4-12: "End Times" 2011.10.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

637 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 8:40 PM

TV Guide sez:

Hank leans on Gomez to explore one final lead, as Walt scrambles to protect his family. Meanwhile, Jesse learns some unsettling news and races to share it with Walt.

Purplex15

Purplex15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

I called Brock getting poisoned with the ricin the second Jesse got to the hospital. Great episode, perhaps my favorite of the series

Edited by Purplex15, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:05 PM.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

That scene with Walt and Jesse. That was masterful acting by the two of them. Particularly Aaron. And brilliant writing. This was an amazing episode. That's all I have right now.

maderas

maderas

Channel Surfer

I thought the whole "Walt has a bug in his glasses" theory was a bit silly until tonight, but after Gustavo's weird car-bomb prescience and the focus on Walt's glasses I'm kind of starting to become a believer.

Edit - Then again, the writers might just be screwing with us.

Edited by maderas, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:06 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

This show is evil. It occurred to me that Brock might end up being the victim of the ricin, but I dismissed it because I didn't think they would be that mean. I'll never underestimate them again.

Aaron Paul was amazing in this episode. Holy crap.

Holly crying in the beginning made me cry. It set the tone perfectly.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

I didn't see any of it coming!! Holy shit, another great show.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

And now for my scholarly summary of tonight's episode:

FUUUUUCK!

This ends our scholarly summary.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Brock getting poisoned was the best thing that's happened to Walt all season. How messed up is that?

That scene with Walt and Jesse. That was masterful acting by the two of them. Particularly Aaron.

Yes. And yes. The writers are definitely putting Aaron Paul through his paces.

Gus having a spidey sense. A bit too much for me.

Not for me. I think he would have to have keen intuition to do what he does for a living; it's probably saved his life more than once.

Edited by Blue32, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:10 PM.

Purplex15

Purplex15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

I personally thought Gus couldvsee a glare from Walt's glasses. I don't know why he left them on top of his head.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Gus having a spidey sense. A bit too much for me. Everything else was fine. Who will rat out Gus?

Jadiem

Jadiem

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I shudder to say it: I don't believe Walt. That would explain why Gus's radar went up.

Cassis

Cassis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that Walt poisoned that kid to bring Jesse back on his side. I need Jesse to shoot him in the head.

Gus can sense threats from miles away purely by power of badassness. He will always be badassier than thou, Walt.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I personally thought Gus couldvsee a glare from Walt's glasses. I don't know why he left them on top of his head.

That was my thought, too, rather than a "bug" in his glasses. The camera DID focus on them. I expected a shot from Gus's POV showing the sun glinting off them, but we didn't see that.

I was a bit irked by Gus's spidey sense, but I can accept it. There are certainly many times when most people feel they're being watched, and they are.

As far as the ricin (if that is indeed what happened to Brock), I did not see that coming. Good job, show.

So did Gus have Tyrus get the ricin cigarette out of Jesse's pack? or did Brock get it himself. Brock did not seem like the type of kid to sneak a cigarette, though he did seem to idolize Jesse, so I suppose that's a possibility.

Can't wait for next week!

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

There'll be no sleep tonight. What an amazing fustercluck. Was Brock really poisoned? Did he find the ricin? Did Walt just tell Jesse that it was Gus because Jesse had the gun to his head? Would Gus really poison the child?

Each episode keeps out-intensifying the last.

Just wow.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Have any of you watched the Inside Breaking Bad segment for this episode? It may have implied that Gus may not be the one behind Brock being poisoned or at least that's what set off his Spidey sense. That's my take on it anyway. I could be wrong. Or at least I'm thinking that Brock discovered and ingested it by accident. Who knows? If anyone else watches it, what's your take on it?

At this point nothing would surprise me until it does.

Edited by sekhet7, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:16 PM.

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

A fun episode, but some things bugged.

