Talking Dead: Autopsy for a Zombie Show

• Please log in to reply

989 replies to this topic

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

Looks like AMC created a talk show for the Walking Dead.

AMC announced today (Sept 22)Talking Dead, the network's first live after-show that serves as a platform for discussion for AMC's series, The Walking Dead. The half-hour episodes are produced by Michael Davies' Embassy Row and are hosted by Chris Hardwick (Nerdist; G4). Talking Dead" premieres immediately following the encore presentation of The Walking Dead on Sun., Oct. 16. Then beginning on Fri., Nov. 4 the series follows The Walking Dead's encore presentation at 11 PM | 10C.

Talking Dead features Hardwick spending time with fans, actors, producers and tv enthusiasts, recapping that most recent Dead episode, and taking questions and comments from viewers. Fans may continue to engage with the after-show following the on-air conclusion, online, at amctv.com for more conversations, questions and trivia.

"As an ENORMOUS fan of both The Walking Dead comic and television show, I pretty much begged for this job. I'm fairly certain I slobbered on the phone while doing it. Dissecting the moves of Rick Grimes and the remaining survivors after every episode is something I would be doing with my friends anyway, so the fact that AMC is actually paying to do so is a bonus," said Hardwick. "This half-hour after-show gives fans the opportunity to nerd out about the story in a very public forum: what they like, what they don't like, or what questions they may have. Additionally, it will better inform viewers on making intelligent decisions when faced with the zombie apocalypse, which will probably happen sooner or later."

"Fans of The Walking Dead are incredibly engaged with every aspect of the show. They tweet, blog, and post comments in very large numbers, and we wanted to give them an opportunity to interact with the show in a way that they don't currently have a kind of live water cooler," said Joel Stillerman, AMC's SVP of original programming, production and digital content. "And, we knew we needed a great host, and are thrilled to have Chris Hardwick on board. He is genuinely knowledgeable about the genre, and truly entertaining."

Michael Davies is the executive producer of Talking Dead for Embassy Row. Jen Kelly serves as co-executive producer.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

Interesting start I do wish they had pushed Kirkman more on why were these guys all in there cars dead? Were they just surrounded by zombies and starved to death?

Edited by Marq DeCarabas, Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:49 PM.

StillTheTooth

StillTheTooth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I particularly liked the "in memoriam" sequence where they named the various Walkers--my favorite was Winnebago Walker.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

I was happy to get some questions regarding things that might be potential nitpicks. Like when he clarified that the zombies can smell that they aren't dead, but they aren't bloodhounds, as a reason why hiding under the cars would work. I doubt I'll stay up every week for this, but I'll definitely set the DVR.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Love seeing Chris Hardwick in anything...especially since DirecTV took G4 away...pretty good 1st ep...Oswalt is so damn quick...the KOST-fm bit was hilarious...

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

Love seeing Chris Hardwick in anything.

This.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

I'd like to see the total number of votes cast in the leave the girl behind poll.

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

Was it supposed to be funny that they didn't show the real poll numbers during the show? The results are just about the same from last night.

How long would you search for someone else's lost child?

Until he/she was found: 7208 (34%)
One Day: 6695 (32%)
One Week: 3959 (19%)
Not at all: 2896 (13%)

20,758 total votes

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

edited cause I misread a post

Edited by MrWhyt, Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 2:26 AM

Finally took a few insomniac moments to see this, and I condemn it roundly. Mentally masturbatory, self-congratulating/sycophantic crap, depending upon who was speaking at the time, and none of it interesting or appealing.

I won't watch again unless one of the (all awesome) posters here says there is something in it not to be missed.

JennyEve

JennyEve

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

Is this thing available online somewhere for non-US residents?

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

If you happen to be in Canada, AMC has it at 11pm right after the encore showing at 10. I didn't notice it last week because I watched the 9pm episode and it didn't follow that.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

I concur with HelenBack. I watched it last night too, and didn't make it past the first 15 minutes. Honestly, reading here is better. I even like Patton Oswalt, the host wasn't that bad, and the Gunn guy was okay, but it was just pointless jokes and a bunch of "Okay, let's watch this moment in the show"...."Okay, anybody got any lame comments or jokes to make?"..."Okay, let's watch this 20 second clip from the show"...."anybody any pointless things to say?" - rinse and repeat. Waste of a show. In fact, I go beyond it not having any value and give it a negative rating because on the copy I watched, they showed a spoiler from the upcoming episode.

jr13

jr13

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

Same here, thought it was fairly pointless. It almost felt like a commercial. I liked the behind the scenes stuff a little bit, just wished there was more of that and less babble.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

This show is so unfunny it's painful. I wish they would just talk about the show instead of making all of these damn jokes. Nobody is funny, especially the comedians.

