Comics vs Show: Compare and Contrast

• Please log in to reply

635 replies to this topic

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

So, I just read #100 last night. Twice before I thought I was done with this series and now I think I might really be done with it. Here's the thing....if
Spoiler
REALLY wanted to break
Spoiler
, he actually should have "run a train on him", THAT would have done the job. Killing
Spoiler
will only cause
Spoiler
to be that much more batshit. I f'in hated it so much. Heading into season three of the tv show everyone is wondering if the Governor storyline is really "going there" and right now Im thinking the tv show will never ever go where the comic has gone now.

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I think we can discuss the comics without spoiler tags once the issue has been publicly released.

I agree with you, diebartdie. It was hard seeing Glenn beaten to death so gruesomely, especially with his wife and child right there. However, this team has seen a lot on the road, and I don't see how this is worse than what happened to Michonne, Rick, Dale, or what almost happened to Carl with the rape. I guess the difference is that the characters and the reader literally saw the horror face to face?

So far, this is a rehash of the Governor, and I have no interest in that. One difference is that Neegan seems to have more people in his gang who are willing to be brutal and kill. Many of the Governor's people were cowed by him and didn't seem to want to be involved in the actual evildoing.

I think Rick will be set on revenge in the short term, but I'm interested to see how he reacts when he sees what I assume will be a carnage back at the homestead. This group is also fast losing the main badasses. Abraham and Glenn were both big assets. Michonne and Andrea weren't convinced that they should insert themselves into this situation and now their worries were born out. How will they want to proceed? Who are the other good fighters?

I'm not good with the names of the people who were originally in the group. There's Aaron who seemed good on the road when recruiting Rick's group, but we haven't seen much of him in a fight that I can remember. Holly, but she just lost Abraham so how is she fairing? There's the black guy with locs whose name I can't remember, but he was more of a runner like Glenn even though he does have fighting skills. Abraham had a few guys who worked the zombie trench with him so maybe they will step up? There are just not a lot of fighters in this group so I don't see how they will compete with Neegan and his lot. Jesus is good, but will they be able to make it back to the Hilltop, and how many people there can fight?

To me, this issue marked another turning point. Right when things were looking up, we get a reminder that not everyone has the same good intentions on rebuilding a safe world. It seems like a lesson the survivors keep relearning. Frankly it's starting to get repetitive.

I was looking forward to a real game changer here, but it seems like more of the same and another dark arc like the Governor. I was hoping it would be something big like a fastforward, a flashback to how society fell apart so quickly or a focus on another group of survivors. Something major. I will keep reading, but I hope this goes in a new direction and is not a retread of old themes.

Edited by Crandle, Jul 12, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Crandle, I think your analysis is spot on. It is indeed getting repetitive and that whole sequence just reminded me that Kirkman is not a very good storyteller :/ It was so weird reading Neegan go over each person and why they would or might not be on his kill list and remembering Kirkman kind of said the same thing in an interview not that long ago. Glenn did not need to die, if it was supposed to make me as a reader invest in a big revenge story arc....well....I think it failed. I loved Glenn but his brutal, horrific murder just brought home to me the fact that Kirkman has created a world where there is no reason whatever to have any hope at all. The only thing I found interesting was the fact that Neegan's men, when they killed Abraham, they shot him in the head. When Neegan killed Glenn, he bashed his head in. So Neegan and his guys are careful not to create more zombies so....yay I guess.....

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

You reminded me of one thing I forgot to mention. Neegan's commentary on each person was too meta for me in a work that has not been particularly self-referential in the past.

Carl as a future serial killer (or did he say sociopath?)? That's a common observation that fans make about him. How would Neegan even know to say something like that out of 5 minute meeting? Just because the kid wasn't crying? Same thing with what he said about Rick. Some of it could be based on the psychology of Rick's posturing and actions to that moment, but he really hit close to home. Even his comments about Michonne referenced her history with the Governor. That sequence took me out of the work.

