Long Island Medium: Carmela Soprano Does Readings AND Ziti

• Please log in to reply

404 replies to this topic

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

That being said, I've worked with people with reported psychic abilities. I started out as the world's biggest skeptic - I believed it was all bullshit.

[raises hand] Me too! I am an athiest, purely scientific blah blah blah. I lost my mother 3 years ago after a short hospice stay.

Why do I get a whiff of Werthers at my house when I don't eat candy of any kind and don't have any in the house? It was my mom's favorite.

Why did my nephew smell the candy and then ask me for some?

Why does my tv have Game Show Network on it when I turn it on sometimes? My mom's favorite channel. I never watch that channel. I can go to bed and turn off the tv when it is on our local news station and then the next morning when I turn on the news it is on Game show network.

Why does my 1 year old grand niece keep asking for nana? We always called her grandma but she preferd nana and my grand niece was born 2 years after her death.

I don't know the answers to these questions but it does comfort me and I do smile knowing she may be "hanging around".

Bethh

Bethh

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Yes, jumper sage! My mother died two years ago. I use my iPhone as a light if I get up during the night. On my birthday, six months after her death, I got up at around 3 am to go to the bathroom. I picked up my iphone, turned it on, and went to the bathroom. When I got back to bed I looked at my phone, and I was looking at a picture of my mother! The only way that could have happened was if, somehow, purely by accident, while carrying the phone by my side, I had clicked on "phone", then clicked on "favorites", and then clicked on the tiny arrow next to her name, which brought up her pic and info. That's a lot of coincidences.

I honestly can't say that I believe Theresa is contacting the dead...it sounds crazy. But I also can't honestly say that she isn't.

Edited by Bethh, Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Again, unless she's making it all from one person, I don't see the harm.

What if that 200 dollar reading fee was the family grocery money? No harm then?

Theresa isn't a counselor or a psychiatrist, and there's definately been some tomfoolry comments on her part about things like people being reincarnated into children, etc. I think she means well, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

bellalisa

bellalisa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

She is not contacting the dead! There is a sucker born every minute which is going to make her very, very rich. It is frightening how rich she is going to be and how many people believe this utter nonsense. It makes me sad that she is on TLC and that The Learning Channel is promoting this kind of garbage. It does look unreal what she "knows" but the show is taped and edited and written in advance.

If you watch her cold readings of an audience such as on Live with Kelly and Michael, she was awful - mostly misses but she was able to BS her way out of her mistakes (misses) by moving on quickly to something else, or explained how the spirits were "piggybacking" she asks one lady if she kept the ring or gave the ring away- it HAS to be one or the other! So she acts like she knew the answer in advance. These cold reading techniques are as old as the hills. I wish the public would wake up to how they are being scammed and defrauded. Instead she is filling up arenas with grieving people. But like some have pointed out, it is your right to waste your money on a scammer!

Bethh

Bethh

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

What if that 200 dollar reading fee was the family grocery money? No harm then?

Then shame on that person for wasting the family grocery money! There is such a thing as personal responsibility. A funeral director bilking grieving relatives of a recently departed loved one is despicable. That is definitely preying on people at a very vulnerable moment. People who come to Theresa are not in a moment like that. They have every opportunity to investigate her background and make a decision on whether or not they want to spend their money on what she has to sell.

Felix541

Felix541

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

People who come to Theresa are not in a moment like that.

As depicted on the show. TLC is telling a story. It only helps the ratings to have Theresa be likable and kind. In reality, a lot of the TLC reality stars are a lot different in real life. That we haven't seen someone desperate come to Theresa on the show doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

They have every opportunity to investigate her background and make a decision on whether or not they want to spend their money on what she has to sell.

How do they investigate? What proof does anyone have that Theresa isn't cold reading? Greiving people looking for closer are easily victimized. You're putting all the blame on the victims but where is Theresa's responsibility in this as she takes two hundred dollars from someone who may already be emotionally compromised. And for what? I don't understand how its ok for Theresa to bilk people if it isn't a lot of money she's bilking them for and they sorta like the lies she tells.

