Spoilers Discussion: Is That What You Heard? Word on the Street Is…

• Please log in to reply

1267 replies to this topic

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:43 PM

Will embezzled from his old firm to support a gambling habit,

So Will was apparently a Gambling man? I think he can make the case for being reformed as we've seen nothing on screen to indicate that this has continued. I'll give Celeste a chance to stir it up, but when the pressure was on - its not like we saw Will playing on-line poker or starting as much as an office-wide March Madness pool.

Edited by name234, Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:43 PM.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

Oh, I definitely think he's reformed, but the issue of his revealing that part of his past still seems plenty juicy if we believe Blake's accusation of embezzlement, which Will didn't deny when confronted in S2. It'll be interesting to see how Alicia finds out: from Celeste directly, or pre-emptively from Will once he realizes Celeste is entering Alicia's orbit and might spill the beans. The reveal of exactly how Will "paid his debt," and any contributing stressors in his life at the time, should also make a difference. Given that he's Alicia's boss, it's only logical that he wouldn't tell her (or anyone in his current life) about this; I wouldn't expect him to. Yet if Celeste actually knows about the embezzlement (and maybe she doesn't), I can't imagine Alicia taking the news calmly from a third source, either. Keeping different eras of your life in separate compartments gets problematic when an indiscreet person from the past bursts into the present, which appears to be the plan with introducing Lisa Edelstein as Celeste.

I like LE, and I like complicated characters/situations like Will's, so I'm looking forward to all this. I just hope there's not an "Alicia's jealous!" vibe, which I'd personally find tiresome.

Edited by CozyKat, Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:17 PM.

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

I like LE, and I like complicated characters/situations like Will's, so I'm looking forward to all this. I just hope there's not an "Alicia's jealous!" vibe, which I'd personally find tiresome.

I can't see them not going the "Alicia's jealous!" route. Why bring in LE otherwise? I imagine they'll be exchanging plenty of "I'll gouge your fucking eyes out!" looks...

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

Alicia has been at least mildly jealous of every other woman who has been around Will. Remember the tattoo lawyer she kept staring at? The bitchiness to Giada and making fun of her later to Will. And her impersonation of Tammy. So I would be surprised if she isn't at least mildly jealous of an ex come back around. If she reacts like she did with the others though it should be more amusing than grating. I think things will depend a lot on what the status of Alicia/Will is when she shows up and whether or not Celeste makes any moves on Will.

Words

Words

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

So since this is the "Spoilers Discussion" thread, does that mean that actual spoilers should NOT be posted here?

Edited by Words, Sep 27, 2011 @ 12:21 PM.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I don't think this forum is busy enough to justify two separate threads yet. I've been to some forums where they were combined, and I think that would be fine for this one.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

Two scenes from the next episode. Alicia/Will and Diane/Will, both scenes that were already hinted at in the preview.

Edited by calidub, Sep 29, 2011 @ 5:58 PM.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

'I can dress up.' Dude. That caught me off guard coming from Alicia. I love the way she just rolled with it though. That is very in character for how she typically deals with slightly out of the blue things.

I'm going to reserve judgment on the Diane/Will scene. I like that Will at least tried the 'it's none of our business' tact. That's a thin line- what is their business because of blowback on the firm and what is still no matter what none of their business.

I have trouble taking the clean SA's office lines seriously after the crap they pulled last ep. I wonder if that's going to continue to be a theme- Peter will toe and preach the line but his people will continue to pull all kinds of shit.

When I first read that I thought it said the Diane/Alicia scene and I was all excited. I wonder if the line she was trying to obligate Will to wrt Alicia has any connection to the spoiler about her being pissed at Alicia when Peter chooses another firm as the SA's outside counsel.
[snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 30, 2011 @ 4:03 AM.
Off topic

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 1:20 AM

Sigh. Didn't we do the "Alicia gets jealous" thing last year? This really is doing nothing to disprove my sense that the show thinks Alicia is all empowered now because she and Will got together. Ugh.

Oh, Will. Diane sees right through you. And you're not that naive.

Alicia is going to have to bust ass to stay employed. I wonder if they'll keep her at LG or move her away (however temporarily). MJF IS supposed to be back....

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 8:08 PM

I love the look on Diane's face. So disgusted and worried. It's almost like she's thinking, "All the years of hard work and struggle, comes down to this? My firm might crumble because of a marriage going on the rocks?"

