8-3: "Charity Case" 2011.10.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

From Zap2it:

When a man (Wentworth Miller) collapses after making a generous donation, House and Dr. Chi Park try to identify his medical disorder; Thirteen's pursuit of happiness is hampered by feelings of guilt.

LolaLilaLilly

LolaLilaLilly

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Actually sort-of decent, I think the show is mostly back on track. I still really like Michelle Cera and new girl seems like she'll be interesting. I'm going to miss Thirteen but only because OW brings the extreme pretty. The new status-quo between House and Dean Foreman is actually enjoyable.

Wentworth Miller was good, but I would've expected House to get his infusion of cash if only for the show's "status quo" to get more re-established.

It really does feel like the show is "back" to it's -I'm going with- season Four and back days.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

I'm sure we'll see Thirteen again in guest spurts when Olivia Wilde's between movies. Though I found myself surprisingly getting choked up watching her leave, sad but finally happy in life, and realized that I really want as happy an ending as possible for her. I have absolutely no idea when or why that happened, but seeing her character happy actually made me feel happy. I'd be glad for this to be the last we see of her - but again, I doubt it. TPTB seem addicted to her.

crimpinmystyle

crimpinmystyle

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

Not as bad as I was expecting, given it looked like it might be the 13 show. She's gone. I won't miss her. The focus stayed mostly on the patient.

I was thrilled with the return of a scene with a clinic patient, and it was just as amusing as it used to be. Felt a little like the old days.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

I like that House seems genuinely fond of Dr. Park enough to help her get her car fixed. I like her too. The new girl though kind of grates. Was she the doctor from the prison in the premiere? I only saw the promo for that.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

My suspension of disbelief needs to suspend disbelief. PPTH allows House back, and also allows "volunteer" doctors and walk-ins by doctors who are no longer (I assume) on staff? Park was a bit easier to understand this episode, so I liked her more. But I liked Adams less. Other than that it was like a run of the mill mid-season episode from S4 or 5. Didn't we already do this being-too-nice-is-a-symptom?

tacitus

tacitus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

Was she the doctor from the prison in the premiere? I only saw the promo for that.

Yes.

Edited by tacitus, Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:08 PM.

khoff

khoff

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:37 PM

I don't think House had Park's car fixed. I think Park conspired with him to get Adams to pay for getting House's car fixed, thinking it was Park's. Remember, he asked Park if she needed a ride, since her car was still in the shop.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

I like Olivia Wilde, but I won't miss Thirteen at all. I've never really invested in her character, and in a way, pairing her up with the new docs helped me understand why.

There's a fundamental difference between the process that went into creating Cameron, Chase and Foreman versus the process that went into creating Thirteen, Taub and Kutner. Cameron, Chase and Foreman were designed to help us get inside House. They each represented a different way of dealing with him. Their back stories could be summed up in a phrase: martyr/widow; get-along-go-along; chip-on-shoulder.

By contrast Thirteen, Taub and Kutner were part of an elimination contest. They were designed let House get inside them. They have much more fleshed out personal back stories, and the show explores their personal lives in way that -- with the exception of Kutner's suicide -- don't have an direct tie to House's psyche at all. Basically none of Thirteen nor Taub's side stories ever had any relevance to anything else. They still provided opportunies for the show to pay with psychology and human nature, but it came from a place external to House's own experience.

Dr. Park and Dr. Adams get back to the original model: characters designed to get us inside House. Neither are what you would call normal, and each embodies aspects of House's own characteristics.

Dr. Park captures the anti-social side of House. She cares about solving the case, she cares absolutely squat about the patients, and her cynicism with regards to the remainder of the human race borders on grim. She's fiercely self-reliant, and looks at any attempts to get close to her with suspicion. She recognizes House's mind games but is not interested in them, viewing them as irrelevancies. Her arrogance is a shield.

For a while, the episode seemed to be making Dr. Adams out to be Cameron 2.0, even though her prison scenes would have seemed to discount that. But then she's revealed to be the other side of House, the more self-destructive side of House that loves the mind games and seems to look at the whole rest of the world as if it were inside a petri-dish. Unlike Dr. Park, she's not really outcome-oriented. She didn't throw away her career to save the inmate's life; she did it because she couldn't leave things no knowing if House's theory was right or wrong. Just about everything comes in secondary to her curiosity.

