3-1: "A New Day" 2011.09.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

191 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:33 AM

CHEAT TWEET: New cases, new colleagues, new relationships and even some new offices! #GoodWife returns 9/25pm ET/PT http://bit.ly/oxB4jc

"A New Day" - While the staff at Lockhart/Gardner adjusts to new realities and relationships, Alicia must put aside distractions in her personal life to defend a Muslim student accused of murdering a Jewish classmate, on the third season premiere of "THE GOOD WIFE," Sunday, Sept. 25 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

GUEST CAST:

Peter Florrick..........Chris Noth
Sophia Russo..........Kelli Giddish
Judge Karpman........Fred Melamed
Wasim Al-Said...........Omar Metwally
Professor Noah Fineman....Larry Bryggman
Michael Kahane...............Peter Jacobson
Steve "Scoot" Sartori......Nate Miller
Jennifer..................Anne Marsen
Amir Al-Zeid...........Tom Reed
Jimal Mifsud............Satya Bhabha
Tariq......................Ammar Ramzi
Jon-Erik Shapiro..........Seth Fisher
Sheriff....................Shauna Miles
Will's Assistant..........Vanessa Wasche

TELEPLAY BY: Robert & Michelle King
STORY BY: Meredith Averill
DIRECTED BY: Brooke Kennedy
GENRE: Drama
RATING: TV14-L

Keely1116

Keely1116

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

HBO could take some lessons from this show on how to make their sex scenes hotter.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

So Kalinda and Sophia are tag-teaming now?

Overall I'm kinda glad they started the day after so we could get a feel of how things would be at work. Still loving Eli and Cary.

divalite

divalite

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

Damn, that was good. Need to digest it more (and maybe watch it again). But wow, worth the wait.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

Overall I'm kinda glad they started the day after so we could get a feel of how things would be at work.

According to Julianna's tweets tonight, this episode takes place about a week after the night in the Presidential Suite.

And holy hell. I'm really really glad I didn't watch that episode with my parents tonight. YOWZA. Hot sex aside, I just love seeing Alicia so happy. It's such a nice change! The scene with Grace was adorable.

After seeing them in action in tonight's episode, I think I'm officially on Team Bangs.

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

HBO could take some lessons from this show on how to make their sex scenes hotter.

Not sure if using a juvenile double entendre such as "going at you too hard" and then enunciating it again a couple of seconds later as you aggressively advance your junk constitutes shmexiness, but the show is definitely trying damn hard...

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

HOLY CRAP that sex scene. Damn me for taking a shower before the show aired. Jesus.

Anisel

Anisel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

Holy sex scene!

That is all.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

Whoa.
I figured it would be at least 30 minutes into the episode before we actually learned what happened but it was definitely worth the wait. I was so disappointed at the lack of buildup in the season finale but they did it right this episode. I like the new Alicia.

I also like the blond investigator for the SA office. I didn't expect her to pop up again after last season but I think she fits right in. I am interested to see how they make things work for Eli on a long-term basis without the campaign but I am glad he is sticking around too. Throw in some Julian and Dabid every now and again and the cast will be perfect.

I thought the Bollywood moment with the tutor was HILARIOUS. Good stuff. The only weakness is this episode for me was the case. I thought the antics on both sides saved it a little bit but overall very good start to the season. And I am so glad we have our own forum, yay!!!

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:50 PM

I guess we don't have to worry about the show being toned down for the earlier timeslot. The ratings and scheduling thread should be called: "Don't move"

Kalinda continues to be able to work both with and against the opposition at the same time. I like that Sophia is interested in getting the right suspect more than she is interested in getting the win for the case they've already made, but I'm not sure how that will work for her as an employee of a legal operation.

I did not see it coming that Peter would be blase about the governor job.

I did see it coming that 8:45 would be meeting Alicia.

I love Diane.

MzRandom

MzRandom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

I guess they have been making up for all of those bad timing moments before. Damn I like happy Alicia. She's fiery..I kinda figured out the case from the moment the Tareq was so evasive during Kalinda's questioning but still enjoyed the antics of both sides. Anything for a win?

Can't wait for this season to develope.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

Great premiere episode. I too was wowed at the sex scene. So hot. Worth the wait.

The case kept me guessing as to which roommate was guilty. I liked that Alicia figured out that it wasn't about politics, it was college kids so it was probably personal. Nice scene of Kalinda and Kelli Giddish's character taking down the murderer in the bar.

For some reason I kept thinking that Grace's tutor was actually male and not female. I was sure that she would turn out to be transgender, but there was no twist there.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

What were we supposed to read into from that last scene? I originally thought Alicia was having second thoughts, but then I saw the preview for next week's episode and it looks like these Will/Alicia rendezvous are still happily going on.

And what was with Will's speech to Kalinda about "not feeling anything" but pretending that he does? Was he trying to mislead Kalinda or are we to believe that he might be having second thoughts too?

braziliangirl

braziliangirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I've gotta say have no idea how to read Will's reactions. His talk with Kalinda got me intrigued.

I'm also on "love Diane" train...

The kids still bore me.

eta: calidub wrote everything I was thinking but faster.

