2-1: "What Lies Ahead" 2011.10.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

419 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

Zap2it:

Rick leads the group out of Atlanta; the group is stopped by a threat unlike anything anyone has seen before; the search for someone who has gone missing.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

I was just thinking it would be pretty funny if that buck turned around and gored him, so the shot was a fairly big surprise. Nice sign from 'ol JC..

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

I liked that. The stuff in the traffic jam was really tense, the search for Sophia was compelling, and the ending shocked the hell out of me. I also really liked the Andrea/Dale confrontation, Lori defending Rick to the group (I really liked her in this episode!), and everything Daryl did (Much as I loved him last season, I didn't find him hot, but this year? Wow.).

Didn't love the opening monologue, though. They didn't manage to make it work as both a narration and as Rick actually talking to Morgan.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

I was really looking forward to this episode, but it was a meh experience for me. I wish they hadn't gone the whole "cute kids in peril" route. And to draw it out over multiple episodes? The Shane brooding thing is going to get old too- I hope they resolve it instead of dragging it out over the season. It seems like the narrative was mostly stalled- no real character development. Hope it's not a trend for the rest of the season. I'll still be watching.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

I was just thinking it would be pretty funny if that buck turned around and gored him, so the shot was a fairly big surprise. Nice sign from 'ol JC..

I was thinking, wouldn't it be funny if that Buck turned into a Zombie Buck and just charged towards the kid.

Plus, Daryl continues to be more awesome with each episode. Speak softly and carry that motherfucking crossbow.

McCafe

McCafe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

When a child (walker, but still a child) was the first casualty on this show I kinda figured the children aren't safe, but to have two taken down in one night was a bit disturbing.

Otherwise, the highway scene was exciting and suspenseful, but the search for Sophia went on and on, and didn't really pull me in.

I like the character interaction, but two scenes of prayer and speeches was a bit much.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

It's been a while since I've seen this show and this week seemed like the amped the gore up to 11. I have to say as they kept showing that kid getting closer and closer to the buck, I had a feeling he was going to get it. In my mind there was a walker coming out of the woods that bites him just before he gets to the buck. Of course this probably means that Sophia is found. My suspicion is she is kidnapped.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

I have never found Norman Reedus to be particularly attractive - until now. He was definitely smoldering throughout this episode.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

It's been a while since I've seen this show and this week seemed like the amped the gore up to 11.

I live with 5 men and with all them watching, it was like being with Paulie from the Soprano's:

Ohhhhh!

Ohhhhh!

And on HD at that.

dirtyhippiegirl

dirtyhippiegirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

I like the character interaction, but two scenes of prayer and speeches was a bit much.

Yeah. The opening kind of lost me. It's been done better in other movies. Glad to see Lori standing up for herself.

Church Jesus was more of a Catholic Jesus than a Baptist Jesus in my experience.

reneejocelyn

reneejocelyn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

Oh wow - I missed this show. Hard.

That last 5 minutes made me gasp so loud my husband came up to see what happened.

I was squirming during the zombie dissection. EWWWWW. Didn't think it could be worse than "Guts" but, yep. They made it worse.

I still hate Shane. I hate Shane a lot. Die Shane.

Andrew Lincoln is so gosh darn yummy though...

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

Man I love this show. Killer suspense throughout, even the deer in the forest part. I too thought the buck was going to charge the kid and gore him.

Were the zombies seeming a little faster, a little 'smarter'? And right when I'd decided that they were the preferable kind (being slow and stupid).

If I were there, I'd just always be wearing a fresh zombie skin every day, and maybe a Scream mask.

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

They sure wasted a lot of valuable searching time in the damn church.

I will NOT miss the boy. I think he died of a wounded ego.

Rick, that's what you get for talking to a sculpture. But wow, is mama-san gonna freak out at base camp!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

Plus, Daryl continues to be more awesome with each episode. Speak softly and carry that motherfucking crossbow.

Yeah, he had his redneck-fu ramped up to eleven. His only nod to racism this ep was the 'SS' on his chopper.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

Nice to have Rick and crew back. I really cannot stand Lori. Robbing a graveyard? Really? No it's survival time Lori. Figure out.

On second thought, don't because then you'll finally become a walker. Not that we would tell the difference....

sorry, I don't like the actress or the character.

The end was a shocker. I did wonder if the deer would become ZombieDeer.

Were the zombies seeming a little faster, a little 'smarter'? And right when I'd decided that they were the preferable kind (being slow and stupid).

I noticed this when the zombie was stalking Andrea. Smarter, sleeker...disturbing.

jr13

jr13

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

Why do they insist on keeping that piece of shit Winnebago? Do they secretly enjoy it breaking down on them every time they use it? Add that to the fact that it is slow, gets lousy gas mileage, and isn't very maneuverable, it's nothing more then a shitty plot device. Plenty of other vehicles available, and the notzombies won't mind if you take one. Christ, that annoys me.

But, aside from that, I thought it was pretty good. The highway scene rocked, and the gutting scene was beautifully disgusting. More of that please.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

I noticed the same thing, and actually thought of your post about that (and referencing the heartbreaking Dead Set).