I think Kirkman is a good storyteller. I've enjoyed most of the story so far, but it has been stale since they've been at the homestead (after the large zombie attack). I'm curious why you think Kirkman is not a good storyteller? I have heard others say that before too. The dialogue is not always that great, but the overarching stories and themes have kept me interested in this, and I am not a comic book reader.

ETA: Others have wondered whether Daryl will be part of Neegan's group. Abraham was killed by an arrow so maybe that was a shout out there. Also, I wonder if the actor who played Glenn was upset. Given how slowly they're going on the TV show, he has a while before he needs to get worried.

Edited by Crandle, Jul 12, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

starr4all

starr4all

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 5:44 AM

I'll admit it...I watch the show first and I'm now reading the comics (October will not get here fast enough!). I'm almost done with volume 1. I like both the tv series and what I've read so far of the comics. I'm kind of glad that they are not having the show do every thing that happens in the comics. It'll keep it interesting, however I see how some of the changes in the characters is disappointing.

Spikey

Spikey

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

ETA: Others have wondered whether Daryl will be part of Neegan's group. Abraham was killed by an arrow so maybe that was a shout out there. Also, I wonder if the actor who played Glenn was upset. Given how slowly they're going on the TV show, he has a while before he needs to get worried.

According to interviews with both Kirkman and Norman Reedus, there are legal issues with bringing Daryl into the comics, since AMC owns the rights to the character. Maybe they've been worked out.

SyncMaster

SyncMaster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

I finished reading The Walking Dead: Rise of The Governor two weeks ago. All in all, it was a pretty decent book but some of the writing annoyed the crap out of me. For instance, when Philip used a pickaxe to take down a walker this was the description of the action, "The business end of Philip's pickaxe lands squarely in the monster's head, cracking the coconutlike shell of the old man's skull, piercing the dense, fibrous membrane of the dura mater and sinking into the gelatinous parietal lobe." It seemed that either Kirkman or Bonansinga had read some medical journals before, or while, writing the novel and decided to fling around their newly learned terms to give the gory action an authenticity of some sort. And they use that detailed ridiculousness often.

Outside of that, I liked the history of the Blake brothers, their two friends, Bobby and Nick, and Penny trying to adjust to the then-new change in their lives, the conflict between the brothers and the detailed adventure of the group finding places to live and moving along when it was time to do so. The book stated that the outbreak began 72 hours before the first scene, I think.

I would like to see another novel or two about some of the other characters in The Walking Dead instead of a second novel based around The Governor just to get some different back stories.

I just found out that there is a six-page mini-history of Michonne's background that was published in the April, 2012, issue of Playboy. Has it been published in The Walking Dead serial? I'd like to read the whole thing without trying to scrounge up a back issue of Playboy with that story.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Can someone remind me of who it was that they did the "cut it off before it spreads" in the comics? Was it Dale? It was in the prison. I let someone borrow my first Compendium and they never gave it back so I can't look into it. i just remember them doing it and thought it may have worked. I'm just grasping at straws for Herschel's survival here.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I haven't read the comics, but I seem to remember reading here somewhere that it was Dale who had his leg cut off. The minute I saw Herschel get bit in the lower leg, I yelled at the TV, 'they're going to cut his leg off like they did Dale!' Man, I've got to read the comics.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I haven't read the comics, but I seem to remember reading here somewhere that it was Dale who had his leg cut off. The minute I saw Herschel get bit in the lower leg, I yelled at the TV, 'they're going to cut his leg off like they did Dale!' Man, I've got to read the comics.

See, I thought that, too, but then I remembered that Dale may have lost his legs from the Hunters? i may be misremembering.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

See, I thought that, too, but then I remembered that Dale may have lost his legs from the Hunters? i may be misremembering.

Oops, my bad. According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know) that is how Dale lost his leg (but he had been bitten before his infected leg got et).

Aysa

Aysa

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

If I remember correctly Dale did lose one of his legs in the prison and his other one was eaten by cannibals later and then he dies shorty afterwards. So yes, if they give Hershel exactly Dales storyline, he should survive the prison.

