Green Lantern: The Animated Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

153 replies to this topic

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

I agree with these points. The characterisation is so grating, so clichéd and dull. Hal is too annoying for me, I can't root for him. I'll keep watching though because it's Bruce Timm, but it's very disappointing so far.

I feel much the same way.

Hal Jordan-The ubermensch who can do anything. Even though the drill sargent taught him everything he knows he's the better fighter and more skilled at using the ring. Ok Hal Jordan, best at everything, and the male version of Mary Sue.

Razor-Obviously he's on the path of falling in love with Aiya and will redeem himself.

Aiya-The robot who learns to love, and also the one who fills in whenever we need exposition.

Kilowog-The bigmouth who always gets shown up. Always. He just got his arse kicked by a mook this episode. A big mook, but a mook all the same. He never succeeds at anything he does except beating up the lowliest of robots.

These episodes lately are still better than what were being shown earlier. Like you redred, I'm sticking by it because of Bruce Timm.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

I don't see Hal as a teflon hero. He's good, but he can be full of himself.

Not a good day for the heroes. They get to the save point (erm . . . "lighthouse") and blow it up, seemingly caving in the asteroid field and crushing the Reds. But then they make the mistake of checking Atrotcitus' flagship, only to find it abandoned. And set to explode. Two minutes later, they're taking heavy fire from the Interceptor, because Atrotcitus has taken control of it. And Aya. He merrily flies off to burn dickish blue men to a crisp, along with Zilus Zox and that one bitch that was stranded on Mogo, and Hal, Kilowog and Razer are stranded . . . the only thing keeping them from dying before next week being Kilowog's power battery, which he carried off the ship. Oh, and Atrotcitus thought of dropping planet-killing missles ahad of time, while the tunnel was open, meaning that the entirety of the Red Lantern Corps will be flooding into Guardian Space really soon. Two brighter notes:

1. Saint Walker gets the abridged version of his origin story from the "Lanterns" three-issue mini from a few years back, scaling a mountain and getting an encounter with a floating blue lantern and ring.

2. Zilus Zox pisses off Atrotcitus to the point where he's batted like the mutant ball that he is. Twice.

Edited by Lantern7, May 19, 2012 @ 3:00 PM.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I have zero familiarity with the source material and I'm watching this with my 6 year old son, so I can't speak with any fan-based knowledge, but he and I are loving the show. I love how they've tied together so many threads from earlier in the season and made the Red Lanterns into a serious threat. I have to explain some things to my son every now and then, but the plots are enough that he's picking up on what's going on very well. All in all, we both are really enjoying it and eager to see where the storyline goes next.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Heh.

So . . . apparently, the Star Sapphires can't just send somebody as far as to Earth . . . at least without major consequences. A major plot hole winds up getting filled, and I feel a little embarrassed that I brought it up a few weeks ago. But now I have two questions:

1. How can Razer be sling-shot to Oa, when the only thing resembling love is the fact that Aya more or less looks like the love of his life?

2. Where the hell was everybody in Coast City? When we jump-cut abruptly to there, I thought Hal was hallucinating. It looks to be the middle of the day . . . was there a major fire drill, and Carol stayed behind?!?

Anyway, the threads start coming together. Saint Walker makes his debut as Blue Lantern, and Kilowog doesn't even mutter, "Great. Another color. Why the heck not?!?" Walker also brings in Mogo and introduces the marauding Reds to the Blue Lantern Ring's major feature: empowering the living hell out of a Green Lantern's power. It's in the comics . . . in fact, over in Green Lantern: New Guardians this week, Walker leads his Blue Lantern brethren into battle and displays his l33t hope skillz. Here, it's displayed by taking a massive power blast in the back from Mogo, and augmenting it to fuck up the Red Lanterns. In other news, Hal puts the beatin' on Atroticus through sheer willpower, the chief Red Lantern gets sent to a Sciencell, and the Guardians -- in a highly non-canon move -- elect to help rebuild Sector 666 (or whatever it's called), following the orders of the new head RL, Zillus Zox . . . whose best talent is to get smacked by Atroticus in amusing ways.

