Long Island Medium: Carmela Soprano Does Readings AND Ziti

• Please log in to reply

404 replies to this topic

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

misterbfd, thank you for your information. I still think Theresa nails it plenty of times, but I do see a lot of what you have described.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that she probably does have a degree of psychic ability but I TOTALLY see tons of these cold reading techniques just as you have described them, misterbfd.

The Mighty Peanut

The Mighty Peanut

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I've been to a psychic who described to me in great detail the bedspread I had as a little girl. Vine covered and decorated by fairies with multicolored hair (Herself the Elf, for other 80s children). She also mentioned a family member of mine was in trouble for shoplifting. We don't have the same last name or live in the same state, and she didn't know my name before I got there so she couldn't have done an extensive background check.

However. There was a TON of cold reading in addition to that. For example, she commented on the boots I was wearing and asked me if I liked 1970s era fashion. I said no but I was born in 1979. The reading starts and the first thing she says is, "I keep seeing the number 32". I actually said to her, yeah, you're probably thinking that since I just told you my birth year. I also noticed that when she talked about the beyond she got into great, great detail, but when it came down to things that could actually be proved, she'd do exactly what the poster here described -- "Are you completely satisfied in your marriage?" "No." "Yes, I'm seeing frustration there."

Anyway...I do think there are things beyond our understanding that some people can see, and I think Theresa can see them. But in between there's a whole lot of fluff. What I'd really love to see is a psychic who can tell me what color underwear I have on, or ask my spirit guides what number I'm thinking of, mundane things like that. Not some grand divine plan that's taking place for me on the other side.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:42 AM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

misterbfd, thank you for your information. I still think Theresa nails it plenty of times, but I do see a lot of what you have described. I appreciate you taking your time to respond. I will keep a look out for the tricks.

Shows like this have a major benefit over live cold readings: editing. I guarantee you that if I could edit my cold reading sessions I'd done, I'd nail specifics right out of the box every single time -- because I'd have them edit out the probing, information gathering questions or the flat "no" responses and just keep the best stuff.

On a lighter note, I do find Theresa's hairdo interesting!

Perhaps one day I will transcribe an episode of "Long Island Medium" and see if I can point out her techniques using an actual word-for-word listing of what she said and the context. I will not have access to all the missed stuff they edit out, of course.

Here's a video of Van Praagh screwing up a cold reading big time. Since I've shared with you some of the techniques, note how he uses them and how badly he bungles the whole thing (he even goes with the "M" name for a woman, with "Mary" being the most common female first name by a very large margin: Mary, Maria, Margaret in that order, all in the top 10 female names, and Van Praagh goes right for Mary and Margaret).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t07UzTcApMI

And yet people believe this guy has some kind of powers. He gets as much right as anyone could get right by simple random chance guessing. His cold reading technique in this video is just awful.

Persnickety13

Persnickety13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Thanks for that clip, MisterBFD. I love the way the Aussie folks had their poker faces on while he stumbled about trying to bullshit them, LOL!

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:40 AM

And yet people believe this guy has some kind of powers. He gets as much right as anyone could get right by simple random chance guessing. His cold reading technique in this video is just awful.

I found this video of Theresa on Anderson Cooper - unedited! Didn't watch the whole thing (very long), but it's clear in the first reading that she's using plenty of cold reading tricks. She sure doesn't score as neatly here as on her heavily scripted and edited show!

http://www.andersonc...erson-audience/

(sorry, can't isolate the video, so posted the link to the site. It's the first video you see)

ETA: Alright, I watched the whole 25 minutes and, man, she was 60% wrong at the very least. The last reading with the mom and daughter was just awful.