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Are we allowed to talk about speculation based on previews for the show and how it may relate to the comics? I'll spoiler bar the preview speculation just in case we can't.

I assume that the man talking with Andrea in the previews is the Governor. He seemed nicer and more manipulative (trick them with kindness) than I remember the Governor being in the comics.

How did Rick's group first meet the Governor in the comics? Were the immediately prisoners or did that happen on a subsequent meeting? It's so hard to remember storylines when I read them so long ago.

Is Tyrese going to be in the show? He was an instrumental part of clearing out the prison. I know they said T-Bone is not meant to be Tyrese, but perhaps he can take on some of Tyrese's badassness if they're not writing him in. They all got tougher over the winter so it's in line with the character development they've shown.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

One of my dissapointments when the killed Dale last season was that we wouldn't get the leg chopping story, so I'm glad Hershel got that treatment instead. Really curious to see how the prisoner characters are used on the show.
I'm hoping it different than in the comics, because I felt really bad for Hershell in the comic version.

How did Rick's group first meet the Governor in the comics? Were the immediately prisoners or did that happen on a subsequent meeting? It's so hard to remember storylines when I read them so long ago.

Rick/Glen/Michonne see a helicopter and go after it. When they get to the crashed helicopter the pilot/passangers are already gone and they track them back to Woodbury. The Governor is friendly for about 30 seconds, then it all goes to hell. The TV Governor does seem (just from the previews) to be a little less of an obvious psycho, but I'm hoping he still has the creepy 'daughter' ...because that was creepy.

Is Tyrese going to be in the show? He was an instrumental part of clearing out the prison. I know they said T-Bone is not meant to be Tyrese, but perhaps he can take on some of Tyrese's badassness if they're not writing him in. They all got tougher over the winter so it's in line with the character development they've shown.

I'm guessing that the Tyrese parts will be handled by a combination of T-Dog and Daryl. Maybe they'll set T-Dog up with Michonne eventually?

Edited: Its T-Dog (Theodore Douglas). I don't know where 'T-bone' came from.

Edited by Winston Smith, Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:25 AM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I'm guessing that the Tyrese parts will be handled by a combination of T-bone and Daryl. Maybe they'll set T-bone up with Michonne eventually?

I really hope Tyreese eventually shows up. Maybe by the time we meet him Julie and Chris have already bit it and he acts more like Morgan.

But Tyreese had twice the personality of Daryl and T-Dog (ahem, Theodore) combined. I miss him.

On a brighter note, Issue 103 comes out on Wednesday!

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I was really interested to see Beth possibly replacing Sophia's role in the comics. (Was Beth even a real character in the comics? I have 'em but can't even remember. There were a lot of people on Hershel's farm). I kept trying to figure out what is the show's age difference between 'em. I thought Carl was supposed to be 10 when the plague broke out, so maybe now he's 11? (the kid is actually 12). I thought Beth was 15-16, because of the boyfriend. But I'm wondering if they are going to establish Carl as 12 and her as 15 to get to that 'ship. Beth could be more interesting that Comics Sophia in a way.

melokirk

melokirk

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

While Dale did lose his leg later in the series, it was Allen that was bitten during the initial clear out of the prison. He was bitten by a lurker just as Herschel was on the show. He died anyway because of blood loss and infection. Dale was bitten in the prison parking lot while trying to siphon gas for the generator during Lori's labor. His amputation went much better than Allens. So who's fate will Herschel get?

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

My guess is he'll suffer Dale's fate.

It seems they're incorporating The Rise of the Governor into the show, rather than starting out with the Governor already being a sadist. If so, I wonder how they'll incorporate Andrea into his storyline. And if we're seeing the Governor starting out as Brian, I wonder if Michonne won't be raped and tortured at all, but Andrea will be. Andrea being tortured and Rick losing Lori works out if they plan on doing the Rick/Andrea romance later on.

