Last Man Standing

• Please log in to reply

528 replies to this topic

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

A great cast matched with sharp writing well-tailored to each actor/actress's talent. A pleasant reminder that a multi-camera traditional sitcom doesn't have to be tired and worn out.

jessdvd

jessdvd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Gosh, I was laughing so hard I was snorting just at the expressions in the first segment while Vanessa and Kristin were discussing Mike's psyche. It got funnier from there.

For interest's sake, I think Vanessa, Kristin, and Eve were playing Upwords in the "Thang" scene.

I'm really loving this show.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

So glad to have this back tonight. The character dynamics are just wonderful.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I really, really want to know how that house is so spotless with a 3 yr old (who is apparently invisible.)

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

I really, really want to know how that house is so spotless with a 3 yr old (who is apparently invisible.)

Well, obviously... they do the work. [ / rimshot]

Count me as another glad to see the show back. Loved Mike working his way out of the doghouse with Mandy, just a nice bit of father/daughter bonding. Kristin explaining things to Eve now that she's walked a couple of blocks in Vanessa's shoes was great, as well. But I think overall, my favorite moment was badass Kyle, telling (not asking) Ted to get his vehicle out of the loading zone; I completely lost it when Ted tries to laugh it off, and Kyle just grabs that oar and stalks off to do some damage.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

The characters have really grown the entire season. From Mandy realizing she has to work to make things happen and not skirt by to Kristen realizing just what a parent has to put with as a child grows up. The Mrs. and I were saying the exact same thing watching this episode about what we have to look forward to our son. I think the best has been done with Kyle, he really came a long way this episode. However, the one thing that bothers me is how Mike admits that Kyle will most likely marry Kristen, but he controls his job. So, when he says: "You realize you have to support them." I wanted to go: "Then either tell him more how to get his act together, or promote him."

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

So glad to see this show back. Another good episode. I loved the 'new' Romeo & Juliet.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I was ready to write this show off in the beginning, I'm glad I didn't. I love it now. I like that's it's a family show without falling into Disney level territories. It's funny but not crude. More shows need to take notes, you can have a family that makes fun of each other without being whiny or mean. Is it getting a second season? I'll be upset if doesn't.

I'm with Kristen, I'm glad my younger sister stopped playing soccer and switched to basketball. Soccer is boring and you can sit there for hours watching a ball go back forth with no one scoring.

I did like that Kristen has also gone to Eve's games to support her even though they are boring. I've done that for my sister and now that she's playing college ball I'll probably try to make it to a few of those. I really like the sister's relationship on this show.

Edited by Sakura12, Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

But I think overall, my favorite moment was badass Kyle, telling (not asking) Ted to get his vehicle out of the loading zone; I completely lost it when Ted tries to laugh it off, and Kyle just grabs that oar and stalks off to do some damage.

Right there with you! When Kyle grabbed the oar and just stalked out of the office, I was cheering! I kind of flove Kyle so it was nice to see him acting "cool" rather then behaving like an idiot. I do wish he hadn't choked in the tournament, though. I wanted him to be the one who won it for them.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I do wish he hadn't choked in the tournament, though. I wanted him to be the one who won it for them.

Kyle did excellent. It was Ed who choked.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

That was the only thing I disliked about last night's episode. I'm so tired of the heroes always losing in these things. On HI, Tim always lost to Bob Villa. On Cheers, they always lost to Gary's. Why can't we have a more equal epic battle? Maybe where the heroes win every other year or something? Is it really that funny to lose?

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

[argh! Lost my entire post--stupid "internal error"]

I loved the way they did that--we thought it was Kyle that got them the loss and then it wasn't. Runningwild, I think back in the day it was a surprise when the "good" guys lost and you're right, it's done so much now that it's strange when our guys do win.

Loved that no one sulked or kept Mike in the doghouse for long for missing Mandy's show--and TA's adlibbing rant about the BB gun and shooting grandma was so funny (and the actress playing Mandy trying not to laugh) that I had to keep pausing the TiVo so I could laugh and still not miss what he was saying.

I'm so happy that the writers are doing such a good job with the Vanessa character. It's so hard to write the mom character in shows like this (hello HI's Jill) but Vanessa is funny and entertaining. With the daughters such standouts, Mike a great curmudgeon and the Outdoor Man guys so quirky they could have let Vanessa be a nothing but she's not. I'm really glad they left the drinking Vanessa behind in the pilot. Not that I have anything against the drinking, just that it would have been a crutch and NA has proven too good for that. She has such great chemistry with TA and the young women play her daughters that there is no reason to rely on crutches and I'm glad the show has realized that.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I'm so happy that the writers are doing such a good job with the Vanessa character.

