6-3: "Smokey and the Bandit" 2011.10.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

90 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

Zap2it:

A serial killer from Dexter's past returns and Debra is uncomfortable in her new job.

SharonDee

SharonDee

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

Well, that was a bit of a snooze-fest. Smokey and the Bandit? Really? What a stretch of an episode title.

I did like how Deb put the interviewee in his place.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

It was tres creepy at the end. Those horses? Jeesch, that was some whacky shit.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

I have to admit I was kinda in and out of paying attention throughout the episode. At first I thought the horses (and the weirdly sewn together riders) were part of a dream or part of the previews. That was some weird stuff.

Bored with the tooth fairy - and with Dexter putting an attempted pulled tooth together with decades old shenanigans 2,000 miles away. I kept wishing he really just was an old guy and that Dexter was just wasting time. Where did the bullet go when the gun went off?

Oh, I hope hope hope that Dex goes back to Sam to fix his car again. I love their relationship.

Elemmennope

Elemmennope

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Ugh. LaGuerta - get lost. WTF is she's doing hanging around micromanaging and implying she needs to do Deb's work for her? So annoying.

Otherwise... this season definitely is not grabbing me like last season. I miss Lumen.

Prose

Prose

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Ugh. LaGuerta - get lost. WTF is she's doing hanging around micromanaging and implying she needs to do Deb's work for her? So annoying.

And arrogant as hell. Does she really think she got away with blackmailing her boss? It seems like she's being set up for a crash and burn this season. Fingers crossed!

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

While it wasn't as interesting as last weeks ep, I liked it.

Quinn was a total ass this week. What a brat sitting there in the morning meeting smirking at Deb when LaGuerta went along with his idea of releasing the snake info to the press. He's a dick for that and his hateful behavior has me worried for Deb if they do get back together. I liked them as a couple but his actions are very telling as to what kind of person he is. Possessive and mean-spirited. If he truly loves Deb he wouldn't want to mess up her chances at solving a big case. Not to mention the fact that the only way he can find to deal with his heartbreak is to screw a different chick every night. Of course, a lot of people deal with it that way, so...

Maybe he'll do something redemptive next ep :)

LaGuerta got on my nervs following Deb around like it was her first day at pre-school. Why does she hate her so much? I thought they'd become kinda close or, at least, friendly way back when. But, then, LaGuerta is all about control. Liked Angel's lil' call to Deb telling her to not let Maria get her claws into her. He's got Deb's back.

I know the guy that played the Tooth Fairy. Something Howard. Can't remember his first name. I thought it was brave of him to show his fat saggy old body on TV for all to see. LOL That's real loyalty to the craft :)

Totally random: The Tooth Fairy was the name of the killer in the Thomas Harris' book 'Red Dragon'...which introduced the world to the character of Hannibal Lector. It was made into a film back in the 80s called 'Man Hunter'. It came out long before 'Silence of the Lambs'. While i love SotL, I think Man Hunter was a better film.

Travis and the good Doctor are still rather dull. I felt very sad for their victim. i hate seeing people suffer like that. I can handle a TV show about a serial killer but seeing innocent people suffer over a period of time is not fun or intriguing TV for me. It was made even worst by the fact that the vic was actually a Good Samaritan who had stopped to help Travis.

Still don't think the doc is a ghost.

Dex loosing his shit when he dropped his slides was weird. He was totally disoriented there for a second. His slides all out of order. Well, he did dump them into the bay back in, what, s2? I remember him doing that but can't remember why he did it. Anyway, it's not like he can't just start over again. I know it's more than that but he had to start over once. He can do it again.

Love the way the new guy reacted to Deb. Love even more the way she handled him.

So, black bald guy--makes me think of Doakes. They wouldn't make him Doakes 2.0 would they? Just because he slightly resembles him?

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

Travis and the good Doctor are still rather dull.

I'm still trying to decide if he is really there or in his mind. He put his hand on Travis' shoulder. Does Harry ever touch Dex? I can't recall.

While it wasn't as interesting as last weeks ep, I liked it.

I was just the opposite, I thought this one was better than ep 2.

Edited by valny, Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:46 PM.

