Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Some funny Daryl content.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Daryl is still awesome. I liked his interaction with Carol, but I have to say I was disappointed that he shot an arrow at a zombie with a mask/visor on. He had to know it was going to just bounce off. It's also starting to get implausible that he would continue to have arrows/ammo. I don't remember him picking back up a single arrow this time around. But I suppose whenever they get near a sporting goods store he could go to town. Almost nobody would have gone for those first.

fivemoon

fivemoon

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I didn't care for those moments of showing the group as being too dumb to immediately realize helmets protected the zombies from weapons either. :/

It's also starting to get implausible that he would continue to have arrows/ammo.

Daryl has been shown making arrows in the previous season, though. I don't recognize the quiver he's using either, so that might be newly-made as well.

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Some funny Daryl content.

HAHAHA! I had to pause it because I was laughing too hard at my desk.

Jporr0121

Jporr0121

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Yeah, he makes his own arrows. Last season, when he exiled himself from the group, he made four or five of them in a short amount of time. I imagine during the winter he had a bunch of time to stock up.

I can give him a pass for shooting the riot zombie. In the heat of the moment, he probably just instinctively shot his crossbow and realized his mistake too late.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

I like that Daryl did, in fact, make a mistake, and a stupid one at that. When a dark horse character like Daryl occurs in a show, writers trip over themselves turning then into Mary Sues who are always right and perfect to appease the fanbase, which means the character becomes a lot less interesting as a result. I definitely want more of him and I want him to grow, but I'd hate if he were to lose all of his edges.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I think taking a shot at one of the riot helmet zombies was worth a try. It might have worked. Doing it twice would have been stupid.

I loved that it was Maggie who figured out how to take out those walkers, though. Women FTW!

Buried Treasure

Buried Treasure

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I liked the way the assault team as a group dealt with the riot gear zombies. They were faced with a new type of threat and instead of all rushing in half-assed the team stood back to let Daryl - the person with the weapon mostly likely to have a chance of punching through the armour - take his shot. Then when that did not work they were all in position to move in to attempt close-up combat.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I am really loving Daryl. I always found Norman Reedus hot but the third season, Daryl is doing it for me. I think he is not only hot but a total Badass. I like the evolution his character has been through, he saved T Dog, did more then anyone to find Sophia and really came through for and began to care about the group.

Daryl as Rick's right hand has always made sense. He trusts Rick and the group needs and trusts Daryl and Rick depends on him a great deal as well. I hope to see more of the Rick/Daryl friendship.

I just cannot get behind Daryl/Carol. I see no chemistry there, feel she is too mother like and honestly week for Daryl. I wish they where not so gun ho for Maggie/Glen becuase Maggie or Andrea would be much better suited for Daryl.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I just cannot get behind Daryl/Carol. I see no chemistry there, feel she is too mother like and honestly week for Daryl. I wish they where not so gun ho for Maggie/Glen becuase Maggie or Andrea would be much better suited for Daryl.

I don't see "chemistry" there either. I don't think any chemistry would be possible for either of the characters. They are both people who were horribly abused and damaged. They may have sought each other out solely because they were the only people left to pair up with.

Vaysh

Vaysh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I don't want any romantic entanglements between Daryl and Carol either. I do like the friendship aspect though; I think they understand each other better than any of the others ever could because of similar backgrounds and history of abuse. They should be BFFs, not lovers.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I like that Daryl did, in fact, make a mistake, and a stupid one at that.

I like that he appears to be the only southern character on TV smart enough to realize where "little Shane" came from, I like that he's not a walking cliche drooling over the hot teen blond girl from every Eric Kripke TV show and I even like that he makes mistakes like a normal person would.

He feels like a real human being rather than a superhero with a crossbow. I'm willing to get past the sterotypical one-liners because of it too.

Edited by visenya6, Oct 20, 2012 @ 6:30 PM.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I love that the writers understand the difference between "uneducated" and "stupid", which is something television rarely does without invoking the dreaded "obfuscating stupidity" trope, which has, IMHO, been done to death. There are hints that Merle is smart too, although I don't think he's as smart as Daryl, who's been shown to be shrewd, observant, and discerning. Being rural doesn't mean you're automatically good at skills like hunting, tracking, or herbal lore, just that you're more exposed to them. That Daryl excels at all of those things shows how intelligent and adaptive he is. It's hard to believe that the same people who created Daryl created Lori.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Merle is smart, resourceful and fearless. He is also, frankly, evil. Michael Rooker is excellent at conveying this sense of evil.