Like the original team, their back stories can be summed up in a phrase: overachiever with parent issues; bored trust fund baby. Their back stories aren't important. They're engaging characters because their conception allows them to reflect aspects of House in new and interesting ways.

I can't wait to see how Taub and Chase react to the two newbies that have come into the picture more like House in different ways than they ever were.

Maca254

Maca254

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I have to disagree here. Thirteen in effect is House. They share a remarkable number of similarities. House possess a chronic condition, Thirteen's is terminal. Both have erected arguably self-harming defensive barriers to cope with their conditions, House through extreme misanthropy and Thirteen through lies and secrecy. Both display immense cynicism, but occasionally let slip that they are enormously romantic idealists at heart. And because of this, they can understand each other extremely well. House and Thirteen is perhaps my second favorite House/duckling relationship in the show, coming in juuust short of House and Chase.

And it shows. Their "date" in "The Choice". All of "The Dig"*. All those moments in "Changes". Hell, with what other character has House actually offered to share his food? And part of it is because House actually realises Thirteen has it even worse than House does. After all, she's beautiful, brilliant, and from a fairly stable upbringing, but God still decided to take an enormous dump on her life. House figures that if she can be happy, with all that is wrong with her, so can he (and this is something he tries to effect in "Changes", before he goes off the deep end).

I'm going to miss Thirteen. She's arguably the most enjoyable (and best written) recurring female character on House to date. (Although when your only competition there is annoying, judgmental, hypocritical Cameron and her moral code, you don't exactly have much competition.) And her relationship with House was incredibly enjoyable due to the fact that it was a) completely platonic, as opposed to Cameron or *shudder* Cuddy, b) on a fairly equal footing, in that the mental boxing match that is House's interactions with anybody, she manages to land more punches than most, and c) hadn't resulted in her fading into the background, ie Chase. Poor Chase. Late Season 5 was all Foreman (NOT Thirteen, since she served pretty much as a plot device during the drug trial arc), his Season 6 arc with Dibala ended with him divorced from a woman who never really loved him and drifting from bar girl to bar girl, and... what exactly did he do in Season 7?

Okay. And the flames are coming... now.

Of the New Girls, I've felt largely underwhelmed. Park has potential but right now is just a one trick pony. Adams is just... boring. It's almost as if they're trying to recreate House and Thirteen's familiar friendship, only without the, you know, shared life experiences. And her hair is distractingly shiny and made up. Adams probably spends a fortune in posh hair product each month. God knows she can afford it.

*Speaking of "The Dig", Best. Cold open. Ever. Period. From an artistic standpoint at least. Sure, OW's hair was far too well styled for being right out of prison, but daaamn, that was pretty. And almost made me forget about the utter shit that was Huddy. Jesus, whoever thought that was a good idea?

Edited by Maca254, Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:53 AM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

Deleted

Edited by QueenofCups, Oct 18, 2011 @ 3:02 AM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

Accidental double post deleted.

Edited by QueenofCups, Oct 18, 2011 @ 3:01 AM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:54 AM

I've never cared about Thirteen the way that I care about Wilson, so this episode didn't pack the emotional punch for me that last episode did. I have always found Thirteen boring and nothing in this episode changed that. Good bye and good riddance to a poorly conceived character played by someone absolutely unable to bring her to life. So long, Robot Girl. Yawn.

Dr. Adams seems to have had an intelligence upgrade since she appeared in the premiere, but the actress who plays her doesn't have any spark. She's very bland indeed. So far, IMO, she's panning out as about as interesting to watch as Thirteen, and that isn't good. Seeing them together, it seemed clear that the writers were replacing one young, long haired leggy brunette with another. Interchangeable Emmas.

I liked Dr. Park and her refusal to be beholden to little miss rich doctor. She's shaping up to be an interesting addition to the team and I like her comic touch. Seeing her makes me a little more resigned to the eventual return of loathesome lothario Taub, since I'm wondering whether Christine Yi and Peter Jacobsen might be a good comic pairing - the way that he and Kal Penn were.

