Comics vs Show: Compare and Contrast

• Please log in to reply

635 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

I've changed the thread title for clarity. - the Mod

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:35 AM.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Please venture into this thread at your own peril if you don't want to know what happens. Comics plots will be discussed without spoiler tags.

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

I, literally, just started reading the comic. So far everything happened just like on the show. I know there are differences coming up. For example, I know, in the comic that Shane doesn't survive. I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

Natgel

Natgel

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

so to me it looks like the show is taking a turn back to the comics plotlines. Except that Shane is alive. They need to rectify that.

oOOOH, I'm really looking forward to see if they'll add in Tyreese. Or Michonne. Oh my god I hope they include Michonne.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

Even though a lot of the major plot points are the same (Camp Dinner Bell, Carl being shot, etc.) I'm really enjoying the little mix ups that are happening here and there to keep us on our toes. I don't like Shane (or the love triangle), but I like keeping him around because he's unpredictable and slightly dangerous. I love the new additions of T-Dog, Merle and Daryl. I like that Andrea and Dale (who's relationship started off very well in the comics) are having some major bumps in the road. Lori is kind of annoying, but I like that she isn't such a bitch like she was in the comics.

I'm really excited to see which characters they decide to introduce (Michonne, please!) and which characters are left on the cutting room floor. I'm excited to see which plot points they decide to hit and which they decide to leave behind because they doesn't work for television.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

As long as they introduce Michonne, Axel and Abraham I'm good. I love those three so much.

The only complaint I have with the show is that TPTB are getting too attached to the actors, or I don't know what it is, but they really need to start killing people already. Keeping Shane around only adds fuel to the love triangle from hell and I freaking hate the love triangle. I don't know how these writers think that the same type of people who enjoy zombies would also enjoy this campy 90210 drama.

Natgel

Natgel

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

One thing they've changed for sure in the show is that not all dead persons wake up after being killed from non Zombie related issues. Unless every single person dead in those cars died from a brain wound? I definitley didn't see head shots in any of the bodies in the wrecked cars.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

One thing they've changed for sure in the show is that not all dead persons wake up after being killed from non Zombie related issues. Unless every single person dead in those cars died from a brain wound? I definitley didn't see head shots in any of the bodies in the wrecked cars.

Yes. This bothers me and I feel like it's going to change a lot of things. I wondered if maybe they had starved to death. Depending on how much they're goign to portray these zombies functioning, one is unlikely to be able to get out of a seatbelt and then out of the car.

Also, I'M sort of getting attached. It makes me sad to see some of these people and know what (might) happen to them. Although they really need to get Carl better so he can off Shane, who really has worn out his welcome with me.

I need to refer back to some of the comics to fill in some things for me. It's been almost 6 months since I read the first Compendium (in almost one sitting. Whoops).

I'm wondering if the jail will be our cliff-hanger this season and if they'll really start it up next season? Also, I'm trying to remember when we find Tyrees. Please tell me he will exist and T-Dogg isn't his replacement. They either need to give that guy some screen time or have him get eaten. I'm ready for Michonne. And to see who will be playing Michonne and the Governor. Also, I haven't read many spoilers/interviews/etc so I'm not sure if some of these things have been answered.

Natgel

Natgel

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

I wondered if maybe they had starved to death.

I don't know, they scavenged quite a bit of food from that wreck (you can clearly see it where they left the Winnebago when they went looking for Sophia). Can't say for sure what they died from, but not Zombie bites for sure, and no headshots either cause you can see clearly that's not the case (except for the guy in the tent, and they made a big show about it).

Although they really need to get Carl better so he can off Shane, who really has worn out his welcome with me.

Same, I despise Shane, for all his misogynist bullshit. He seems less of an idiot than he was in the comics, though. And I LOVED Carl in the comics, and it's funny, but I keep waiting for his dad to give him the damned hat.

I don't think they're going to teach any of the kids to shoot any time soon, too. Maybe AMC is afraid of backlash of showing kids shooting guns? Like somehow it's better than showing them get shot, or gnawed on, lol.

If they didn't give Carl a gun, what the hell was that scene with Carl walking toward that buck?? These things are flighty AND can be pretty dangerous when threatened. What did they think Carl will do with the thing when he reaches it? Pet it? Cleave it?? This is the zombie Apocalypse, they can't spare fresh meat.

I'm wondering if the jail will be our cliff-hanger this season and if they'll really start it up next season?