This was good, for me, I didn't mind the Hansel-and-Gretelness of it all. But I'd really, really like to know where all the walkers were going. They seemed very purposeful about it, as if there were some sort of hive mind at work.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

The scenes with the zombie herd (did we decide the term was "a shamble"?) kept me on the edge of my seat, but Dale is wearing on my last nerve. Gawd help me but if I were in that situation I don't think I'd have spent all that time looking for Sophia. Lastly, I knew something bad was going to happen to the little boy with the deer, but getting shot wasn't what I expected.

FriedRetinas

FriedRetinas

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

OMG!, the commercials in the last hour of the show. I swear in was every 5 minutes!

Edited by FriedRetinas, Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:59 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

Why do they insist on keeping that piece of shit Winnebago? Do they secretly enjoy it breaking down on them every time they use it? Add that to the fact that it is slow, gets lousy gas mileage, and isn't very maneuverable, it's nothing more then a shitty plot device.

Ditto for Daryl's loud chopper. Not so good if one encounters a herd.

So it wasn't just me who noticed the zombies seemed different?

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

Yes, let's all leisurely wander around the "abandoned" traffic jam until the zombies start coming. Idiots!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

OMG!, the commercials in the last hour of the show. I swear in was every 5 minutes!

And most of them were zombie-themed!

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I'm glad the writing seems to be a little better, maybe the changes helped. At least, everyone didn't seem quite so too dumb to live. I think we need a larger goal to unify that episodes, though. Just having everyone in survival mode will get tedious.

For me, Rick and Lori look too much alike. They look like they could be siblings.

I was expecting the deer to get shot, but I wasn't expecting the kid to get it at the same time.

I really cannot stand Lori. Robbing a graveyard? Really? No it's survival time Lori. Figure out.

That was just ridiculous. I really can't imagine anyone feeling that way in that circumstance.

StillTheTooth

StillTheTooth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I liked it. I liked it a lot--and I'm pumped for season 2.

That said, let me hasten to join the budding Daryl worship for this (and perhaps future episodes). The man is one sweet bada**. The way he covered T-Dog and himself with rotting highway corpses just in time to camouflage them when the Highway Herd staggered by--brilliant. Perhaps the others should take a page from his book and routinely ask themselves: what would Daryl Do (WWDD)?--right?

I have just one tiny nitpick...tiny...and I hope it remains so for the rest of the season. It's the men (namely Dale and Shane) and their attitude about guns and who should carry and/or wield them. Arguing that any member of their party should not carry a gun to defend themselves just because they lack a little training doesn't wash with me. That is not excuse to deprive any of the others a fighting chance to defend themselves in a sudden event like the Highway Herd Crossing. So they don't have any training? Train them, pronto, and shut the bleep up about irresponsible shooting and what not--most people know enough about guns to get by in a pinch...point and shoot, you know.

I worried about Sophia, and if I were Carol (is that her name?) I don't think I would have been so calm to just sit tight overnight and hope and pray that my child would be alright in the morning. I'd get a weapon, some supplies, and head out myself to try and rescue my child. Hell if I'd wait like that...

Jporr0121

Jporr0121

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Was it just me, or did it seem like the deer got shot too? Maybe a hunter didn't notice that there was a little boy behind his prey. And pow.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

It's been a while since I've seen this show and this week seemed like the amped the gore up to 11.

Word on that! The maggots on the corpse in the tent, the church mass-slaying, Rick braining the two woods-Walkers--all a bit much, maybe in lieu of actual plot development?

I really cannot stand Lori.

Double word! And I'm not even sure why-she just rubs me the wrong way. I'm on the fence about Shane, but I am quickly tiring of his hangdog act. And I used to feel some affinity for the woman who lost her sister (forgot her name), but since she turned suicidal, she's much less interesting. I know I'm complaining a lot, but I really like this show. I was just hoping for a lot more from this episode.

MacMom

MacMom

Loyal Viewer

If Dale is gonna sit up on his Winnebego and keep watch, he needs to spot the herd before it's about 30 feet away.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Arguing that any member of their party should not carry a gun to defend themselves just because they lack a little training doesn't wash with me.

That's not why he didn't want Andrea to have a gun. He was afraid she'd off herself.

MacMom

MacMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Andrea was working pretty hard in that winnebego trying to stay alive and put her gun together at the same time: I'd be annoyed I couldn't have my own gun back after that.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Double word! And I'm not even sure why-she just rubs me the wrong way. I'm on the fence about Shane, but I am quickly tiring of his hangdog act. And I used to feel some affinity for the woman who lost her sister (forgot her name), but since she turned suicidal, she's much less interesting. I know I'm complaining a lot, but I really like this show. I was just hoping for a lot more from this episode.

My hatred for Lori is not only because of her cheating on Rick and being an annoying bitch. But, what this episode showcased: In one scene she was jumping down Shane's throat for telling Carl no and then she tries to be sensitive towards Shane in the next scene. Like bitch, stop being bi-polar and yanking Shane around.

Does not help that she is also useless.

I will also say that this show continues the Horror logic that kids are useless. Basically, the best survival tip is to never have children around cause they will fuck shit up; and not in a good/badass way.