So wouldn't someone at the hospital, one of the nurses, call the police if a child had been poisoned by ricin? Particularly if a crazed boyfriend bust in, pulled the mother away, and then this information was suddenly available? A little lazy writing there. Jesse wouldn't be able to chill at the hospital long before law enforcement would want to talk to him.

Gus as prescient here, I guess. He somehow magically intuits the ricin cigarette. I suppose he could have had cameras on Jesse at the dinner. Perhaps that house isn't Gus' residence at all, but rather a place to stage meetings and record them for review later. Every toy laying about strategically placed to add to the illusion. I can picture Gus on his computer watching Jesse stare at his cig pack in front of the Chilean soup pot. Rewind. Play again. A plan comes together.

Then he magically intuits the bomb. Alright, I guess. Kind of felt like a cheap time waster. I was so psyched to see chemistry at play again (did Walt cook up some C4?), and was hoping for a payoff. Instead we got 'Psych!' and all the real action will happen next week. I was hoping for something on par with 'Run.', but not so much.

Edited by DaLovin Dj, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:20 PM.

maderas

maderas

Channel Surfer

I considered it, but how would Walt have poisoned him? Even if he cooked up his own ricin he had to have gotten into Jesse's cigarettes at some point.

FarEastGurl

FarEastGurl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

All I can say is wow! I'm so happy they're back on the same side. I also noticed the return of Walt's "power" color (green). I can't believe we only we have one episode left.

Mitzi30

Mitzi30

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Awesome episode. Everyone is bringing their A game. The scene in Walt's house w/Jesse was amazing. Walt's maniacal laugh, Jesse's raw emotion and the realization and the two teaming back up with Walt stopping Jesse's suicide mission with an offer to help...so wonderfully done. Kudos to all for those scenes.

I was surprised Gus left his car unattended in the first place, but once he checked around I am guessing he saw the Walt's glasses reflecting away in the sun.

Purplex15

Purplex15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I don't think it was spidey sense. I think everything fell into place for him. He is very smart and like Walt said, 10 steps ahead the whole time he's been on the show . I thought Jesse was acting a little too defiant with tyrus, yet a little too pushover with Gus. If I thought that sitting n my living room, then I can just imagine what Gus was thinking while walking to his car

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

No way or time for Walt to poison Brock, but he sure figured out who did!

hotpeppers

hotpeppers

Channel Surfer

Well I think this was the lame episode of season 4. This ep dragged and wasted altogether too much time on 1 thing that is an outlier, like Ted hitting his head. I know, this pushes Jesse off the deep end and aligns him with Walt to kill Gus but I was very disappointed by this waste of the next to the last episode this season UNTIL NEXT SUMMER. Sucked, plain and simple. Look at the tension and plot lines of the other episodes and how you were on the edge of your seat and look at this one. Bullshit, sorry, I am very very disappointed!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that Walt poisoned that kid to bring Jesse back on his side. I need Jesse to shoot him in the head.

But when would this have happened? When would Walt have gotten the ricin cigarette from Jesse's pack, and when would Walt have gotten it into Brock's food or whatever?

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

Great directing Vince, great editing Kelly! So much happening, and certainly not disappointing your fans with this kick-ass episode.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

Seriously, if there was any kind of misstep this episode, from the writing to the shot selection to the music to the acting, I didn't see it. The pacing was masterful; I still have a knot in my belly, the sense of dread has been made so palpable. I don't know if I can even take another week of this.

I am so amped to see Walt and Jesse back together, but it's hard to enjoy it, seeing as they're once again in deep shit together. What is amazing is that I know the rules of series TV: you don't kill off the main character with a season to go. But for the first time in a long time, maybe ever, it feels like these characters are truly in danger and any one of them could die at any time. I was actually afraid for Walt in the scene with Jesse. And I'm still amazed at how ready I am to view Walt sympathetically once again, after hating him all season. The ricin cigarette- we knew it was going to come into play, but the writers faked us all out once again. I'm done trying to guess what they're going to do next- they're too damn good.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Did Walt just tell Jesse that it was Gus because Jesse had the gun to his head? Would Gus really poison the child?