Mike and Vanessa are right up there with Mike and Frankie on "The Middle" (and to a lesser extent Burt and Virginia on "Raising Hope) among the very few sitcom couples that are plausible and functional. Mike and Vanessa have a similar sense of humor, and agree more often than not. They actually like being around each other (and respect each other) which is unfortunately more rare than it should be.

Edited by CGRealms, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:41 PM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Oops, I must have misheard the part about Ed choking. I thought it was Kyle who messed up. Now I am really happy with the episode (although it would have been nice if they had actually won the trophy).

Completely agree with everyone about the Vanessa character. I adore Mike and Vanessa individually and as a couple. What I like best about their "couple-ness" is that they seem like a REAL couple. They aren't attached at the hip and they aren't constantly bitching about the other one wanting to do something they don't like to do.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

Completely agree with everyone about the Vanessa character. I adore Mike and Vanessa individually and as a couple. What I like best about their "couple-ness" is that they seem like a REAL couple. They aren't attached at the hip and they aren't constantly bitching about the other one wanting to do something they don't like to do.

I couldnt agree more, I love the whole cast but one of the most refreshing parts of this show is that Mike isn't an imbecile or a lazy schlub husband and Vanessa isn't a nagging shrew. They're both intelligent, funny people, who have separate interests, take an equal role in raising their kids and genuinely care about each other. Genius.

Kyle was awesome this week but I think my favorite scenes we're the parents celebrating their free Saturday, Kristin calling Eve out on being a brat and Mike's apology.

Sakura12 I don't think ABC have announced renewal for it yet but I'll be surprised (and upset) if it doesn't get a second season.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

If ABC were smart they'd pair this with the other family-centric ABC comedies on Wednesday nights -- "The Middle", "Suburgatory" and "Modern Family" -- and create a separate block for "Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23" and "Happy Endings".

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Yeah, ABC seems to like the family sitcom starting off their sitcom nights but it does make the show kind of float on a night where it doesn't really fit in with the rest. I did read that ABC had ordered new "family" sitcom pilots (as opposed to "friends" sitcoms) so I guess it could be paired with one/more of those.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

What, no comments about last night's episode? I know it wasn't the best but I love this show so much I can deal with a "Meh" episode now and then.

I like Mike's dad but I hope he isn't going to be around all the time now that he has moved to town. I was kind of hoping he would tell Mike off instead of sending his girlfriend away. I get that it is tough, even for grown men, to see their parent with someone else after the other parent has passed away, but Mike was quite a jerk and I wanted to see his dad call him on it.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I like Mike's dad but I hope he isn't going to be around all the time now that he has moved to town.

While I like Mike's dad more than his brother that isn't the family dynamic I care about. What I do care about was how adorable the scene was when Mike plopped himself down between Mandy and Kristen on the couch (and changed the channel to a nature show, heh). Mandy tapping his arm and then snuggling up to him was so cute. Also enjoyed the pillow talk of Mike explaining how he'd meet a 25-year old girl to start dating.

What I never realized until Kyle said it out loud was that with Ed and Mike he works with a Mr. A and a Mr. B. No clue why I thought that was fun, but it was. Also enjoyed everyone calling Vanessa "V." I guess I just really like nicknames.

As always, a lot of great lines that made me laugh (and I've forgotten all of them--oh well, makes the reruns more interesting).

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Mandy tapping his arm and then snuggling up to him was so cute.

I got a kick out of Kristin flicking his ear. Mike's "attagirl" to Eve for the way she protected.the remote made me smile (also, the totally ninja way Eve just glided in and snagged the remote in the first place... that was such a "baby sister" move).

What I love most about the whole Baxter bunch is that they do have such a close-knit family dynamic: they're all up in each other's "personal space" all the time, they constantly call each other on their BS, and no matter how vehemently they may disagree on something, at the end of the day, you know they love each other unconditionally. Heartwarming, I think they used to call it, back in the day.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 4:11 AM

Only 2 episodes left and the finale was pushed back a week to 5/8.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Tonight's episode was great! So funny! I always LOL at the Tebow references. And the stuff with Kim K. was hilarious too. It was all good to me.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Am I the only one still enjoying this show? I loved last night's episode. Especially the whole bit about the doll:

"I was expecting more action and less bobble."

"It get's worse. Turn it around."
"Backdoor Man."

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Am I the only one still enjoying this show?