I would also have liked to see a bit more emotional distance between House and Wilson. I think it would be more interesting for me if Wilson were still wary of House - if he wanted to be able to forgive him whole-heartedly and unreservedly but couldn't. Forgiving someone who has wronged you isn't easy, and there would be more dramatic interest if Wilson had to struggle a bit to get past his fear, anger and disapproval. It just seems to me to be resolved much too easily when there could be a bigger dramatic payoff.

For me, House/Wilson is the emotional centre of the show, and the writers refusal to explore the changing dynamics of their relationship for more than one episode is kind of frustrating. After three years of Huddy, I don't think it's unreasonable to demand more than fifteen minutes to devote to House's friendship with Wilson.

On a totally superficial note, House seemed to have very prominent nicotine yellow circles under his eyes. I'm wondering whether they were making him look haggard to show how much prison has aged him, whether they have bad makeup artists, or whether the colour on my screen was just off.

Edited because of my continuing problem with homonyms.

Edited by QueenofCups, Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:58 AM.

clem2

clem2

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 6:41 AM

I liked this episode. It was an interesting case (way better than a pair of lungs last week) and I like Dr. Park. Now Dr. Adams... can't act. I thought she was awful.

I liked Thirteen in this episode, and we have House here doing something nice for someone... has he changed? Maybe a little bit. I also liked that Foreman suspected he gave the guy with Plummer's disease something so the kidney removal operation wouldn't happen. And House admitted to his crew that this was true. That was cute.

So way better than last week IMO.

Oh, it was House's car that was being fixed? I missed that entirely.
Thought it was Dr. Park's.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

I enjoyed the episode for the dialog and the playing off of Park and Adams, but I found the whole idea that Adams and Thirteen would be allowed to act as doctors in the hospital just too unbelievable. Thirteen "left medicine" but was allowed to just walk in and start ordering tests, etc.? Adams isn't currently employed and is given the same privileges? In the real world Foreman would be out on his ass for exposing the hospital to liability for that.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 7:54 AM

I was never a big Thirteen fan, but I liked OW's acting in The Dig and in this episode. I must admit that the end got to me, because she and House have shared a lot, and I think she understands him better than almost anyone else who's worked for him. She sincerely told him that he was there when she needed a friend, and he was again a friend to her at the end by letting her go off with her girlfriend to get some enjoyment out of her life. I think that's the last we'll see of her, and that's fine, but I also think House will miss her, so letting her go was a rare moment of self-sacrifice on his part.

Dr. Park is interesting to me -- a very different sort of character than we've seen before. She has trouble accepting charity, which I can understand, given her upbringing, so her interaction with a trust fund baby like Adams underscored the whole theme of the episode (about a very wealthy man giving away everything, and whether that's healthy or normal). I thought it was cute that House scammed Adams into paying to repair his car (when she thought it was part of her testing of Park), but I find it hard to believe that his old clunker was reparable for under $5,000 after crashing into Cuddy's house. And wouldn't the cops have just hauled it away when House left, leaving it to rust further in an impound area for a year? But I guess after not working all that time, he probably can't afford a new car, and now he'll get a repaired one back for free. He hasn't lost his moxie, that's for sure.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

My thing with Thirteen is I didn't like her unless she was interacting with House. Their relationship is was what kept her interesting. As another poster said they are very similar and they recognize that. They treat each other with more respect than they do anyone else (not professionaly but personally). The fact that House let her go so she could be happy was huge for him. He gave her what she needed not what she wanted. I don't think he's really ever done for anyone.

As for the new doctors, I like Park, she definitely not Masters. She's not social but she's not awkward about it she doesn't care if other people like her. She may say something about House breaking the rules but she'll go along with it if it solves the case. The other new girl is boring, it's either her personality or the actress I can't tell which yet.

zevonfan

zevonfan

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

House and Park conspired to get Park's car fixed.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 8:54 AM

House and Park conspired to get Park's car fixed.

No, I don't think so. At the end Park came to House's office and told him their plan had worked and Adams had paid to fix House's car. Park didn't want Adams paying to fix her car, which is why House offered her a ride.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

The only thing that surprised me is that driving a car through someone's dining room only racks up $4,500 in damages. Someone backed into me earlier this year and just cracked my front bumper, and it was around $1,800 at the body shop.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

The idea of niceness being a symptom has been done before, but this was slightly different. I liked how Wilson was ethically implicated as well. (Would the guy even have been eligible as a donor, having been hospitalized so recently?)

