Green Lantern: The Animated Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

153 replies to this topic

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I'm hoping that I'm not alone watching this show, especially with the posts for Young Justice every week.

I'm watching. Unlike most of the non-kids engaged in these shows, I don't know much, if anything, about the rich comic book history that exists. So, pretty much everything I'm seeing here in this series is new to me. (Similar story with Young Justice, although I'm a little less lost than I am with Green Lantern. I know almost nothing other than the basics.)

I'm going to stick with this show, although I have to admit that it isn't compelling yet. The animation is good, but also not as cool as what I see on Young Justice. (For example, when they do the quick Young Justice spot where they show some of the villains, just the way they animate the Joker is cooler than anything I've seen so far with this show.)

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

I'm watching too. I think it was just a mistake to open the season by repeating the full length feature from last year. People who were gonna watch the show would have caught the feature anyway. Kills any buzz.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Also watching. I don't usually like this sort of 3D computer animation on TV, but I'm loving the GL series so far. It seems like a 3D version of Bruce Timm's animation style, so I was on board from the pilot. Eventually I'm going to want more regular characters, but it looks like they're answering that by giving AYA a robot body. Love her personality anyway, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ep.

Thought it was funny when Kilowog made fun of Hal's mask (and Hal lamely used "paparazzi" as an excuse). But why is Hal still wearing a mask when they're all alone on the other side of the galaxy?

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Humans are unlucky in that they're one of the only species in the universe where a lot of them just look stupid wearing the GL uniform without a mask. Hal just doesn't have the right face to go sans mask.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

"For future reference, when I'm in robot form I'd prefer not to be thrown into the dirt." Hah! Love AYA!

Good episode, although it seemed obvious from the start that the queen's brother was seriously shady. But THANK YOU, DC Nation, for giving us an alien race with features that seemed more African-inspired than the typical Caucasian model. Speaking only for myself, it was MUCH appreciated. Also: maskless Hal!

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

"For future reference, when I'm in robot form I'd prefer not to be thrown into the dirt." Hah! Love AYA!

That was really funny, but that scene drew a raised eyebrow for me, was he kneeling on her?? Guess it doesn't matter, she's a robot with an attitude.

It was way too obvious that the queen's brother was the villain, but I was pleasantly surprised that she ended up with the ring (or had it all along) since I thought that the ring would have gone to the guy that initially was challenged to marry her, since in the end he was given a small redemption arc.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

So I finally get it, Hal Jordan is supposed to be Captain Kirk in the Delta Quadrant with Female Data, Worf, and a Romulan, this entire show makes a lot more sense to me now.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Just caught up on the first 4 episodes and I'm loving it. As the poster who started the Young Justice thread but fell out of interest with the show itself a while back, this show has all the emotional depth and humor I believe Young Justice lacks.

Razer was immediately my favorite character. That's also something I think Young Justice lacks: originality and flexibility. Hardly anything on that show is original but Timm's shows always have original elements like Razer and Aya that add depth to the existing comic book concept and characters. Also, this show is told in self contained stories that have actual satisfying endings. Amazing! Take note YJ.

Edited by Tableau, Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:22 AM.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I feel exactly the opposite, I don't think anyone on this show has any depth, they're all one-note comic/sci-fi cliches. Cocky hero, big loud drill sergeant, villain on path to redemption, robot trying to learn to be human.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Sure but I don't think of those as cliches, but achitypes. There's a reason why they've been around a long time, because they work IMO and I think this show pulls them off well. Young Justice annoys the crap out of me because theit characters aren't defined internally but externally.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Wow did not see that coming, I knew that the people were obviously going to betray them, but the fact that the planet became a green lantern was really out there. Nevertheless, very cool and extremely unorthodox way to recruit green lanterns.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

he planet became a green lantern was really out there.

In the comics that planet is what guides the rings to their new owners. Without him there is no green lantern corps and this was actually revealed in a comic book.

It's been in Green Lantern and other DC comics book since 1985. There are a lot more weirder Green and other colored lanterns then a living planet.

Marvel has several living planets with one Ego having been created in 1966. Ego had it's own living moon named Id.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Yeah, it was really awesome to see Mogo's origin in here. The first appearance of Saint Walker (the first Blue Lantern) gives me really good feelings for the future, too.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

Yeah, it was really awesome to see Mogo's origin in here.

Origin is different then in the comics. Like I said no mogo no Green Lantern corp.

You should know that in just a few episodes a certain new faction is going to be introduced. One of the colors of the spectrum.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Jon N . . . I'm guessing you're not a comic reader. It kinda sucks for me to know such things, such as one of Alan Moore's quirkier creations when he was writing stories for DC Comics, because I know where the plot goes. If each of the marooned people suck ass, and the planet seems to react to whatever the GLs need, then it's Mogo. And he can't go to Oa with Hal and Kilowog because he's too damn big.