Also, in one of the episodes this week, Theresa is with a client at home, and she asks her about a handkerchief that belonged to her dad or something. Don't remember exactly, but the client says something about a handkerchief with the words "I Love You" embroidered on it. Well, Theresa then holds up the pad of paper she writes on to show the client she had just scribbled "I love you" moments earlier. But then Theresa gasps and says "OMG, I just got chills" ... and I was thinking, errm, why? Why does that give you chills, Theresa, when all day long you are bombarded by messages from departed spirits? Hmmm, that was very telling. She freaked herself out because she got something right, for a change, without it being a product of her cold reading. Yeah.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I wonder if some of the cold reading stuff is to some extent unconscious? In other words the person doing the reading not realizing what they are getting from brainstorming the details they just asked, which can seem like intuition; vs. the flashes they get from out of left field that are accurate.

There are definitely some scammers out there, in any field where there is money to be made. But I think some might have good intentions but also when flailing go with their gut instinct which is often a mix of info just gleaned and creative guessing. I mean what if you don't get anything and you're sitting there most of that hour giving them one piece of bona fide info? What do you do with the other 50 minutes?

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I don't know, I'm torn on the subject of Theresa. I really want to believe in her, but I am noticing that a lot of what she gets right is probably a result of the cold reading techniques described by misterbfd. Like asking a room full of people who've shown up for a group reading who knew a young man that passed is nothing spectacular. What are the odds that someone in that room doesn't fit that category? And walking up to a woman at that meeting wearing an old looking pearl necklace over a T shirt and asking "what's with the necklace?" - Well, duh, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.

Every once in a while she gets a specific detail right that seems out of the blue. Like knowing someone's name or the name of the movie they were thinking of. I don't know, I just can't fully believe that she just gets those things right with no background knowledge at all. I just think the people don't realize how much they're giving her to go on. Like perhaps there was a shelf with DVDs on it full of gangster movies. I am sure the show edits out some of the more probing questions that make a person give away a lot of information without realizing it. And if she goes to their house, that's a lot of information right there.

Knowing someone's name, like asking someone "Who's Denise?" Well, Gee, even I've known a Denise somewhere along the line. She's not dead, but if I were to say, "I was friends with a Denise in high school", then Theresa might say, "Is her father passed or other male relative? Well, he wants to give her a message." Well, what are the odds that given that I'm in my mid 50s that my friend's father, grandfather or uncle is passed? I just think she goes with whatever people tell her. If they say, "It's my friend from High School", she agrees with them. If they say, "It's my mother", she agrees with them. Then all of a sudden everything she comes out with is about a mother, or whoever the person says it was. Heck, even I could do that and amaze everyone!

Also, I was liking the kids up until this week when Victoria pushed to get a car and her father got her what looked like a brand new BMW SUV. Hello, spoiled brat! I mean, there wasn't even any effort made to make it look like she'd have to get a job to help pay for it, or go work in that soup kitchen they showed a few weeks back to become a more giving person and even out the scales somewhat. I'm having less respect for Theresa and her husband as parents over this, sorry. Now every high school kid that watches this show is going to expect their parents to just give them a brand new car.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Like knowing someone's name or the name of the movie they were thinking of. I don't know, I just can't fully believe that she just gets those things right with no background knowledge at all.

People who don't claim psychic ability are able to do the same thing. If the movie is commonly known and someone gave hints like that woman did Goodfellas would be on the top of the list of movie names to toss out due to the accent and way the woman acted.

I suggest people read http://en.wikipedia....e_Psychic_Mafia in which a medium details how he swindled people.

Despite the medium being very bad he managed to have thousands of people believe he was a medium who was communicating with their dead relatives.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Knowing someone's name, like asking someone "Who's Denise?" Well, Gee, even I've known a Denise somewhere along the line.

If a cold reader takes a stab like that and it doesn't register, they turn a miss into a hit.

CR: "Who is Denise?"
SUB: "Denise? I don't know a Denise. My grandson's name is Dennis. Could that be it?"
CR: "Yes, yes. You said his name is Dennis?"
SUB: "Yes."
CR: "Yes, that's what I'm seeing."

The cold reader brushes aside the miss and gets past it as quickly as possible then ensures that the word "Yes" is repeated in order to reinforce in the subject's mind that they actually got it right. Later the subject won't remember the mistake but will recall that the CR accurately named the grandchild Dennis.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Here's a video of Van Praagh screwing up a cold reading big time. Since I've shared with you some of the techniques, note how he uses them and how badly he bungles the whole thing (he even goes with the "M" name for a woman, with "Mary" being the most common female first name by a very large margin: Mary, Maria, Margaret in that order, all in the top 10 female names, and Van Praagh goes right for Mary and Margaret).

