Last Man Standing

• Please log in to reply

528 replies to this topic

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Wait, Tim Allen goes off script? That explains a lot. But here, Nancy was simply holding back her giggles while Tim was trying to 'figure out' how to comfort her, it was hilarious.

This is such a family friendly comedy; there are hardly any off color jokes, and we never see the parents make out or do stuff in bed, it's a show I'd feel comfortable sharing with younger or conservative viewers.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Only 2 episodes left and the finale was pushed back a week to 5/8.

That's a good sign. Now they're in May sweeps territory.
(Of course, it could be a "make it or break it" moment that decides the show's ultimate fate.)

Am I the only one still enjoying this show?

You're not alone. I love the family interactions. The scene with Mandy and Mike about their "spotlights" was very well done. Especially for a sitcom trying not to be all "after-school special."

This is such a family friendly comedy; there are hardly any off color jokes, and we never see the parents make out or do stuff in bed, it's a show I'd feel comfortable sharing with younger or conservative viewers.

Especially compared to CBS' completely inappropriate sitcoms and NBC's "too smart for you" comedies.

Edited by ChelseaMcQ, May 6, 2012 @ 11:25 AM.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Oh dear. I guess that episode was to help me be okay if the show is cancelled (not really, I'd still be really unhappy). I just hate the whole who-makes-more-and-deserves-to-buy-whatever-they-want-while-the-other-one-doesn't argument with couples and especially here because I think Vanessa's geologist career is such a creative one for a sitcom. Besides, the argument didn't really go anywhere so it could have been cut completely. And, as with Mike's brother, I'm not a fan of the annoying relative and April was one heck of an annoying relative--although I did enjoy her horrific advice to Mandy.

Speaking of Mandy, loved her chasing Eve up the stairs with open arms. And my favorite line of the episode was Mike's, "that would be the answer to the question 'how do you know April?'"

Sad that Kyle and Kristin have broken up. They were adorable together.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

That was another solid episode. Maybe not the funniest, but still some good stuff.

Two of my favorite bits as well:

Speaking of Mandy, loved her chasing Eve up the stairs with open arms. And my favorite line of the episode was Mike's, "that would be the answer to the question 'how do you know April?'"

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I thought this episode was ok, but it wasn't their best, too bad they didn't finish the season on a stronger note. But I'm still hoping for a second season.

I did enjoy Mike telling Kyle he could still come over to see the family, that was a nice little moment.

I also loved Eve's comment about her aunt cursing her by saying she'll never have a better friend than her sister. Mandy following her up the stairs was cute too.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Did anyone guess this would be the show that ABC announced last if it would renew/cancel? It's the last of my shows to get an answer for and I'd be really happy if I could be watching the Baxters next year.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I was really hoping it would already be renewed. I want to see this show in the lineup next fall.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Has officially been renewed for a second season! Great News!

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

PHEW! I can now turn my computer off with an easier mind.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Last Man Standing Renewed.

Updated: Private Practice, 'Body of Proof' Renewed; 'Last Man Standing,' 'Scandal' & 'Apt 23' Renewed Too; 'GCB' Canceled

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I am so glad this show got renewed. I am a huge Tim Allen fan and I just adore this nice little clean sitcom. I watch some of the raunchy ones too, but I just love this "family show" for what it is.

I AM sad that they broke up Kyle and Kristin because they were sweet together, but I thought it was done pretty realistically. Kristin is growing, going to college and her interests are expanding. I don't think she is smarter then Kyle, per se, but they are in different places in life and it makes sense that they would start to drift apart. What I really liked is that they both saw it was happening. I didn't want either of them to get their hearts broken. Although I thought it was nice of Mike to tell Kyle he was welcome to come to the house to see the family, I kept thinking "you might want to talk to Kristen before you tell her ex it's ok to come over".

Mandy chasing Eve up the stairs with her open arms in the background of the scene was terrific! Aunt April was REALLY annoying, though. Her advice to Mandy made me want to smack her and I was totally on Mike's side in his opinion of her.

Besides April, the only thing I can express hate for was the money thing between Vanessa and Mike. She doesn't work at Walmart, she is a geologist! She may not make as much money as the famous Outdoor Man, but I doubt she is making minimum wage either. I think they were both in the wrong for spending money without discussing it (in my house, things like that are a big no no) but his acting like it was ok for him but not her was grating.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

SO happy this is coming back.

