Adam 12: One Adam 12…One Adam 12…

• Please log in to reply

74 replies to this topic

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

Do not know if there is another thread for Adam 12.

Imo, Adam 12 and Emergency are the two best shows from the 60s and 70s.

Btw will Shout ever come out with Season 6 and 7.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

ITA with you about those two shows. And in both, I had a crush on the dark haired partner- Johnny Gage and Jim Reed.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 2:49 PM

Randy Mantooth currently has a recurring role as a tribal chief in Sons of Anarchy.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

According to the amazon website Season 6 will be coming out on January 17, 2012 and it is available for pre-order.

Got my pre-order in and now will patiently wait for January.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 9:36 PM

If you get AntennaTV, they are showing this weekday afternoons and Saturday nights. What a blast from the past - I had (and still have, if I'm honest) such a crush on Kent McCord.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Season 7 will be out on April 10th.

Got my pre-order in on Amazon.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Saw one today where Malloy's driver's license expired and he had to let Reed drive. Very cute.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Saw one today where Malloy's driver's license expired and he had to let Reed drive. Very cute.

That episode gives a new meaning to back seat driver. *lol*

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I'm not sure if I'd classify this show as one of the best of its time but I loved it then and still love it now. This show would get laughed off the screen today but I find it so simple and to the point.

McCord was definitely the cute one. At the time I had no idea that Milner was a veteran of movies. I wonder if this show and Dragnet were considered cheap to produce. Seriously, the clothing and set design budgets were practically nil.

Speaking of Dragnet, I am totally digging the repeats on Antenna TV. I find myself laughing at the whole "just the facts, ma'am" concepts. Harry Morgan's comedic chops were evident. I know Jack Webb was the guiding force behind these two shows and I know he did a film called "The D.I." where he played a drill instructor in the Marines. Was he a military man?

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Speaking of Dragnet, I am totally digging the repeats on Antenna TV. I find myself laughing at the whole "just the facts, ma'am" concepts. Harry Morgan's comedic chops were evident. I know Jack Webb was the guiding force behind these two shows and I know he did a film called "The D.I." where he played a drill instructor in the Marines. Was he a military man?

No I don't believe he spent a long time in the military. He was also in "Sunset Blvd"and my favorite "-30-" a newspaper drama and far better than "The DI".
But the most fun is that Sirius/XM plays the radio Dragnet and Webb's two other series "Pat Novak for Hire" and Jeff Regan, Investigator".

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

Jack Webb enlisted in the Army Air Corps during WWII but washed out of pilot training.

This was a pretty good show in it's day, much better than the 1990-91 reboot. As a retired LAPD cop, I can't help but compare/contrats Adam-12 with today's Southland............what a diffeence a few decades makes.

Edited by snowprince, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:59 AM.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

But Adam-12 and Dragnet is the way I'd want cops to be. And I know for years Adam-12 was used as a training tool at the academy (Police Procedures class in high school).

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:02 AM

the clothing and set design budgets were practically nil.

IIRC, Jack Webb wore the same houndstooth jacket in most of the Harry Morgan shows so they could do shots for multiple episodes (especially the typical questions and reactions) in one go.

Casual Dragnet fans may not be familiar with the comedy record "St. George & The Dragonet" by Stan Freberg. It was made when Dragnet was a hot property on radio in the early 50s. It's on youtube.

Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

One interesting piece of trivia about Adam-12 (well, to me anyway). The dispatcher on the show was an actual LAPD dispatcher that they would have come in.

I liked Jim Reed, but my 10-year-old self was deeply in love with Pete Malloy. Besides Pete was available and I have rules about married men!

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I find it interesting on Adam 12 and Emergency had one happily married man and one girl chasing do not want to get married man as the two main characters.

I still have a crush on Jim and Pete.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

As a retired LAPD cop, I can't help but compare/contrats Adam-12 with today's Southland............what a difference a few decades makes.

But some things never change. I was watching my Adam-12 DVDs one cold, wet Saturday recently (the first or second season) and at morning roll call, the Watch Commander was talking about "Officer Presence" which Pete and Jim then discussed during their patrol. The episode ended with a shoot out in a warehouse, where Pete ended up holding the suspects at gunpoint until Jim got to him and could cuff them. Only then did Pete reload his revolver - having fired all his rounds during the shootout. His "Officer Presence" was all he had to stop the suspects at that point. I remembered we discussed the same thing in the SL thread a while back when it came up in an episode there.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I remember it as "command presence" but Pete did put on that hard face. I guess that situation is one advantage of not having a slide lock open.

When the two survived being taken to The Onion Field was another stand out episode for me, probably more for the actual events, the novel and movie

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I liked Jim Reed, but my 10-year-old self was deeply in love with Pete Malloy. Besides Pete was available and I have rules about married men!

