Talking Dead: Autopsy for a Zombie Show

• Please log in to reply

989 replies to this topic

mightysparrow

mightysparrow

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 8:35 AM

Lincoln is 5'10, I wouldn't call him pocket sized. I do think he is quite handsome. I believe Alan Ladd was around 5'6, so he would more qualify as pocket-sized.

I'm really surprised; I didn't know he was that tall.  For some reason he's always struck me as a smaller man.  Well, knowing how tall he is, Andrew Lincoln has just become practically perfect.  Thanks for the info!

sweethenrietta

sweethenrietta

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

To those of you who enjoyed the Love Actually reference on Talking Dead, thanks for the kind words! :) I was delighted to be chosen! If you'd like to know more about it or see the clip, I wrote about it on my site: http://www.viewerdis...lking-dead.html

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:34 AM

Congrats, sweethenrietta! That was an awesome moment!

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

sweethenrietta - I thought it was brilliant!  I can only imagine the excitement you must have felt when you realized your clip had been chosen.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

That was awesome, SweetHenrietta! I watch that movie every Christmas and love that scene, so I couldn't believe that I didn't realize what was coming when I first saw the cards. I must be slow. But it made the reveal even sweeter.

So do I.  I told a friend that last night. The English accent has no effect on me, because I have one.

When I went on vacation to the UK, I was sad to have it pretty much confirmed that the American fascination with British accents is not in anyway reciprocated. At least my California accent wasn't well-received. Maybe if I had one of the prettier Southern ones... I, on the other hand, was swooning left and right. I loved almost all the accents I encountered as I traveled around England and Scotland.

Edited by Cynic, Apr 1, 2014 @ 12:38 PM.

cwreality

cwreality

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

tootles86

tootles86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

I would have loved if Hardwick had asked Andrew Lincoln about Carol. With Rick's new attitude, it would have been interesting to see if he understood why Carol did what she did. I think his tune might have changed about her, so it'll be interesting to see next season.

I died when Andrew Lincoln said "Normski." It also sounded like Hardwick was going to comment in the nickname but changed his mind.

Edited by tootles86, Apr 1, 2014 @ 1:18 PM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 1:25 PM

I watch that movie every Christmas and love that scene

I do that, too, Cynic, but because it's Christmas, I always cry at that scene.

frogzapper

frogzapper

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 3:01 PM

I watch that movie every Christmas and love that scene

I do that, too, Cynic, but because it's Christmas, I always cry at that scene.

Me too!  It's become like a tradition for me for the past 10 years every Christmas to watch that movie (and About a Boy - another British movie I love).  The Andrew Lincoln scenes (the one with the cards and the earlier scene where he sees that Kiera Knightly realizes that his wedding video is all about her and he has to run out of the apartment) always make me cry like a baby!

frogzapper

frogzapper

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Also, I thought it was quite funny how everyone was so distracted by the bird, and it was also amusing that Andrew forgot to answer the cue card girl's question too!

I'm also looking forward to seeing Chandler Riggs next season.  I, like a lot of people, couldn't stand Carl in Season 2 and I would've been happy to see him off'ed, but I've grown to like the character a lot over the past couple of seasons and it'll be interesting to see the actor's take on playing him.  I would love to see Andrew Lincoln return with him on the couch, but yeah, an Andrew Lincoln & Norm Reedus show would be great too!

Blackcanary

Blackcanary

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

I died when Andrew Lincoln said "Normski." It also sounded like Hardwick was going to comment in the nickname but changed his mind.

I've seen a few people (on other forums) moot the idea that, since we have both Tyreese and Abraham, Daryl could be pretty much defunct now. I think seeing AL talk so affectionately about NR on Talking Dead should give an idea of just why that relationship couldn't just be replaced. Their oodles of natural, easy chemistry and their real life bond go such a long way to making that relationship one of the most touching and most full ones on the show. 

