Long Island Medium: Carmela Soprano Does Readings AND Ziti

• Please log in to reply

404 replies to this topic

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

On TLC:

A Long Island housewife with The Gift juggles home life and a job as a psychic medium. Her two teenagers and husband put up with a woman whose dearly departed "friends" interfere with everything from grocery shopping to parties with living friends. She also does private readings as well as group parties, but unfortunately has not found the OFF switch. She appears to be channeling Edie Falco most of the time, but we haven't seen the baked ziti yet.

Edited by Glass Ocean, Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:51 AM.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

I watched the first two episodes Sunday night. It made for a nice change of pace for me from my usual Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/Celebrity Ghost Story/My Ghost Story obsession. I liked her. And so far, I'm buying that she's the real deal.

Artemis Lexea

Artemis Lexea

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

Actually, I think it's on TLC.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

Yes, it was on TLC. I just meant that it was a change of pace from my usual paranormal shows, which tend to be all about ghosts. Medium was a newer take, to me. Not so much to Mr. Kitty Bac though!

Emilyanne

Emilyanne

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

I liked her as well. The wait for a reading with her is a year, so I guess people think she is good. I sort of want a reading with a medium, and sort of don't. I guess it would be interesting. I also wonder what she charges.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 6:35 PM

Maybe you have to show up with the money in an envelope, lol.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 2:07 AM

I'm a believer in general, but am hugely skeptical of people who would do this sort of work on television, but I have to say, if these clients are faking it, she found an amazing bunch of actors. (Though I suppose she could have the show finding out the peoples' names and researching them ahead of time...I'd like to think no one is THAT dishonest, but it's reality TV, so.)

I have to admit, though, when she talked to the woman who lost her baby daughter, I sobbed my eyes out.

Also, unlike most TV psychics, I just flat-out liked this woman. She was funny, her family seemed cool, I didn't want to punch her kids through the TV - and I cracked up when she said the dead person told her Victoria was rolling her eyes behind her. (At least, I think she was joking. I'm not a medium; who knows, maybe the dead are a bunch of tattletales.)

Dallance

Dallance

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 3:08 AM

I can go either way with the medium thing, but she really was likable. The thing with the woman whose husband's friend died in a quad accident was so random! It didn't seem like the wife was close to the guy or expecting his 'spirit' to show up. I like how expressive she is, sort of imitating the person who has died. Plus even though she has a waiting list, she still gives free readings to random strangers while out and about. It's like she can't help herself. That must definitely get old for her family, though.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

The show and the medium are strangely reminiscent of another medium/housewife show that was on last year. That woman had her own radio show and seemed to be something of a local celebrity in the extended NYC vicinity. I think she was divorced but had a number of brothers who hung around a lot, as well as grown kids. IIRC one of the brothers also had a "gift" and was trying to write a book about it, but seemed kind of troubled. Yeah, the whole crew squabbled as their key form of family communication. And the kids were equally annoyed by Mom's non-stop readings of everyone within twenty feet of her. Anyone rcall the name?

IMHO good mediums learn to control when they allow other energies to interfere with daily life -- they gain skills with grounding themselves so they can have some peace and quiet. Being "open" all the time has got to get exhausting.

amyingeorgia

amyingeorgia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

Wow. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed Theresa. She's so likeable. Her family storylines are pretty hokey, but she does a really nice job comforting the loved ones. What a cool thing. Loved that she drives the Mercedes. I can't believe this show made ne cry (more than once!).

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I can't believe that little 6 yo Stephen came to visit Theresa and then his mother Suzie-Q didn't want to meet with her. That was so frikkin' frustrating! What was wrong with that woman? Then she showed up at the monthly restaurant large-scale group reading but didn't want to identify herself. Was she uncomfortable with the cameras? Did she not want to hear what her child wanted to relate to her? Sorry, I just didn't get it at all because most people are really looking forward to making contact with their dearly departed, and this child came thru so strongly that he was making life miserable for the medium.

