybe they charm themselves into a lot of jobs.

For the show to last, I think they do probably need to bring in a professional designer, either behind the scenes or on the show to play off the cousins. There are a lot of attractive men on television. I won't keep watching just for them. Right now, there just isn't a lot on this show you can learn or take inspiration from. They don't seem very creative with space planning or deliver any new ideas. Orange cabinets with a red backsplash, a cafe table for a family of 6, that cutting board, having to put in a smaller oven ... all perfect examples.

sistersledge

sistersledge

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

Interesting about her original oven, the one with a smaller oven on top. I've wanted one of those for a while since I often cook just a casserole or something and thought it would be more efficient not to have to heat the entire oven. I agree with her though that the bigger door opening completely flush to the ground is not the best idea.

I have almost the exact same oven and I never even realized the bottom one went down to the floor - considering I rarely open it flat like that. I almost always use the top one for daily cooking. It's great.

I love this show for the shots of Hoboken, which is where I sold my over-priced condo earlier this year. The episode (apartment/condo I think we use interchangeably) spoken about above was about 3 blocks from where I used to live. It's a newer building, however that corner floods ALL THE TIME (as does most of the town).

Edited by sistersledge, Dec 30, 2011 @ 12:44 PM.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

Obviously they look great and I like their personalities and the relationship dynamic. The show is fun to watch in the short term, but in terms of skill and talent, they're not quite there.

I was thinking the same thing after the episode where the fire department helped them bring up the giant stainless steel countertop -- Anthony's father was the one who solved the problem, just as it was the father and the client's father who took down the complicated chandelier. The boys should have really thought about things like actually getting the appliances, etc., into the space. I also hated the mural wall they put up with the photo of Grand Central Terminal. How distracting is that going to be in the background while you're trying to watch TV.

The blended family one was a repeat (already).

RangerRick

RangerRick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

I really liked what they did with the layout this week. (The family who didn't use an entire floor of their house because they hated the kitchen so much). The new layout made a lot of sense.

But I'm starting to think these boys may be color blind. Maybe it's just the color on my tv, but the taupe cabinets they've use a couple times seem to actually be a pale green color. Then they used a robin's egg blue for one section of cabinets. The counter top looked like it was olive green, and the backsplash appeared to be a dark red color. WTF? Those are all colors that do NOT go together!!! I would have been horrified if that had been my kitchen.

And then there was the custom dining room table. I think it was a neat idea, but it didn't really work. It would have been cool as a coffee table if it had been smaller and had shorter legs. But as a dining room table, the shape of the wood was just not practical.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

I did NOT get this latest project. First of all, the kitchen was NOT that bad. Generic, yes; functional, yes. Would have looked better with stainless steel or black appliances. (I'm not anti-white appliances, I have them myself, but mine are in a white kitchen.) People have lived with, and cooked in, MUCH less. (sorry for all the caps, but it was ridiculous)

The blue cabinets ... just no. I know that these guys love color, and love an unmatched kitchen, but there are other ways to put color into your kitchen. I did agree with moving the corner sink, and I liked the wine fridge if they said they were big-time into wine ... did the couple mention that? I also liked the 'credenza' type cabinets in the dining room. Lots of extra storage space, and lots of counter space for serving food.

John was pretty funny trying to back the truck into the loading dock, and when drying the finish on the dining room table. Show us your moves ... whoo hoo!

BTW, little baby was adorable. How cute.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Good comments, all. Don't know if my set displays the colors differently but that taupe (one of my favs, BTW) did read as taupe on our set. It can acquire an olive tint depending on what it's paired with, IMHO. IIRC, it was set against teal walls. Thought everything else (mostly) coordinated but don't believe they did the family any favors by talking them into that color scheme.

Yes, blue is currently in but what about in a few years? In addition, blue seems extremely taste specific. It's great if they consider this their family home and need not worry about resale. I did question the teal walls, however. When they selected everything, assumed they planned to paint. Probably would need to see how the colors read in person.

Lurker, you're correct - bet the kitchen could have been easily updated without a total gut job. It was so huge - no need to worry about the corner sink. Besides making the other fixes you mentioned, they could have taken the 2 corner walls down and installed an island for their open concept plus added the extra cabinet bank, wine fridge and buffet. Incidentally, I never heard them indicate a special need for the wine fridge.

BTW, anyone notice how they installed uppers on the living room side or at least partial uppers? Did I see that correctly? Didn't really understand that, assuming most young families today desire the open concept great room. In particular, most mothers seem to want their kitchen open to the fr/lr to allow them to monitor their children during dinner prep. It appeared to be only completely open to the dining room.

WRT dining rooms, tons of young couples don't even want them so not sure that's how they wanted their kitchen configured. Have to wonder if they simply went along with the KC suggestions without considering alternatives or thinking those things through. Hope they don't regret it later. (Reminds me that the chef and his wife were older and had their own ideas for their space much to the chagrin of the KC's.)