Mercurys

Mercurys

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

I was riveted this episode and couldn't predict most of it. I thought Dex was wasting his time with Ronny Cox (and boy, was that so much more of him than I ever wanted to see, and I can't unsee it). Loved the way Deb handled the new guy, and loved the look of respect he gave her. How does the lab tech think no one will connect her to the theft of the hand after she made the creepiest deal about it? Unless she doesn't care, which is probably creepier. And Dex's reaction to the scattering of the slides was powerful. I'd always wondered how he'd know which was which.

Edited by Mercurys, Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:00 PM.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

I forgot all about the biggest thing in the ep: when Masuka brought out the evidence box with the ITK stuff in it. Saw Rudy/Brian's name badge (it was nice to see Camargo's mug again) and the prosthetic hand with the multi-colored nail polish. Wow! I can't believe Masuka would do that. If Deb had known or found out she would have had a major melt down. And, bigger still, the intern steals the hand. Why? Is she gonna sell it on Ebay? LOL What is her deal? Why bring up Brian after all of this time? This defintely got my attention and was the best moment of the ep and I totally forgot about it in my first post.

Edited by ttfr1, Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:02 PM.

Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

Looks like they are going to try to get the assistant to figure out the ITK / Dexter connection..that can be the only reason they've introduced that subplot...

scootman

scootman

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

Quinn was a total ass this week.

Yes. But with good reason, IMO. I like Deb better than Quinn overall, but she treated like crap last week by not giving him a heads up she was about to become his Lt. Sure turn down his marriage proposal if you want, but show some decency to a guy you've been with for a year and tell him about the promotion. I thought it was pretty dishonest of her.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

I'm firmly in Camp Deb. Quinn didn't give her any opportunity to talk to him about the promotion, and it had nothing to do with the break-up anyway, that was his call because she didn't want to marry him. He's showing his true colors and they are not attractive. I'm really glad she turned him down, and now it isn't just because she would've been doing it for the wrong reasons.

Loved Angel boosting Deb (and really helping) just when she needed it! He is made of awesome.

A lot of the more major plot points kinda confused me. I may have still been distracted by the premiere of The Walking Dead. But, y'know, I'll enjoy reviewing it, so that's okay!

I don't see a resemblance between Mos Def and Erik King, myself, but I have often been known to miss these things.

Wapa

Wapa

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:23 AM

but she treated like crap last week by not giving him a heads up she was about to become his Lt

She tried to but Quinn threw a tantrum like a 5 year old and stomped out of his apartment before she could give him the news. How is that being dishonest?

Sabine Lavine

Sabine Lavine

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:33 AM

I forgot all about the biggest thing in the ep: when Masuka brought out the evidence box with the ITK stuff in it. Saw Rudy/Brian's name badge (it was nice to see Camargo's mug again) and the prosthetic hand with the multi-colored nail polish. Wow! I can't believe Masuka would do that. If Deb had known or found out she would have had a major melt down. And, bigger still, the intern steals the hand. Why? Is she gonna sell it on Ebay? LOL What is her deal? Why bring up Brian after all of this time? This defintely got my attention and was the best moment of the ep and I totally forgot about it in my first post.

I think the new forensic chick is somehow connected to the Ice Truck Killer, not quite sure how, but her interest in the evidence and her gung ho attitude with Masuka seem pretty fake.

AmSel

AmSel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

As someone said above, I hope the assistant is trying to make a connection between ITK and Dexter. Now that would be something.

LaGuerta might be an annoying character, but she is just beautiful. That actress keeps looking better with age.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:15 AM

She tried to but Quinn threw a tantrum like a 5 year old and stomped out of his apartment before she could give him the news.

The guy just got dumped right after he tried to propose marriage. I don't blame him for storming out. He's the kind of guy who doesn't give himself very easily. He took a huge risk and she yanked the rug out from under him.

What he needs to do now is just take the high road and transfer out. Will he do that? Nah! We wouldn't have drama then.

I liked this episode. I always enjoy flashes of Dexter's past and we don't get those very often since they quit doing the flashbacks. Captain Jellico would've been a wicked so'n bitch back in his day.

The major villains still aren't doing it for me. Dexter just isn't the kind of show that is a good vehicle for the exploration of religion. I do like the new guy and hope the main arc picks up soon.

Teshi

Teshi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 2:03 AM

What the shit. How would you release horses on a heavily populated street in Miami without being noticed, let alone horses with corpses on them?

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:15 AM

This episode made me very sad for Dexter. I always enjoy it when the show delves into his past, and it hasn't done that for quite a while. The fact that Dexter used to make collages about serial killers as a youngster was the kind of cool, twisted touch that this show does so well. I thought MCH turned in a particularly good performance here, particularly during the last scene.