I think Theresa needs some lessons in grounding from someone more experienced than she is or someone who has a stronger background in the history of mediumship.

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I can't believe that little 6 yo Stephen came to visit Theresa and then his mother Suzie-Q didn't want to meet with her. That was so frikkin' frustrating! What was wrong with that woman? Then she showed up at the monthly restaurant large-scale group reading but didn't want to identify herself. Was she uncomfortable with the cameras? Did she not want to hear what her child wanted to relate to her

Probably not really a believer, trying to get past her son's death, and probably feeling incredibly awkward and sad. Not everyone believes in visitations and frankly, doing it on camera can come off as exploitive.

HookedOnRTV

HookedOnRTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 11:35 PM

I really like her and would love to get a reading. These stories make me cry, give me goosebumps, and that is so not me. She's very likable and the things she mentions leads me to believe she couldn't have any prior knowledge of it.

skiperdee123

skiperdee123

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

She has such an adorable personality it's impossible to not like her. This show is my new guilty pleasure.

Edited by skiperdee123, Oct 2, 2011 @ 11:51 PM.

whatevez

whatevez

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

Loved her and love everything about her. Love her sassy-cat attitude.

I'm generally conflicted on the whole idea of mediums, but I like this chick a lot.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Probably not really a believer, trying to get past her son's death, and probably feeling incredibly awkward and sad. Not everyone believes in visitations and frankly, doing it on camera can come off as exploitive.

The thing is that Susan had attended a public reading at that monthly resaurant gig already, and then was crying on the phone with Theresa when she called to ask her whether she had lost a son. Theresa was upset, shaking, and offered her a private reading in the next day or two, which she agreed upon and then canceled. So why go back to the public reading if you're not a believer?

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

Yeah I didn't understand that one bit. She had the opportunity to sit down one on one with her yet shows up at a public gathering. Maybe she wanted to see if she could pick her out of the crowd; to see if she was telling the truth. I didn't catch if at the previous group reading she had identified that Stephen had passed, but I'm guessing not since she didn't know what Susan looked like.
I'm also wondering why Theresa didn't see if Susan wanted to go somewhere private for a few minutes to chat.
IRT her maybe not wanting cameras present, I'm sure any one of her clients could decline that if they wanted.
I've been enjoying this show and it has made me cry a few too many times. Fuggetaboutit.
Speaking of crying, people need to stop wearing so much eye makeup to these readings. It's not the smartest thing to do.

Edited by yourbabymomma, Oct 3, 2011 @ 11:43 AM.

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

I do like Theresa but I did not think I would. I do not understand Stephen's mom. She went to the reading but then would not identify herself. If she did not believe, she would not have been there, especially after she had been talked to on the phone. I am just surprised she denied being herself.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

Maybe it was just something she couldn't deal with - I can't imagine the emotions something like that brings up. Or she could come from a strongly religious family and have a lot of conflicting feelings about believing in this kind of thing even if she is a believer.

Usually TV psychics make me roll my eyes (Sylvia Browne, I'm looking at you). This woman makes me sob. If she's a fake, she's the best fake I've ever seen.

marlee

marlee

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

The show and the medium are strangely reminiscent of another medium/housewife show that was on last year. That woman had her own radio show and seemed to be something of a local celebrity in the extended NYC vicinity. I think she was divorced but had a number of brothers who hung around a lot, as well as grown kids. IIRC one of the brothers also had a "gift" and was trying to write a book about it, but seemed kind of troubled. Yeah, the whole crew squabbled as their key form of family communication. And the kids were equally annoyed by Mom's non-stop readings of everyone within twenty feet of her. Anyone rcall the name?

Her name is Mary O and she had a show on Sirius radio as well - I think it was called "Angels on Call" or something like that... She had two grown sons, a grown daughter and a couple of brothers hanging around. I find Theresa more likeable.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

Just saw the episode with Stephen/his mom, and had a couple thoughts to share.