I don't know, I haven't see any of it in the previews, I wonder if they got the budget for it?

Also, I'm trying to remember when we find Tyrees. Please tell me he will exist and T-Dogg isn't his replacement.

It was when they were on the road, in the beginning, a bit before Carl was shot. In fact I think it was Tyrees in the woods with Rick and Carl when the latter was shot (Shane already being dead at this point). But his entrance wasn't that spectacular, so I guess they can introduce him whenever they want.

I haven't really made up my mind about T-Dogg yet (is that really what he's calling himself???) need more lines.

I try to steer clear of spoilers too. I'm wondering what they'll keep from the comics and what they will change. I'm hoping no long preachy speeches in the next eps, but it looks like the show thrives on that though.

Edited by Natgel, Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:30 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

If they didn't give Carl a gun, what the hell was that scene with Carl walking toward that buck?? These things are flighty AND can be pretty dangerous when threatened. What did they think Carl will do with the thing when he reaches it? Pet it? Cleave it?? This is the zombie Apocalypse, they can't spare fresh meat.

Hah, my first thought when, Shane was going to kill the buck, was WTF dude? it's not dangerous!. Then I stopped, thought about it, and yeah ZA, kill to eat or starve to death.

My initial thought, again being all, ooh look a deer. Was, that Carl was going to pet the deer b/c that's pretty much what I would have tried to do in his position :D

Edited by morrigan2575, Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:26 PM.

top six

top six

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

This is a huge change: it was a pretty big twist in the comics when they learned that everyone comes back. It also means we're probably not going to see what is probably my favorite sequence in the comics: Rick driving back, digging up Shane's body, and shooting him.

I had actually assumed that this is what the guy in the CDC whispered to Rick at the end of last season (i.e., that everyone is infected and comes back). (Of course, that would also mean we would be deprived of the "dig up Shane" scene, since Rick would already know to shoot him the head after he died if he knew that everyone was infected.) Now I'm sort of at a loss now as to what was whispered (if they are going to follow at least the broad outline of the plot in the comics). I guess it could be that the blood work he did showed that Lori is pregnant, but then I'm not sure why he would be talking about that to Morgan.

Ginna

Ginna

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

You know, I was wondering about that. I *really* like the idea of everyone coming back - it increases the hopelessness of it all. So I've decided that the Georgia heat and rolled up car windows melted the zombie brains. No brains, no zombies.

I had actually assumed that this is what the guy in the CDC whispered to Rick at the end of last season (i.e., that everyone is infected and comes back).

Me too. I'm still holding out hope.

Also holding out hope that Shane leaves/dies/becomes zombie chow. I really don't like him. I celebrated when I read about his death in the comics. And in this latest episode when Shane, Rick and Carl were all wandering around in the woods by themselves, I really thought we might get Carl killing Shane. Until Carl went up to pet the deer and I realized that we were skipping to the Carl gets shot/Hershel farm plot point.

But I'm holding out hope. I suppose we don't need Tyrone's daughter + boyfriend for the "non-bit dead people come back" plot point if that's what Jenner whispered to Rick. So maybe T-dog's name is actually Tyrone and he will go all badass.

Also, am I the only one hoping that Laurie really is pregnant so that we can have the Laurie+Judith get shot plot point?

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

Shuffling onto our tv screens and eat--.....um stealing our hearts, Robert Kirkman's zombie graphic The Walking Dead set out to show us what the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse might be like. In 2003 he published the first TWD comic, and right off the bat he set a grim tone. In his introduction (to the collection volume 1, Days Gone Bye), he lays out his manifesto proclaiming his desire not to frankly scare the reader but rather to cause the reader to face the idea of humankind cut off from all we think of as civilization. His goal is to "explore how people deal with extreme situations and how these events CHANGE them." (emphasis in original text)

The comic starts slightly differently than the pilot episode and there are minor changes throughout but Rick still gets shot, still ends up in a coma in the hospital, still wakes up and wanders around the corridors of an obviously messed up small town hospital. In the comic he actually goes into the cafeteria and sees it's full of reanimated people but he can't really process what he's seeing.

Basically, the pilot episode and the first few issues of the comic are the same plot-wise; the tv show is bigger in every way though. Where the comic is black and white style, tv is obviously color. The comic is action packed yet still static in that everything the reader needs to know is conveyed in a few panels sometimes just drawings, other times the drawings have lots of text, either way, all you need to know is right there before your eyes.