I've been reading GL books off and on for the past few years, so I have to ask: do any of you find Saint Walker to be lovably badass? In the comics, I figure he comes off as too hopeful (I know, I know), what with him saying
Spoiler
most of the time. Here, he doesn't fight Razer so much as avoid his attacks, and he looks great doing it. It's a bit of a contrast . . . and his inclusion brings hope that others will join him. Once again, I'm holding out for
Spoiler

Right now, thousands of pre-pubscent boys are looking for a screencap of Aya holding that one bitch in her arms, and none of them know why.

Burgalicious

Burgalicious

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

And he can't go to Oa with Hal and Kilowog because he's too damn big.

That's right. Mogo doesn't socialize.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

And he can't go to Oa with Hal and Kilowog because he's too damn big.

Cannot really go anywhere, he isn't a social able fellow. He is a planet and his gravitational mass would cause devastation if he came near another planet.

Here, he doesn't fight Razer so much as avoid his attacks, and he looks great doing it.

He doesn't have his blueness yet plus you know blues gotta pair with greens to be effective.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:06 PM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

It's been in Green Lantern and other DC comics book since 1985. There are a lot more weirder Green and other colored lanterns then a living planet.

Jon N . . . I'm guessing you're not a comic reader.

I just watch these shows because it's a good way to procrastinate from studying. I really can't get attached to comics so my comment was just based on what I've seen so far. Heck I didn't even know Green Lantern was even a superhero until I saw Justice League.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Did anybody catch the latest episode? The gang find the Red Lantern stronghold, and Razer goes on a suicide run. Lots of new RLs to gawk at, like Bleez (with leathery wings, as opposed to the wing bones in the comics), Cleric Lorrin and Skallox. Sadly, still no
Spoiler
to be seen, but Atrocitus's ugly mug is on full display. The show also breaks out the Red Lantern Oath (one of eight! Collect 'em all!!!), though it gets edited from the canon version. The highlight? Without rewatching the episode, it would have to be the annihilation of Sector 666 displayed on stained glass, complete with demonic-looking Guardians. That beats a hapless Kilowog squeezing into Red Lantern Stormtrooper armor.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

Did anybody catch the latest episode?

I did. Since I know nothing about the Green Lantern story, I've found the last couple episodes really interesting. Little by little, the show is fleshing out the details for me, which is fun.

Edited by JTMacc99, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:45 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

This week: wacky misunderstanding between two species, thanks to the mystery yellow-tinged minerals that will probably be made into
Spoiler
later in this series. Kilowog runs into a friendly band of aliens that resemble a cross-breeding of Shrek ogres and Jabba the Hutt's guards. Hal tags along with a gang of floating jellyfish. Meanwhile, we see the pain that Razer puts himself through in wearing the Red Lantern ring, and Aya taking a stab in trying to ease his burden. BTW, after last week's ep, she has no legs below the knees . . . and she still fared better than Red Tornado on Young Justice this week.

Next week? Star Sapphire . . . though I'm not sure if it's going to be singular or plural.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

I was kind of meh on this episode overall. The whole wacky misunderstanding to me is played, but my 6 year old thought it was pretty cool. I did think that the scenes with Killowog's dreams were more affecting than I thought they would be. It is interesting to see how they're weaving the yellow crystal into the story fairly subtly.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

For those not into the Green Lantern comics Killowog is the last of his race who were very communal. So being alone drove him insane for a time after they were all killed with no hope of being returned to the living.

So Killowog in the village upon seeing a similar race felt kinship with them.

bjchavez

bjchavez

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I'm really liking the direction of this show so far--so many call outs to the comics while still telling it's own story. Agreed that this episode was kind of 'meh', but they did a call back to the yellow crystals. I think that if the movie gets a sequel--unlikely, but still possible, last I heard, the crystals will just show up to cause trouble for the GL's. If the sequel gets nixed, the writers will be free to use them for whatever, and I think they'll be a lead up for
Spoiler

Also, I like the character arc they're doing with Razor. He's a great sympathetic character. I suspect that with the appearance and his conversation with Saint Walker, and the trouble he's having with the Red Lantern oath, there's a
Spoiler
in his future, at least if they keep the comics continuity that
Spoiler

Finally, I also suspect that end game for this season, and the set up for the next season, is going to be along Blackest Night lines. Saint Walker mentioned a "coming storm", we've seen Reds, Greens, Star Sapphires show up next week,
Spoiler
which, while difficult to pull off on CN, could be a lot of fun.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Great introduction to the new Star Sapphires canon today, as the gang visit Zamoran, and Hal gets a surprise visit from Carol Ferris. Also, lots of uncomfortable moments for Hal, as he comes close to having to punch himself in the balls to keep control. There is one issue, though . . . imagine this happening once we faded to black . . .