It's possible Stephen's dad does not believe in/is against/might be upset by/ a psychic let alone one who says his son is still around, and communicating through her. Not everyone can handle it, to put it bluntly. Some just like to move on and focus on today. It's possible the other little kids could've been confused/upset by it also.

Both times Stephen's mom went to a reading it was in a big group, in public. It's possible the dad doesn't know about it (he does now), or she could pass it off as dinner out with friends. Who knows. It is also possible she couldn't afford a private reading. We don't know how much Theresa charges but private readings usually are into the hundreds on up.

It's also possible that Stephen's mom wanted to test to make sure she wasn't being played with. Even though she knew Theresa's work from before, she's in a very very vulnerable state and some people out there do actually call the homes of the bereaved and prank them. I can't blame her for not wanting additional hurt.

I also think it didn't come through, on the phone call, how much Theresa was suffering. When she blurted, "I don't do this!" it sounded like complaining. I think that confused Stephen's mom. She didn't know what was going on. I don't feel like Theresa really communicated clearly how she was upset/not able to eat or sleep and her compassion. The call came out of the blue for Stephen's mom, and she just heard urgency, and stress. It was overloading her.

I think Theresa really needs an assistant who can field some of that for her, help her communicate, and she needs a home studio for her readings. She has all my compassion and support for the work she does to help people including being brave enough to walk up to skeptics and give them their message. I can also feel for her having a husband around 24/7 who doesn't get what a stressor that can be for the wife. Heh.

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

I also think it didn't come through, on the phone call, how much Theresa was suffering. When she blurted, "I don't do this!" it sounded like complaining. I think that confused Stephen's mom. She didn't know what was going on. I don't feel like Theresa really communicated clearly how she was upset/not able to eat or sleep and her compassion. The call came out of the blue for Stephen's mom, and she just heard urgency, and stress. It was overloading her.

Yeah, and I'l be honest, I was off put by Theresa's tone. I don't think she meant to sound as grating and irritated as she came off. I know she was working under a stressful situation (I don't believe in mediums, but I suspect strongly that Theresa believes she sees ghosts etc) but she came off like she was pissed at the Crossroads and when she had the mom in her sights, it was like she was YELLING at the mom over how she's had to deal with the mom's dead son. I mean... not only is the woman's son dead but she's being bitched out in public for her son haunting Theresa and causing all this stress.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

To be real honest, that's how I felt it came across, too. We knew Theresa was upset by it and had compassion for the family but that family had no way to know any of that. All they heard was "I don't do this!" "He's been here for a week!" and "Are you KIDDING ME?" etc.

She's very emotional, at times, I think. When she's overloaded herself she really needs someone else to sort of interpret for her in a more tactful way. The bereaved have a lot going on already, as she must know.

Sooner Charmed

Sooner Charmed

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

Yeah, and I'l be honest, I was off put by Theresa's tone. I don't think she meant to sound as grating and irritated as she came off. I know she was working under a stressful situation (I don't believe in mediums, but I suspect strongly that Theresa believes she sees ghosts etc) but she came off like she was pissed at the Crossroads and when she had the mom in her sights, it was like she was YELLING at the mom over how she's had to deal with the mom's dead son. I mean... not only is the woman's son dead but she's being bitched out in public for her son haunting Theresa and causing all this stress.

I just really wanted for ONE of Theresa's "messages" from Stephen to be something that she couldn't find out from local news clippings or Google. How hard could it be for an average Joe to find out his father's birthday, that they were naming a park for him, that he had siblings? I just want for one "medium" to be able to pass along information that is truly not easily accessible.

starglow

starglow

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

I so want to believe that Theresa is an authentic medium. I sort of do, but then there is always that doubt that creeps up.

I've been looking on and off for a medium for the last few years. I've had four deaths in my immediate family, two extremely premature. Last week, when there was a two-year waiting list to see Theresa, I e-mailed her. I received a reply that, yes, there is a two-year wait, and I'll be put on the list.

