The Jeremy Kyle Show (US)

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

I was flipping through the channels the other day and stumbled over this mess. Some self-righteous British guy lecturing and berating the troubled souls who come on his show for reasons I don't completely understand. The show struck me as very unnecessary, we already have Maury and Steve Wilkos.

pandora spock

pandora spock

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

He's the Simon Cowell of daytime tv.

canuck027

canuck027

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

Is Kyle from The U.K.?
Thought I heard an Aussie accent...

ButterflyBandit

ButterflyBandit

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 8:46 AM

I actually really like his show. He doesn't come off as a *total* douche bag and acknowledges both good and bad things about his guests (unlike Steve Wilkos, who is pretty much in HULKSMASH! mode all the time). Like, that guy who was on the other day, the one who married the woman with the disabled son? He called him out on being a jerk with anger management issues (and, that comment about JK's jugular? Not cool, dude), but also made the wife agree that she could spend more time focusing on their marriage. I think he's fair, or at least tries to be. He can veer towards condescending and comes off obnoxious at times, but for the most part, there's balance.

I also like that his show is more traditional in terms of style and presentation.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

Oh you poor, poor people, having this inflicted upon you...he's a strong reason why I detest daytime t.v in the UK and would rather work than take sick days!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

Where or when is the show on. Not familiar with it at al? Curious, however.

AStarling

AStarling

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

I'm on the other side of the fence from Wee S. Jeremy Kyle is the reason to take sick days off work. My guilty pleasure. His favourite catchphrases are "why don't you put something on the end of it?" and "here's Graham with the all-important lie detector results." He also favours "have you got a job (and if not, why not)?" and "do you smoke marijuana?"

I loves me some Jezza.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

Where or when is the show on. Not familiar with it at al? Curious, however.

It's syndicated. It comes on the CW affiliate at 10:00 am in my area. Here's the affiliate list.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 5:23 PM

Thank you for the link/info.

I am in Canada and I don't believe it is available in my viewing area.

ayajedi2

ayajedi2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

I guess that I am in the minority but I actually like this show. He tends to call it like he sees it or maybe like how I see it. I am glad that he calls his guests out on their loutish or immoral behaviour whereas if they had been on another talk show, they would have been mollycuddled.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

This show is growing on me, I have to admit. It does seem like even though Jeremy does berate the guests, the show does pay lip service to getting the guests real help.

Today's episode was a drug addicted daughter who signed over the custody of her first two kids to her mother. The daughter made a lot of mistakes, and wasn't let off the hook, but it turned out her mother was not the saint the mom, or the show, made herself out to be in the beginning. There were no completely good or bad guys, just a real life situation that needed to be remedied some how. I thought it was refreshing.

bellcurve

bellcurve

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 3:26 AM

Here's hoping Jeremy Kyle has a long shelf life in the USA. I love the hilariously trashy, dance-inspired theme song and the politically incorrect topics in yellow gold, all caps that lead into the show from commercial break.

"I'M NOT HER DAD. SHE LOOKS MEXICAN!"

"DON'T BECOME A WOMAN."

"MY DAUGHTER'S NOT A LESBIAN."

"IS MY GIRLFRIEND SLEEPING WITH HER BROTHER?"

Take everything you love about Maury, classic Springer, Ricki Lake, Steve Wilkos and put them together with a British Accent and you have Jeremy Kyle. In many ways, Jeremy Kyle is a throwback to 90's talk shows.

And Maury is just SO stale and tired. It's time to anoint a new king of the trashy talk show.

JBody

JBody

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Anyone still watching?

The mother on today's show (taped 9 March 2012 aired 16 March 2012) has to be one of the worst mothers I've ever had the displeasure of watching onscreen. Nothing was her fault! Yes, she told her now 30-year old daughter when she was a child that her father had died in a gruesome car accident (not true) but it wasn't her fault! I also liked how she uprooted her children to move 3 states over and in with an ex-con in a trailer park on a whim. Also not her fault. The upshot to all this is her daughter still doesn't know who her father is... The mother was all deflection all the time and played the victim to the very last scene. I felt so bad for her daughter but was happy to hear she hadn't spoken to her in 2 years (before this show) so here's hoping she cuts her off again and keeps the grandchildren away from this toxic human being.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

Today, I caught my very first Jeremy Kyle episode (usually I flip past). It was "I let my husband sleep with other women", and though the title suggested something much more harmonious, the scenario was actually much worse. The husband was a douche bag who wanted to sleep around, so that part was true, but the wife set him up with a friend of hers who pretended to fall in love with him. Problem is, he proposed to her, and suggested they elope. The two women brought him on the show to let him know that it was a joke, and they busted him on national TV. Jeremy Kyle asked them, "So you two lied to him, to make him feel special, and wanted to humiliate him on national TV?"