I knew he was a fraud, but man, this is embarrassing.

I've researched cold reading extensively (even took classes on it for fun), and while I do believe there are people out there with this unique gift (a very small amount, a handful), I really don't believe Theresa is one of them.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

and while I do believe there are people out there with this unique gift (a very small amount, a handful),

The problem is if indeed the ability is real or other psychic abilities such as telepathy, telekinesis the percentage of people with it would be incredibly small. Also such people wouldn't think they have the ability due to it being very subtle. Any genuine telepath, telekinetic with an on demand reliable way to use the powers would either be part of a beyond top secret program or keep it under wraps.

A few novels, etc that have such abilities be real have the people with psychic abilites found not by having people come forward but by looking for things such as say a an insurance agent who was able to determine fraudulent claims by an incredibly high margin and then investigate the agent to see if he was either just brilliant at the job, using trickery such as causing the claims to be fraudulent, or had a genuine psychic ability.

So no call me skeptical but anyone calls them self a medium smacks of fraud if they genuinely claim to contact dead people and ask for cash for the readings.
If they just did it as a carny trick and asked for money if the people had a good time doing it I wouldn't have an issue with it.

kitmerlot

kitmerlot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

My mother watches this show and starts crying whenever Theresa tells someone about a dead loved one. I try not to scoff because she enjoys the show, but I have to ask, if Theresa truly has this gift, why isn't she helping to find missing kids or helping to get justice for unsolved murder victims? KInd of like on the show Medium?

What I find the most amusing are Theresa's interactions with her family. She says that the daughter Victoria has to work for gas money and they show the kid complaining about having to do a couple of measly jobs that she either gets help from or screws up and Theresa gives her the money anyway. How about encouraging the daughter to get an actual part time job where she'll see what real work entails?

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Yeah, Victoria getting a BMW SUV at 16 before she even has her license is quite gross to me. Then the thing with the gas money really put me over the edge. Not cute at all.

And yet again Theresa gets freaked out by something that should be no biggie for her. So, the tape stopped in the middle of a reading - why the drama? If she's so intimate with "Spirit", then nothing ought to give her chills. It should be de rigueur at this point.

I have to say, though, when she pulls things out of thin air, it is quite freaky. Like that bit with the pocket watch hidden in the couch. Don't know how she does that - maybe good intuition.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Theresa: Spirit is telling me that you and your husband are turning your daughter into a spoiled entitled little bitch.

How's that for using my psychic ability?

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

I like Theresa and her husband but my GOD are they raising a helpless brat in Victoria. The girl can't even book a few appointments and clean out a bowl without bitching about it and screwing it up? Oy!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

The stuff with the daughter drove me to post in this topic again. I hope that's just Show. I mean come on! She can't make a couple of phone calls, at her age? She whines and demands and in general is the embodiment of "entitled teen" that is so epidemic these days, and she is rewarded for it?! That isn't doing the child a favor. That's BUYING her favor.

Once she gets out in the real world, or has a real adult relationship, they won't be so charmed by whining, begging, demanding, and feeling "gimme" because she is just HER. She also won't know how to cook, clean, pay a bill or take care of herself whatsoever.

Don't be her friend. Be her parent!

Gaaahhh.

Oh and...if Theresa came into my place of business and told an employee that she had a termination in front of the entire workplace and all of the viewing public I not only WOULD throw her out as he joked about doing, I'd probably sue her for violation of privacy as well. That shit just isn't cute.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

I caught a couple minutes of this a couple times over the past few days and yikes.

First - what the ever living fucking hell is with her nails? They look like the giant fake nails the person at the salon puts on before they cut them down or shape them or whatever, but just left all giant and ludicrous looking. I realize her entire look is low rent but that was bizarre.

