Lori Grimes: The lights are definitely off.

• Please log in to reply

513 replies to this topic

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

in reference to Rick's comment about his wife's ability to turn the lights off after Shane's lecture about women.

So, let's talk about Lori, her infidelity, her inability to remain consistent with the men in her life and her stupid shiny hair.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

I don't know how many times I told her to go back to shooting up heroin in the premiere on Sunday - to me the actress acts this the same exact way she acted Sara in Prison Break.

As for Lori - at this point she irritates me more than any of the others. As a mother I admire the fact that she got her son out of town and is still alive to fight the fight but she is just a little too high and mighty for me.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

As a mother I admire the fact that she got her son out of town and is still alive to fight the fight but she is just a little too high and mighty for me.

Shane was the one who got them out. So we can't even admire her for that.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

I could I could put up with Lori more if she did something useful for the group. Has she actually done anything valuable? She didn't want to scavenge for needed resources because it was a "graveyard". I don't remember if she was one of the womenfolk washing clothes but I remember that her mushroom hunting was just a ploy to go have sneaky sex with Shane.

If she was out there hunting, fishing, killing zombies, setting up alarm systems, taking her turn at watch, something anything I probably wouldn't be all STFU!

ETA: Worst thing is, I think I'm supposed to like/support her.

Edited by morrigan2575, Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:04 PM.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

Shane was the one who got them out. So we can't even admire her for that.

Well, I was thinking along the lines of her clinging onto Shane and getting out but you're right - he was likely the driving force and probably went to find them. He would bug me much less if it wasn't for his association with her.

Morrigan2575 Good point - she does nothing but bitch and judge. She wasn't among the clothes washers because her chat with Shane is what had him in such a foul mood prior to beating on Ed.

willowgerl

willowgerl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

As much as I dislike Lori, I wonder if it can really be considered "infidelity" if 1) the end of the world has happened 2) your husband's best friend informed you that your comatose husband has perished in said end of world 3) said husband's best friend proceeds to save you and your son's ass by hightailing it with you out of town an into (relative) safety. From my POV, perhaps Lori is just trying to make the best of things by casting her lot in with the man who has saved her and (at the time) offered her the best chance of survival? Also, Shane, dickish though he may be, isn't all that bad to look at. If I were in her shoes, I'd probably give it up too.

There are plenty of things that annoy me about her, but I'm not sure I'll be joining in the infidelity chorus. That said, I'm anticipating the impending Rick/Lori/Shane standoff with an amount of glee that probably isn't entirely healthy.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

I actually somewhat agree Willow, I can't get too bent out of shape with her for it.

I can call it tacky though.

willowgerl

willowgerl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:13 PM

Tacky, desperate, pathetic. Yes to all of that. I can't imagine how she must have felt hearing her husband had died is all, and being terrified about all the walkers walking and whatnot.

None of which negates the fact that the broad is annoying. (Edit: OR that she has handled Rick's return gracelessly w/r/t Shane. Or that she makes me wish she would get made into a Walker Happy Meal.)

Edited by willowgerl, Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:17 PM.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

Also sneaking into the woods to have sex with him? Taaaaaaacky.

I find it so hard to believe that no one else in Camp Ring the Dinner Bell didn't know.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

I agree too - I don't really think of it as infidelity - she thought her husband was dead, the world is ending, the normal rules of etiquette and waiting period before screwing have gone out the window. I found it interesting that my 15 year old son does not share my opinion on this though, he hates the bitch because of that.

I just hate her for other reasons.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

There are plenty of things that annoy me about her, but I'm not sure I'll be joining in the infidelity chorus. That said, I'm anticipating the impending Rick/Lori/Shane standoff with an amount of glee that probably isn't entirely healthy.

Only if they started the affair before ZA, either before Rick got shot or while he was in the coma; other than that, ITA no infidelity.

I kind of wish they'd have been honest about it, instead of this pretending nothing happened. It does make me wonder if something was going on before hand. I get it would be hard on Rick but a simple explanation of we thought you were dead, it's the end of the world, we just needed something to make us feel good...should work, maybe.

However, I guess that wouldn't play up the angst/love triangle.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

I get the impression that Shane has been attracted to her for awhile, or perhaps just envious of Rick's life and hey, now Rick is gone and he gets thrust into that position by circumstance.

willowgerl

willowgerl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

Only if they started the affair before ZA, either before Rick got shot or while he was in the coma; other than that, ITA no infidelity.

