Kalinda Sharma (aka Boots): The Bisexual Bad Ass with a Bat

• Please log in to reply

242 replies to this topic

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

This is the place to discuss all things Kalinda, carry on.

Edited by maraleia, Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:04 PM.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

I bow down to Kalinda, she is awesome. Not too much in terms of character development in today's episode but at least we're shown that she's a little more conscious of who she sleeps with now (avoiding Sophia up until now).

Sunless

Sunless

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Kalinda is now wearing a thumb ring. What do you suppose that means? And I know it means something when it comes to this show. The same way they made it obvious Sophia was not wearing her wedding ring in the episode where she bedded Kalinda. Doubt Sophia wears it now, but they haven't focused on her hands.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

I noticed it too when she was looking at the photos she stole from Cary.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 8:39 AM

Kalinda is now wearing a thumb ring. What do you suppose that means?

She thinks she's 15?

I thought the show's stylist was just making a deeply misguided fashion statement.

But, it being Kalinda, it's entirely possible her father or another significant man in her life died, she received the ring as a keepsake and kept it the same size for sentimental reasons (thus her thumb is the only digit large enough for it), and she hasn't told anyone about her loss. Something like that would constitute a reason I could believe for a normally stylish adult to wear a ring on her thumb.

Or maybe she killed Blake and took it from him as a trophy. Is it wrong that I think that'd be really, really funny? I don't think this show would do it, too soapy. But the idea cracks me up!

I've always wanted to know just how they put her hair up like that. It doesn't look very complicated, but I can't figure it out all the same, and I'd like to try it myself.

prop joe

prop joe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that Kalinda being so bad-ass and cool all the time is a bit tiring? I mean, I always liked her, but at this point I think she is probably the most predictable character.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

I think the thumb ring was just a costuming decision, although in certain parts of the lesbian community it's kind of a ping-your-gaydar accessory.

I kind of wonder if Kalinda already has a dog--in an interview she gave last year (I think it was last year) she said part of the backstory she's come up with for Kalinda is that she has a dog. Did the writers take note of this and just insert into the script? Did it flow naturally from the conversation with Will about needing friendship? It's season 3 and they really need to start answering some basic questions about Kalinda to prevent her from becoming a sexy, mysterious gimmick. Credit to Archie Panjabi for imbuing her with some depth, but after two years, we still hardly know a thing about her except that she genuinely cared about Alicia and is shutting down in response to losing that friendship. She's probably Canadian in origin (Or is she? Apparently Kalinda has that muddled traces-of-English accent on purpose instead of a straight-up American one.), had a maybe-boring life that she escaped through maybe-arson, and was once named Leela. Maybe. She likes baseball bats, alcohol, and shooting straight.

Need more, please.

Sunless

Sunless

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

I think the thumb ring was just a costuming decision, although in certain parts of the lesbian community it's kind of a ping-your-gaydar accessory.

That's what I associate it with and it tells me she is looking to pick up women. She doesn't need a thumb ring to pick up men. And I also don't think it's just any woman for sexy times. She has available options for that. She could be looking for something serious.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

Yeah, that's what I took it to be as well.

I kind of wonder if Kalinda already has a dog--in an interview she gave last year (I think it was last year) she said part of the backstory she's come up with for Kalinda is that she has a dog.

Want. Now.

Credit to Archie Panjabi for imbuing her with some depth, but after two years, we still hardly know a thing about her except that she genuinely cared about Alicia and is shutting down in response to losing that friendship.

I agree. If they drop her backstory now that Blake's gone, I will be horribly, horribly disappointed.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

Or maybe she killed Blake and took it from him as a trophy. Is it wrong that I think that'd be really, really funny? I don't think this show would do it, too soapy. But the idea cracks me up!

Bwah! I'd love to see this episode!

That's what I associate it with and it tells me she is looking to pick up women. She doesn't need a thumb ring to pick up men.

She's doesn't need it for women either. Heh.

I've seen the thumb ring worn by many of my women musician friends, all of them straight. Maybe Kalinda spends her nights-off as lead singer in a punk band.

Sunless

Sunless

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

Maybe Kalinda spends her nights-off as lead singer in a punk band.

Haha. That would be hilarious. Maybe she was punk as a kid. Vandalizing schools and all that.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 11:46 AM

Maybe Kalinda spends her nights-off as lead singer in a punk band.

Available soon on iTunes: Agent of Justice, by Kalinda and The Sharmettes, including the smash hit single "Don't You 'Leela' Me", and new covers of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Sharma Chameleon," "These Boots Are Made For Walking," and "Torn Between Two Lovers." ETA: Bonus hidden track: "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)."

Edited by Sandman, Sep 30, 2011 @ 10:07 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

Vandalizing schools and all that.

Early in season one, sometime after Kalinda's "I was 12 comment" Didn't Kalinda make some reference to being a badly behaved teenager while Alicia made some mild crack about being a political wife when Kalinda would have been that vandalizing teenager? And IIRC, this was before the last (pre ONS reveal) Kalicia bar conversation where Alicia said she was glad Kalinda didn't know her during her suburban days.