Sherry67

Sherry67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 4:27 PM

sweethenrietta -- It was a very clever idea of you to tip your hat to Love Actually and use those cards!  It was a great moment.  I was wondering if that movie would be referenced at any point during the Andrew Lincoln interview, and if you hadn't done that bit I'm not sure it would have been mentioned by Chris Hardwick or anyone else.  I know there are still some people who have not connected the dots and realized that Andrew was in that movie -- a friend of mine even said that she didn't recognize him as being the guy with the cards (and the boombox playing "Silent Night") in Love Actually.

mightysparrow - 

I don't think I ever realized that Andrew Lincoln was under 6' tall (not that it matters too much)!  On TWD he has come across to me as reasonably tall and lanky, but in Love Actually I thought he appeared to be a bit shorter.

About Love Actually...

I am a self-described Christmas fanatic -- but hell... I will admit that I don't wait until the holiday season to watch Love Actually!  I have it saved on my DVR, so will watch it at random times during the year (it works for Valentine's Day too), and I also have it saved in my DVR's Search menu, so that I can scout for when it is going to air on TV.  I will watch the unedited version, the edited version, the semi-edited version -- I love it all.   How sad is it that when I think of Christmas songs now, I can't help but sing to myself "I feel it in my fingers...I feel it in my toes..."?

Most of the stories in Love Actually are great, but the scenes with Keira Knightley and Andrew Lincoln are especially touching.  In fact, didn't they date in real life at one point?

Oh, and by the way -- Love Actually will be on the WE channel this coming Saturday, April 5th!  Check your listings!  Woo hoo!

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 4:31 PM

Loved the fan that did the "Love Actually" cue card thing.

Holy Crap...he was the guy in love with Kiera Knightly?! How did I never put that together?

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Sherry67 - actually, I think I lurve you!

To me, that movie is perfect.  I'm a total sap over it, and I eschew romance and Christmas!

MrsRafaelBarba

MrsRafaelBarba

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:27 PM

@ morrigan2575....

Andrew was a bit more stocky back then, will a fuller face. 

You're not the first person that took a bit to realize that he was Cue Card guy. 

:raises hand:

He lost quite a bit of weight.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba, Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:29 PM.

sweethenrietta

sweethenrietta

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:13 PM

Thanks, all! I was worried a lot of people would not get the reference but it seems to have been embraced very well :) I think I embarrassed him a bit haha

MrsRafaelBarba

MrsRafaelBarba

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

Still LMAO at Hollywood, trying and failing to redo Love Actually with New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day.

Nope, Sorry, THEY BOTH STUNK!  

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba, Apr 2, 2014 @ 3:40 PM.

Anela

Anela

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 2:48 AM

To those of you who enjoyed the Love Actually reference on Talking Dead, thanks for the kind words! :) I was delighted to be chosen! If you'd like to know more about it or see the clip, I wrote about it on my site: http://www.viewerdis...lking-dead.html

I liked that, but noticed that they didn't answer your question - I thought it was a good one. I've just seen on your post that they answered later on, so I'll check it out - thanks!

Anela

Anela

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 2:57 AM

When I went on vacation to the UK, I was sad to have it pretty much confirmed that the American fascination with British accents is not in anyway reciprocated. At least my California accent wasn't well-received. Maybe if I had one of the prettier Southern ones... I, on the other hand, was swooning left and right. I loved almost all the accents I encountered as I traveled around England and Scotland.

Cynic, when my Dad was in England visiting us, people tended to love him, and his accent. :) People seem to have grown more weird about it, since George Bush.

That scene from Love Actually is one of my most favourite scenes from anything: https://www.youtube....h?v=B7u6bMBlCXw

It already has me rethinking my stance on his looking better when he's scruffy. It gets me every time.

skeb

skeb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 12:26 PM

oddly enough, I think I prefer AL with his Grimes southern accent...and a bit dirty. Not too dirty, mind you.

