George Remus: George Remus Says That George Remus Is a Big-Time Bootlegger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

12 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 3:11 AM

I started a thread for this character (who refers to himself in the third person) after I heard Ken Burns talking about his upcoming documentary on Prohibition. Burns said that both he and the creators of this show ended up featuring this character without knowing that the other show was doing the same because they were both fascinated with him. Burns said that Remus was the bootlegger, and was famous for talking about himself as "George Remus." It sounds as if there could be some interesting scenes ahead with him.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

I loved this character! Hearing that Remus will be prominently featured in PBS' Prohibition makes my morning.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

Yeah the whole thing with Al not understanding that he was referring to himself in the third person was hilarious. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode, "The Jimmy" with a guy named Jimmy who does that.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

It was also funny because of the way he used his name. Most instances of people referring to themselves in the third person that I can think of are of the "George Remus isnít that kind of person" or "George Remus is a winner" variety. In a situation like that, itsís pretty easy to tell that the person is referring to himself. But George was saying things like (paraphrasing here) "George Remus moved to Cincinnati because of the central location," which made it even more awkward.

And yes, Caponeís reaction to that was funny. He got it, but he still couldnít believe the guy was doing it.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

The wiki on George Remus is utterly amazing. BE writers, no matter how creative, would be hard-pressed to think up a fictional character as fascinating as this guy:

Remus was known as a gracious host. He held many parties, including a 1923 birthday party for Imogene [2nd wife] in which she appeared in a daring bathing suit along with other aquatic dancers, serenaded by a fifteen-piece orchestra. Children in the area also saw Remus as a fatherly figure. Jack Doll recalls an episode in which Remus playfully tossed a boy into his Olympic-sized swimming pool and then gave him $10 to buy a new suit. Doll states that a full boy's suit could be purchased for one dollar in 1920.
George and Imogene held a New Year's Eve party at their new mansion, nicknamed the Marble Palace, in 1922. The guests included 100 couples from the most prestigious families in the area. As parting gifts, Remus presented all the men with diamond watches, and gave each guest's wife a brand new car. Remus held a similar party in June 1923, during his problems with the government, when he gave each female guest (of the fifty present) a brand new Pontiac.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/George_Remus

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 30, 2011 @ 4:31 AM.
Fixed tags

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Sounds like he could carry a series of his own. "YOU get a new car. And YOU get a new car...!"

Hope they do more with him than the third-person schtick.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 8:10 PM

When I saw this guy, I thought "George Costanza".

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

His bit in the Ken Burns' Prohibition doc was fascinating. He gets popped, goes to prison, leaves everything in the hands of his beloved Imogene, who then proceeds to stab him in the back, clean him out and take up with the prohibition agent who popped him. Then he gets out, proceeds to run her off the road and shoot and kill her. Goes to trial, gets acquitted in 19 minutes. Quote of the jury foreman, "He had such a rotten Christmas last year, we decided to give him better one this year."

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

When I saw this guy, I thought "George Costanza".

George is getting upset!!

I loved the phone call between Nucky and Remus this week. "Who the fuck wants to go to Cincinatti?"

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 1, 2011 @ 2:54 AM.

Bob1965

Bob1965

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

And don't forget "Well, George Remus can go fuck himself.'' That made me laugh.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

He's like the Bob Dole of bootlegging.

George Remus wants you all to know that George Remus doesn't drink.

LeeLees Husband

LeeLees Husband

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

George Remus hate his uncle. George Remus is tired of his stories.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I'm going to miss George Costanza-- I mean, George Remus.

Can't imagine we'll see him again.

*That guess is made without looking at his Wikipedia page*