Kilowog: Sheesh, I feel even worse than when dis caper began! My new girlfriend got zapped to Zamroan, drank the brown shivtre, and now she's a glassy-eyed servant of "love." And I couldn't go jack cuz she turned me into a lawn ornament!!

Hal: Look, it happens, pal. Love makes you do dumb things.

Razer: (scowling) Yes, you can say that.

Hal: Greeeeeeat. What's up your ass this time?

Razer: I have a few questions. First: by your reckoning, how long would it take to get back to Oa?

Hal: Hmmmm . . . I think at maximum speed? About seven and a half months.

Aya: (to Razer) I can translate that into something you would be famil-

Razer: (snapping) Shut. Up. I'm still pissed at you. (to Hal) Now . . . how long does it take for you to get from your home planet to Oa?

Hal: Huh. Well . . . a few hours if I pour on the speed. Where are you going with this Razer?

Razer: You'll see. Final question: is it true that the queen's niece was able to send your woman back home?

Hal: Yeah, Carol- (pauses)

Kilowog: What's wrong?

Razer: As I understand humans put it: "Wait for iiiiiiiiiit."

Hal: She sent . . . so that would mean. . . . FUCK!!!!!

Kilowog: Wass wrong, Ha- . . . .oh, no.

Hal: FUCK! FUCK! SHIT CRAP FUCKING FUCKING SINESTRO UP MY FUCKING ASSHOLE FUCCCCCCCKK!!!!

Razer: "Fuck" indeed. One of us could have gotten back to Earth, and then to Oa. Perhaps that Star Sapphire might have created a portal large enough for the Interceptor vessel to pass through. But you did not find out, Jordan, because you were too busy trying not to trip over your engorged genitalia. And we cannot go back to Zamoran because the Star Sapphires will be too busy punishing their disobedient solider . . . .perhaps with a pillow fight and oil, as I've seen in your "magazines," Jordan. So we can't go back to Oa . . . but it's not like I have friends and family to come back to there, Jordan. (turning to Kilowog) Or comrades in arms that depended on me. I'm going to my quarters. When I wake up, I might go back to Atrocitus. Maybe he would accept me as a solider once again. Maybe he would kill me in a blood sacrifice. But at least he thinks more than you assholes!!!

(Razer stalks off . . . Hal, Aya and Kilowog stare at each other)

Razer: FUCK!!! WHY AREN'T THERE ANY DOORS I CAN SLAM!!???!

Aya: If you like, I could rearrange the inter-

Razer: SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU MECHANICAL BITCH!!

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

Redred

Redred

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I've just begun watching the show and apart from the CGI being awful,

I'm personally not interested in seeing Hal Jordan as the G.L. I wanted to see Kyle Rayner instead. Hal Jordan is the typical hero these days. Defying orders to do "whats right" and winds up being proven correct. Boring and predictable.

I feel exactly the opposite, I don't think anyone on this show has any depth, they're all one-note comic/sci-fi cliches. Cocky hero, big loud drill sergeant, villain on path to redemption, robot trying to learn to be human.

I agree with these points. The characterisation is so grating, so clichéd and dull. Hal is too annoying for me, I can't root for him. I'll keep watching though because it's Bruce Timm, but it's very disappointing so far.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

So the Star Sapphires have push-up bras built into their outfit.
I did not know that.

Edited by A Conspiracy, Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:59 AM.

bjchavez

bjchavez

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I'm liking all the call-outs to canon, but really, they need to stop with the "Lanterns arrive on planet/meet people that may not be all that they seem...with sinister results!" storylines. So far I'm counting Spider Guild, Princess Iolande (which admittedly, was a story straight from the comics), Mogo, that Jellyfish planet from last week, and now Zameron.

Agreed that Hal is too stupid to live. Star Sapphires can teleport the breadth of the universe, and he leaves her there? *facepalm*

Carol can control the violet ring, sees the power, knows that Hal is in some serious shit, and...leaves him there? *double facepalm*

Still liking the series, love the one liners, but some of the characters need a serious intelligence boost.

Still loving Razer's character development. I admit I didn't even notice the twist with Aya, so, kudos to the animators for making the difference subtle enough. Can't wait to see where that's going.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

Watching this series so far, got me googling some facts, and I guess we're heading towards
Spoiler

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

The lesson to be learned for anybody not into the GL mythos: for the most part, the Guardians of the Universe are massive pricks. It's true in the canon as well . . . in face, they recently
Spoiler
. On the bright side, Ganthet's Blue Lantern of Plot Convience pushes us closer to
Spoiler
. On the down side? Still no
Spoiler
by Atroticus' side.

This past weekend, I got this sketch of Aya at a small comic show. Next up: Razer the non-canon Red Lantern.