TGW in the Media

• Please log in to reply

641 replies to this topic

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

The LA Times has an interesting piece about the sexed-up S3 marketing campaign, pros and cons, with comments from the Kings.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

The Sunday edition of the Chicago Tribune featured a full page color (okay, Black, White and RED) ad for the Good Wife. As much as I have feared the move to Sundays, the network seems to be supporting the move. I don't ever recall seeing any ads for the show in the papers prior to this year. I suspect they are hoping to get Desperate Housewives fans to DVR it and then switch over and maybe made the media buy after JM won the Emmy.

Edited by name234, Sep 25, 2011 @ 3:49 PM.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

I think the biggest unnoticed news in the recent Futoncritic interview with the Kings is at the end: "We're trying this year to do 11 [episodes] in a row without a break, without reruns.....What keeps the pressure on is that the schedule is now contracted so there's less time to do it because it's trying to run all these originals in a row."

With that in mind, in case anyone missed it, episode summaries and cast listings for the first four are here.

Some possible spoilers from Archie Panjabi here, although for inexplicable reasons I think Cary has been rendered as as Eric here.

Vague spoilers from Alan Cumming here.

A visit to the set by Designer Dad, who speaks with set decorator Beth Kushnick, and lots of photos of the set.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

For example, last season’s jaw-dropping revelation that she had slept with her best friend’s husband. “I knew quite late, actually, towards the middle of Season Two. I was shocked when they told me.

Yet supposedly it was supposed to happen within the first few episodes of the first season? Weird.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

I think it was something the writers had discussed with CBS, but not with the cast until later. Especially maybe since they didn't even know at first whether they were going to be picked up for more than 1 season or more than 13 episodes...

Also a reminder that Josh Charles, Alan Cumming and Julianna Margulies are live-tweeting the premiere.

Edited by mgoshawk, Sep 25, 2011 @ 5:52 PM.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

The A.V. Club does good, speedy TGW recaps. Like some (most? all??) of us, they weren't keen on Grace's storyline, either, although the premiere as a whole gets a B+ here.

veronica lodge

veronica lodge

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:58 PM

Here is a digital magazine promo that was recently posted on the show's Facebook feed. I don't recall seeing this type television show promotion before. I'm fascinated by the virtual magazine format and its combination of swanky, sexy fashion spread images with interspersed commentary about upcoming character arcs.

And here is Ken Tucker's review of the premiere.

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:47 AM

Here is a digital magazine promo that was recently posted on the show's Facebook feed.

That is beautiful, very slick looking. It's the first time I've seen anything like it promoting TV or film. The show has a very good publicity force. I hope they can work it well enough that the switch doesn't matter, ratings wise.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:52 AM

I think it was something the writers had discussed with CBS, but not with the cast until later. Especially maybe since they didn't even know at first whether they were going to be picked up for more than 1 season or more than 13 episodes.

The Kings have said it was CBS that suggested they not bring up their plan of Kalinda sleeping with Peter, until later. Though it was part of their original plan of season one's arc. So I can see why they would have kept it at that level, so that when later it was written into the show, it could be more shocking. Which was CBS's thinking, apparently.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

TVGuide.com (contains some spoilers), Where Alan talks about watching the Alicia and Will scene in the premiere with Josh and his Girlfriend, Juliana and her husband in the same room.

Also, I've seen a few comments on a couple of reviews talk about how the commenter wants to see Peter and Alicia reconcile. Um, we've seen this already. We've seen her forgive her husband and try to work things out after Hooker-gate.

JM did a brief interview on Entertainment Tonight and she mentioned being stopped by a fan of the show, and the fan was pleading for a Peter and Alicia reconciliation. Juliana laughed as she said to the interviewer, "Really, he has been with hookers and her best friend...this is what you want for her..."

Edited by name234, Oct 1, 2011 @ 12:39 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

TVGuide has a few preview and previous episode clips. I suspect with spoilerish stuff in them, the page may be the stable spot where they will post this kind of thing.

Edited by name234, Oct 1, 2011 @ 12:33 PM.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

From today's NY Times ‘Good Wife’ Watch: Did They Really Say That?.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

The extended preview for the next ep.

Sheker9

Sheker9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 6:50 PM

Does anyone have a link for the extended promo that's not from the CBS site? Cause I can't watch that one. :/

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

This site has the extended promo on YouTube. Here's an interview with Julianna. Popcorn with Peter Travers- Julianna Margulies Sets the Tone

Edited by L star, Oct 4, 2011 @ 11:14 AM.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 5:25 PM

A little delayed, but some commentary here from background actor who's role as a graphic recorder was mainly cut from the premiere.

Commentary on sexuality in the premiere in the Chicago Tribune.

Nice interview with Zach Grenier where talks about the possibility of more Good Wife appearances.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

‘Good Wife’ Watch: The Return of Cuddy, Er, Lisa Edelstein.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

‘Good Wife’ Watch: The Return of Cuddy, Er, Lisa Edelstein.

Dang, the comments are even more brutal than we are.

I've copied some of what the article says in the episode thread.

dalilita

dalilita

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

Dang, the comments are even more brutal than we are.

Yeap, and I think they make some good points. I too feel the show´s not what it used to be and I´m really worried about what can happen (story, situations, dialogues, characters and ratings wise).