Kirkman keeps the story moving, it's fairly tight at first and things make sense story-wise. Rick is determined to find his family and of course he does but it takes him and everyone else quite a while to really toughen up and fully accept reality as it is. In the comic, Rick's son Carl is only 6 years old when the zombies come. Amy and Andrea are also much younger, Amy possibly still in or just out of high school, Andrea possibly still in college. At first, everyone camps out in a field.

You know, with the more narrow focus of the comic, camping in that field made more sense. Makes no sense at all on the tv show. I keep coming up against that with the tv show. Things that you can so easily accept in the graphic form of the comic just become ludicrous when seen on tv (and the movies). There is too much space in the medium for the viewer not to question how the military could seriously be decimated by such slow moving creatures. Or question what's keeping all the nuclear power plants from melting down after the first month or two. Or who in their right mind would continue driving around an ancient RV that breaks down every five minutes when you have your pick of anything until the gasoline runs out.

No, in the comic you don't really have those kinds of questions or at least I don't and I attribute it to the narrow focus of a graphic novel. Instead of questions like that though, there are certain things in the story, ideas that seem to be introduced right at the beginning of the story and seem to get stronger throughout the narrative that might be interesting later on. Like the fact that everyone already has the reanimation disorder so everyone turns after death, whether bitten by a zombie or not.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

Also, am I the only one hoping that Laurie really is pregnant so that we can have the Laurie+Judith get shot plot point?

Oh not at all. That chaos is such a huge scene. But I fear AMC will never go for that. While it's gotten pretty gory, I find it hard to believe they'll have a scene with someone shooting and killing a baby. I bet the furthest they'd go is her being pregnant. I just really hope they don't skip it all together, because that's likely to mean that Lori will survive longer. And I can't handle that.

One thing I'm reminded of when I think of Lori's death is the telephone scenes. I think that could be super emotional to actually see played out. I actually gasped when I got to that part of the comics.

Really, for me, one thing is that I can't imagine them doing a lot of this on tv. Shooting the baby? The gang rape? Things that feel like necessary plot points but are so disturbing they might just get skipped entirely. One thing I hope they don't skip is Carol's suicide-by-zombie. The things I feel like I need to see make me feel like i'm really messed up. haha

Edit to add: I thought to myself for the first time that Andrea was supposed to be.. what, 26 in the comic? I assumed they casted her a little older to make the Dale/Andrea romance more realistic for the viewers.

Edited by LetsGoPens, Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:32 PM.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:40 PM

Really, for me, one thing is that I can't imagine them doing a lot of this on tv. Shooting the baby? The gang rape?

Scooping out the Governor's eye with a poop smeared spoon?

I thought to myself for the first time that Andrea was supposed to be.. what, 26 in the comic? I assumed they casted her a little older to make the Dale/Andrea romance more realistic for the viewers.

The Dale/Andrea romance in the comics was one of my favourite things, to be quite honest. I thought it worked so well. I want to see it on the show as well, but I'm not sure if they can pull it off as effectively as they did in the comics. I'd rather the show runners play is as a close-knit father/daughter relationship and get it right, rather than pairing them up and getting it wrong.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

One thing they've changed for sure in the show is that not all dead persons wake up after being killed from non Zombie related issues.

I don't think they've necessarily changed that. While it looked like there were people who died of natural causes in those cars, it's not necessarily true that they died of natural causes. I think if anything, it was an oversee by the director/writers/props department, etc. Seems like they didn't think it through when they created that set. I can't imagine them getting rid of that plot. It's like one of the main important plots of the comics, and I'm 99% sure that's what Jenner whispered to Rick.

If they make Lori survive longer like they have with Shane I'll be so pissed. Even reading the comics from the start, I wanted her to die so badly and when she finally did I was so glad. The amazing thing about the comics is they actually made me feel sad for a second when she did, cause of the baby, but it's so much better without her. I can see them killing Judith, though maybe not as gruesome as the comics, but I can see them killing her. The raping of Michonne, however, was so absolutely horrible I can't imagine them showing that. To be honest, the entire Governor plot was such an awful read. I wanted it to be over so badly. When he kissed that little zombie girl I nearly threw up. Disgusting.

I was never a huge Dale/Andrea fan but I never disliked them, either. To me they were just there. I don't know if it's something they can make work on the show. Not because of the age thing, but literally every person I know who hasn't read the comics is 100% convinced that Dale and Andrea have a father/daughter relationship. The writing isn't helping, either, what with her telling him she's not his little girl. We'll see. I'll be cool with it if they do it and cool with it if they don't. But if Andrea doesn't get with Dale, I hope she doesn't get with anyone else.