Appreciate their attempt with that dining table but it was only slightly better than the atrocious cutting board, IMHO. You're correct, Ranger - totally impractical. Hated the varying widths, narrow center and lack of flexibility (no leaves). Yuch! Hopefully they can ask a woodworker family member or their local carpenter to remake it into two items, e.g. a coffee table and desk. With so many rooms to furnish in that huge house, they could set-up a nice den, possibly near the public/company areas. The coffee table would look terrific in their l.r.

My guess on the empty rooms - it was a massive home (new to them) with many rooms and they simply hadn't gotten around to furnishing those. Sorry, KC's - gotta believe that was more faux drama for the show. That and John's vacuum backpack!

Loved the darling baby but found her distracting. Felt so sorry for her being carried around amidst not only them but the equipment, sound/lighting techs, producer/director, rest of the gang ... plus under those hot lights. Let her take a nap - please.

Edited by gazerguy, Jan 5, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

Frenchy68

Frenchy68

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

BTW, anyone notice how they installed uppers on the living room side or at least partial uppers? Did I see that correctly? Didn't really understand that, assuming most young families today desire the open concept great room. In particular, most mothers seem to want their kitchen open to the fr/lr to allow them to monitor their children during dinner prep. It appeared to be only completely open to the dining room.

I am pretty sure that the wall between the living room and kitchen was a supporting wall, so it probably could not be removed without a lot of expense. That job would probably be beyond the cousins' skill.

I didn't mind the overall layout, but I did think that the blue cabinet layout was odd. Why it had that gap with the low picture hanging in it, I have no idea. It seemed like a weird dead zone.

The dining table was also odd, especially since the point of those types of tables is to show off the wood, but they overloaded it with weird fall junk. I wondered if it didn't turn out quite right, so they covered it for the reveal. The staging wasn't good and makes me appreciate that it isn't as easy as it seems.

As for colors, I've just accepted that they do weird combinations. The blue didn't look like the blue they picked out in the showroom to me. But once again, Anthony dominated the design discussion, but John is supposed to be the designer. I still think they need to hire a real designer, if there's a second season.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Good point, Frenchy - obviously I wasn't thinking about whether it was load-bearing. If they're gc's as they claim during the open, it shouldn't be over their heads to throw in a header. The way I look at it - given the size and estimated cost of that kitchen and considering that one of their main goals was to create a great room, it deserves a header. The header would be a very small percentage of the overall budget. Not sure if we're talking about the same area when you mentioned the "gap with the low picture" but that living room side looked awful with the extra set of uppers, IMHO.

Another good call that they were probably concealing the table's finish with the junk. (I wouldn't call it "staging" b/c they weren't decorating to show the home.) All they needed to do was set the table with the couple's best stuff, centerpiece(s) and a few candles, leaving sufficient space to admire their handiwork. Definitely didn't notice a close-up.

John doesn't run the show (or biz, either) so he can't say a word, I'm sure. Anyone consider Anthony dogmatic? (No disrespect to dogs, BTW.) On that earlier episode, he was completely flummoxed that an experienced chef, of all people, would question them and have a few ideas for his own home kitchen. (Hope they ripped out that awful backsplash later.)

They need a designer but they'll never admit it.

Edited by gazerguy, Jan 5, 2012 @ 11:33 PM.

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

The dining table was also odd, especially since the point of those types of tables is to show off the wood, but they overloaded it with weird fall junk. I wondered if it didn't turn out quite right, so they covered it for the reveal.

It was still wet!! They tried to trick us by covering it with burlap or whatever that was, but the visible parts had shiny puddles! Horrifying.

As for colors, I've just accepted that they do weird combinations. The blue didn't look like the blue they picked out in the showroom to me.

I totally agree. They picked a cobalt or royal blue, and those cabinets were robin's egg. The wife didn't seem especially thrilled when she walked in the room, and I don't blame her.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

but I did think that the blue cabinet layout was odd. Why it had that gap with the low picture hanging in it, I have no idea. It seemed like a weird dead zone.

I agree ... they show things so quickly that it is hard to tell what exactly they were trying to achieve there.

How hard of a project will it be to repaint the blue cabinets? Oy.

Don't think they got a pot-filler over the cooktop ... I wonder why? Most of their projects have included that feature, which I would love.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

You're correct, Lurker. It's tough spotting the details as the camera whizzes by. Realized we had it on the other dvr so did a few freeze-frames. Yes, no pot filler. Have a feeling it was dropped b/c the stove-top was fairly close to the sink. It'd definitely be a major pita repainting those cabinets. If the KC's used the wrong color, IMHO it'd be best to ask them to immediately remove them and have them resprayed.