Disclaimer: Obviously I don't want anyone to get tortured and raped and it probably won't happen, but The Governor might serve as Andrea's "losing Dale" event.

I promise this post wasn't sponsored by Lifetime.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

So I guess the show isn't going to introduce Tyreese? I heard speculation that Tyreese's character had been split between T-Dog and Daryl, and that's beginning to look more and more true (especially Daryl's character: he's become Rick's second in command, he's a great fighter, he has a flirty relationship with Carol). I wonder if one of those guys is going to end up hooking up with Michonne. If they do end up introducing Tyreese at this point, his character's trajectory is inevitably going to be different from the comics because it's already too late for a lot of the landmark Tyreese moments (clearing out the prison; learning that the dead reanimate when his daughter dies). I think the most interesting thing about Tyreese in the comics though was his close friendship with Rick, the way they challenged each other towards the end, and Tyreese's viability as an alternative leader to Rick.

One thing that's interesting with the time jump is the Andrea-Michonne relationship. I barely remember those two interacting in the comics (I always felt Michonne had a special bond with Rick, but was otherwise on her own, with the exception of the guys she became involved with). But at this point Andrea's been with Michonne far longer than she's been with the rest of the group. I wonder if that will change the dynamic.

captnamerca

captnamerca

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I like the differences in how The Governor looks in the show versus the comic. The Governor in the comic just looked like a comic book villain from the start, and there was no build-up at all. He was a bad guy from the moment he was introduced.

I also like how the show gives Kirkman a "do-over" on some things from the comics. Rick losing his hand springs to mind immediately. Since he wrote The Rise of the Governor, he must have had some ideas on The Governor's origins that he couldn't put in the comics because they were focused on Rick's group the whole time.

Must be fun to get a second chance at a storyline.

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I've actually thought there was no way the TV show could depict a main character losing his hand...and remaining a main character for the rest of the series. I don't know if Herschel will live and they'll have to figure out some way to depict his leg-lessness (or if he's going to die like Alan did in the comic). You can do a lot of tricks to hid a hand rather than a leg, but its so much work I doubt they'd want to do that for a series that might run another 3, 4, 5 years.

Another reason why i think a legless character wouldn't be long for the series. It takes a LONG time to heal from an amputation, and then, if it's a leg amputation, be able to walk on a peg-leg or whatever. Unless they were going to do a time-jump that would mean Herschel would be laying on his back for whole episodes. Granted they *could* do a time-jump once the prison is secured, (weeks go by, nothing has happened, oh look now here's the governor) out they haven't used that technique yet during a season.

Edited by catrina, Oct 21, 2012 @ 7:51 AM.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I'm curious to see what they do with the prisoners. So far, the only one who seems transplanted from the comics is Axel. Tomas seems to be loosely based on Dexter, although it was interesting how they subverted things: In the comics, Rick takes advantage of the chaos during a zombie attack to "accidentally" shoot Dexter, who he had pegged as bad news; on the TV show, this is reversed with Tomas "accidentally" swiping at Rick during a zombie attack, then outright throwing a zombie at him. Because Tomas was such an over-the-top villain, the scene doesn't quite have the same greyness that Rick's shooting of Dexter had for me (if I remember correctly, Dexter seemed to be coming around). But I think Rick closing the gate on the second prisoner did accomplish that.

This season is paced so much more quickly than last season - I wonder if they'll zip through the whole prison/Governor arc in a season. I hated them spending a whole season at the farm, but the prison/Woodbury is the one place where I wouldn't mind them spending a lot of time. I have a feeling they'll end up cutting some of the crazier subplots (serial killer, Carol sacrificing herself to a zombie, Governor's "daughter," etc.).

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

This season is paced so much more quickly than last season - I wonder if they'll zip through the whole prison/Governor arc in a season. I hated them spending a whole season at the farm, but the prison/Woodbury is the one place where I wouldn't mind them spending a lot of time. I have a feeling they'll end up cutting some of the crazier subplots (serial killer, Carol sacrificing herself to a zombie, Governor's "daughter," etc.).