Sandman - Agent of Justice - this is sublime

Edited by name234, Sep 30, 2011 @ 2:24 PM.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

Sandman, thank you for making my night.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

Forgot this was where we'd talked about the thumb ring and put more recent observation on ep thread. Ooops. Anyway, when I reviewed the opening scenes of "A New Day," though I hadn't initially been terribly serious about the possibility of it being worn in memoriam, I noticed it does look very much like a man's wedding ring. So maybe it's more than a style choice and does have a real backstory.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

The men's rings seemed to be the coolest, yet most laid back. The women's bands seem to be more plain, I guess to not compete with a gi-gantor diamond.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

So do you guys think Eli will dig up Kalinda's backstory?

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 7:44 AM

I think I am in the minority with the Kalinda/Eli love. Kalinda seems to be the ying to Alicia's dry and serious yang. And the same for Eli and Peter. (and by the same token, Diane and Will) Putting Kalinda and Eli together is almost overkill.

Or maybe I am just worried that Eli could most likely be the one to dig up the dirt on Kalinda.

Others have stated and I agree that they miss the Kalinda/Alicia interaction. Count me in on that. Kalinda made Alicia softer, sweeter and WAY less robotic. In my opinion.

varcinie

varcinie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

I think I am in the minority with the Kalinda/Eli love. Kalinda seems to be the ying to Alicia's dry and serious yang. And the same for Eli and Peter. (and by the same token, Diane and Will) Putting Kalinda and Eli together is almost overkill.

I agree with you. I love both Kalinda and Eli (I think they're probably my favorite characters, with maybe Eli edging ahead, but it depends on the episode), but together they kind of cancel each other out. They're both much more interesting when playing off Alicia, especially, but really anyone who's in contrast to their personalities.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 8:33 AM

I'd say it feels inevitable.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 8:39 AM

I'd say it feels inevitable.

And I actively hope so, myself. For one thing, I'd like to know. But also, it'd be satisfying in a petty way just because d-bag Blake thought he was such a hot tamale for finding some of it, and I'm betting there's more.

bobcat3

bobcat3

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

I'm eerily fascinated by Kalinda more and more as the seasons progress. It seems there is a lot that can be done with her character. Hopefully, she never gets booted off.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

At this point I'm just praying that they actually show some interest in Kalinda's backstory. I might even accept a one-episode return of Blake if it would mean the writers are ACTUALLY following through with some of their dropped plotlines.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

I have a question. It's been said that Kalinda hooked up with Cary. Since I just watched S1 and S2 via Netflix, I just don't remember that part. I do remember him seemingly trying to hook up with her in S1 when they worked together, but after that I just blanked out. Help?

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

Guitargirl, I don't think she and Cary ever hooked up. Cary was interested and Kalinda may have teased him, but they didn't have sex. If so, some of the conversations in the episode threads are way off base.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

Kalinda/Cary sex has never happened or been stated to have happened on the show.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

All that's happened between Cary and Kalinda is a kiss from last season. It took place when Cary walked her back to her new apartment.

I don't recall if he initiated it or she did.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

Transferring this from the 3.03 episode thread:

Cary wants to feel like more than one of her contacts and I believe he is. But, with Kalinda treating him that way she does, it is hard for him to tell. Cary wants to feel important beyond giving information.

That's how I see it, too. And as the original mentioner of the files Kalinda swiped from his desk in one of the first two eps this season, I should maybe clarify that I never thought Cary was mad about that incident specifically; his nonverbal response at the time struck me as "Jeez, I should've known." Nor do I think he expects to get laid as a quid pro quo for his helping Kalinda (shudder); I don't think Cary was ever designed as that skeevy a character, and I don't think Kalinda has been presented to us (or to him) as someone who actually does the deed with *everyone* she flirts with or everyone who helps her. When he came to her new place after the change-of-address sharing, she made it quite clear that he wasn't coming upstairs; he made it clear that he didn't expect to, helped her anyway, kissed her rather chastely, and immediately left. In S1, he kept making not-too-serious advances toward her and seeming completely unsurprised, almost amused, when she blew him off.

But I do think he assumed that her episode of vulnerability last season, and his finding out about Peter, would somehow deepen or change their relationship, and clearly it hasn't.

ETA:

I don't recall if he initiated it or she did.

He did. He showed up in her lobby; she said, "I like you, Cary (with an implied "but sorry, no" at the end), he said, "I'm only here to tell you something," warned her she was under investigation, kissed her and left.

Edited by CozyKat, Oct 14, 2011 @ 11:21 AM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

He did. He showed up in her lobby; she said, "I like you, Cary (with an implied "but sorry, no" at the end), he said, "I'm only here to tell you something," warned her she was under investigation, kissed her and left.

Thanks CozKat. Either way, I hate that just because Kalinda's friendship with Alicia imploded, that her other friendships must also go the same route.

Granted, her and Cary didn't have anything near what Kalinda and Alicia did, but they were getting there. He was, for once, not being a douche or judgmental when it looked like her ONS with Peter might come to light.

But more importantly, I want both Kalinda and Alicia to suck it up and at least, while working, at the office, answer each others' damn phone, and not assume the other is calling about a personal matter.

Or Diane coming down on them like the Wrath of a Fury might help, too.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

After watching the way she investigated the crime scene and helped solve the case of the week, all I can say is, "Damn, she's good!"