She's telling people she can talk to ghosts and takes their money to interprete the ghost chatter. Theresa is partly to blame when her con starts to hurt people.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

She's telling people she can talk to ghosts and takes their money to interprete the ghost chatter. Theresa is partly to blame when her con starts to hurt people.

They seek her out. If it makes them feel better, who cares? It's like holding a bartender to blame when someone spends the next 20 years drinking their grief away.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

I don't hold someone blameless in handing over a ton of money to a psychic, but neither would I think it's morally ok to exploit such a person simply because I can. (One reason I am not a bartender or a drug dealer, I suppose)

There's several ways to handle grief that don't involve handing some psychic 200 dollars to talk to the dead relative in vague terms.

True story - I used to give Tarot readings for five bucks a pop when I was in college. I never claimed to be psychic, my patter was something about interpreting the symbols of the cards - the symbology is pretty interesting. I stopped doing it because while some people would take a card reading as a lark.... some people would *really* take it seriously and getting all "I need to have my cards read because finals are coming!!" and frankly I started to feel bad because it was me cold reading with some knowledge of the cards. My point? People under stress are easily manipulated and don't always make great decisions and its easy to take advantage.

Theresa is promoting herself pretty heavily and she is claiming to have psychic powers. She needs to be aware that say, telling a family that a child is their reincarnated dead aunt, is potentially not a good thing.

I'd like to see her do this - http://www.randi.org...-challenge.html

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

It's like holding a bartender to blame when someone spends the next 20 years drinking their grief away.

In many states it is illegal for a bartender to serve alcohol to an impaired person, and they CAN be held responsible for doing so. Enabling a person's sickness or weakness is not a benign act; doing so for profit? Wandering into huckster territory, along with funeral directors, investment bankers, and self-help gurus, to name just a few (vultures are exempted because they actually serve a purpose!!).

ETA: I knew a woman with "abilities" when I was young & impressionable. She lived off the land in a one room cabin & told me it would be evil to profit in any way from her gift, or to use it for anything but good. A witch with moral mumbo jumbo, but at least she had a compass (and kept her shit to herself, for the most part). Unlike T's blitzkrieg tactic of accosting unsuspecting strangers in public.

Edited by walnutqueen, Oct 17, 2012 @ 9:24 AM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I am curious to know how much Caputo charges for a reading?

According to this blog:
Shelly Frey Blog

She's charging $400 for a 30-minute session. According to several people who have reported seeing her, that amount is accurate. She reportedly charges less than half that amount for a second half hour, meaning a one-hour session probably costs $599.

According to other sites, she's pre-booked for private sessions for the next two years.

If she sees 5 people a day, five days a week, for only one half the year, she's charging poor, vulnerable, unsuspecting people $250,000 for six months of work. Great pay for a fiction writer, wouldn't you say?

"Making thousands" is very different from charging thousands.

She's charging people thousands of dollars. I don't know any way that can be spun to make her seem altruistic, but at $400 for 30 minutes, every five people who see her adds up to $2,000. So yeah, she's charging people thousands of dollars.

Can anyone explain to me why someone who is convinced that there is no such thing as "psychic" ability would even watch this show, let alone comment on it here? I'm sincerely curious.

I don't believe in Bigfoot, either. But I get a kick out of watching shows about people who "investigate" this non-existant creature. I don't believe that UFO's are craft piloted by alien lifeforms (in fact, I know that they're not). But I still like watching programs about people who think they are. I don't believe in ghosts, but watching these silly fake ghost investigation shows are a hoot as well. So, even though I know for a fact that the dead are unable to contact the living, I enjoy watching people who try to pass themselves off as being able to make that connection.

My wife and oldest daughter are currently watching all the seasons of "The Ghost Whisperer" on Netflix right now. Teresa's show is no more real that that show, and at least on "The Ghost Whisperer" Jennifer Love Hewitt's character doesn't charge anyone for availing them of her "gift".

Is she making money off the grief of others? Again, yes. But is that a crime? Or even wrong?

Hell YES, it's wrong. Very, very wrong.

Doctors help people AND make money. Now I'm not saying what Theresa does is the same as what a doctor does, lol, but I don't see why she should not get paid for doing what she does.