The fact that Dexter has a chance of ending up just like Walter Kenny makes me think that death at the end of this series is sadly probably the best option for him. He doesn't want to end up sad, angry and alone, and he doesn't ever want Harrison to find out about who he really is. He's totally caught between a rock and hard place. This episode had a very fatalistic tone IMO.

A big UGH to Quinn. I do understand why he was upset, but really. Any fondness I had for him and Deb together withered out completely. He was such an ass. Deb was right on the money when she said that she couldn't have anything serious with him. That Mike Anderson though - there's a catch! By far the most attractive guest star this show has ever had. Whew. He seems cool and professional, if a little arrogant, and I liked how quickly he apologised when Deb took him down a notch. In just under two minutes he displayed more maturity than Quinn did the entire episode. I'm already shipping them!

Oh, and LaGuerta can GTFO too.

Angel continues to be a total and utter sweetheart. I love how he supports Deb.

Edited by purplebubbles, Oct 17, 2011 @ 3:17 AM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 4:17 AM

He's showing his true colors and they are not attractive.

He's always been an ass, but been good to Deb. He seemed to care about her a lot and I agree that he isn't the type to just fall for a woman. He means it.

I felt sad for Dex with the collage of killers, too, and then Harry chiding him for it. While Dex might have already been damaged, he certainly could have helped steer him in a different direction instead of training him to do his own dirty work.

The fact that Dexter has a chance of ending up just like Walter Kenny makes me think that death at the end of this series is sadly probably the best option for him. He doesn't want to end up sad, angry and alone, and he doesn't ever want Harrison to find out about who he really is. He's totally caught between a rock and hard place. This episode had a very fatalistic tone IMO.

And faking getting a girlie magazine so he can look at his box of slides.

LaGuerta should know by now not to tell Deb what to do straight out because Deb will do the EXACT opposite. She has all the subtlety of a pig (that's an insult to pigs).

Edited by isiscloud, Oct 17, 2011 @ 4:17 AM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

I'm a little confused by Dexter's reaction to dropping the slides. i realize they're one of the few things (probably the only objects) in his life to which he has emotional attachment, but I'd have expected him to be less freaked because it was my impression we'd just seen him working up to getting rid of them.

He got rid of the tooth collection so that Kenny's kid would never have to know; I thought surely he was just having one last look at the slides before disposing of them so that Harrison would never know about him either.

He can't keep souvenirs anymore, not if he wants to protect Harrison. If something were to happen to Dex, not unlikely considering his avocation (or it could just be something ordinary like a car accident), having them at all means they might be found. In which case, some would surely match DNA in the criminal database, then... well, they can't ever be found, which means he can't keep them.

I find myself tuning out during Hanks/Olmos scenes. I'm not sure their arc was thought through very well. Nothing wrong with the actors, it isn't their fault. It's just, well, religious fanaticism turning to evil has kind of been done to death, and this isn't exactly a fresh, new take on it. I'm not sure how it would even be possible to have a fresh, new take on it, but if it is possible, this isn't it.

What the shit. How would you release horses on a heavily populated street in Miami without being noticed, let alone horses with corpses on them?

I know! But it was an astonishing visual!

And I think I like New Guy, too. His faux pas on meeting Deb was exactly the kind of thing Deb herself might do.

Edited by HelenBack, Oct 17, 2011 @ 7:16 AM.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

I could barely pay attention during this episode, it was just so dull and uninteresting to me. I am kind of curious to see how Maskuka's assistant turns out though. The Colin Hanks character is just boring to me. I don't care about him or his motives at all.

I used to really like Dexter but this season just isn't connecting with me at all. It's just become too repetitive for me.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:03 AM

I think the new forensic chick is somehow connected to the Ice Truck Killer, not quite sure how, but her interest in the evidence and her gung ho attitude with Masuka seem pretty fake.

Masuka should totally know better than to treat ITK stuff so casually--of all crimes. I agree there's a connection of some sort. And the student is playing Masuka perfectly—he'll be so in her thrall that he'll (probably) be powerless to stand up to her or turn her in, etc. Of course, he's been known to surprise us.