Edited by dalilita, Oct 11, 2011 @ 8:55 PM.

GrorgiaTeach

GrorgiaTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I don't think people are giving the show a chance to actually give us enough back story to move us into what this season is all about. This is not the same Alicia. They are showing us that. How she relates to everybody in her world is different. How she relates to her kids is different. She is still being a mother but with a deep respect for their feelings and their thoughts. As an attorney she is finally realizing that you have to play hardball and not be afraid to do things that may not seem right on the surface but will get you the win. If your client is innocent that makes it better. If the client is guilty, too bad, you won and "they" lost. As far as being The Good Wife is concerned, she still is. She didn't cut out on Peter. She stood by him, nothing more, nothing less. The romance with Will is something that was bound to happen. This woman has taken way to much from a man who just didn't care about her mentally or physically. A Call Girl, then Kalinda and I'll bet there were others. She's still the Good Wife. She is now the Happy Good wife!

Edited by GrorgiaTeach, Oct 11, 2011 @ 10:04 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

Yeap, and I think they make some good points. I too feel the show´s not what it used to be and I´m really worried about what can happen (story, situations, dialogues, characters and ratings wise).

Response in the Ratings and Scheduling thread.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

I don't think people are giving the show a chance to actually give us enough back story to move us into what this season is all about.

I don't quite understand this sentence. I would *love* for the show-runners to give us more back-story than they have. I don't know why they are taking this cat-and-mouse approach to Alicia's relationship with Will, rather than just letting us know what the heck is going on between them. What do the two of them talk about in their post-coital moments (which I assume they are having)? Why do we the audience still not know what caused them to have "bad timing" in the past? I was astonished to learn that Will had been married before. Did the writers just now make that up?

GrorgiaTeach

GrorgiaTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

I agree, it was amazing to find out Will was married. Perhaps during the season, we will find out more about all of them and their relationships. I think we have just seen 3 episodes. Last Sunday we, along with Alicia, found pout about the marriage. Now, this week, maybe we'll find out more about Will via Celeste as she starts to work at the firm. I don't think she is in the show to upset Alicia and Will. I think she is there to serve as conduit for info on Will and why he acts the way he does. I used to watch the Wire and every season it started off slow. Then, around the fifth or sixth show everything broke loose. It takes time to build up to the real story each season. I think they have given us info on where Alicia and Will are from last season, we know where Peter stands, we know Carey and Kalinda are not a couple.

I think we have to let the story build. The writers don't want to rush all of the story up front. I want to know what is going on with Diane. I know that she isn't just rocking herself in a rocking chair every night. They can't tell entire back stories in one or two episodes. I guess I'm saying we just have to wait and see.

I have noticed several posts stating that the cast is getting too big. I think that is happening because the writers need these extra people to provide the personal and professional stories behind each character. The writers seem to have taken the stance that nothing happens by chance. There is a reason that each character is where they are right now.

I think we are going to learn about Kalinda and her circumstances. What made her sleep with Peter? If she had a husband, who was he and how much power and control did he have over her? She was so afraid until she was willing to sleep with a man she didn't care about to protect herself. Now the question is, protect herself from what? That scene where Diane mentioned Grace to Alicia was interesting. That came out of the blue. So unlike Diane. Does Diane have a child in her past? The writers can't answer these questions in a few episodes. It might take seasons.

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

Very brief summary of episode 7 from TV Guide.

Interview with Lisa Edelstein from TV Guide with some talk about her storyline on the show.

Some more academic analyses of the show that were posted this past week.

Archie Panjabi (and Matt Czuchry) were at the charitable Pratham Gala. And she was also at the Art for Africa Gala.

CBS video on how the show is ecofriendly (this was posted at some point earlier this year but I think this clip has been tweaked a little)

Large-ish recurring casting news and more minor casting news (I think)

Michell and Robert King were named among the top 50 showrunners by the Hollywood Reporter. And another article on one of the other writers.

Short Youtube video from filming in Queens, NY recently. Julianna and another actor can be seen at one point but no real spoilers I think.

And a reminder that all press releases with cast info are here.

Looks like Alan Cumming joined Josh Charles for a party celebrating his girlfriend's young adult novel release.

Edited by mgoshawk, Oct 16, 2011 @ 3:08 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Spoilery casting news

NonSpoilery comment - The Kings state they want eventually to cast everyone from the Wire and Strangers with Candy.

The good news for me, eventually this means, Dominic West, David Sedaris, and Stephen Colbert will appear on TGW. Someday.

Edited by name234, Oct 19, 2011 @ 7:07 PM.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

If they can manage to do that, it would be fabulous.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

cwaldo - for me it will be a crowning glory achievement if they can manage to cast Dominic West in role that can recur. They could conceivably cast Colbert as a media talking head of some kind.... but it was nice to have them confirm the we want everyone from the wire to appear on the show at least once. I don't know if they have made that statement before.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Somehow, I don't think that they will get Snoop to make an appearance.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Is she in prison? I lost track of her status.

OMAR! Stringer! Brody! Bring them on.

GrorgiaTeach

GrorgiaTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 11:51 PM

That would be the best casting ever. Omar is on HBO, Stringer is in a BBC show. I haven't seen Brody. Young Michael is on 90210. Several of the actors are on Treme for HBO. Snoop was arrested for possession earlier. Those actors would really bring a different air to The Good Wife!