irishchik

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Series 1-4 are also on hulu.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

Man, talk about tension. Was catching up on a backlog of "Adam-12" on the DVR and just watched the episode where Malloy jumped in the car to chase a crook while Reed was handling a guy on foot. Malloy went off the road and his car crashed down the hill and in the woods. The radio was on the fritz before the crash and didn't work after either, and Malloy broke his leg (which he splinted with his shotgun) and was suffering internal bleeding.

Finally a different crook came along and took Malloy's guns and left him to die. Now even though I knew that Malloy was going to make it safely through the episode, I was still actually genuinely worried about him!

irishchik

irishchik

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

I watched that episode last weekend! It was tense! Malloy giving Reed an "atta boy" when he contradicted the Sergeant and calling him "partner" was a nice touch. Good ep.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

Yeah, Malloy also playfully called Reed a "stubborn jerk" when he was looking for him.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

Happy birthday Kent McCord!!!

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Wow, some serious time-warpy-type stuff on this show lately.

In a recent episode, Malloy and Reed pull over a car that was swerving to the point it almost caused a collision. The driver was found to be sauced to the gills. Instead of arresting him, Malloy suggests his wife take the wheel. She goes to get out of the car, and falls flat on her face; she's drunk, too. Again, instead of making arrests, the hammered couple is put in the squad car for a lift home. The cops chuckle as they do so. The whole thing is played for laughs.

In another ep, the n-word was bleeped out. It wasn't used as a pejorative, as such, but by a gang member derisively referring to himself. Still, kind of casually tossed out, and bleeped. Was that common back then? I assume it wasn't bleeped when it ran back in 1970. 

Also, in the ep where Reed's wife had a baby: Reed shows up for work with a roll of dimes for phone calls to the hospital, and they're constantly searching for phone booths; they don't know the sex of the baby until it's born, this was 1969, remember!; and you read correctly, Reed was working while his wife was in the hospital having their first baby. Not only was he not in the delivery room, he was on the job!

It's also always fun to see the scenes filmed outdoors in late 60s/early 70s LA. This show is a time capsule in so many different ways!

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

I can remember T.V. in 1970.The only N word was negro. It was a few years later that negro became an insult. I remember a drunk driving with fatalities on Dragnet where the perpetrator got a slap on the wrist. After a second incident with fatalities he got a suspended sentence because he lost his legs

Edited by taiko, Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:26 PM.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 6:50 PM

A forum on previously.tv has been start for Adam 12.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 3:08 PM

I love the time capsule aspect of this and Dragnet (also Emergency, but I'm just old enough to remember more of that time.) It's astonishing how much both the technology and the role of the police have changed. Also things like them wearing their hats, and wearing dressier shoes (I often wondered how they were able to run so fast in those!) They knew the names of the business owners and residents in their district. No bars or barriers in the cars, and they often walked away from the car with the windows down. You'd never see that now!

LoveTVClassics

LoveTVClassics

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

When I was in junior high I wanted to become a police officer because of Adam 12.  There is an episode in which a woman trainee shows up and it's quite a time warp too! 

Reading the My Three Sons thread recently, I wondered why I have no memory of the last couple of seasons.  I googled and found that My Three Sons was on against Adam 12 for a couple of years.  Since we only had one TV and no way to record anything, watching Adam 12 precluded watching My Three Sons.  I don't remember whether it was my parents or I who chose which to watch.  Even if you waited for reruns, since they filmed many more episodes per season then, they could only rerun a few in the summer.

I didn't watch Dragnet when it first aired, but years later in reruns.  So I can't help but think of the L.A. police department as Colonel Potter's second career after coming home from Korea :). 

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:04 PM

When I was in junior high I wanted to become a police officer because of Adam 12.  There is an episode in which a woman trainee shows up and it's quite a time warp too! 

That had to be in the second half of Adam-12's run. At the beginning women where not on unrestricted patrol duties our resident LAPD adviser Snowprince may know but I think it was about 1972 when that happened. I do remember a back door pilot with Frank Sinatra Jr and Sharon Gless playing an ex LAPD officer who became a DA's investigator because women's assignments were restricted. Sharon Gless also showed up on Emergency as an undercover LA County Deputy Sheriff who so impressed Firefighter Gage.

LoveTVClassics

LoveTVClassics

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:09 PM

Reading back through the discussion, I did read that once that the show was very inexpensive to produce because Jack Webb was notoriously frugal.  They had minimal rehearsals because he got cue cards produced so they wouldn't have to spend time memorizing all their lines.

I think it might have been Barry Williams who wrote about this, since he appeared on Dragnet pre-Brady.  And he was on Adam-12 as well!  In fact when I first saw Adam-12 on Me-TV after all these decades, it was the Barry Williams episode.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

I think it was about 1972 when that happened. 

You're correct, Taiko. The first women, or "skirts" as they were then known were assigned to the academy for field certification in mid 1973 and were deployed to patrol divisions as the first female patrol officers. They were the first female officers to wear pants and the male "barracks cover" hat. Prior to that females wore skirts and carried a black handbag/purse with a built in holster for their weapons.

http://lapd.com/news..._women_in_lapd/

Edited by snowprince, Apr 3, 2014 @ 2:33 PM.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 12:31 PM

That had to be in the second half of Adam-12's run.

The one I remember had Joann Pflug come into the division and partner with Reed when Malloy was on desk duty.  I think she may been in patrol in another division alreay, I don't recall the details.  According to IMBD, that episode aired in 1975, so it fits with snowprince's timeline.