The women said, "Yes!"

JK yelled (at the man), "HA!"

But as soon as it got funny, it went down the drain. The man went backstage and pouted. JK asked the man where he would go, and he said he didn't know. Then the wife turned on the friend, as if she hadn't just asked the friend to pull this stunt, and said she wanted her husband back. Then the husband came in, and announced since he had full custody of their kids, he was taking them elsewhere. The wife asked, "Well, then why did you let the kids live with me?" He sounded stupid about, "Well, I was going to be nice, but...."

I really hope this isn't how it always goes. Sure, it's nice to not have clear-cut victims and villains, but that was just a mess.

ayajedi2

ayajedi2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I have been a fan of this show since I was in the UK. I find it sad, judgmental, hilarious, full of drama with stupid people...just the way I like it! I like the host he calls it like he sees it and says out loud what I have been thinking.
Today was the case of the open marriage complete with best friend undercover goings on, internet hookups. several children, douchebag husband, slapping onstage.....PHEW!! I feel so sorry for the children. Jeremy read everyone involved the riot act.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I really love this show, its a relatively new addiction. I love his biting accent, he makes Dr. Phil look like a pussy cat! Its a little Maury-ish at times, with the physical violence, etc. but its very entertaining to watch.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

The Jeremy Kyle show to end at the end of this season.

I'm a little disappointed, it was a nice little guilty pleasure for me, but I always doubted anyone was watching. Guess I was right.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

I liked the episode today, in which a man was not only being verbally abusive to his children's mother, but claimed 2 of their kids weren't his. He was a 6'4"+ giant of a man, and his children's mother was average height, average weight. Jeremy was trying to talk to him, but the guy kept doing that move of staring down his nose at Jeremy, trying to be intimidating. Jeremy then climbed onto a chair, and looked him directly in the eye and asked him why big guys like him always pick on women.

The big giant of a man then claimed his children's mother was abusing him. But only after Jeremy hopped up on a chair.

ETA: Sorry it's not coming back.

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Cancelled? Shame. I was hoping you'd keep him away from the UK for a bit. I suppose it was too much to ask after you've already done similar with Piers Morgan.

film noire

film noire

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

Before this show disappears forever, I wanted to confirm that my husband and I are not the only viewers who have noticed several repeat audience members, top three repeats being The Hat Lady (I am convinced one of her hats was actually an inverted bee's nest), the somber young man trying to look Byronic, the woman who looks like a perfect contender for Rupaul's Drag Race (a compliment in my book) with dark hair parted down the middle, a long nose, very strong face and Adam's apple (and a handful of others as well).  Did the show pay them? Did they shoot seventeen gazillion shows a day and use the same audience over & over? Or did they love Jezza so much they never left the studio -- sleeping in shifts until he once again entered and bowed like a flirty French parlor maid, Mr Saucy Butt himself -- because I don't get it (I'd feel such a sense of humiliation being caught in the audience once, never mind multiple times).

Also, Janet? SHAME ON YOU.

Edited to add: I'll miss several jezzies ("It's a big day for Tiffani! Please welcome her to the Jeremy

Kyle Show!") but the single jezzie I'll miss most of all has to be, "This. Is not. About you. This. Is

about. The CHILDren!" (honorary mention goes to "And THAT'S what the Jeremy Kyle show is all

about!" -- because that's NOT what the show was ever about -- but god bless his relentless, GlenGarry

Glen Ross sales technique; he always felt a bit like a cult leader whose flock were forever logy on too

many carbs, no matter how he tried to whip them up.)

Edited by film noire, Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:55 AM.