I prefer him dirty too....and bad.....very bad.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 9:42 PM

I've noticed that AL's voice has interesting intonations and inflections when he speaks in his southern accent that aren't there when he speaks in his British accent. And his mate was right. He does wear the hat well... and the boots, and the holster. He handles firearms like he's been doing it all his life. He was born to be a southern boy.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:05 PM

It was interesting that Lincoln said that he thinks that there are other English actors who do better Southern accents and he watches No Country for Old Men every year and has drawn on Tommy Lee Jones' character - notably a Texan, like Jones - for inspiration. While *I* think Lincoln is fantastic in the role, I wonder if his lack of comfort with the accent is related to not quite finding the Georgia-ness of it, at least at the outset.

I know that some of the cast talked of looking to Scott Wilson, once Hershel came on, for a Georgia feel to their characters.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

What I find adorable about that is that given references Andrew Lincoln has made to seeing Season 2 as a Western, and watching No Country for Old Man as an inspiration, I think Andrew Lincoln sees Rick as a cowboy, and is secretly loving the chance to get to be a cowboy all the time.  He seems to be very pleased about that, in an endearing boyish way, and I can imagine how fun that would be for a European.  What is particularly cute is that, being an Englishman, he doesn't seem to know the people from the deep south aren't really cowboys, even if they like country western music and wear a cowboy hat and boots.  They are Southerners, which is its own thing.  (I say that as a Coloradan, which , ahem, is actually part of the West -- I love Southerners, but Georgia is not where cowboys come from.)  I hope no one spoils the fun for him, he should enjoy it.

It was interesting that Lincoln said that he thinks that there are other English actors who do better Southern accents and he watches No Country for Old Men every year and has drawn on Tommy Lee Jones' character - notably a Texan, like Jones - for inspiration. While *I* think Lincoln is fantastic in the role, I wonder if his lack of comfort with the accent is related to not quite finding the Georgia-ness of it, at least at the outset.

Hah!  I was writing my post when you posted this, lulee, but I think we are thinking along the same lines.  Yes, I think Andrew Lincoln does not know that there is a regional difference between Texas and Georgia, and did not quite grasp the Georgia accent in the beginning.  I can't tell if he's just better with the accent now or if I have just gotten used to the way Rick speaks, but I definitely felt he was struggling with it in the beginning.  However, at this point, if he wants to emulate Tommy Lee Jones in his cowboy roles, what the hell, have fun. 

Edited by lawless, Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:16 PM.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:24 PM

He does wear the hat well... and the boots, and the holster.

And the gun belt...

It was interesting that Lincoln said that he thinks that there are other English actors who do better Southern accents and he watches No Country for Old Men every year and has drawn on Tommy Lee Jones' character - notably a Texan, like Jones - for inspiration. While *I* think Lincoln is fantastic in the role, I wonder if his lack of comfort with the accent is related to not quite finding the Georgia-ness of it, at least at the outset.

In other interviews I think he's said he also draws on the accents of people he meets when he's around Atlanta.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:49 PM

In other interviews I think he's said he also draws on the accents of people he meets when he's around Atlanta.

Maybe that's why he seems to speak more naturally as Rick now.  Perhaps it took him some time to hear the accent first, before he could mimic it.  I found his speech (and Maggie's) very labored in the first season, but I don't notice it so much now.  So, from what he said on the Talking Dead, sounds like he started out by trying to mimic Tommy Lee Jones, until he got to know some folks who are actually from Georgia.  Still find it endearing, and I still think he's secretly, boyishly delighted to get to be an American cowboy of sorts.

And the gun belt...

This is true.

Blackcanary

Blackcanary

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 3:17 AM

Yes, I think Andrew Lincoln does not know that there is a regional difference between Texas and Georgia, and did not quite grasp the Georgia accent in the beginning.