Edited by Lantern7, May 26, 2012 @ 12:47 PM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

Still enjoying this show immensely. I love how pretty much everything from the earlier episodes is coming back to play a part in the final showdown instead of just having been window dressing for fans.

Usually I don't like the rogue/conman characters because they often involve writing that makes the main characters look stupid for the sake of the guest character to look smart but god damn it Byth Rok was incredibly enjoyable to watch. He reminded me of an amoral version of Wesley from Princess Bride. I hope he didn't get killed by the Reds.

Still loving Razer and Aya. Poor Aya, she gets discriminated against so often because she is an AI.

I really think this show has gotten a lot better since it started. It's a great adventure show and I hope it will be getting another season.

Edited by Tableau, May 26, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Well that season ended fast, I seriously thought we were going to see Orange and Indigo Lantern too, but I guess not. Well hopefully not yet, I really enjoy this series too and hope that it has a 2nd season.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I'm guessing this GL isn't gay, unlike the comics.
hmm, maybe omnisexual, if violet lanterns and AI robots count...

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

That's Alan Scott who is the original Golden Age Green Lantern that was replaced by Hal Jordan back in the early 60s and has only been a relatively minor supporting character in the whole Green Lantern Corp universal police organization mythos that sprung up since then (though he's been a major player in the JSA comics over the past 20 years or so).

Since Hal's primary role is to serve as a surrogate penis for Geoff Johns, I highly doubt that they'd ever even hint that he might be gay.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Brief article on the next season of GLTAS. It includes a picture of Sector 2814's new GL: Guy Gardner! Thankfully, the bowlcut got left behind in Batman: The Brave & The Bold, and it turns out Diedrich Bader will be voicing him.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

The second season opens this Saturday. Just found this five minute-plus teaser. Two of DC's biggest menaces rear their ugly heads, Guy Gardner makes his presence felt, and Hal faces Kilowog's number one student . . . and holy shit, it's awesome to behold.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Man, I loved the new episode. Guy Gardner is my favorite Green Lantern, so it was great seeing him butting heads and eventually befriending Hal. Being voiced by Diedrich Bader doesn't hurt, either.

Was that robot we saw at the beginning the Anti-Monitor? Not to mention seeing the Manhunters, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

That is the Anti-Monitor, but he ain't a robot.

At least the writers took Guy's bowlcut hair away. In fact, if the retcon origin in Green Lantern Corps #0 holds, he might never have had it. Guy's a great foil. I don't understand how he'd be so popular with the Guardians and Salaak, if not merely to shove the salt in Hal's eyes. Canon Guy is usually seen as a humungous pain in the ass, even if he does get the job done. From what I remember, his outfit is supposed to make him the "Fist Of The Guardians," at least in the last continuity.

Hal breaking up with Carol and getting fired by her means more space stuff, while Young Justice seems to be Earth-bound. I'm thinking that translates to team-ups with loads of GLs beyond Kilowog. IIRC, I think Tomar-Re was in one teaser.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

I know the Anti-Monitor isn't a robot, he just looked like one in the episode. At least he's around to set up the Sinestro Corps and possibly the Black Lanterns down the line.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Wow, if John hadn't appeared in so many OTHER cartoons and had prime roles there, it would be real crass that the black guy got cut out of the mythology this time.

That said, it was nice to see Guy, since he's been underutilized in the Animated shows. And Kyle bores me to tears, so glad its not him. However, this really wasn't the "right" Guy--he seems to have been given certain new incorrect character notes JUST to annoy Hal in a SINGLE episode, and that's a bad reason to change a character. Guy isn't just Booster Gold (meaning publicity hungry). He's kind of an abrasive jackass, who's saved from that mostly on the basis that underneath he means well and usually does the right thing. Him being popular just seems to exist here to tweak Hal for that one episode, but now they're stuck with it based on such a short return.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Man, I loved the new episode. Guy Gardner is my favorite Green Lantern, so it was great seeing him butting heads and eventually befriending Hal.