Do we know when it started? Maybe that's a comic topic (in which case, sorry!) or maybe it was implied in the series at some point and I missed it.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

I can't blame Lori for taking up with Shane either; to me that's pretty basic human nature working to pair them up in a horrific situation. Now, questioning the wisdom of taking time out from the hunting/gathering and general watchfulness to jump one another unprotected in the woods is another matter entirely.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

I don't remember them ever saying when it started, though Shane knew Rick was having problems with his wife before the ZA, and so even after death, having hump sessions should have been off limits.

Shane came onto Lori (and by came onto, I mean sexually assaulted and attempted to rape) at the CDC, and presumably she has still not told Rick a single thing.

That is what I hate her for. What she did by sleeping with Shane was despicable, but at least understandable. But now you're withholding information that Clutterbuck should know for sure. Why haven't you told him? Why are you trying to stop Shane from leaving? Why are you wearing flimsy tops and trying to make sure Shane is this way or that way with your son? Loathe her.

I wish they would write her out of the plot. I'd sooner put up with a Shick relationship than having grubby rapist in waiting always around.

It also bugs me that she's the wife of a sheriff's deputy and yet she is useless. Even when they handed her the gun and we were supposed to assume that it was cool because she knew how to use it - it still seemed that instead she just knows how to physically carry a gun, rather than being armed, if that makes sense. I'll fanwank it away by saying that Clutterbuck is so useful and take charge in most situations that she hasn't had to do much, but flash back to the pilot where she's taking pictures off the walls instead of grabbing oh I don't know, food and weapons, and I full on can't stand her. I wish she would have dove in front of the bullet meant for Carl.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:36 PM

Why are you wearing flimsy tops

I will take objection to this. Its freaken Georgia and there's no more AC.

I would be wearing at most a flimsy tank top.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:36 PM

I agree. Lori correctly figured out she had no skills to ensure the survival of herself and her son. She made a pragmatic decision to pair off with a man she already knew, trusted and liked, maybe even found attractive. I thought that was fine until that stupid scene in the woods back in season one. There's a frigging zombie apocalypse and her lover stalks her through the trees, all creepy and stuff and, instead of whacking him over the head with a branch, she fell into his arms. I was over Lori then.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

I will take objection to this. Its freaken Georgia and there's no more AC.

I guess, but when scratches mean you turn into a zombie, you might want to at least get something that will be the slightest bit protective. If she was really hot, she'd have cut off that mop of hair she's dragging around.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:12 PM

I guess, but when scratches mean you turn into a zombie, you might want to at least get something that will be the slightest bit protective. If she was really hot, she'd have cut off that mop of hair she's dragging around.

well yes, the hair continues to annoy, but I refuse to get uppity about someone in GA wearing a tank top. Especially where the implication is to be sexually provocative and not just its freaken GA. Also, Survivelist Darryl is also wearing a tank top, in fact no one is wearing long sleeves or anything like that. A long sleeve shirt isn't going to protect you from someone whose really trying to gouge you.

Edited by Vaya, Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:13 PM.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

She won me over a tiny bit this week with her "everybody get a grip" speech. And it's not like she's the only one dressing flimsily.

That said, can I just say that I love the title of this thread?

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

I don't think it was at all despicable that she slept with Shane. As others have noted, she thought her husband was dead, it's a Zombie Apocalypse, she knew this man before, etc, etc. It's not unreasonable that she'd seek security, companionship, comfort, etc. I even understand why they would not want to tell Rick when he came back. After Shane's attack at the CDC all bets are off. I don't understand why she hasn't told Rick other than that she hasn't had time. How long has it been since they were at the CDC? I can give her time to be shocked and upset that he would do such a thing, but then they all had to deal with the crazy doc, the CDC blowing up, getting away from the scene and being on the road with Carl, Carol and Sophia. She really hasn't had a chance to tell him. We'll see what happens in the future.

I don't really remember the division of labor from last season to know whether she helped out or not. I do think that in general they need to do a better job of dividing responsibilities, esp when these opportunities for on the fly scavenging occur. Someone should be in charge of food, someone else in charge of clothes, someone else in charge of weapons, someone else (other than Dale) in charge of being a look out, etc. Efficiency and speed are important!