Nope! One of the most consistent sitcoms on TV right now. Really hope it comes back next season.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I love it. It's full of laughs! Vanessa was barely holding it together when she was 'crying' on the couch.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

This is now one of my favourite comedies, I really hope it gets picked up.

Loved the ep, I enjoy any Mandy/Mike interaction so that was a bonus, and her helping Eve get ready for the dance was great too, good Mandy scenes this week..

But the scene of the episode was Vanessa filming the Outdoor Man ad. "Get your husband off your back, and your front." Too funny.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

Yep, "Vanessa Baxter for Outdoor Man" was truly the highlight of the episode, which is saying something, because there was, for me, a lot of good stuff in this one.

Mike: Why are you crying?
Mandy: It's just, sometimes I say the most beautiful things.

Once again, it's demonstrated that if there's a subject on which Mandy is clueless, it's pretty much only because it's something about which she doesn't give a crap. She was spot on with her insight about Mike (and herself) naturally, albeit unintentionally, stealing the spotlight. And Mike realizing, without overtly admitting it, that Mandy's right, and making a sincere effort (as much as it's possible for him) to stay in the background on Vanessa's big night, until she asks him to step up, was nice to see.

Eve: Hey guys, what do-- what do you think?
Mike: I'm... kinda conflicted. You look beautiful... and you're grounded.

And we're treated to another example of just what a truly beautiful young woman Kaitlyn Dever is. The thing I think I liked most about Eve's look for the mixer is that it wasn't over-the-top. Really, it was nicely understated; in fact, it was downright elegant. Between the makeup, the hairstyle and the dress, she almost could've stepped straight out of a classic WWII-era movie, on her way to a USO show.

Eve: What was your thing [in high school]?
Vanessa: Rainbow suspenders and a tube top.

I kinda love that V is completely unapologetic about her wild-child past, while at the same time being utterly clear that it's not what she wants for her daughters. She doesn't try to hide or sugarcoat it; in fact, she seems to remember much of it fondly. It's made her who she is, and she owns it, but she doesn't want her girls following in those particular footsteps.

Eve: How did you make it through high school?
Kristin: I had a baby and finished online.

Storyline aside, just some nice little bits in this one. They weren't all laugh-out-loud gags, just little character bits that at least made me smile...
  • Eve breaking it down in the kitchen, a nice callback to her dancing in the "Pie Rack" video. Bonus points in that it embarrassed the hell out of Mandy ("What if she doesn't stop doing... that?")
  • Vanessa's baby talk and refusal to believe that Eve's on the verge of starting high school. ("Mom, those aren't words.")
  • Kristin reaching out like a small, grabby child as Vanessa walked past with the tray of hors d'oeuvres. ("Do we have company, or is it tiny dinner night?")
  • Everything involving Ed and Kyle. Although plotwise, they're generally the B-team, they're knocking it out of the park just as often as the Baxters themselves. ("Kyle, you don't need to ask permission to talk to me. But, since you asked, permission denied.")
TV By the Numbers has LMS ranked http://tvbythenumber...enewed/131412/'>"Likely to be renewed" at the moment... and I certainly hope they're right on this one.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

Those were all good lines, equinox. It was all good. I really hope it gets renewed! It's one of my must see comedies and I was very hesitant to even try it because I thought it would be HI with girls.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

TV By the Numbers has LMS ranked "Likely to be renewed" at the moment

I hope ABC had already made up their minds to renew because this week the show got its lowest ratings. And I went into this week only praying for two shows to get renewed! I didn't want to add a third. . .

I, as always, loved this episode. It's a big-ish cast but everyone (except Boyd and the dog) got to make a mark even though this was a Vanessa/Mike heavy storyline (which I'm fine with).

But the scene of the episode was Vanessa filming the Outdoor Man ad. "Get your husband off your back, and your front." Too funny.

Mike: "Our minister watches this."
Vanessa: "He has eight kids, I think he knows what I'm talking about." [/paraphrased]

I want that bobblehead--Ed's got 5,000, I'm sure he'd be okay with me taking one off of his hands.

Happy to see Mike is good with Peyton coming to the Broncos. "[Ed]'s smiling, but he wasn't happy."

Vanessa was barely holding it together when she was 'crying' on the couch.

Loved that--I'm now watching TA's costars whenever it is obvious he's going off script because he's really going for a laugh from them and it's great fun to see everyone trying to not break.

Edited by LT, May 3, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

Gata

Gata

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I love this show...I hope with all my heart it comes back. Everything mentioned about last night I give a "HIGH FIVE" to, this show is just so great on so many levels. There is nothing that needs to be tweaked or changed - PLEASE ABC bring it back.