Fanfiction and Other Fan Works: Wherein Daryl is Not a "Total Virgin"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

25 replies to this topic

Cowshark

Cowshark

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

Well, given that fanfiction. net has several pages' worth of TWD fic, it seemed time to start this thread. Right now, I'm reading a great Daryl-centric fic called Friction Match. I imagine we'll see even more fic now that the show's back, including tons of Daryl/Mary Sue fic. "Total virgin" my ass, Norman.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 4:26 PM

I'm biased, of course, because I actually beta'd "Friction Match," but I wanted to second the recommendation--it's fantastic.

ljp

ljp

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Just read it. Liked it a lot. Anyone have other recs?

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

Wait, NR thinks that Daryl is a virgin? LOL. If you see any Andrea/Rick or Daryl/Andrea fanfiction out there, let me know. I think those would be rather interesting pairings.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Fanfiction.net has TWD section up and the most popular pairing so far: Daryl/Glenn.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:32 AM

Rick/Andrea has always been one of the most popular ships in The Walking Dead (if not THE ship). There's a Rick/Andrea LiveJournal community that has a few fics. I believe the members are mostly comic book fans, so watch out for spoilers. Or just read the comics. There are so many beautiful Rick/Andrea scenes in the comics. They are really wonderful when they get to interract.

Haven't seen any Daryl/Andrea fics, but I'm super intrigued by this dynamic. Norman and Laurie seem like such close friends, and that chemistry totally showed in the previews. I can't wait to see where it goes.

Edited by Lillywhite, Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:33 AM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

Just read what I consider to be the first truly great piece of Glenn/Daryl slash at FF.net. Sometimes I Think I Can Dream.

It bears some similarities to "Friction Match," in that it's primarily about Daryl finding his place in the group through his connection to Glenn, but it traces the events of the first season instead of going for original plotting, and it's NC-17. The characterization is great and the writing is gorgeous.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

• Interests:Writing, museums, rock concerts, bad puns, good coffee, wine, fangirling ;), Philadelphia, and the increasingly rare good, scripted tv show.

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 7:18 PM

There's another one called Unexpected. Again, beautiful writing and pitch perfect characterization. Some spoilers comics-wise and a few inserts that Boondock Saints fans will appreciate. Very highly recommended. Clocks in at 33 chapters though, so set aside some time.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 1:02 AM

There's a Daryl/Andrea fic called Tent. It's rated M, so head's up.

What is it with all the Mary Sues in this fandom? My goodness. I'd rather face a herd of zombies. And they're all after Daryl! I can just see a bunch of teenage girls chasing after him while he shoots them down with his crossbow.

KateMantle

KateMantle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 29, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

What is it with all the Mary Sues in this fandom? My goodness. I'd rather face a herd of zombies. And they're all after Daryl! I can just see a bunch of teenage girls chasing after him while he shoots them down with his crossbow.

LOL, poor Daryl, teenage girls are worse than zombies when they get an idea in their heads.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 4:03 AM

This is the first fic in this fandom that I've been extremely impressed with: Metrics of Perception.

It's a Daryl/Andrea story that explores their evolving story lines and how they intertwine together. Each chapter is usually written after a new episode airs so as to braid together with fanon the canon storyline.

When I first came upon the idea of Daryl/Andrea I just laughed and laughed, because it seemed so implausible to me, but this story has completely turned me around. It explores Andrea's hidden turmoil so well, and in doing so it kinda gives you a sense of how similar she is to Daryl, and how many shared experiences they've had and how they use that to grow closer to each other. Give it a shot. It's so well written.

GageWhitney

GageWhitney

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

This is the first fic in this fandom that I've been extremely impressed with: Metrics of Perception.

I second this emotion. That fic is amazingly well done. There's a really organic buildup to a relationship between Daryl/Andrea. Plus, the author is awesome and has been so great about updating frequently.

electricfish

electricfish

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I'll agree, although a couple of the chapters have Daryl using some mighty big vocabulary words.

Ballistic Liz

Ballistic Liz

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

I'm rec'ing both of Cider Sky's current Daryl Dixon fic's, they are both non-romantic, good interesting plots and great characterization, so need more love and reviews over 10,000 words each:

Once Bitten, Twice Dead

Daryl stood, glancing down at the bite wound, angry and swollen and gushing precious blood. A death sentence. Except, he wakes up three days later, alive as the rest of the them. Gen. Multi-Chapter.

and

This Time Tomorrow

'He wakes up on the floor of the RV, again, just like the day before, and the dozen days before that.' Daryl gets a second chance at saving Sophia; and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth ... TimeLoopAU

Enjoy! they were both awesome!