She seems like a genuine person, and the readings seem authentic. In the course of her shows she has me laughing out loud at times and always crying. I'm at the point of thinking that whether or not she's authentic, if someone walks away from her reading with some peace of mind and closure, that's a good thing.

luvmydoggers

luvmydoggers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 6:50 PM

how do you get on her list?

starglow

starglow

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

This is from her facebook page: To be placed on the waiting list for an appointment please e-mail Longislandmedium@gmail.com with your name, phone number, and please note group, private or phone session.

This is the link for her fan facebook page: http://www.facebook....101268053312596

Ugh! For some reason, TLC tonight is the only channel without sound. I'm DVR'g it. I hope the sound comes out, but I doubt it. I was all ready to get my Theresa fix. Bummer.

RennieGirl

RennieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 1:33 AM

I'm on the fence about this woman.

I don't get why mediums like her seem to keep a running list of questions going ... instead of "Was your Dad in the military?" :: beat, waits for nod :: "Cause I keep seeing him saluting me," why doesn't she just say outright, "I see your Dad saluting me, I guess he was in the military ..." and then wait for confirmation?

The latter shows her tapping into something real, or at the very worst, making a very random guess. While the former makes her look more like a cold reader who has to data mine as she goes.

Not that I think she is. Like another poster above, I think at the very least, she believes that she's really connecting with people. I just wish the way she spoke sounded more authentic, instead of her leading with questions, then offering up the spiritual commentary.

Noddy

Noddy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 4:00 AM

No doubt, TLC's producers packaged this show using current media trends -- as in "Italian," of course (Mama, Mia~! Haven't we had enough already?) complete with the requisite North Jersey/New York accents all wrapped up under a specter of paranormal.

The first time I saw John Edward, another "gifted" individual who channels the other side, I was filled with loathing and disgust. I feel the same way about Theresa. Any second thoughts I harbored about judging Theresa's credibility too harshly were quickly quashed as the show's contrived premise became more and more apparent: Theresa to the grieving mother, Susan, via 'phone: "I don't do this." I don't do this." Theresa's husband to Teresa when Theresa turned on the drama-tears in response to the Susan/Stephen dilemma: "This isn't you; you don't do this," and then, in case we hadn't already assessed Theresa's renowned reputation as a medium/psychic who talks to the dead, we heard her inform us twice that, "There's a waiting list to see me." We're impressed! Well, maybe some are, but I am not.

As I watched this charlatan's performances I felt John Edward coming through; I also got a sense of some very talkative locals behind the scenes helping Theresa manifest her "gift." Perhaps someone should do a comprehensive investigation of Theresa and others of her ilk, including checking for ties to funeral directors, hospitals, police, and general water-cooler locations where people congregate and gossip. Stylists at hair salons are often the unwitting recipients of more scuttlebut than the local news publications! I suspect Theresa and other self-proclaimed psychics and mediums have lots of ears and eyes helping them sharpen their talents for deception.

There is really one word that captures my feelings towards Theresa, John Edward and others who exploit grieving, gullible, often desperate people: Anger.

Edited by Noddy, Oct 10, 2011 @ 4:04 AM.

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 8:06 AM

The latter shows her tapping into something real, or at the very worst, making a very random guess. While the former makes her look more like a cold reader who has to data mine as she goes.

Because I like to think the best about people, until I find out otherwise, I believe Theresa geniunely may believe she has psychic powers. That doesn't mean she's not cold reading people.... In fact its pretty easy to believe your own hype when you do cold reading in a group setting because you will get someone who wants to believe and they will tell you every thing with just a little prompting. WIth the ghost of Stephen? I can believe that Theresa read some news article, probably about the park being named after him, internalized it, and coughed it up a few weeks later as a "visitation". She likely believes she is being visited, she has the sort of hysterical personality to do that.

She doesn't seem to be living a lavish lifestyle or really taking major advantage of her clients (John Edwards in contrast just seemed a tad too rich to make me buy the humble lies) and people who are grieving throw their money away on worse things.

I completely agree this is TLC formulaic.... Theresa just needs a little person secretary to get all the boxes checked.