Second, the sad ass cold reading is one thing, whatever, she's a 'psychic.' But the pulling up to the drive through and then, with the cameras outside the car to catch her reaction from the driver's seat, she's all 'did anyone here lose anyone suddenly?' or what have you, then, when the woman looks upset by the revelation, says 'oh, you're her friend, yes, he said that.' Geez and heck, it's like a half-assed nightclub act. She's not even remotely impressive at it; she's blatant.

I think she's fairly reprehensible in general. It's one thing if people want to patronize someone who does this or go to an event or whatever but her apparent habit of wandering up to random strangers all 'your dead relative wants to talk to you,' which I'm sure without the cameras is followed by 'if you just book an appointment for $50/hr., I can tell you the rest of what they said, I have to run right now,' makes me want someone to punch her lights out when she starts up.

As to why she's not out helping the police, because police departments tend to know these people are fakes. For all the claims of psychics helping cops, it really doesn't happen. Families will hire or solicit people, they're desperate and will try anything, who could blame them. Then, when the psychic goes to do whatever at the behest of the family, they say they have information, the family gets the cops to listen and the psychic claims they 'worked with the police.' They don't. Most cops and federal law enforcement will tell you they just don't ever call these people.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

But the pulling up to the drive through and then, with the cameras outside the car to catch her reaction from the driver's seat, she's all 'did anyone here lose anyone suddenly?'

And the time in the drive through dairy window, when Theresa kept 'reading' the worker inside the booth. Cars behind her were honking urgently. Theresa just yelled at them, played victim, and carried on. Did she not think they had to be somewhere else? Maybe pick up a kid at school, or get home for something? Maybe they were on a work break and the clock was ticking?

Maybe the sense of entitlement is all in the family?

Caffeine Free

Caffeine Free

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

Those nails are referred to as "Pink and Whites" here on Long Island. They were the rage about 5 years ago.

AuntieTig

AuntieTig

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

About 10 years ago I was in a rough spot in my life. I was approached in the supermarket by a so called psychic that had a "message" from the other side. She started exactly like Theresa does saying she was a psychic and started asking questions. She started by asking if I was stressed, because apparently my dead mother who met my dead father when she crossed over, told her I was. I was exhausted, circles under my eyes, anybody would know that something was wrong. the non stop battery of questions with the classic "Your mother wants you to know that it is okay that you weren't with her when she died." and then "Everything is going to work out". I thanked her and walked away of course after she gave me her card. When I watch this show I think of that encounter because it is almost what I heard verbatim. And BTW after we parted ways I called my parents, told them what happened and asked why they never told me I was adopted. They found it hilarious.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

She started by asking if I was stressed, because apparently my dead mother who met my dead father when she crossed over, told her I was.

So, as she was firing off the questions about your crossed-over parents, you never once mentioned - oh, by the way, they're alive? LOL!

Well, it's an effective way to drum up business if you've got a charismatic personality. No doubt Theresa hooked a lot of customers doing that in her early days, before the TV deal and 2 year waiting list.

Btw, what does her husband Larry do?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Well, it's an effective way to drum up business if you've got a charismatic personality.

Imagine you bill yourself as a psychic, and you charge $100 for a 30-minute session. Now imagine how much money you could make if your primary marketing method was to randomly approach ten people a day, five days a week and throw some "psychic stuff" at them, and you happen to score a direct "hit" just three or four times out of those fifty?

centraltexas

centraltexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Btw, what does her husband Larry do?

He just retired, I believe he owned a motorcycle shop and sold it.

Her "script" is the same as John Edward's..."just know that is their way of letting you know..." word for word.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

He just retired, I believe he owned a motorcycle shop and sold it.

Her "script" is the same as John Edward's..."just know that is their way of letting you know..." word for word.

Thank you for the reply re Larry.

Never liked John Edwards. He's a fast-talking, shifty-eyed charlatan. Theresa comes off more genuine, which is probably her biggest selling point - ordinary soccer mom who just happens to talk to "spirit". Everyone can relate to her.