What ARE the differences between a Texan and Georgian accent? I'm English and i'm not sure I could pick up the difference if my life depended on it!

skeb

skeb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 7:10 AM

What ARE the differences between a Texan and Georgian accent? I'm English and i'm not sure I could pick up the difference if my life depended on it!

It's hard to describe.  To me, Texans talk a little faster (George W. had a TX accent) and Georgians draw out their words a bit more....more of a molasses drawl.

Edited by skeb, Apr 3, 2014 @ 7:11 AM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 9:57 AM

I'm from Chicago, but talk to a lot of people in the south for my job. I tend to think that Georgians talk slower than everyone else at least the ones I talk do. So I really haven't heard the Georgia drawl from anyone in the cast. However I really don't care too much about that when I'm watching the show. For me as long as they sound southern is all that matters.

When I first heard AL with his natrual accent it shocked me before I put together he was from Love Actually. So I think he's doing a great job with the southern accent.

As for him being on this show, I was surprised how charming AL is. I hope he's able to make a return appearence next season. Gimble was okay too, he's better than some of the other prouders that have been on the show.

I loved the girl with the bird that asked a question. All I looked at was the bird too. The Love Actually shout out was great too.

Edited by Sakura12, Apr 4, 2014 @ 10:00 AM.

JBody

JBody

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 2:47 PM

So I really haven't heard the Georgia drawl from anyone in the cast.

Scott Wilson is a born and bred Georgian.  Atlanta, I think.  He should've been a good model for them.

All this talk of the Clutterbuck and Love Acutally reminds me of one of my most favourite pics from TWD universe http://i1.wp.com/blo...?resize=460,631

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 10:40 PM

What ARE the differences between a Texan and Georgian accent?

In all honesty, they vary even amongst different people within the same state, but generally, especially for more small town, native Georgians, the accent is thicker somehow, and the Texan accent is lighter.  However, this can vary. 

Trying not to get too far off topic, and after this post, I may take it to another thread, but since Andrew Lincoln's comments about his cowboy boots and No Country for Old Men are what prompted mine, I guess I will put this here -- What I meant was not so much about feeling like his accent isn't exactly correct (I thought it was just very unnatural in the beginning, and exaggerated), it's that his inspirations for his character seems to be about something Georgia is not.  Though many Southerners like country-western music and may wear cowboy hats and boots, they are not western cowboys.  Texans definitely count as cowboys (and they can be Southern-ish), and the characters in No Country for Old Men, the movie Andrew Lincoln mentioned, were.  Thematically, that movie was a western.  As for the attire, like Rick's apparent cowboy boots, out west, such as in Denver and Texas, it's not uncommon to see men wearing business suits, cowboy hats, and cowboy boots all together -- even downtown in major cities, sometimes they add Bolo strong ties with elaborate silver, though that is not the norm in Denver.  (I'm an attorney and I have learned the hard way to be very, very specific in discussing appropriate court attire with clients and witnesses, as I have had clients proudly show up for trial in federal court in "western wear" that is their Sunday best in the more rural communities in Colorado that they live in, but not the presentation we want to make in federal court).  From speaking with a colleague who just moved to Colorado from Georgia, that is not the case so much in Georgia.  Well, maybe boots.  Based on Andrew Lincoln's comments about his influences, Andrew Lincoln seems not to quite know this, or perhaps he's just making an artistic choice thematically for his character and the show.  It works, since underlying elements and themes of many westerns are the lawlessness of being in such remote, unpopulated areas and the dangers posed by the environment (including other people) in those areas, outside the civilization back East, such as it is.  And that fits with the show, since that is the scenario the ZA has created everywhere, but it is not the ethos in which Rick and Shane grew up.  They are from the Deep South, which is much older, traditional, and different.  However, the western cowboy theme fits where the characters are now, and it seems to make Andrew Lincoln happy, so it's fine with me.  It also explains the Show's preoccupation with Carl's Hat, which resembles a cowboy hat, but isn't.

Edited by lawless, Apr 4, 2014 @ 10:43 PM.