I am really glad that Merle will be coming back, and have been looking forward to it since the rooftop scene. He is going to be PISSED and he is going to be NASTY and it is going to be FUN to watch.

Re Daryl:

He feels like a real human being rather than a superhero with a crossbow. I'm willing to get past the sterotypical one-liners because of it too.

This. While I might pick Rick as the leader I'd want in a zombie apocalypse, if it was just me and someone else, I'd want Daryl having my back. He might not be a superhero, but he's the best actual human and with him, you'd have a better than average shot at getting back alive.

I'm also pretty sure he wouldn't shoot me in the leg like Shane did to Otis, even if it seemed like a good idea.

Edited by JOnanGoopta, Oct 20, 2012 @ 8:50 PM.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I am so loving Daryl in the role of Rick's right hand man. He is much more skilled, proactive and awesome at the job then Shane. Plus I feel despite himself Daryl truely cares about the group and Rick and he is such a asset to them now. I loved him being all badass with the crossbow and going into protective mode with the group and him killing the walker to save Rick was great. I hope we see more awesomeness to come from Daryl. For me he is truely not expendable. The show and the group would suffer termendously without Daryl and I like the touches of truely decency from Daryl that are touches NR insisted they add to make his character more compelling. As badass as Daryl is, I could never see him capable of some of the truely awful things Shane and even Rick have done, he has too much compassion for that. Off all the people outside maybe Carl and Glenn I truely think Daryl is the most decent human their.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I could never see him capable of some of the truely awful things Shane and even Rick have done, he has too much compassion for that.

Well don't forget S1 "Zero Tolerance For Walkers!" Daryl who wanted to shoot Jim in the head the moment he got bit. Rick wanted to let Jim decide his fate, and even Shane didn't want to "leave a man behind". Daryl came around in the end, but had to be physically rebuffed before he could take out Jim. Daryl also wanted to leave Glenn behind with the Vatos. I think this show has done a decent job of showing that in the zombie apocalypse, morality is fleeting at best.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I like that he appears to be the only southern character on TV smart enough to realize where "little Shane" came from, I like that he's not a walking cliche drooling over the hot teen blond girl from every Eric Kripke TV show and I even like that he makes mistakes like a normal person would.

This. While I might pick Rick as the leader I'd want in a zombie apocalypse, if it was just me and someone else, I'd want Daryl having my back. He might not be a superhero, but he's the best actual human and with him, you'd have a better than average shot at getting back alive.

I think what makes him a real person to me is that he's flawed but solid, stern but vulnerable, you can see his bad side as often as the good side and he's not afraid to speak his mind whether we like it or not.

He could've survived on his own, but he chose to be sorrounded by people. He could've let himself die when he lost his brother, but he found a reason to hang on instead. He could've bullied those weaker than him, but he developed attachments and made new connections with them.

Edited by visenya6, Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:47 PM.

somewherewest

somewherewest

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 5:55 AM

He could've survived on his own, but he chose to be sorrounded by people.

That is what makes Daryl so interesting. He's an awkward loner and the only one (except probably Rick and maybe Shane) who could've survived the early days on his own, yet he stuck with the group.

Buried Treasure

Buried Treasure

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

He could survive pretty well day-to-day on his own, but overall his chances of survival are better with a group. Pre-apocalypse Daryl lived at the edges of society and fared well enough, but society then had enough excess capacity that it could provide him assistance if he ever needed it; he could get injured and there were hospitals, if his car broke down he could go to a garage. Now there is none of that, an injury like the one he had last season - even though it only took him out for a couple of days - could result in his death if he was on his own.

That's why I find Daryl so interesting - because his learning curve is in the opposite direction to everyone else's. They were all ordinary members of society that had to learn skills for fighting and how to become wilder people - he's had to learn the skills of being a central figure of his social group.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Daryl's line in the season premiere about Little Shane having an appetite was interpreted much differently on these boards than how I interpreted it. Everybody seems to think he is referring to the baby as Little Shane.

So I rewatched the premiere, and I still stand by my original interpretation: Little Shane is Rick. Carol's line immediately afterwards, "Be nice. He's gotten us a lot farther than I would have thought." make me think he was referring to Rick and not the unborn baby. Thoughts?