Heatrae

Heatrae

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

I think she is meant by the scriptwriters to be a 1st class biatch. You gotta have an antagonist in these types of dramas, and she really fits the bill.

Maybe she'll get cornholed by a Zombie down the road in another peisode.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

Yeah, count me in the group that doesn't really have an issue with Lori hooking up with Shane (she though Rick was dead, Zombie Apocalypse, etc.), but I hate her for a whole bunch of other reasons. Getting moralistic at the wrong time (taking items from the cars is grave-robbing? WTF, lady?!), doesn't even seem to be teaching her son the basics of surviving and leaving that to either Shane or Rick, continuing to keep secrets from Rick (you know he'll find out some day, and it will be bad), and doesn't seem to do anything productive at all. It's like she just latches onto whoever the leader of the group is (Shane and Rick), and feels like she can just coast by. Ugh.

And, personally, while I don't think anyone in the cast will be winning Emmys, I find Sarah Wayne Callins to be the weakest of the cast. She comes off way to over-dramatic a lot and at times resorts to the old "wide-eye, open-mouth" style of acting, which can be annoying as hell. The worst time was in the first season when Emily was bitten and Andrea/Laurie Holden was owning the scene (IMO), they kept cutting to Lori's reaction, where Sarah was just ruining it, with her big old eyes and mouth gaping all "shocked." It just came out so over-the-top and hammy, especially compared to Rick's reaction, where Andrew Lincolin was thankfully more subtle in his shocked reactions. So, instead of fully enjoying the tense, sad scene, I instead would be watching Laurie be awesome one moment, and then trying not to laugh at Sarah's goofy faces the next.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

You do realize what corn holed means right?

I don't wish that on her, being eaten will be just fine.

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:31 PM

Vaya, I just looked it up, and gross! I don't think even this show would go that far. I always assumed it meant being gored, perhaps in the chest and head, and dying a brutal death.

Heatrae

Heatrae

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

spineofsnake

spineofsnake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

Err, Heatrae? That was the old definition of cornhole. This is the new one. But I'm guessing you knew that already. ;-)

I don't blame Lori one bit for hooking up with Shane. She's displayed no survival skills of her own and her husband is dead, so the only chance of her (and her kid's) survival means hooking up with a strong, capable man - and quick. It also makes sense to choose a guy she knows and trusts, rather than a random who might abandon her and Carl once he gets what he wants. I think you'd see LOADS of women trading sex for protection in that situation. You can't keep the same moral standards in a survival situation - something she obviously knows, which makes her "grave robbery" comments in this episode even more annoying and sanctimonious.

I don't think Lori is meant to be especially sympathetic, and Sarah Wayne Callies is a bland actress at best (I liked her character in Prison Break, but she was bland in that too.) I would like her better if she showed some introspection, an acknowledgment of her own massive flaws in addition to attacking everyone else for theirs. And I know it's been mentioned before, but I find her weight loss for this role extreme to the point of being disturbing. I showed my dad this episode (he's never seen the show before) and all he could comment on was her weight. "Why is that woman so skinny? Is she sick? What's wrong with her?"

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

Did SWC lose weight for this role? I noticed that she was super skinny, but I didn't know it was for this role.

I didn't get the sense that Lori hooked up with Shane to ally herself with a protector. Maybe a general sense of safety and security with someone she know, but it didn't seem calculated to me.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

She won me over a tiny bit this week with her "everybody get a grip" speech

I think she's a very realistic character because she's not just "the prize" on a love triangle, she actually had something to say to Sophie's mother, she understood Andrea and was protective of both Carl and Sophie for as long as they were together.

She has some surviving skills on her own, even before the speech.

Edited by agora, Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:04 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 7:24 AM

She has some surviving skills on her own, even before the speech.

I'm curious as to what you see as her survival skills, I haven't seen any that I consider valuable. I don't think Lori could survive for on her own. Andrea could, Jackie quite possibly could have, Carole IMO is also a no.

As bad as this sounds, the only survival skill I've seen from Lori is latching onto a strong man (Shane and/or Rick) which, works but I don't consider it a skill. Skill, is being able to defend yourself and others (Andrea and Jackie) being able to provide food (Andrea and her sister Amy?), provide labor resources (Jackie, Carol, Andrea + sister). Other than looking after her own kid I've yet to see Lori do anything useful. Even the mushroom picking was just a sneaky sex romp for Shane/Lori, IIRC it was actually planned, she was expecting him.