Was never a big Thirteen fan, but my opinion of her (and OW's acting) had improved in the last year or so. I thought she had a nice sendoff. I like Dr. Park reasonably well, but not an Adams fan so far--just another in a long line of similar types on this show.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

I don't have a problem with the Dr. Parl character. Now all they have to do is find an actress for the role. This girl just cannot act.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 11:17 AM

I came to this episode to say goodbye to the show but I think I'll hang around a little longer. I like Park but I fear like Masters they'll completely ruin a feasible character arc. We haven't been treated to many female-to-female relationships between House's ducklings. So their little polite feud had me interested. It's good to see that both of them are willing to plot against each other, if they keep this from getting personally vindictive then I'm along for the ride. House will off course take advantage, he will only side with himself and switch between the two depending on circumnstances that suit him best. Should be fun.

I like OW but I'm one of the few viewers who preferred Cameron to Thirteen mainly because I didn't hate what others seemed to hate about Cameron. Now what I am not looking foward to see is how the newbies and Taub/Chase get along - including a Chase/Adams hookup that I can see miles away - the problem is we will be stuck with those guys' back-stories, which are kind of stale at this point. Good episode, with a vibe similar to early House, so I'm in for now.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:58 PM

Is it just me or were Taub and Chase no longer in the opening credits? Does that mean they are off the show?

AriAU

AriAU

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

Good episode, with a vibe similar to early House, so I'm in for now.

I agree-I loved the vibe. Much lighter feel than the last few seasons and he seemed to take everything much less seriously. I enjoy Taub and Chase as characters, but I am not sure I really want them back since they will bring up a lot of old baggage in their relationship with House and will not let him run quite as roughshod over them. They know what to expect right off the bat and it was more fun watching these newbies experience him for the first time.

I think having Foreman in the Cuddy role is great-he knows what House's skills will allow him to do and knows what his lack of ...... morals, protocol, concern for the law etc.. will lead to and I loved how he knew that House gave the patient something to screw up the surgery.

So, I'm confused-whose car got fixed with the $4,000? I thought it was Park's car since we knew it was in the shop and that House had showed Park how to get the upper hand, but others seem to feel it was House's car. I guess I'll need to rewatch tonite.

chaosakita

chaosakita

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

I also love this season's vibe. I think I've enjoyed it a lot more than the previous four seasons. Park is a great character that I can really relate to and while Adams doesn't have the greatest actress, I think I generally like her too.

I won't be missing Thirteen though. While I didn't think that her acting skills were as bad as some fans thought they were, I didn't think that she really contributed much to the show either. I think this was the only episode where I really felt for her.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:36 PM

Is it just me or were Taub and Chase no longer in the opening credits? Does that mean they are off the show?

I think they're reintroducing the names to the credits as they reintroduce the characters -- e.g. Epps and Leonard weren't listed in the prison episode credits, just in the second episode when their characters returned. I'm sure in the episodes where Taub and Chase come back, Spencer and Jacobson will be back in the credits.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

I think 13 is gone from the show until we get a ten minute scene in a future episode of House attending her funeral and I think that's for the best. While I never liked the character I think this was a good exit for her better than Kutner or Amber got. I am surprised though that 13/Chase never happened. It felt like that's where they were headed.

Edited by sordidheart88, Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:46 PM.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

I am surprised though that 13/Chase never happened. It felt like that's where they were headed.

Even if that was where they were headed (and I felt that, too), all plans may have had to be abandoned in the face of OW's movie career.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

Is it just me or does RSL's face look a bit thinner? It suits him. Not that I ever had a problem with his cute face! Nice to see HL's hair that way, too. I can get behind Parks but I'm having a bit of trouble warming up to Adams. She played a game on Parks, but the other characters have played games on each other too, in the past, so nothing too unique there. Maybe it would help if she didn't look like she just came fresh from a photo shoot.
I kinda wish I had had the chance to witness Thirteen's reaction, as a woman, to House's crime. All I can imagine is her telling him, "You're an idiot." (But it is known she didn't greet him with a martini.)