(Though reading the last few issues I keep wondering what they're doing with Rick/Andrea. Ever since they got to Alexandria they've been joined at the hip. The last issue, especially, really strengthened their relationship. We've never seen Rick opening up like that with anyone, have we?)

Carol trying to become best friends with a zombie was such a WTF moment in the comics, I hope they keep it on the show. It actually made me laugh. But comic Carol was so batshit, and TV show Carol seems really sane, so who knows.

I've also been wondering why they made Sophia 12 instead of, what, 6/7? That little girl is going to start going through puberty soon and I can't see her getting attached to Maggie and Glenn as easily because of her age. We'll see.

Honestly, I'm not really complaining much yet (except for Shane being alive and things moving a little slow). I'm just so excited to see these people come to life. I waited so long, and the actors playing my favorite characters are doing a marvelous job, so I'm pretty much a happy camper (for now).

bossu

bossu

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

(Though reading the last few issues I keep wondering what they're doing with Rick/Andrea. Ever since they got to Alexandria they've been joined at the hip. The last issue, especially, really strengthened their relationship. We've never seen Rick opening up like that with anyone, have we?)

I'm wondering and DREADING the same thing; a Rick Grimes hook-up is a literal 'kiss of death' in this series. Andrea is one of only two reasons why I haven't dropped the comics. So, I hope that Robert Kirkman isn't hinting at what I think he's hinting at.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 12:40 AM

I KNOW!</Monica Geller> Not to mention a few issues ago Carl wanted Andrea to live with them. Carl is the angel of death, too. So it's like double the threat. I couldn't handle Andrea dying. I don't think anything romantic will happen, though. I think they're only strengthening the Rick/Andrea bond so they can shatter it when Carl reveals that he shot Ben. I'm guessing he's going to tell Andrea himself and then we'll see Andrea trying to decide whether she wants to be around these people or not

Is Gina Torres in another show? She'd be such an amazing Michonne. I know most people are rooting for Tracie Thoms, but I think she's too young and cute. Gina Torres would be just completely amazing in that role (she's already got the guns to prove it!)

I also really hope they write Axel into the show. I loved that guy SO MUCH and I was so sad when he didn't make it. He was hilarious ("if you follow").

Edited by Lillywhite, Oct 19, 2011 @ 12:45 AM.

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 1:14 PM

I total second the idea of Gina Torres as Michonne. That girl is one scary bad-ass!

ETA: HOLY CRAP... just got to the part where Lori and Judith get killed. What a terrible page!! The art work was stunning and horrifying at the same time. The Governor deserved what Lilly gave him for that... in addition to all of the other shit he's done.

Also... NO!!! TYREESE!!!!!!

Edited by Katydid73, Oct 20, 2011 @ 10:57 AM.

Natgel

Natgel

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

Is Gina Torres in another show? She'd be such an amazing Michonne.

YES. That is officially my headcanon until actual show canon tells me otherwise, lol.

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

HOLY CRAP... just got to the part where Lori and Judith get killed. What a terrible page!! The art work was stunning and horrifying at the same time.

Hear! Hear! That page shocked me so hard I had to stop reading the series for a while. One thing the TWD comics excel in is sudden, shocking, out of the blue death / terrible injury!

So I'm thinking about something in the comics that I *hope* Kirkman expands on eventually. OK Rick got shot very early on, lets assume he got shot and went into a coma on day one of the zombipocolypse. He was in a coma a LONG ass time, long enough he was dehydrated but he walked out of that hospital. Dale got bitten and his foot chopped off, massive blood loss and shock and no real physician to help nor any antibiotics. Rick got his hand chopped off plus he took quite a beating. Slightly better medical care but still, blood loss, shock, etc. Andrea got shot in the head (I know it "grazed" her but still) no treatment to speak of. Michonne endured, for who knows how long, torture which she survived with NO treatment at all. The Govenor survived EVEN WORSE torture. All of them survived!