More than likely they'll be at the prison the whole season. My guess is there will be a few episodes with Andrea and Michonne at Woodbury with the Governor, then they'll get away (running into Rick or Glenn or someone so they can find out about the prison, or else one of the Governor's peoeple will find it, bring the info back, they will hear it and escape). Then the mid season break this time will be a cliffhanger with the Governor's forces mounting an attack on the prison.

Edited by KirkB, Oct 24, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I'm very disappointed that Andrea and Michonne are the ones stuck in Woodbury. With all the parallels between Rick and the Governor, I think he should have been part of the group who first discovered Woodbury (and its secret).

Also, I'm not sure why the writers enjoy shitting all over Andrea so much. Seriously, she's one of the best characters in the books, IMO, but the show writers have handicapped her at every possibility, made her come off as an utter idiot multiple times, I don't get it. They better not have her shacking up with the Governor (which is completely different from the books, where the only interaction they have that I recall is him singling her out and telling everyone to kill her, because she's been doing a frighteningly good job at mowing down his troops). That would be fucking bullshit. I'm not sure why they have it in for her.

And in contrast, Carol, who's an utterly useless sad sap in the comics, gets loads of character progression in a net positive direction and gets it completely for free by virtue of a timeskip. Bullshit.

The gendered division of labor a la Lori in Woodbury is a bit odd, too. In the comics, it's a bit more equal, although there's only one named female Woodbury soldier. I hope Lilly Caul shows up to take a momentous shot when it comes time to end this arc.

Edited by Mars477, Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:55 AM.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Also, I'm not sure why the writers enjoy shitting all over Andrea so much.

Yeah, I was really hoping that season 3 Andrea would take advantage of the time jump and come back more like the comic version of the character. Instead, they have her flirt with the governor.

My biggest disappointment is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of strong bond/understanding between Andrea and Michonne. This was always a lost opportunity in the comics and I'd hoped they'd take advantage of that in season 3. They say that that they spent 7-8 months with only each other for survival, but Andrea doesn't seem to have any understanding of Michonne's personality or how to handle her. Maybe it will get better.

I wonder how they'll eventually have the Woodbury folks and the prison crew meet? I'd like to see them do something completely different than the comics now that they've already done the helicopter crashing thing.

Edited by Winston Smith, Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:44 AM.

Aysa

Aysa

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Some changes made me happier than others, but nothing has bothered me before... but I'm getting really annoyed with what they're doing to Andrea. I love her in the comics, but on the tv show I barely even like her anymore. I don't expect everyone to act 100% like their counterpart in the comics or really even have the exact same storyline, but this one character they really butchered in my eyes.
I really hope they manage to treat her better in the future, the season is still young. I want to like her so bad!

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I spent the whole pregnancy wondering if they would have Lori live in this version. I actually thought it was FAR more likely that Lori would live (she is a major character and I never thought the show would get as dark as the comic) and the baby would die. I could even have thought that perhaps they would show the birth, it be a still born, and then come to life as a zombie (something never seen in the comic and would have been wicked bad).

Lori and Judy's death in the comics still makes me sad to this day
Spoiler

Aysa

Aysa

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

I kind of expect the baby to either die in the show too or them giving her to someone else who would raise her in peace in a hut on a mountain or something like that. I can't imagine them toting around a baby for several seasons.

berenjena

berenjena

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I think the baby is another tragic story arc. It will die, whether from malnutrition or zombie attack. And it will be another failure to preserve life in the aftermath for the group.

TheOneTrueZeke

TheOneTrueZeke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Well, we have a couple very significant changes from the comic in this past episode. Lori dies much earlier and (this was pretty much a throwaway line but it's important) the prison armory has been picked clean. With Lori dead but the baby (and Carl) alive will Rick go as completely bonkers as he did in the comic? Without the massive addition of the guns and ammo from the prison armory to their arsenal how will they stand up at all to Woodbury if and when they come a knockin?