I AM sad that they broke up Kyle and Kristin because they were sweet together, but I thought it was done pretty realistically. Kristin is growing, going to college and her interests are expanding. I don't think she is smarter then Kyle, per se, but they are in different places in life and it makes sense that they would start to drift apart. What I really liked is that they both saw it was happening. I didn't want either of them to get their hearts broken. Although I thought it was nice of Mike to tell Kyle he was welcome to come to the house to see the family, I kept thinking "you might want to talk to Kristen before you tell her ex it's ok to come over".

One thing I like about Kyle and Kristin is that temperamentally, they're very much the same type of person. She's book smart and more educated, but they both think in similar ways and are probably the two most earnest characters on the show.

I think they were both in the wrong for spending money without discussing it (in my house, things like that are a big no no) but his acting like it was ok for him but not her was grating.

That was pretty much the punchline. Mike gives Vanessa this big speech on fiscal responsibility, only to be completely undermined when it comes out that he bought pretty much the most ridiculous thing imaginable. The show does a good job of making neither parent the "wrong" one.

Edited by CGRealms, May 12, 2012 @ 12:22 AM.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

Very glad the show got picked up.

Besides April, the only thing I can express hate for was the money thing between Vanessa and Mike. She doesn't work at Walmart, she is a geologist! She may not make as much money as the famous Outdoor Man, but I doubt she is making minimum wage either

This was a storyline they did on HI and it's wasn't funny then either. Of-course at that point on HI Jill didn't work, and Tim thought all the money was his. I had thought we'd moved past such stupid thinking (regardless of which spouse makes more). And I agree it makes very little sense in the context of this show, since Vanessa would probably make quite a good living on her own.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

This was a storyline they did on HI and it's wasn't funny then either. Of-course at that point on HI Jill didn't work, and Tim thought all the money was his. I had thought we'd moved past such stupid thinking (regardless of which spouse makes more). And I agree it makes very little sense in the context of this show, since Vanessa would probably make quite a good living on her own.

Here's the thing too, they talk about Mike going to places like Europe and Africa, as a geologist, not to mention how they did bits and pieces of Vanessa's job early in the season. She would be traveling just as much and be making close to 75,000 a year if she worked for a big research firm like she does.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

Also glad for the renewal news.

As far as the Kristin and Kyle breakup, it occurs to me that the two of them getting together in the first place was an accident, as Mike originally intended to set him up with Mandy. I kinda wonder if they're thinking about going back to explore that dynamic (after all, it wouldn't be the first time Mandy got involved with Kristin's ex...).

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

It just occurred to me that we haven't seen Boyd in ages. I'm surprised there are so few Boyd-centered episodes. A 2 yr old zooming around the house wreaking havoc should really be a big part of this show. He seems to never be there when everyone else is.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

As far as the Kristin and Kyle breakup, it occurs to me that the two of them getting together in the first place was an accident, as Mike originally intended to set him up with Mandy. I kinda wonder if they're thinking about going back to explore that dynamic (after all, it wouldn't be the first time Mandy got involved with Kristin's ex...).

Oh Lord, I hope not! I can't see Kyle and Mandy as a couple at all. She would be trying to dress him up in better clothes and wanting to go to places that would bore him silly (in my imagination, of course)..

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Oh Lord, I hope not! I can't see Kyle and Mandy as a couple at all. She would be trying to dress him up in better clothes and wanting to go to places that would bore him silly (in my imagination, of course)..

I'm with you on this one, I love Mandy (because her self absorption is funny), but Kyle deserves way better than her.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

One thing I like about Kyle and Kristin is that temperamentally, they're very much the same type of person. She's book smart and more educated, but they both think in similar ways and are probably the two most earnest characters on the show.

Speaking of Kristen and Kyle, I am surprised they didn't explore a bit more of how they are kind of like a mini-Mike and Vanessa. I mean she is very educated and is going into a field that requires someone to be very strong academically (like her mom). And when Kyle was talking to Kristen about his day and boring her, you could tell that while he is not academically as strong as she is, he knows his shit about the stuff they sell at Outdoor Man, just like Mike.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

A 2 yr old zooming around the house wreaking havoc should really be a big part of this show. He seems to never be there when everyone else is.