How would you feel about a doctor who says: "I'm going to do surgery on you and remove your tumor" and then they put the person under, let them sleep for half an hour and do nothing, then wake them up and say: "Congratulations! I took out your tumor. You're now perfectly healthy"... and the patient goes off, believing that they're cured when in fact the doctor did nothing at all?

Phony mediums do the same thing. They charge real money for vapor. The difference is that if a doctor doesn't take out your tumor, you can prove it by getting a second opinion. Doctor's are licensed and regulated. Doctors are supposed to practice under a code of ethics. Doctors are held to strict standards by governing bodies.

Not mediums.

She has a talent, people want to pay her money for it.

But she advertises her talent in what I believe is an in appropriate way. If she advertised that she would do a reading for you and that it would be based on reading YOU and on her ability to make some good guesses about things that are important to you, and that she in no way was contacting anyone on the "other side"... then at least then people would go into the sessions with eyes wide open.

Again, unless she's making it all from one person, I don't see the harm.

So if I set up a Web site and lie and say that I'm dying and don't have money to pay for surgery and ask for donations of no more than -- let's say -- $50 per person... if I should collect, oh, $250,000 from thousands of people, then there's no harm done?

Is it "no harm done" that Miralus Healthcare sold 5 million tubes of "HeadOn" (apply directly to the forehead) at $8 each, even though the product contained no ingredients whatsoever that have any effect at all in relieving headaches? That any headache relief was due to nothing more than the placebo effect? No harm done, because they sold all of those tubes to a bunch of people and not just a few?

She is not contacting the dead!

Of course she isn't. The living and the dead do not communicate with one another.

And to be very clear, I don't think she's an out-and-out con artist, but it is quite obvious by watching unedited videos of her that she's performing cold reading (and sometimes not very well, at that). I think, like other "mediums" and the like, she's convinced herself that she does have some sort of genuine gift, and she's now just cold reading on autopilot. I also have no doubt that she's CONSCIOUSLY using well-worn phony psychic techniques to "fill in the gaps" when the autopilot isn't going as well as she would hope.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Time to get back to discussing the actual events of the show, please, instead of continuing this circular argument about morality in dealing with the bereaved and whatever else you're talking about. Please remember that the rule here is to make your point once or twice and then move on. The thread isn't here so that you can prove to each other the existence of psychics, or to prove that there's no such thing and they're all con artists. We are supposed to be having a conversation about the show. Not a debate, not a trial, but a conversation. We're not going to declare a "winner" or even come to a consensus, so don't waste your time or thread time pounding your points over and over.

Also, please read or reread the boards on boards rule, because several of you are crossing that line. Other posters aren't the topic here, so don't take people to task for being skeptics and watching, or to criticize people for not seeing the show in the same way you do. It's only TV, and we all have opinions about it, and no one person's opinion is of more value than another. Please keep that in mind as you post. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 17, 2012 @ 1:08 AM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Meadow's prom date was pretty cute, in that thug-prep white boy way. I thought her dress was great from the top, but the bottom just looked off and belonged more to the 80's.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

She's charging $400 for a 30-minute session. According to several people who have reported seeing her, that amount is accurate. She reportedly charges less than half that amount for a second half hour, meaning a one-hour session probably costs $599.

Are you shittin' me?!? How does one learn to be a psychic ... fake, real or otherwise? I could use the money.

Is it "no harm done" that Miralus Healthcare sold 5 million tubes of "HeadOn" (apply directly to the forehead) at $8 each, even though the product contained no ingredients whatsoever that have any effect at all in relieving headaches?

I find it curious that a similar product meant to cure Erectile Dysfunction called "HardOn" didn't work either.

Edited by slasherboy, Nov 6, 2012 @ 1:51 AM.

Mikesgal

Mikesgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 2:24 AM

Okay I will start the posting on this thread again. (I miss it) I loved the episode when Victoria went off to college and cried like a baby. I sent my daughter off to a dorm last year and felt the same way.
I also loved the episode when they talked to past clients. It was interesting to me and I loved how the skeptic who tried to trick her. I was so sad at the couple who lost two children from a genetic disease and went on to have more kids. I was shocked that she got "Brian...Brenden" when the first born child was Brandon Brian. (or something like that) I wanted to know how they knew it was okay to have more children that wouldn't have the same genetic disorder. Anyway- I totally believe her and I think she has too many hits. I don't care what other people say- there are frauds out there but I don't believe she is one. And I truly like Theresa and Larry. I think they are both a hoot. (thier kids are too! )

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Some reruns came on while I was bored so I watched a couple of them. It seemed like the lady in the orange wig and witch costume was pleased with what happened. I thought Theresa got taken for that costume she wore, though. And white isn't her color.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Larry seems so genuine and loving of his family. He seems like a heart on his sleeves kind of guy.