It doesn't matter whether Gus poisoned Brock or not, for Walt's purposes: Walt was able to convince Jesse that Gus did it, which was enough to get Jesse realigned with him and on his side again, at least temporarily.

I assumed Brock snatched the cigarette when Jesse wasn't looking and poisoned himself accidentally.

Then he magically intuits the bomb.

There's nothing magical about intuition. Everyone has had that "something seems wrong" feeling at one point or another, often when zigging instead of zagging can mean your death. (Gavin DeBecker talks about the value of intuition in life-threatening situations in The Gift of Fear, although it's more in the context of paying attention to your intuition when interacting with others.)

Edited by Blue32, Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.

tinpanannie

tinpanannie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

Nothing has ever been shown to suggest the Walt is capable of poisoning a child so I think it had to be Gus using cyrus to get the cigarette from Jessies pack. He's probably known about the poisoned cigarette from video surveylance.

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

Looks like we can add ricin cigarettes to the Arsenal.

Damn it, show, don't make me cheer for Walt again. It didn't cross my mind that Walt poisoned Brock, I still think the father in him is too strong for that, and we don't know that he knew enough about Andrea & Brock to make it happen. I figured at first Brock just filched the wrong cigarette in a rebellious streak, but if Jesse had it that morning...

I've resigned myself to Gus's demise. But I was yelling at Walt "Oh no, you coward, face him like a man!" Looks like we'll get that next week. As to Gus's spidey sense, my guess is 1) damn good intuition has helped him survive these more than twenty years and 2) he's probably had some experience with car bombs. If he didn't see Walt's glasses maybe he saw an odd bump in the car silhouette or something.

Have we ever had confirmation that Gus ordered hits on the children? He's never confirmed or denied, but whether that's plausible deniability ("I can't possibly comment") or he doesn't want to acknowledge that he doesn't have 100% control for his overeager minions I'm not sure. It would be all too easy for him to say "I did not do this," true or false, but he knows Jesse would assume he's lying or he's clinging too hard to that I am so strong I do not have to worry about your common morality conventions. It is, of course, entirely possible that I'm sticking my fingers in my ears going "la la la la la."

Is Mike gonna be OK?

hotpeppers

hotpeppers

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

And another thing I forget, how the hell would Gus have known about the ricin IF Tyrus gave it to the kid? And how would Tyrus approach the kid? This makes no sense, it's bullshit. Cameras spying on Walt and Jesse at Jesse's house? And Gus knew Jesse had ricin and kept it in his cigarette pack? I think this is taking a lot of liberty with a SWAG. No one knew about the ricin but Walt and Jesse. None of this makes sense.

This now reminds me of how the X-Files would just blow off an incredible story with a piss poor ending that did nothing to explain what you just saw. Just a bunch of great twists that make no sense then the show would end and nothing was explained, this is what turned me against the X-Files. Sorry, bad episode, poor plot tonight. Very disappointing!

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

Gus would poison a child without a doubt, especially to get Jesse on his side against Walt, whom he needs to get out of the way with Jesse's consent. He uses them as couriers and has no problem threatening Walt's family. I thought Brock might have gotten into Jesse's cigarettes.

I'm as annoyed with Hank's "Spidey" sense as I am with Gus'. Plus, the way he treated Steve was without cause. If they had found something w/o a warrant it couldn't have been used in the investigation, so making an unscheduled pit stop is not a good idea and Hank should have known that. And not put Steve in that situation.

Walt, Walt, Walt, please keep a lower profile. Your glasses could have been your give away. When would Walt's glasses have been out of his sight to have cameras put in them? When they got fixed after his and Jesse's fight?

I love how this show has a slow burn as shown by the great scene with Skyler getting the cigarette and the sun going down - all of them waiting for what they know but have no clue about what's coming.

Enough with the purple in Marie & Hank's home.