4-13: "Face Off" 2011.10.09

• Please log in to reply

546 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

TV Guide sez:

The fourth season ends with Walt and Jesse squaring off against Gus. Elsewhere, Walt acquires a surprise confederate with help from Saul.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell ...

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Well kudos to you guys who picked up on the plant angle. Walt is well on his way to becoming Gus.

I knew as soon as Hector spelled out SUCK MY DIC at the DEA meeting that Walt's genius plan was to lure Gus to the nursing home and rig up Hector's bell to the bomb. It was confirmed when Hector pressed the button and the ringing sound was muted. I was worried at first that it wasn't going to go off, and then when we saw Gus walk out I couldn't believe it. But this show always finds some spectacular way to surprise me. Seeing Gus with half his face blown off was sooooo satisfying. Like he had an extra few seconds to think about how Walt had gotten the better of him.

The thought of having to wait nine long months for more of this awesome show is the only thing that dampened the awesomeness. I am just so in awe of this show.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

All the awards for Giancarlo Esposito. All the awards. What a gruesome exit, though, even for this show. One of his eyeballs was burnt/blown out. Love the music in the scene when he was walking on the way in, although that's when I knew it was it for him.

So there was something to spinning the gun and looking at the lily of the valley plant! Whoever picked that out little detail in the previous episode on this board gets an A+. I never thought Walt would go there, though. Man.

Good to know Brock's going to pull through. If it had been ricin, that would have been it for him.

There was something so cathartic about Walt and Jesse destroying together the source of their torment and terror in this season (Gus' meth lab). The jaunty music was awesome, too.

"Face Off"? I see what you did there, writers. Hee.

Edited by Blue32, Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:07 PM.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Oh my freaking god. Tio is da bomb, yo.

Loved how the thing took a bunch of bell taps, just like when it was tested in Walt's kitchen.

And DAAAAMMNN... a lot of people guessed right about the botany.

THCO9

THCO9

Couch Potato

WHHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA! "Face Off" indeed. That was so brutally gruesome and perfect.

Tuilelaigh

Tuilelaigh

Just Tuned In

Aaagggh. My wise comment for the day. Walt is a genius bastard.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Well it happened.......

I still don't understand how any of the whole poisoning thing makes any sense, and I'll try to not let it ruin the show for me. I did really enjoy Tio being the end of Gus.

I also thought a man missing half his face straightening his tie was beyond stupid and it looked almost like a joke to me.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Great show, kudoes Vince, the writing was spectacular!

Arkarian

Arkarian

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

So I guess Jesse just misplaced the ricin then? Whatever the case, I was satisfied by the episode. Walt is one bad dude.

Wonder what Mike's been doing?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Well shut my mouth. I'm thinking that Walt calculated that he could give the child just enough to make him really sick but not kill him, but still. Walt is truly Scarface now. Big ups to those of you who honed in on the flowers. Still in shock, gotta watch this again.

Edited by Puds38, Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:10 PM.

petriccione

petriccione

Just Tuned In

Kudos to this entire forum for pretty much figuring out the entire episode. Kudos. For all those wondering someone posted a pic of gus with his face off in the spoilers section like a week ago so we all knew he was gettin his face blown off. Plus earlier today someone posted an article pretty much confirming what happens.
I also want to say congratulations to whoever the first person was to call out the lilly of the valley. BRAVO!!!

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

A completely satisfying and yet utterly unnerving finale. You can't help rooting for Walt, but then, that perfect final shot .

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Oh my freaking God I cannot even form coherent thoughts right now or even form sentences but I knew it, I knew it, I knew Walter made Brock sick with that plant, what an asshat, what a freaking genius asshat, what a freaking genuis, Oh god so great so great so great so odd so odd so insanely perfect

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Kudos to all out there who called the Walt/Lily of the Valley connection. So satisfying that Heisenberg won. Where does next season take us? Walt vs. Hank finally?

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

RIP Gus. Well played, Giancarlo Esposito.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

The fans of this show are too smart. People's speculation totally ruined the surprise. That's okay, though; it was still tremendously satisfying. Bye, Gus! You were awesome.

Walt and Jesse destroying the lab together is one of my favorite moments ever. So badass.

keepwalking

keepwalking

Loyal Viewer

I also don't get how Brock was poisoned. What exactly did Walt do to get him to ingest it? It really didn't even cross my mind that Walt would be the source of the poison, but the show really did go there!

It was highly satisfactory that Tio took Gus down and Jesse & Walt destroyed the lab.

axeman61

axeman61

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Good finale, yes, but HOW did Walt get the poison to Brock? There's NO explanation for that.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Well kudos to you guys who picked up on the plant angle. Walt is well on his way to becoming Gus.

Seconding that! Good call by many, there. I still want answers on how it was delivered, but this was so damned good, I can live with it if we don't get those answers.

"I won."

Barely, but yes, Walt, you certainly did. And finally, that damned lab got blown up!

Incredible death scene with Gus. There couldn't have been much brain left, but there he was meticulously buttoning his jacket... I don't care how realistic it was or wasn't (don't know, for that matter), it was a stunning moment.

"Did you just bring a bomb into a hospital?"

McCafe

McCafe

Couch Potato

Ding. Ding. Ding.

That sound will haunt me.

"I won."

Walter White is a cold calculating monster.

I feel so sorry for poor manipulated Jesse especially because he seemed so relieved to trust Walt again and be safe with him.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Ding...ding...ding...BOOM!

This was even better than Walt dropping the bag of mercury fulminate in Tuco's office.

So..is the piece of shit Pontiac Aztec done with? Did Walt have some sense and trade it in?

Excellent ending to season 4!

Edited by MightyMac63, Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:12 PM.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Looked like Gus did indeed have the DEA in his back pocket. Once he said it wasn't ricin I knew it was Walt. Wonder who will fill the void Gus has left as Walt's enemy. My guess is the show ends with Jesse killing walt.

Fasttimes

Fasttimes

Channel Surfer

How did Walt get the ricin as well as deliver the poison?

calliek

calliek

Couch Potato

FACE OFF INDEED. We need to make a thread just for this season's double-entendre titles.

Was the Lily of the Valley plant at the White home?

I am stunned, absolutely stunned.

Edited by calliek, Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:13 PM.

Dis Gruntled

Dis Gruntled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I called Tio and the old folks home as soon as Walt asked Jesse...

Amazing fake out, we all thought Gus had survived at first. Face off, indeed. Until they confirmed he was dead I was thinking pissed off mutilated Gus.....

RIP Gus. I hope we find out more about his past next year.

RIP Tyrus and Tio also. Tyrus more that matched his total words spoken in this episode.

Walt's poor neighbor was lucky!

be arthur

be arthur

Loyal Viewer

Walt had Saul's goon frisk the cigarettes off him when Saul was frantically calling Jesse to show up to his office.

jaws

jaws

Channel Surfer

That was awesome. My mind is blown (pun intended).

Question - people are mentioning that Walt has transformed to Scarface - how so?

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

HOLY CRAPOLY !!! That was brilliant! I did not see ANY of it coming.

Is it wrong that I laughed when Gus walked out of the room? I thought that MF survived and then they showed his face blown off.

I just have no words for the brilliance. Mind Blown!

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I wish I had not known about the Lily, I will learn to not read the spoiler thread next season. This show can surprise the hell out of you if you don't know what's going to happen.