I'm worried about Alicia. If she does get fired though, she might have a good wrongful termination case if she pursued it. It might be the end of the firm either way.

marifline

marifline

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

I don't see how Diane can blame Alicia if she learns that the marriage is in trouble. After all Alicia is maintaining the cover for now. Yes the situation is a mess, but still...it's not like Alicia's mariage was the safest bet when LG decided to take Eli in house...It was a risk to begin with.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

it's not like Alicia's mariage was the safest bet when LG decided to take Eli in house...It was a risk to begin with.

What do you mean? As far as I can tell, Diane has been thinking this whole time that Alicia's marriage was fine (well, as fine as it could be). I think the marriage, to anyone except Alicia, probably seemed like a damn safe bet when they brought Eli on. I mean, she was giving interviews in support of Peter's SA candidacy that same day.

Besides, Diane has always valued Alicia for more her last name than for her lawyering skills. I think, even if Peter wasn't quasi-going on a vendetta against LG, if she thought Alicia had lost the clout that comes with the Florrick name she'd drop her.

ETA: Which is not to say that Diane probably doesn't sympathize with/understand Alicia's desire for a divorce. I'm sure she does. But Diane has always subordinated the personal to the professional. And like it or not, Alicia's actions may have huge professional repercussions. If Will weren't sleeping with Alicia, he'd be just as concerned.

Edited by stealinghome, Sep 30, 2011 @ 9:03 PM.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

But Peter might not have been able to bring business to L/G simply because he would want to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Which Diane really should know. Especially given Peter's recent failings with the law and just being re-elected. While he denied that there was anything wrong he was doing as a part of his office, the fact is that he hired a prostitute and that is in and of itself, illegal. Especially for someone who was trying to be The Hammer of the law, as Peter used to be. Oh how very Spitzer that all was.

Anyhew, it's not surprising that Peter is now trying to say that his office will be incorruptible and hence his (to my mind selfish) utterly empty panto of being tough on crime! and making no deals! no matter what! And he would have done that regardless of the state of his marriage to Alicia, because of his previous crimes and public image. So it would have been odd for Peter to try and reconcile that supposed rededication to squeaky cleandom (which is bunk, given all the crap they pulled with the photo) to tossing tons of business to Alicia's firm. Or being soft to them in court. Even if things hadn't gone south with their marriage, Peter might have pulled an Abernathy and in trying to compensate for their ties, gone out of their way not to favour Alicia and/or L/G.

I just hope that Alicia reminds Peter that they have a quid pro quo "marriage" at this point. And that he's not holding up his end of the bargin, by going after her job and livelihood, as hard and vindictively as he might be. Because if she doesn't have a financial incentive, than why should she stay married to him and not, say, indicate the he slept a former associate of his while he was SA the first time. So having lied about that, may be is lying about any number of other things he supposedly repented for...

I would dig seeing a scene of Alicia negotiating with Peter about that.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 8:25 AM

What do you mean? As far as I can tell, Diane has been thinking this whole time that Alicia's marriage was fine (well, as fine as it could be).

I can't recall that Diane was quizzing Alicia routinely about her marriage. I think Diane was sympathetic, coupled to being realistic about Alicia given the sex-scandal portion of the Peter problem. Who wouldn't be concerned that after managing the PR crisis that the marriage wasn't going to dissolve. I imagine everyone assumed everything was fine with Peter's re-election.

Whatever the rules in the TGW universe, its a major conflict of interest for a government official elected or not to throw government business to a family member's business. I think it was an unfortunate choice of the King's to suggest that if all were well in the Florrick marriage that LG would be automatic external counsel. There are other ways that Alicia's marriage would have been asset to the firm, Alicia's name brings in Democratic Party business (and business through those networks), aids Diane's potential run for office in a few years and gives the firms a tiny bit more standing in the Chicago legal community.

I think for much of the first season when Peter was either in prison or house arrest, Diane and Will were taking a big chance on Alicia given the media attention. Most first year associates don't come with Papparazzi and grainy videotape of their spouse with a hooker. Will was definitely inclined to give Alicia a life raft. Diane employed her on the condition that it was a contest between Alicia and Cary. Alicia had to bring in Eli to maintain the sympathy and a job.

Who besides Patty Nyholm insinuated that Alicia and Will were having an affair before they were? Patty told Alicia to "Tell her boyfriend..." How common was the suspicion before it actually happened. In the run up to the Cook County Bar Association Ball, Diane and Bond asked Will if he was okay with inviting Alicia and Peter. Diane and Bond looking at each other knowingly while waiting for a reaction, whether or not they were concerned about an affair, they didn't want to put Will in an awkward position.