Same here -- SO happy that GL:TAS is back! (Plus the always awesome DC Nation shorts, some of which I wish were also CN series.) And it was a really good episode. Especially loved that Carol Ferris wasn't excessively upset over dumping Hal; she acknowledged that his "calling," as she put it, was more important than a domestic lifestyle on Earth. No dramatics, no tears, no superfluous drama. And it was fun to see the Guardians' delight every time they realized that Guy was there with Hal. What could he have done to make them so enthralled? He seems just as cocky as Hal was on Oa in Season 1.

My only disappointment: if they were bringing in another GL for Earth, why couldn't it have been John Stewart? He's in the Justice League, after all, on Young Justice. And he's my fave GL in DC canon. Oh, well...

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

Especially loved that Carol Ferris wasn't excessively upset over dumping Hal; she acknowledged that his "calling," as she put it, was more important than a domestic lifestyle on Earth. No dramatics, no tears, no superfluous drama.

I thought it was too convenient. I know it was so Hal wouldn't have to worry about Earth so much and he could be freed up to spend more time in space. Considering the Star Sapphires told us that Hal & Carol's relationship was about true love, it seemed to be a let down they gave up so quickly.

I'd like to think Carol bawled her eyes out over the decision that night.

My only disappointment: if they were bringing in another GL for Earth, why couldn't it have been John Stewart?

Because we got him in all the other adaptations since Justice League/JLU (exempting Batman The Brave & The Bold) and I think it was time a different GL got a chance for some airtime.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I'd like to think Carol bawled her eyes out over the decision that night.

Not me. I'm sure she cares about Hal a great deal. But she's not a love-struck teenager -- she runs a major aircraft company, and IMO she is capable of making a decision that involves sacrifice without breaking down about it. Besides, I didn't see Hal bawling his eyes out.

Because we got [John Stewart] in all the other adaptations since Justice League/JLU (exempting Batman The Brave & The Bold) and I think it was time a different GL got a chance for some airtime.

Granted, but IMO those adaptations featured John in basically cameo roles (except, maybe, in Young Justice). We never saw him display nearly as much personality as Guy was able to showcase in this half-hour alone.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I'm sure [Carol]cares about Hal a great deal. But she's not a love-struck teenager -- she runs a major aircraft company, and IMO she is capable of making a decision that involves sacrifice without breaking down about it

You don't have to be a love struck teen to cry over a broken relationship. I'm not saying Carol isn't a strong competent character, but that doesn't mean she isn't hurting.

I didn't see Hal bawling his eyes out.

Guys like Hal don't cry - except on the inside. He didn't look happy about it either.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

My only disappointment: if they were bringing in another GL for Earth, why couldn't it have been John Stewart? He's in the Justice League, after all, on Young Justice. And he's my fave GL in DC canon. Oh, well...

Likely because he's been done so often in Animation, where as Guy hasn't been.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Guys like Hal don't cry - except on the inside. He didn't look happy about it either.

He'll drunk dial her in a couple months.

At least he's free to explore relationships with any other brightly colored alien ladies he is likely to meet in his new role.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

At least he's free to explore relationships with any other brightly colored alien ladies he is likely to meet in his new role.

The key to enjoying this series is realizing that Hal is really just a cardboard stand-in for Captain Kirk.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

For those who don't like Guy over John . . . in the comics, Guy came first. Somewhere in the late-60's, Guy was chosen to be Hal's backup, in case anything happened to him. Years later, during the "Hard-Travelling Heroes" arc where GL and Green Arrow were discovering America, Guy got seriously hurt, so Hal needed a new backup. That was John. Personally, I'm hoping the series lasts long enough so we get Kyle Rayner.