Cowshark

Cowshark

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Just finished reading an awesome fic. It's an AU based off what if Sophia survived, and has a great story. It's also Daryl/Glenn, but even if you hate slash and/or shipping fic, I really recommend reading it, because the story is that well done. Heck, even T-Dog gets a storyline in this one!

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I second the rec by Cowshark for The Cake Job. I am also admittedly biased because I was one of the betas for the fic, but it is truly an epic future AU, with excellent characterizations for Daryl, Sophia and T-Dog (as well as the rest) and with great, detailed world-building.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

It's been a bit so I thought I would change the post. With the season ending next week, who are the must read authors and the best stories out there? I'm looking to fill up some time before the new season starts.

Also, where is the best place to go? I prefer AO3 only because it's fan run and easy to read. Other than that I've got fanfiction.net and they are tiresome in their setup and reading. Anywhere else?

Edited by caseylane, Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

GageWhitney

GageWhitney

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Since the subject of Daryl/Andrea fans existing has come up, I thought I'd rec a few really great D/A fics that have been posted just in the last week:

Carve and Mend

Machines

you take pieces of me with you when you leave

The Old Ball and Chain

Ballistic Liz

Ballistic Liz

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Whiskey & Cakesters*off of the author's profile page*

Whiskey & Cakesters: The inspiration for this story came from one of the interviews with someone involved with the show (I don't remember who) they said something to the effect "What would this character do in this situation" and that made me think what would Daryl being the least paternal of the whole group do if he had to look after Carl and Sophia. And so the story was born.

I'm rec'in this wonderful story about Daryl, Carl, and Sophia which is still a WIP but was just updated a few days ago... I'm going to be reading lots of Walking Dead fic for the next few months.

1. Whiskey & Cakesters »reviews
In the chaos of a walker ambush Carl and Sophia are separated from their parents, placing them in the care of Daryl Dixon, who is fully capable of surviving on his own but has no experience being a guardian. Will he be able to get them all back safely?
Walking Dead - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 12 - Words: 39,226 - Reviews: 167 - Updated: 3-23-12 - Published: 9-17-11 - Daryl D. & Carl G.

Edited by Ballistic Liz, Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:30 AM.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Ok, the season is over. Any good Daryl/OMC? I think I've read most of the Daryl/Glen I can find.

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

• Interests:You'll have to either ask or infer.

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

I really enjoyed the Cake Job, Daryl really has that "Heath Leger in Brokeback Mountain" thing going on in it in spades! Now I wish the show would make him "that way" too!

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I read The Cake Job but I found it to have too much Sophia. I liked the premis a lot though, Daryl and the rest hunting down Walkers for money.

Edited by caseylane, May 2, 2012 @ 8:51 AM.

Ouisch

Ouisch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Having re-watched every DVR'd ep to death while waiting for October, I finally turned to FanFic.net to get some new Walking Dead material in the meantime. Found a couple of interesting ones, but Here We Are, Come Join Us is one that managed to keep my attention through 20-plus chapters. Involves Daryl and an OC, which I normally don't care for, but it's well written enough and gives some interesting author-created backstory on some characters that makes me excuse the occasional Mary Sue-ish-ness.

IncogNinja

IncogNinja

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

Is it weird to rec your own fic? If so, please treat this post accordingly.

I'm writing a BTVS/TWD crossover with a Faith Lehane/Daryl Dixon pairing called Watch Me Burn.

SUMMARY: You think you know everything—that you've seen it all, that nothing will ever surprise you, that death and destruction is all you'll ever know—but nothing will ever be that simple again.

RATING: M/NC-17

You can find it at AO3 and FFn.

LadyNebula

LadyNebula

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

A couple I love:

If It Weren't For Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All - Set between Seasons 2 & 3, mainly Caryl, but has all of the characters. Well written, and actually funny (while actually meaning to be). It's so hard to find well-written Caryl, so I especially enjoyed this.

Dear Mr Hawkeye - AU, Daryl/Glenn.

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

• Interests:You'll have to either ask or infer.

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

I hope InCogNinja writes more of theirs!