Edited by name234, Oct 1, 2011 @ 8:27 AM.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Whatever the rules in the TGW universe, its a major conflict of interest for a government official elected or not to throw government business to a family member's business. I think it was an unfortunate choice of the King's to suggest that if all were well in the Florrick marriage that LG would be automatic external counsel.

I haven't seen all the spoilers yet, but my impression with the clip of Diane was that she was worried that the States Attorney's Office was becoming an active enemy of their firm. That would mean having Alicia as an associate would very much work against them.

Who besides Patty Nyholm insinuated that Alicia and Will were having an affair before they were?

Well, they were the subject of a hit job on that Glen Beckesque program. He flat out told accused Will and Alicia of having an affair on what seemed to be a popular program. He even had pictures of them at a lobby of a hotel room. After that, everyone in the office made snide comments about their "affair." It's probably what gave Cary the idea in the first place.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

Well, they were the subject of a hit job on that Glen Beckesque program....

Thanks, what I wonder about is to what extent was Diane immune from the same rumors about how well Alicia's marriage was going?

That would mean having Alicia as an associate would very much work against them.

Definitely, I imagine they expected some kind of let up in the targeting that Childs did. The thing is, is Peter (in such a calm, methodical yet Blind rage) unable to realize this could to hurt him at some point?

Eli and Peter know that having the wreckage of the Peter and Alicia marriage on display before they are ready to file for a divorce is not going to help Peter with the public. "With her he's a Kennedy, without her he's just some john."

Also at some point, the children will pick up on their Father trying to destroy their mother. Ambivalent yes, but the kids are aware of which parent publicly humiliated them, over turned their lives and which one picked up the pieces and held it together through a prison term, a subsequent trial (and house arrest) and a campaign. Or, whether or not they can process all this, its not like their mother didn't try to make it work, or at least give Peter a chance to stabilize or regain most of his life before leaving him (for a reason they aren't clear on).

I don't think Zach and Grace will be thrilled to find out about Will, or the timing. That said, say what you will about Will Gardner, he's not a hooker. Also, the kids don't know about Kalinda, they don't know that their father didn't come clean about a past affair. In the end it may be a wash and the kids might look at their parents choices and rebel: Grace might come home with her hair dyed black and a nose ring, and Zach may become a Tory, just to make his old man angry. What you've become... "Conservative ! and British??" I can hear Peter now....

Edited by name234, Oct 1, 2011 @ 9:22 AM.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

I don't think Zach and Grace will be thrilled to find out about Will, or the timing.

I'm wondering if Grace's reaction will surprise us. I hope so, at least. She seemed so glad to see her mother at ease last episode and even commented that she was so much happier without Peter. A pretty mature realization for a 13 year old! I think it'd be a nice twist if Grace was supportive of her mom and whatever makes her happy, instead of rebelling and throwing a snit fit. Zach, however, will likely be pissed off at the world.

I use the L word on the basis of the conversation that Owen and Alicia had on the road, and that she wouldn't have made this move (with all its risks), or the prior post road trip conversation if she didn't think she was in love with Will.

I go back to this scene a lot whenever I start doubting Alicia's feelings towards Will or thinking that he's more into it than she is. She never denied that she was in love with Will to Owen. Instead, it was like she was hit by a ton of bricks at the realization. "I can't be... can I?" and then it all kinda dawned on her. And then Owen tells her what she needs to tell Will ("I've watched you for 15 years.." "I'm tired of shoving love to the side and serving other people...") and she nods along like it's all true. The only time she objects is when he starts talking about the touch of Will's hands on her breasts and she says that she can't say that. But she seems totally on board to say the rest of it. I agree that she wouldn't have taken all of these risks (her family, her job, her reputation) if her feelings about him weren't serious.

I'm curious about Eli's role in all of this. Have we gotten any spoilers about Eli/Will/Alicia? Part of me thinks that he lied to Peter and told them nothing was going on because he doesn't want a divorced candidate. But part of me also thinks that Eli wants Alicia to be happy and realizes that she's found that now. He never tried to get her to take Peter back, he knew it was done. I wonder if he'll ever tell her about the voicemail he deleted and what it actually said.

Edited by calidub, Oct 1, 2011 @ 11:48 AM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

calidub - I would like nothing more than to have Grace, let alone Grace and Zach realize their mother is much happier a) because she has emotionally moved on from their father and b) is in love* with Will, which leaves her more energy to be herself rather than the buttoned down political wife she's been for the last many years.