I actually think this is intriguing, because while I believe Daryl really likes and respects Rick, I think he also notices that Rick has had to become a little more Shane-like in order to survive.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

That is what makes Daryl so interesting. He's an awkward loner and the only one (except probably Rick and maybe Shane) who could've survived the early days on his own, yet he stuck with the group.

More so, I think it's the people Daryl chose to stick with: Carol, Glenn, etc. He doesn't follow the alpha-dogs, but get attached to the T-Dogs of the group, this is a person who didn't go after someone who'd make him look good, but made a home for himself with the ones who make him feel good.

To me, society has only changed once you see a man like Daryl define his newfound success by completely different standards.

Edited by visenya6, Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:24 AM.

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

So I rewatched the premiere, and I still stand by my original interpretation: Little Shane is Rick. Carol's line immediately afterwards, "Be nice. He's gotten us a lot farther than I would have thought." make me think he was referring to Rick and not the unborn baby. Thoughts?

This was my interpretation as well. He saw Rick isolating himself from the rest of the group and that reminded of Shane's autocratic rule. Of course, the reason why Rick seems to be isolating himself is because he finds being near Lori awkward and uncomfortable, and he'd rather prowl around the perimeter a few dozen times than sit around the campfire with Lori.

Interesting because Carol's "be nice" is a reversal of last season when she was the one skeptical of Rick and Daryl defended him. I think their support of Rick is still provisional, as far as leadership goes, though I think Rick and Daryl trust each other implicitly in battle.

Edited by Zyx, Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:55 AM.

Megamos

Megamos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Daryl also wanted to leave Glenn behind with the Vatos.

Did he? I don't remember that. Jim was bitten, was going to die and turn. There was no doubt about that. Daryl would never have tried to kill Jim if he weren't a threat.

He could've survived on his own, but he chose to be sorrounded by people.

One thing Norman Reedus has said in interviews is that Daryl needs these people more than he realizes. So you're right, Daryl could have survived on his own but chose to stay with them even though he may not have realized why at first.

That's why I find Daryl so interesting - because his learning curve is in the opposite direction to everyone else's. They were all ordinary members of society that had to learn skills for fighting and how to become wilder people - he's had to learn the skills of being a central figure of his social group.

I this is so right. While everyone has had to learn to protect themselves, Daryl has had to learn better social skills. He already knows how to protect himself.

I am loving this new trust between Daryl and Rick. Someone in the episode thread said something about how many times Rick yells for Daryl during their battles. Rick completely trusts Daryl now and Daryl is always there at his back. Being loyal is a good quality to have and Daryl is very loyal. And Rick is ultimately a good man who deserves that loyalty. Merle on the other hand, I think the only love and loyalty Daryl has for him is because he is family. It makes me wonder what Daryl's childhood would have been like if Rick was his big brother instead of Merle. Although Daryl wouldn't have been the badass survivalist he is today if Rick were his brother. He still would have been tough and loyal but he wouldn't have had those particular skills that have come in so handy.

IkeJae33

IkeJae33

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

This was my interpretation as well. He saw Rick isolating himself from the rest of the group and that reminded of Shane's autocratic rule. Of course, the reason why Rick seems to be isolating himself is because he finds being near Lori awkward and uncomfortable, and he'd rather prowl around the perimeter a few dozen times than sit around the campfire with Lori.

Interesting because Carol's "be nice" is a reversal of last season when she was the one skeptical of Rick and Daryl defended him. I think their support of Rick is still provisional, as far as leadership goes, though I think Rick and Daryl trust each other implicitly in battle.

I thought and still think Little Shane meant the baby. Carol's remark of be nice could have been... you know you aren't just making fun of Lori, but also your buddy Rick "who got us a lot farther than I thought he would" since you are teasing about his wife having Shane's baby. But really I saw it as two separate things when I watched it. There was be nice, then reflective Carol with the comment about Rick.
Also, wasn't the comment about Little Shane being hungry? Rick wasn't eating, he was skulking around the fence while most everyone else ate.

Edited by IkeJae33, Oct 23, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

It makes me wonder what Daryl's childhood would have been like if Rick was his big brother instead of Merle.

I don't know, Rick sounds so detached when it comes to family. I mean, Hershel is more aware of Carl & Beth than Rick is and, for all his flaws, there must have been something about Merle that taught Daryl to be this involved with those around him IMO.

One thing Norman Reedus has said in interviews is that Daryl needs these people more than he realizes. So you're right, Daryl could have survived on his own but chose to stay with them even though he may not have realized why at first.