I see both sides of the Deb-Quinn problem. Quinn shouldn't have sprung the proposal on her out of the blue—does anyone get a surprise proposal anymore?—and she handled it as Deb typically would, with good intentions but bluntly and without sensitivity. No matter who the guy is, he doesn't want to hear "I can't fucking marry you," or whatever she said. Doesn't surprise me that he's acting out. It's a shame, though—I do like his character and I think they have good chemistry. Great eye candy together.

I liked the Tooth Fairy storyline. Is it just me, or is Dex's killing persona particularly intense this season? The scene with the slides is great.

So much of the Miami Metro drama is irritating—any storyline involving LaGuerta is a joke, IMO—but delving into Dex's psyche and his relationship with Harrison makes excellent TV for me.

Edited by lovinbob, Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:07 AM.

erinmichigan

erinmichigan

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

It’s getting better and better! The scenes for upcoming shows had me saying “wow wow wow!” and I’m now really anticipating what’s to come.

Laguerta is such a bitch! I love Angel and how much he cares for Deb.

The way Quinn was talking to Masuka’s intern at work? Come on, who does that? Not sure how I feel about her. Her obsession with the ITK has got to lead to something juicy, I hope.

The horse/mannequin scene at the end. Holy Mother of Fuck – that is some creepy stuff!

I felt badly for Dexter when his slides came crashing down. How does he keep track of which blood slide belongs to whom? How can he possibly remember the order of his killings? I mean he's one smart dude, but he's been doing this a long time. I wonder if the old pervert Tooth Fairy remembered which tooth belonged to which victim?

"I Goggled your name..." hahahaaaa. Dexter's face was pretty funny at that moment.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

How does he keep track of which blood slide belongs to whom? How can he possibly remember the order of his killings?

I don't know, but from scenes earlier in the series, I do think remembering the order is how he knew which was whose. I guess he has a really great memory. But I'm still confused by why it was such a big deal when it seemed to me so strongly implied that he was about to jettison them in some fashion anyway.

"Goggle" was brilliant!

The way Quinn was talking to Masuka’s intern at work? Come on, who does that?

Assy asses who feel entitled to be asses. Loved how she shut him down so efficiently. I don't trust her and I don't think I much like her (hard to tell yet), but she had a great moment there!

DarkPass21

DarkPass21

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:02 AM

I loved the reference to the ITK. This show usually erases most of its own history so I loved it when they made a reference to first season. I missed multi-colored nail polish.

Quinn is such a douche. He's obviously so hurt by Deb that he feels the need to deliberately flirt with the intern or show off some new random girl on his arm. I have a feeling that he and Deb will reconcile before the season is over but now I'm kind of wishing they wouldn't anymore. Which is a shame because I liked Quinn when he was with Deb.

LMAO @ Quinn's sex scene. He looked bored as hell.

The intern is pretty cool but now she's creeping me out. I loved the way she rejected Quinn's advances and her interactions with Masuka. They seem very compatible. However, her fascination with serial killers has got me thinking that she's crazy.

Laguerta needs to shut up. I have nothing against Lauren Valez. I think she's wonderful. But the writers seem dedicated to making her the most unlikable character on the show.

Angel was great. I love how supportive he is of Debra and I continue to admire is classiness despite being a subordinate to an experienced Lt.

I have a feeling Deb will grow into her role just as she did as a detective and will do well. With her being in a new position, the writers have set the reset button in terms of her job confidence. In season one when Deb was a vice cop wanting to be transferred to homicide, she was deeply insecure and lacking confidence. Now as Lt. she's reverted back to it. However, I love how she put that new detective in his place. It shows what she's capable of doing.

Det. Mike Anderson. Holy crap he's hot. His voice alone is like velvet. More of him please.

I loved how Dexter saw a glimpse of what he might become with the Tooth Fairy. It makes him question what he might do when he's an old man and what his legacy may be.

Overall, I'd give this episode 8/10

hincandenza

hincandenza

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

Maybe this is more suited to Speculation without Spoilers, but this episode further cements the "Geller is Travis' Harry" theory in my mind. For example, when the jogger was in the cell and Travis was talking to him, at one point Geller is in the doorway and the jogger never seems to acknowledge him as a second person, or plead, or do anything.

Also, a theory I have after last night is that the Travis/Geller thread will actually be wrapped up mid-season, and an equal plotline this season is the intern Ryan's extreme fascination with ITK. It can't be a coincidence that they invented this whole "scrapbooking Dexter" backstory in this episode (it's never been mentioned before, right), and his killing of a guy who apparently inspired him to be a collector in his dark journey... and then we cut over to this pretty young thing who's also training to be a forensics geek and who is extremely interested in the ITK's "scrapbook" in the form of evidence.