I used to watch Adam-12 re-runs with my baby sitter. And I had a huge crush on Pete Malloy too. I've been able to watch the episodes on Antennae tv and....yep.....Pete Malloy is still # 1!

BTW, for the Dragnet fans, Jack Webb is a better radio/voice actor than live action, imo. Google "The Big Broadcast, WAMU American University" if you want to listen to the radio series on a weekly basis. They just started season 2 of it last week.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

As a retired LAPD cop, I can't help but compare/contrats Adam-12 with today's Southland............what a difference a few decades makes.

I just saw a Dragnet where Sgt Friday was on an interview show explaining the height requirements of the era. I've been noticing while they don't come off as body builders like Cooper on Southland Reed and Malloy generally tower over anyone except when they had to go hand to hand with the giant stuntmen I recognized as professional wrestlers from the Olympic Auditorium and roller derby skaters

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

The one episode where Pete supposely got a little too rough with the child molester suspect.

I thought it was mild compared to what certain law enforcement officers did back then.

I do not know how officers can keep themselves from really hurting creeps like that.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Happy birthday Pete. Martin Milner is 81 today.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

When the two survived being taken to The Onion Field was another stand out episode for me, probably more for the actual events, the novel and movie

I saw that ep and immediately thought of "The Onion Field" but was it based on that particular event or a subsequent one? Jim & Pete had a much happier ending of course, which made me wonder if it wasn't based on a different case.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

They did put on the "names have been changed" disclaimer, not as prominent as on Dragnet however. I figure it was The Onion Field, they just couldn't change the stars of the show since it was not Law & Order with the interchangeable cast. Although I just saw an episode at the end of the run where Malloy was the acting Watch Commander and Reed was taking an ex Marine "boot" out. Mark Harmon/Jethro Gibbs was playing the probie, or boot as Southland has taught us is LAPD slang.

Edited by taiko, Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:16 AM.

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

I noticed on todays 2 eps on Antenna TV that Pete did not have his stripes. I figured these were S1 eps b/c the ending credits were different. Was there ever an ep where Pete actually got his stripes?

Of course one of the fun things about watching this and Dragnet is seeing pre-famous actors. Today I saw Karen Black as a victim of an attempted break in who was trying to induce Pete to get to know her better while Reed tried to convince her to take one of his new puppies. Funny.

I also spotted a Lookinland brother. I think it was Mike but he looked a tad older so it may have been his bro Todd. (How weired is it that I know bro's name?) Also a younger Foster Brooks.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 7:34 AM

You could see in the last Jack Webb Dragnet edition and in Adam-12 that the LAPD was going through reorganization in the late 60s. The detective divisions were changing and the HQ was renamed Parker Center. I am guessing in the early years there was no PO II rank and insignia for more senior beat cops like Malloy. By the 70s with team policing being a new initiative. Malloy was the senior lead officer and acting watch commander at times.

It was weird watching the SWAT episode when today we know SWAT comes from the special Metro Division and they are all experienced officers. But when Webb introduced the world to them, before the SLA shootout when we really found out about them, there was still the rookie Reed as a SWAT team member.

Lone Republican

Lone Republican

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

I'm enjoying seeing this show and Dragnet back-to-back. I remember reading a complaint about Adam 12 in the day that it covered too many stories, because the vaunted Dragnet only covered one at a time.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

I noticed on todays 2 eps on Antenna TV that Pete did not have his stripes. I figured these were S1 eps b/c the ending credits were different.

They were season 2 or 3 episodes. In season 1, you'll note that LAPD still featured the 8 point hats and gold buttons on the pocket flaps/epaulets and gold name tags. The transition to smooth round hats and silver buttons/name tags was in 1970, along with rank insignia for officers below the rank of sergeant. You'll also note that when Malloy gets his P-III+1 chevrons, MacDonald is promoted to Sgt-II (staff sergeant).

Edited by snowprince, Feb 12, 2013 @ 7:12 PM.

luvdave

luvdave

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

And in both, I had a crush on the dark haired partner- Johnny Gage and Jim Reed.

I was SUCH a Gage/Mantooth pre-teen girl! Those were my favorite Saturday nights after Treasure Hunt.

A couple of my faves were 1) the ep where Johnny was bitten by a snake; and 2) when he fell for one of his rescues and was stopped from proposing when he found out she had 3 kids. I just wanted something to stop the engagement!

I appreciate Adam-12 more now as an adult. I just need to find it again after I seem to have lost my Retro TV channel.

Edited by luvdave, Feb 12, 2013 @ 8:52 PM.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 5:20 AM

if you can get Antenna Tv, they show it

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

I miss watching Adam 12 and Emergency on TV Land.