Survival is not living, I often remember myself after Khal Drogo's demise on Game of Thrones: to see exactly what life is worth, when all the rest has gone. Daryl's life is still worth living because, in his case, he did hang on.

Edited by visenya6, Oct 23, 2012 @ 1:29 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Daryl also wanted to leave Glenn behind with the Vatos.

Did he? I don't remember that.

Yep! In Vatos. He was ready to leave Glenn, take the guns and go. Morality is fleeting in this world, and I think as has been astutely pointed out, Daryl had yet to learn social skills like these. I don't think Daryl would even think about leaving Glenn behind now, ever.

Megamos

Megamos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I don't think Daryl would even think about leaving Glenn behind now, ever.

Its been a while since I've seen the first season. This just shows how much Daryl has changed since then.

I don't know, Rick sounds so detached when it comes to family. I mean, Hershel is more aware of Carl & Beth than Rick is and, for all his flaws, there must have been something about Merle that taught Daryl to be this involved with those around him IMO.

Rick is detached now, but before the ZA he wasn't like that at all. He was determined to get to his family and it was just luck that he found the group that his family was in. Unless I missed something again. I was just speculating about what Daryl's life would have been like without the bullying, overbearing presence of Merle. We've actually seen very little of Merle, but Michael Rooker is such a good actor that he was able to show us who Merle is with the limited amount of time that he had. I'm very interested in finding out more about Merle and I can't wait for Michael Rooker to be back on my tv screen. I don't think Merle would have taught Daryl to be involved with those around him. In Daryl's pain induced vision of Merle, he is very mean and hateful towards the people in the group, Rick in particular, telling Daryl the only one who loves him is Merle. Of course, this was all in Daryl's head and not actually Merle, but Daryl's got a pretty good idea of what his brother would say and do. I think Merle even told him he should have left the group to come find him. But I could be wrong about that part. The Daryl we see in season 3 is Daryl without the influence of Merle. Becoming the man he is supposed to be and I don't think he could have done that with Merle in his life. Take a look at Carol for instance, without her abusive husband around, we are starting to see the real Carol. The funny, flirty, stronger Carol who will cut open a walker corpse to better prepare herself for the c-section that may be needed. We would never have seen the real Carol with Ed still around to abuse her. Its the same with Daryl and Merle.

Jporr0121

Jporr0121

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Nah, Little Shane being hungry had to be about the baby. Like someone said, Rick wasn't eating... in fact, he gave his food to Lori. So the appetite thing doesn't make sense. Also, calling Rick "Little" Shane would be quite strange. I don't think Daryl sees Shane in Rick. He just sees Rick.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Rick is detached now, but before the ZA he wasn't like that at all. He was determined to get to his family and it was just luck that he found the group that his family was in.

So was Merle, albeit in a white trashy/redneck renaissance way, otherwise he wouldn't be as important for Daryl to hallucinate about him. The zombie apocalypse may have changed a lot of people, but this is still the Daryl who grew up with Merle, the one who learned how to track with him and hunted with him. Same as Carol is still the same woman who married an abusive husband, used to flirt with him or joke around with him.

For all I know, Rick was this detached from his family long before the zombie apocalypse, he just had different reasons to be detached back then (work, stress, money, etc.).

Edited by visenya6, Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

bestever

bestever

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

The Daryl we see in season 3 is Daryl without the influence of Merle. Becoming the man he is supposed to be and I don't think he could have done that with Merle in his life. Take a look at Carol for instance, without her abusive husband around, we are starting to see the real Carol. The funny, flirty, stronger Carol who will cut open a walker corpse to better prepare herself for the c-section that may be needed. We would never have seen the real Carol with Ed still around to abuse her. Its the same with Daryl and Merle

That totally makes sense, and even explains Darryl's attachment to Carol actually. They are a lot more alike than one would assume at first glance. Like you said, in Darryl's hallucination of Merle, it showed how hateful and mean Merle was even to his own brother. He was bonded to him through family and loyalty is obviously in Darryl's blood. Remember though, when Darryl was walking with Andrea and explained how he was always left to defend himself against his abusive dad. Merle was always "in juvie", and wasn't there to protect him.

I love this season so far and how tight this group has become, especially Rick with his two lieutenants: Darryl and T-dog. The trust, loyalty and how awesome they work as a cohesive unit is a beautiful thing.

Edited by bestever, Oct 24, 2012 @ 3:10 PM.