Empressv

Empressv

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

Anyone know if this show is on hiatus or cancelled? I never see it on the tv guide scroll anymore, but that doesn't mean TLC isn't airing it at 3 a.m.

I'm skeptical, but I quite like the show. To me, it's more about the human needs for hope and love than anything else.

LabLover27

LabLover27

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

I use to love this show. Then I saw some article or some news program about it being fake. "Notice she says the same thing, over and over..." I felt it wasn't authentic so I stopped watching. I know.. big surprise. But I really did believe the first episodes I watched. Some were amazing. I liked her, got a kick out of her.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

I know it's probably fake but I WANT to believe it. Plus I really like Theresa as a person. I bet she's fun friend.

suomi

suomi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 4:44 AM

Edited to remove post after I was informed that Teresa is a grifter. Mea culpa.

Edited by suomi, Apr 21, 2013 @ 6:25 PM.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

I think Teresa hits much more often than she misses.

Nah. She's a grifter who had a TV show. If TLC has in fact canceled this show, it's a step in the right direction. They have no business promoting something that takes financial advantage of the gullible. It's irresponsible.

centraltexas

centraltexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

Per TLC website, the show returns May 12th.

centraltexas

centraltexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

New episode tonight, anyone watch it?

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 7:51 AM

It's a shame that this show is back, there is a wealth of information on scifake.com about Caputo.

TLC should burn in hell for renewing and airing this show.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

I watched a part of the show because I was interested in the little boy.  My heart broke when they were telling what happened to his little sister.  I call a BIG BULLSHIT on Theresa about not knowing that his little sister died.  That was just fake.  She knew the "reading" was for a little boy.    The only thing that she really ever says to everyone is:  Your loved one (insert the loved one) is fine, good or whatever word she chooses to use at that moment and know that they are happy.  Each and every time, that is what she tells them!  Like a lot of them, she starts with general questions and statements and then narrows it down then talks about them being happy and they are okay.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

Well, this is where I currently give Theresa some plus points. Yes, she's taking their money, yes its mostly a put on, yes she's telling them what they want to hear...But I haven't seen anyone who seriously looked they couldn't afford the reading, and I don't see Theresa dropping too many horrible bombs on these people. Theresa isn't say, telling the mother of some missing girl that her daughter is dead (at this point if the psychic Sylvia whats her name on the Montell Williams shows your kid is dead, you can pretty much bank your kid is alive)

So yes, its wrong to take money from grieving people just to tell them what they want to hear... but I don't see any of these people being forced to hand over their money. Millions of people manage to avoid getting rooked by a psychic.To a point, if you're an adult, you do have to own your own actions.

centraltexas

centraltexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 11:30 AM

All these people have "crossed over" to a happy place...really? *eyeroll*

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

The saddest story last night (to me, anyway) was the woman whose daughter was murdered.  Heart breaking. The woman who found out she was pregnant (ETA this) a day before her husband's funeral was a close second. From what I see, the people are comforted greatly. The lady with the daughter who was murdered had not been able to do much of anything for two years. If Theresa can help, more power.

Edited by Sleepyhead Case, May 16, 2013 @ 12:43 AM.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Apologizing up front that I enjoy this show and Thereser's family dynamics is a nice plus.  Of course, no "reality" show is real, so I take what I see at face value for entertainment purposes only.  Nobody seems to be harmed by her readings and if someone believes in her talents it can't hurt either.  Gotta say that I loved the daughter's skull design sweater and would love to know where it came from!  I do wish Thereser would get a new "do" and update the talon effect.  Overall, though, she's a whole lot easier to look at than, say, Mama Elsa.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I love Larry!!!  He is the best.  Him on the toilet was hystericle.