* I use the L word on the basis of the conversation that Owen and Alicia had on the road, and that she wouldn't have made this move (with all its risks), or the prior post road trip conversation if she didn't think she was in love with Will.

On a different note, I am not looking forward to Celeste trying to stir things up with Will. She strikes me as the person who will let it slip that Will and Alicia are involved. I forget who said it on which thread, but I would find it tiring if Alicia has to be all jealous to move the plot along.

If TPTB like LE's character (and I love the actress, I am glad she found something so quickly after leaving House), given how they have dragged out Blake - we could see Celeste show up at Canning's firm, or (speculation) Rita Wilson's newly opened Chicago office. Should make for some interesting writing if at this year's Cook County Bar Association Ball why not have the tension of Peter, Alicia, Will and Celeste all in a room circling one another with Diane and David Lee looking on.

ETA: So, TVGuide's Episode Description for Get a Room, refers to Celeste as Will's Ex-Wife.
If nothing else, the TPTB have a means of making her a recurring character, if they want.

Edited by name234, Oct 1, 2011 @ 12:35 PM.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 3:58 AM

I never took Alicia being happier and freer because of Will. I think she feels this way because she isn't holding herself to the standards and rules she used to while she was with Peter. I felt that she believed she had to be someone she wasn't in order for her marriage to work. Then it became a chore to be the perfect wife because he husband was in politics and decided to have a scandal.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

Promo pics for 3.05 Colin Sweeney Agonistes. And press release.

Edited by L star, Oct 4, 2011 @ 3:47 PM.

Sheker9

Sheker9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

Found this from Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones, Gossip Girl, Vamp Diaries, Walking Dead, Glee, SVU and More!

Question: Scoop on The Good Wife — please and thank you! —Dee
Ausiello: If you thought the whole audit of Lockhart Gardner by the State’s Attorney’s office was messed up, you haven’t seen anything yet. In the coming weeks, Peter and his army of troublemakers will open up an investigation into Will’s shady past, and you won’t believe who gets assigned to the case.

Edited by Sheker9, Oct 4, 2011 @ 7:11 PM.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

I'm guessing Glenn Childs since we know he's returning working for the Justice Department.

David Lee is in ep 5! Yippee!!!

ETA: Pics for 3.06 Affairs of State. It looks like Parker Posey and Monica Raymond are both starting in this one. Summaries from CBS:
Alicia and the firm's new first year associate Caitlin are forced to wade through diplomatic loop holes to defend Chen, a Taiwanese national accused of murder.

Eli is approached by his ex-wife to vet her for a possible political campaign.

Edited by L star, Oct 5, 2011 @ 4:44 PM.

Florrick

Florrick

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 12:09 PM

The Good Wife - Episode 3.03 - Get A Room - Sneak Peek

Will and Celeste

Edited by Florrick, Oct 8, 2011 @ 12:10 PM.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

For what it's worth seems like the title of episode 5 has changed to "Marthas and Caitlins" according to CBS.

An alternative promo for tomorrow's ep - bad quality, but does include one scene that's not in the other promos.

Edited by mgoshawk, Oct 8, 2011 @ 5:10 PM.

GrorgiaTeach

GrorgiaTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

I'm hoping her 3 episode arc is the last we see of Celeste. I didn't buy her backstory with Will. She is too old and cold to have been a woman Will was involved with. I hope she leaves the show in a hurry.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Press Release for 3.06- Affairs of State

Apparently this is when Zach starts working at the firm as well.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 4:06 AM

A larg-ish collection of recent filming pics.

And a title for episode 8.

Also this somewhat titillating tweet from Graham Phillips.

great day of filming with miss margulies and miss vega! filming my favorite scene of the season on monday; will let you know more then!

Edited by mgoshawk, Oct 16, 2011 @ 4:22 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

Why, why, WHY are they bringing back WSC/ANR? I have nothing against her, but she didn't fit in the show in S2, why do they keep beating the same dead horse?

GrorgiaTeach

GrorgiaTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

Pure speculation but right before the episode aired, there was a promo for The Talk. It said that Scott Porter would be the guest on Monday. I'm wondering if he is gonna announce that Blake is gonna make a return visit to the show?

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 5:42 PM

I'm curious about Peter investigating Will's past and wondering how that'll affect Alicia. It'll be complicated, for sure. But part of me thinks it could also be the final push for Alicia to fully embrace this relationship with Will. I think she'll either find herself defending him to Peter or find herself really upset about his shady past. Either way, it'll prove to her that she does care deeply about him. It can't just be "no fuss, no muss."