ETA: I'm thinking that the writers don't want a human GL more like, say, Salaak. No, they wanted a human GL that makes Hal look more like Salaak . . . minus the extra arms and weird head, I mean.

Edited by Lantern7, Oct 6, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

It was about 3 years before, although I think it wasn't that many appearances, and Stewart was the one given his own permanent title when they did away with Jordan for a few years. Meanwhile, Gardner was put into a coma, then made into a nutball when revived. So I can maybe understand the writers here not making him the abrasive jackass Guy, because I guess the original wasn't that bad (and this is supposed to be before that).

Edited by Kromm, Oct 6, 2012 @ 4:55 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Today's ep: Tomar-Re! Chaselon! Larvox! And in the debut of a lifetime, giving Hal Jordan the beating he probably had coming for a long time . . . Ch'p!!!! I'm assuming he's Ch'p . . . pretty sure he's not Bd'g, who got the business on Robot Chicken weeks ago.

Seriously, though, how awesome was that? Little squirrel critter with a GL outfit and little green mask makes one ring construct, flies around, beats Hal up, and makes him tap out. And for an encore, he managed to swap out the annoying AI's CPU for Aya's, saving her from dissection. He took a message pod to the mush, but he survived. BTW, how funny is it that Oa has a vacuum message system, or whatever it's called?

Also: Manhunters, more Manhunters, and the Anti-Monitor seemingly kills Hal. And Aya got saved, though I'm guessing she'll be getting a new look soon. Razer is MIA, but I don't expect that to last.

bjchavez

bjchavez

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Ch'p. Need more Ch'p. I mean, if Hal is supposed to assemble a strike force, why not take the Lantern who just kicked your ass? Sure, Tomar-Re is cool, and all. But Ch'p. CH'P.

Now just give me Bzz'd and Leezle Pon and all will be well.

Isn't pulling the Anti-Monitor out of your villain's hat a little too much all at once? I mean jeez, the big bad of the entire DC universe. No bets that he sent Hal to the anti-matter universe, but does that mean we're going to see some yellow rings this season? I can't imagine that there is going to be a sequel to the live-action movie at this point, so I can't see keeping the Sinestro Corps off limits.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Yeah, but there's likely to be a Justice League movie, and a galactic war type scenario isn't a bad one for that, possibly.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

In case you didn't hear, DC Nation returns on January, and that includes GL:TAS. I don't know where you can see the commercial, but I can say one thing that made me grin:
Spoiler
Don't look now, but I do believe
Spoiler
will be rearing his ugly self in the near future.

ETA: Here's the promo for DC Nation.

Edited by Lantern7, Dec 15, 2012 @ 11:53 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

No buzz for this show's return? Dang.

So . . . Anti-Monitor gets named. Apparently, it actuallty got thrown from another universe, with a Steampunk Earth. The hero we see there? Gil Broome, Esq., aka Steam Lantern. Hal teams up with SL and his girl, fights the guy who zapped the Anti-Monitor out of the universe and didn't see himself as a bad guy, and that Earth winds up getting dragged through a crack in space into "our" universe. I'll have to see the episode again, because I think Hal is being oversold. And yeah . . . we got an "Earth-2" situation, along with the notion of "a Green Lantern in a cape." In the end, the good guys win, and Kilowog gets to yell at Hal a few times . . . always a good sign.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

Definitely loved seeing this show return. Steampunk planet complete with Steam Lantern? Awesome.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

Oops wrong thread!

While I'm here, what an adorable episode! Talk about tapping into the Victorian steampunk craze! Did anyone else notice how creative the lovey-dovey dialogue between Lady Catherine and Gil was? They kept using different terms of endearment. It was cavity inducing, but also cute in its own way. I only wonder how Kilowog or Razr would have reacted (Hal was nice enough not to comment) :)

Edited by InternalParadox, Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:27 PM.