So here's my thinking. In the comics, we already know everyone already has the zombie cooties and will reanimate no matter how they finally "die". I wonder though.....does the zombie cootie confer a sort of immortality? What I mean is if a person is slightly injured, no problem and even rather seriously injured they seem to shrug it off so lets say a person manages to never be grievously injured, never takes a bullet to the heart or deep in the brain, never loses all their blood, never drowns, whatever, they manage to maintain body integrity, would they be immortal? So like we're all zombies anyway but some cross over some threshold and lose 99% of their personality and obey ONE thought, "bite/feed/spread the cooties". Does that make sense? If it does then wouldn't we eventually see some people that were definitely in between states? Very elderly people might be transitioning so slowly it might be hard to tell when they would be thought of as "human" and when "zombie"........would that even matter though if the zombie had no teeth with which to bite?

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

I understand what you're saying and it would definitely be an interesting avenue to explore. Allen also got his foot chopped off after an ankle bite, but he died. So, this could be the one indicator we've received that your theory is false, or it could be that the poison from the bite made it past the point where Rick cut off the foot, causing him to die anyway. I think maybe Kirkman just wasn't ready for those other people to die yet. YET!

Speaking of having no teeth to bite with, the Governor's daughter totally made me throw up in my mouth a lot.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:33 AM

Is Gina Torres in another show?

Yes she's on Suits, but it's a USA network show. They run on a different schedule, it's usually a summer show. I wonder if they offered her the role if she could do both. I know Colby Bell is on Burn Notice but also on The Game.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Brought over from last night's discussion thread:

Well, Kirkman did address it somewhat in the Talking Dead. Fresher zombies=more speed.

I actually liked this in the comics. When they would come across a zombie that clearly hadn't fed in a while and it could barely move to go after them. I liked the evolution of that and it always gave me hope that eventually, if you hide long enough, all of the Walkers will starve.

However, it's gone further than I thought on the show. The Zs last night were moving a little fast for my liking. Apparently that's a common gripe with me because I was told I "always say that" when yelling "TOO FAST!!" out loud at the television last night.

Also, I'm ready to like Dale like I do in the books. Love the actor, haven't loved what they've given him so far. I'm ready.

zeke68

zeke68

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 11:09 AM

Is Gina Torres in another show? She'd be such an amazing Michonne.

YES. That is officially my headcanon until actual show canon tells me otherwise, lol.

She's been my Michonne since I first read the comic.

The Magus

The Magus

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

Also, I'm ready to like Dale like I do in the books. Love the actor, haven't loved what they've given him so far. I'm ready.

I agree. I also feel the same about Andrea and Glenn. Maybe because they're long-timers? But if I think back, I can't remember if I was as in love with these characters at a similar point in the comics. My appreciation for them all grew with following them through their ordeals, and maybe my impatience is just because the series hasn't caught up yet.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

I feel the same way. Andrea was barely there in the beginning and Dale always seemed old and useless to me. Glenn couldn't fight and was always off with Maggie. In the beginning it was all about Rick and his family drama and I remember even Donna and Allen got more screen time than Andrea and Dale. I never felt like I was supposed to love them or even like them, but they really grew on me and now I can't imagine the comics without them.

It occurred to me last night that they can just keep Daryl and not introduce Abraham at all. I can't imagine both characters existing in the same universe. Overkill. Plus, I don't want Daryl to die. I want Rick, Andrea, Daryl and Glenn to make it to the end.

LetsGoPens

LetsGoPens

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:27 PM

Yeah, Daryl and Abraham are kind of the same person. Maybe that's why I like Abraham a lot. I can't imagine this without him, but I feel like I need to see him.

Also, now that this is getting started, I can't imagine losing some of the people. Seeing them acted out by real people makes me sad to think we'll lose them eventually. Shane and Lori and Carol can go at any time, but I hate the thought of losing Hershel and Dale. And Otis, who I didn't even remember because I'd read the beginning so long ago, but something about the actor that plays him makes me want to keep him forever. I just want to hug everyone, apparently ;)

The Magus

The Magus

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Is anyone else worried about Sophia (of all people??). I really like her in the comics, in part because I'm not a big Carl fan (and sometimes neither is she) and in part because of her role in Glenn and Maggie's family. I don't think they'll kill her off this soon (on imdb she's got 17 episodes), but they seriously could, and it'd solve the "kids grow up too fast for filming schedules" problem.

I agree that Daryl is an excellent addition to the cast.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

Welp, issue 90 just happened.

I don't have a problem with the last few panels (can we discuss the comics here? I'll be vague just in case), as we all saw it coming a while back, but this better not end in disaster for anyone. I love both characters too much and if either dies I don't think I could continue reading. I also wonder how this will translate into the show.

Thread carefully, Kirkman.