John should have verified the colors when he picked them up. I took a quick look at the design meeting. Not sure which specific shade the wife wanted. At the end of the scene, she picked up 3 shades of blue. Although the shade appeared darker on the graphic, I never find those colors true. WRT the taupe, it definitely appears that the countertop gives it an olive tint. I hated the blue skylight, too. (At least they did paint the dr taupe so the teal only appears in the lr.)

They created that dead zone/gap with the low picture by placing a corner cabinet and one bank of floor to ceiling standard cabinets on either side of that small wall. Didn't care for their placement of the two fill-in shelves - believe they needed to place one at the bottom, inbetween the two cabinets. Plus, they ended up with a small vertical gap inbetween the corner cabinet and the breakfast bar.

IMHO, instead of messing around with that dining table, they needed to show us their carpentry skills and build 2 shelving units, coordinated with the cabinets, to fill in both of those gaps. An appliance garage would have worked perfectly underneath the corner cabinet and possibly a plate rack or wine storage could have been placed inbetween those two cabinets. The two shelves they threw in there appeared cheap and improperly placed.

As mentioned above, I'd prefer a major corner island in that location, instead. The header is visible in the dr door frame. They probably needed to beef up that existing header and possibly add a corner column. That way, they could have removed the wall altogether, opening up the kitchen to the lr. Who wants it only open to their formal dr?

WRT that table, it's probably not big enough for both a desk and coffee table. (Strange size - either 4-top or barely 6.) The heat lamp trick wouldn't have worked so that was probably just John mugging for the camera. That type of project requires significant drying time or you end up with the puddling and pitting in the table. Incidentally, hated the dr light they used. It clashed with the breakfast bar pendants and looked better suited for an eat-in. That dr needs a chandelier. Yes, they need a designer.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

but I did think that the blue cabinet layout was odd. Why it had that gap with the low picture hanging in it, I have no idea. It seemed like a weird dead zone.

I was expecting the counter to wrap around and that dead space to be a mini desk area.

I wonder how much people pay for on this show? If it's free, then I'd be pretty happy with what they gave me. Otherwise, I'd really want to have more of a say in the layout and design.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Lola, good idea but unfortunately don't believe the mini desk would work. If they wrapped the peninsula/breakfast around, although it would retain the same length but IMHO, it would visually appear significantly smaller. (Hope that makes sense.) In addition, because they retained that wall, the kitchen would also appear smaller.

Yes, I definitely agree that the kitchen needed to be opened up to the large living room. Almost don't see the point of the entire job without a major island. If they needed to save a few $$$ elsewhere, then so be it. I would have prioritized the header. I'm sure that's what they wanted - they're going to hate being isolated from guests (and their kids, BTW) in the lr. Anyone else see a playroom in that formal dr's future? So much for entertaining with your new kitchen. That peninsula makes the kitchen feel small and isolated, IMHO.

Don't know who John thought he was fooling with his heat lamp dance routine. Beautiful, unfinished table with puddlin' and pittin'. Well, guess it works with the unfinished color story (incorrect shade), cabinet gap (yes, they needed to create a custom solution instead of hanging a cheap print) and unfinished header/closed wall. They didn't finish the job. JMHO.

Edited by diydude, Jan 8, 2012 @ 12:39 PM.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

First time viewer of this show. The eye candy is great, the renovations are not. IA that the blue colors chosen by the owners were completely different than the colors actually used. Also not a fan of two tone cabinets; they would have to be repainted for resale. And why did they paint the skylight?

WRT the table, my first thought was that when the daughter gets older, she's gonna be bumping into those sharp edges all the time. The gesture was nice, but it's not a child friendly piece of furniture. But even if the child wasn't a factor, I didn't like the table. It just looked like a big slab of wood.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

ITA, they have no open concept to the living room so that dining room will become a playroom, sans fugly slab of wood. Hopefully, they can repurpose it into either a desk or coffee table, as previously suggested.

Incidentally, IIRC, John stated they painted the skylight to contrast with the taupe and "ocean" blue. We hated it.

Welcome, Kendall - have to say, for your first time, IMHO, you viewed a fairly standard, representative KC. Were you hoping this episode was atypical?

Edited by diydude, Jan 10, 2012 @ 2:28 PM.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

you viewed a fairly standard, representative KC. Were you hoping this episode was atypical?

No, just wanted to see what it was like. I usually stick to HH, HHI, or PV on the HGTV station.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

If I had to guess, I'd believe most KC viewers prefer HGTV's non-RE offerings and watch to avoid those programs. Glad you joined us - many of us have been lobbying tptb to reduce the constant, never-ending RE programming. Hopefully, you're a Neilsen viewer. We need to recruit them!

Edited by diydude, Jan 11, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

No built-in microwave (among other things) in an updated kitchen? At least they didn't forget the wine fridge!