Social Issues in SoA: Gender, Race, Gun Control, and Others

• Please log in to reply

94 replies to this topic

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

I agree, however SAMCRO are not the Nazis where all the Asians, Latinos, Jews and maybe Arabs and Persians would be considered "mud people" and their charter reflects American society where African Americans, and by extension Afro-Latinos and Africans where set aside for extra special treatment. In the 40 years since the founding of the club America changed. The entire Juice story line seemed weird when Happy seems to carry a more outwardly African appearance to me. But then I guess to the hard core KKK if not Nazi types the Southern Italian Catholic folk belong to the "other" category as long as recruitment for of Northern and Western European boys remained high enough.

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

I sometimes have trouble enjoying this show due to its characterization and portrayal of female characters.  I don't find the misogyny offensive when the show is just reflecting the reality of this world, but I am offended when the misogyny is coming from the show itself. Tara's character is the one I have the biggest issue with.

But I actually wanted to discuss one scene in particular that still makes my blood boil: where Jax attacks Ima. I only recently started watching the show and have been reading tons of articles and blogs about it. [snip]

My issue with this scene isn't that it occurred; I'm sure it's an accurate portrayal of the violence these men commit against women who are on the lowest rungs of the power structure. My issue with it is that it seems to have been intended as a "Hell yeah!" moment [snip] because somehow Ima had it coming. I found the scene so disturbing--it was a turning point in my view of Jax. Not to say that I think Ima was just an innocent bystander in the whole mess. But the quality of the violence (the head-slamming, the spitting, the insults) was so disproportional to her crime, especially for someone who clearly could not defend herself. 

And on top of that, the old ladies take their aggression out on the women with whom their husbands cheat, rather than their husbands (you know, the ones who actually made the vow to be faithful). I'm not saying that it was right for Ima to pursue and sleep with married men, but I don't think she should be the one to reap all the (violent) consequences for doing so.

Edited by meandthemoon, Dec 10, 2013 @ 2:14 AM.
Talking about fan reaction is boards on boards

samcro33

samcro33

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:25 AM

Well she did threaten and wave a loaded gun around in room that contained Jax's wife, son, and mother; so I kind of understood his level of retaliation.

Edited by samcro33, Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:25 AM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

I don't, and I don't think it was intended as a "hell, yeah" moment at all. I think it was designed to show that, no matter how pleasant and loving and fun Jax and the other club members can be, the system and the values they believe in are rotten. In any case, it was a disturbing scene. 

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

Well she did threaten and wave a loaded gun around in room that contained Jax's wife, son, and mother; so I kind of understood his level of retaliation.

What she did was stupid and dangerous, no doubt. But I'll be honest, I understood why she did it.  If I recall correctly, the people in the clubhouse were being rather intimidating towards her (since she had just slept with Opie) and she probably felt threatened. And I [don't see] those people as having the moral high ground. We have a person who held a gun to a baby (Gemma) and another who beat up her supervisor for actually doing her job and who shot up Ima's car for flirting with Jax (Tara). 

I also don't think Jax's violence towards her was all about the gun. I'm sure it had to do with a lot of it. But the vitriol seemed to be directed at her for being a whore and apparently forcing married men to sleep with her and making their wives mad.

Jax could have easily sent the same message without that level of violence. He could have broken things in her room and threatened her if she ever came near the clubhouse again. I'm pretty sure someone in Ima's position would have gotten the message, especially if it came from one of the men.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 10, 2013 @ 6:42 PM.
"Sorry, but" is dismissive