He's off playing with Emma from "Friends," Elizabeth from "Reba" and all the other invisible sitcom babies.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

It just occurred to me that we haven't seen Boyd in ages. I'm surprised there are so few Boyd-centered episodes. A 2 yr old zooming around the house wreaking havoc should really be a big part of this show. He seems to never be there when everyone else is.

I have an 18 month old. She doesn't get up until around 9, naps once or twice a day and goes to bed around 8:30. Considering you maybe get 3-4 scenes per episode in the house and we know that Boyd goes to daycare when Kristen is working, it doesn't surprise me that he is not in more scenes. Especially when you consider how much of a pain in the ass it must be logistically to film with a toddler (very limited filming window of hours per day he can work and teachers and other support staff required when he is on set).

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

He's off playing Harrison on Dexter. He's a very busy toddler actor.

I liked Kyle and Kristen too. Talking about your work or school work with anyone is boring most only pretend to care so it's not really a reason to break up. But I did like Mike saying Kyle can still hang out with the family because he knows he's a good kid.

Super Mateo

Super Mateo

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

http://tvbythenumber...-friday/134231/

As said earlier, Last Man Standing has been renewed for a second season. We now know that it will be moving to Fridays, with the season starting in November.

Edited by Super Mateo, May 15, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

As said earlier, Last Man Standing has been renewed for a second season. We now know that it will be moving to Fridays, with the season starting in November.

Well, that blows. I hope they change their minds. I think it needs a better spot. And it needs to start with the rest of the fall lineup.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I see two tiny pieces of good news about that--it doesn't need great ratings to live on Friday and it's being paired with the Reba sitcom. I'm guessing that will be a very compatible audience. They might skew a little older than the network would want, although being on Friday should keep that from being a huge problem. I'm a Grimm fan and I think the only reason that was never in jeopardy of being canceled was that NBC wasn't worried about its numbers since it was a Friday show. However, if ABC thinks it is reviving TGIF and is expecting ratings to match, they're going to be very disappointed and LMS could bear the brunt of that. eta: I just read the descriptions of the new sitcoms and I see something needing to fill in the Wednesday at 9:30 spot because "Neighbors" reads like a really bad joke.

I love my TiVo. It no longer matters what night a show is scheduled on, I give it a Season Pass and watch whenever I can. Luckily, for ABC if not me, I'm not a Nielsen family so I don't matter anyway. But this is really me just being selfish, with Raising Hope and NCIS both at 8pm on Tuesdays I needed something to move--I only have a dual tuner. . .

I do wish it was starting with the rest of the schedule--hopefully more new episodes in a row? I noticed the ratings really started to slip when they were trying to come out of the rerun episodes.

Edited by LT, May 15, 2012 @ 12:37 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Actually, this is going to work out better for me. I've got other shows I usually watch on Tuesday nights. I had to make an effort to remember this show was on Tuesday. I don't have TiVo. There's nothing on Friday nights that I currently watch so this will be great.

Mommay

Mommay

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Wait, Tim Allen goes off script? That explains a lot. But here, Nancy was simply holding back her giggles while Tim was trying to 'figure out' how to comfort her, it was hilarious.

I completely agree! I was so pumped for this show but all I kept reading were poor reviews calling Allen cheuvenistic, gun-toting blah liberal blah. This show has beaten my expectations and my heart smiled when it was renewed;). Allen is a terrific comedian and I routinely have belly laughs while watching.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Ugh! Why do they do stuff like this? The cast was perfect, and the best thing the show had going for it.
Alexandra Krosney Fired From Last Man Standing, Role Will Be Recast

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Honestly, I can't say i'm too bothered by that recast, since the eldest daughter was probably the least memorable/interesting character of the show, as far as i'm concerned (also, every time I see Krosney on screen, my mind flashes back to her lingerie-wearing, psychotic role in Psych's season 4 Exorcist spoof, so that didn't help).

Now everything will hinge on who they'll cast in her place.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Ugh :(
That's weird though, this isnt a long-running soap where you can just recast an actress. How will they explain the new actress? Disfiguring accident? Kristen and Boyd moved out so we dont see them anymore?
I really wonder what the 'creative reasons' were... I liked her.
I just notice the show's been moved to Friday nights... I won't be surprised if it doesn't last past the second season.

Edited by JanLevinsonScot, Jun 12, 2012 @ 12:13 AM.