That is anvilicious to me that we'd get those in the same episode- it implies strongly that she's a young Dexter, or a Dexter waiting to happen. It's also interesting that she became the intern when the other guy was puking/passing out at the snakes... but Dexter was gleefully fascinated. Also fascinated: Ryan the intern, who got visibly excited by the snakes in the formaldehyde. That further suggests she's cut from the same cloth. I think she's never killed before, but is fascinated by it.

Going against this theory is that she's not even on Dexter's radar yet, and I'd be surprised if they did Lumen Part II with someone so soon. Also, while Brea Grant is a very pretty young actress, and I liked her in Heroes... I'd be surprised that a show that has had Jimmy Smits, John Lithgow, Julia Stiles, and now Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos as their principal guest stars would make Brea Grant be the real key of the season. Then again, that certainly would be a way to sneak her up on us. I just hope they don't drop the ball with her, with all these little clues and then she just turns out to be a morbid but innocent little lab geek.

Some thoughts specifically on last night's episode:

1) When Dexter was planning to kill Kenney... wouldn't he hold off once Kenney called him? Granted when he suffocated Kenney it didn't matter, but had he originally "disappeared" the guy as planned, wouldn't even the most basic detective work uncover that the day he was last seen, Kenney had a couple of calls to one Dexter Morgan, who had also been seen loitering around Coral Cove by receptionists and waitresses? The show is getting sloppier and sloppier about Dexter's kills, such as the football player or the EMTs.

2) Why on earth wouldn't Dexter tag each slide with a little note, or at least a code, to help him remember? Some slides even have writing space on them for this purpose.

3) It irked me, but when the jogger was trying to escape- granted he was probably weak and exhausted- how on earth did he fall because a horse startled him? Was the horse hiding behind a pew?! They aren't small animals, he should have seen it soon enough to not be startled by it. Also, was Colin Hanks just waiting for the guy to fall down- he was right there to grab him on the floor, but had the guy not fallen he'd have been out the front door in about 5 seconds.

Also, again he was probably dehydrated/hungry, but wouldn't he grab something to use as a weapon as he was making his escape? I know he was just supposed to be the corpse-in-waiting for the horse tableau, but they spent a lot of time humanizing him, which... not really comfortable with the scenes of an innocent like that, compared to Walter Kenney cussing on a barcalounger.

FaithW

FaithW

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:17 AM

Usually lurk, but felt I should post, even though I don't have much to add! :)

I agree with above posters who believe ITK was brought up for a reason. He could have just showed her the evidence room, and have her slip something in her bag to give the same effect, but since itwas the ITK case. I realize that was areally high profile case, but the show has delved into so many others. Just as Dexter had a journal, does this intern have one too? Are we supposed to draw the parallel that she may be similiar, OR that she just has a curiousity for it.... I hope the latter is true, I hope she really digs Masuka. I think it'll be heardbreaking for Masuka to realize that she was just using him. :S

I'm unfortunately still not onto the names of Colin Hank's character, or his mentor... but with the final scene things appear to be speeding up. I'd like to know why Hanks' character so blindly follows this guy, hurting innocents. How did he prove how sinful they were?

Show totally had me thinking Dexter had the wrong guy. I'm like, the guy is just a creep, and a jerk! Also, we've seen so many covers for this ... and this guy was just...a jerk, a creep... AND a serial killer. I liked Dexter losing control of the sides... he fears that loss so greatly. If he loses with what he does, he loses it all. Anyone thinking that Harrison is the one to finally bring Dexter light? I wonder how else Dexter will lose control. :S

Hassenfeffer

Hassenfeffer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

The second Dexter got out of his suv to run those errands I had a feeling Walter was gonna sneak a peek at the registration. Guess Dex overlooked that detail. When you're surveilling a potential kill you may want to remove any real proof of who you are from anywhere there's access. Nitpick I know but it just bugged. I expect mah Dexter to be more careful.

I was actually relieved when Dex just decided to smother Walter. I often wonder if he gets sick of cleaning up the kill room. Its gotta be messy as hell when he's done especially after he hacks them all up.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

I have the memory of a gnat. Could someone pls remind me what the deal is with the fake hand in the ITK's evidence box?