Although it's good to know that zombieism doesn't cross species. Zombie bears are my worst nightmare. Kirkman's explanation about the bodies in the cars kind of seems like a cop out, but I guess it makes sense. If they bashed their heads against the steering wheel or snapped their neck in a crash or something.

This show could be so much better.

GageWhitney

GageWhitney

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Watched for the first (and probably last) time tonight. So it's basically Watch What Happens Live, but with Chris Hardwick instead of Andy Cohen? Lame.

ljp

ljp

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

The clip of next week has to be a fake out, right? I don't want to go to spoiler section and I'm not sure if the clips on this show count as previews or spoilers?

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

The clip of next week has to be a fake out, right? I don't want to go to spoiler section and I'm not sure if the clips on this show count as previews or spoilers?

I don't know, if you read back on this topic, there was at least one complaint about a spoiler in the show for what I think was tonight's episode. Personally, I was sufficiently turned off by just the show itself that I wasn't paying close attention and so didn't notice this, but if there was one last week, there probably was this week, too.

Caveat, this is not an informed opinion, just a guess based on the slight and very recent history that's all we have to go on.

Since clips aired on the show are official releases, AFAIK that means they do not count as spoilers on this site, but IMO that doesn't mean it's invalid if you feel you've been spoilered. Please accept my sympathies, I really do know how unpleasant that is when you're wanting to be surprised by everything in the next episode of any series.

Myself, even if I'd liked the Talking Dead, that alone would be reason enough not to watch again.

ljp

ljp

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

Thanks! But I'm not worried about the clip spoiling me, I'm just not sure which topic I can talk about it in, if any, without having to go to the spoiler discussion. The spoiler discussion would be too much info. It aired on AMC on this show so I feel like it shouldn't be a spoiler....

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:52 AM

Thanks! But I'm not worried about the clip spoiling me, I'm just not sure which topic I can talk about it in, if any, without having to go to the spoiler discussion. The spoiler discussion would be too much info. It aired on AMC on this show so I feel like it shouldn't be a spoiler....

Points taken. I think that's a question for the forum's moderator. Tennison, if you're reading, care to weigh in?

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

Felicia Day! Oh, I love her.

Chris Hardwick is so awkward, but in the best way. "So...uh... Shane murdered Otis!"

Cowshark

Cowshark

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 2:23 AM

Chris Hardwick is so awkward, but in the best way. "So...uh... Shane murdered Otis!"

His WTF expression was priceless. I figure he was channeling what most viewers were thinking. Almost as fun as when over 99% voted to leave Sophia in the first ep (which they say was due to some malfunction, but I prefer to think that the viewers truly did vote that way).

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 3:20 AM

I still won't watch this again, but I think it's very funny that, in the new season, this title could very well take the place of the original, for the show.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

Did anyone watch this week?

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 4:39 AM

Yeah, it actually had some interesting moments provided by the guy who was the head of The Institute of Zombie Studies or whatever it was called.

SarahEC308

SarahEC308

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

I actually found this week to be terrible because of the other guy who I didn't know, but made unfunny jokes and then looked awkwardly at the audience or host for laughs. I did think the zombie guy had some interesting points, though.

I keep watching, hoping it will get better. I want to see clips that were cut from the show or something of that nature. I hate that they show things I had just watched and then sit there and crack stupid jokes that are only rarely funny at best.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Yeah, I have no idea who that guy who was supposed to be a comedian was either. I was hoping this show would be a serious discussion of TWD but it's a lame yak fest at best. I only keep watching to catch the long trailers they show of the next episode. Now if they had some good guests, like Doom or HelenBack or any of the other numerous brilliant posters from this forum, it would actually be worth watching for the commentary.

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:56 AM

They did have the behind the scenes thing on how they created the Well Zombie. I thought Stephen and Lauren were cute, especially when Stephen said they went and improvised in the back, because you could see on his face that moment when he realized, "Oh shit, that sounded REALLY bad!"

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

I'm really liking the host, even though he's kind of bumbling his way through this thing. When the good Professor of Zombies said that a zombie apocalypse is possible, the host was like "Wow, that sucks a lot". And last weeks "So... Shane murdered Otis!" was hilarious. He's endearingly awkward.

Katydid73

Katydid73

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

Oh yeah, I love Chris Hardwicke. He's adorkable. The "So ... Shane murdered Otis" intro from last week was the bomb.