Now that I've watched her for awhile, I see some of her standard responses to certain things. The one she uses most (besides "please know that this is their way of acknowledging/validating...") is "Please know that they're telling you it's ok that you weren't there when they passed over. They're telling me they wouldn't be able to pass over if you were there. How could they possibly LEAVE you??" ... and then the person begins to sob softly. I've heard her say that at least 4 times (including in the Anderson Cooper backstage footage that I posted somewhere up-thread).

Do any of you think she actually believes in her own "gift"? or is she just a cynical, calculated scam artist who coldly feeds off people's grief, hope, and vulnerability?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I've been involved in magic in on way or another since I was a teen. I don't know what she believes, but I have seen cold reading mentalists who, after practicing for years, eventually convince themselves that they really do have a "gift" even though they actually are still aware of where they started. They convince themselves that this is indeed a paranormal ability that they have somehow "developed" as an extension of their cold reading skill.

Sad, but true.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I think Theresa believes whole heartedly in what she does. She seems to sincerely want to help people, so I don't believe she is deliberately misleading anyone. However, I'm still skeptical as to her actual abilities.

park914

park914

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I've been enjoying the show! Teresa cracks me up with her dramatic gestures and I love her Long Island accent (I have a NY accent but it's rather diluted after living so many years outside of the northeast). I've watched the Lisa Williams show and used to watch John Edward's show several years ago. Mediums and their "gift" fascinate me. I think Teresa needs to learn how to protect herself from intrusions (Lisa Williams says that's why she often puts a hat on--it cuts off all the voices). I also think Teresa needs to stop with the generalized questions ("who just lost a brother") and wait until she receives more specific info' and then approach the targeted person (in the group settings). She also needs to be very careful what she says in a mixed setting (e.g., this past Sunday night when she was getting her recorder repaired and asked who lost a baby...and was it terminated). Of course, if the young woman in that segment of the show refused to sign a release form they wouldn't have been able to air it, but still...that was a bit dicey IMO.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

she often puts a hat on--it cuts off all the voices

I don't know who Lisa Williams is, but really? A hat?! Is it made from tin foil?
The more I see of this stuff, the more I am convinced misterbfd is right on the money.
More than anything I want to believe that our loved ones are waiting for us somewhere, but I don't believe any of these people can actually communicate with them anymore than I can communicate with butterflies.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I don't know who Lisa Williams is, but really? A hat?! Is it made from tin foil?

Some of what comes out of the mouths of these phonies is priceless! "Wait, I feel intrusions! Let me put on my magic voice-blocking hat!"

And people actually BELIEVE in these people and GIVE THEM MONEY.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I used to watch Lisa Williams, too. Couldn't help but like her, which I'm sure is part of the problem. To be fair, the hat thing was more symbolic of her "learning to turn the voices off" (did the lambs stop screaming, Clarisse?). Much as I'm a skeptic of all things unscientific, I am unabashedly interested in the few shows I've seen where "psychics" work on murder/missing person cases. True, the family often calls them in, but I have seen some stuff that impresses hard-boiled skeptic detectives, and I am almost sucked in. I guess in the long run I want to believe that there is a slim possibility that a very few people DO have something special - whether it is ESP, mind reading, or connection with "spirit" I have no idea. Mentalist tricks don't give, for instance, a lady who talks about a man in a truck with a dog - and nails that it is a 3 legged dog - and the detective confirms him as their secret suspect. Nor does it explain how some can draw eerily accurate renderings of where the body will eventually be found, or name the street and town where the missing kids are living... just baffles and frustrates me that I'm not smart enough to bust their game, I guess.

Full disclosure - I knew a lady a long time ago who had "a gift". She lived in a hovel and explained to me that her power could never be used for personal gain or doing evil - otherwise, it would turn back on her and all she held dearly (paraphrasing and condensing many long discussions). She was a woman with deep moral and spiritual ethics, and I was young and impressionable at the time; still, I thought I saw magic. I just don't think Carmela Soprano is on the same plane.

edited because my "B" key sticks - probably too much cat hair underneath it!

Edited by walnutqueen, Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.