Edited by braziliangirl, Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:19 PM.

scatteroflight

scatteroflight

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Best season premiere I've seen yet.

Is Eli really blind to what's going on between Alicia and Will, or is he being willfully blind to what's going on between Alicia and Will? The man is not stupid and he knows something is up with Alicia. That combined with Peter calling him out on not wanting a divorced candidate leads me to believe Eli knows what's what (though maybe not explicitly) and he's just trying to do damage control.

Poor Diane. She's right. She is the only adult left there. I can't imagine she's going to be very happy when she learns about Alicia and Will's affair or the reason for Kalinda and Alicia's falling out, and at the end of the day, she has every right to demand that people act like the professionals she's hired them to be. That said, both situations leave the firm open to potential fallout, particularly now that Lockhart Gardner has made an (unholy) alliance with Eli Gold (and by extension, Peter).

Last season, I felt somewhat sorry for Cary, but I'm back to hating the wannabe-Machiavellian little twerp. His choice of Peter as a mentor cannot end well. Cary has none of the charisma or the true guile of Peter (but maybe that's just my carry-over dislike of Matt Czuchry from his Gilmore girls days, through no fault of the actor).

And oh, Peter. This is what's interesting to me. Not the nonsense of the back and forth of the Florrick marriage, or even (I hope) the impending divorce. I like watching Alicia and Peter interact on the periphery of the landmine of their marriage and their kids, because those personal elements bring juicy baggage into their professional relationship. There is so much potential damage they can do to each other in the context of their work, and to see this woman, who is trying to develop a self-identity through her work (probably for the first time in her life) having to battle against her ex at every turn, is compelling television to me.

I did not see it coming that Peter would be blase about the governor job.

But it makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Peter's biggest concern right now is Alicia. He has declared something of a personal vendetta against her, coming up to her in court and telling her that he knows how she thinks (and will use it against her) and declaring that she's going to lose to him (vis-a-vis his office). He's angry at her and everything else, including the race for Governor, will fall by the wayside until she comes to her senses.

So don't care about this little subplot involving Grace and her tutor. It's a waste of time that I wish they were spending on other, more interesting characters.

The Israeli-Palestinian story was interesting enough but I had the real killer pegged immediately, so it was a lot of waiting around for everyone to put the pieces together.

Absolutely. There's a lot to be said for the power of suggestion. There was nothing overtly graphic about Alicia and Will's encounter, but it was all kinds of hot. Wow.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

I think Alicia realized that he wascoming to their home..a home she shared with Peter...and for the first time they were about to do it in her home..Ther'efore, this was real and not some hot fantasy.
I LOVED that last look....and I loved this episode....Worth the wait for summer..and yeah, that sex scene was hot...I was hoping for a little "somethin', somethin'" with Cary and Kalinda but I'll wait for that to happen...
Was I the only one thinking that Peter hired that investigator because she was hot and he might get a shot at nailing her?

MT3

MT3

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

Although I enjoyed seeing Alicia and Will together, overall all of the bickering gave me the feeling of a little kid watching Mommy and Daddy fight, "Just stop it!"

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

And what was with Will's speech to Kalinda about "not feeling anything" but pretending that he does? Was he trying to mislead Kalinda or are we to believe that he might be having second thoughts too?

I'm curious about that statement and what it means (if anything) for his relationship with Alicia too.

Too bad Kelli Giddish (Sophia) is now a regular on LAW & Order: SVU. I really like her and I hear SUV has really jumped the shark.

Edited by oreo8704, Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

I guess we don't have to worry about the show being toned down for the earlier timeslot. The ratings and scheduling thread should be called: "Don't move"

Yes Please, I would love for the thread to be titled that.

This was a fantastic premiere and, again, had not a thing to do with the CotW, although I do generally like them as well. But watching Peter do battle with Alicia through Cary and then watching them be so coldly polite at the end there. I have a feeling there is still a lot to go down with that marriage.

I like having Eli in Alicia's space, as it were. I think there is the potential for all kinds of good drama there. Especially with him watching her in the guise of Peter's governer aspirations. Well Eli's anyway.

And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on with Alicia and Will and then BAM! Holy Sex Scene Batman! That was hot. Wow. And I like them keeping it quiet at the firm and the way they're keeping it quiet.

You know it's interesting. I didn't even read too much into that until you mentioned it. I hope we get some follow up on that.

Here's hoping Alicia and Kalinda work things out but I wouldn't mind if it takes awhile either. There is a really interesting dynamic going on with them and the way they are still efficient with the cases but so awkward outside of them.

Overall a good start to the season!

Edited by SanLynn, Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:34 PM.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

The random moment where Sophia and Kalinda got distracted into a side debate about the merits of various Chicago gay bars made me laugh. It almost made up for the scene of Sophia lounging on the couch like a madam at the state's attorney office, which I found to be eyeroll-worthy.

I, too, was confused about the gender of Grace's deep-voiced tutor and not quite sure what the point of that subplot was, except as a very roundabout way to show that yes, Alicia is still a good mom.

Pretty good premiere, I thought, especially Eli-wise.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

I like the new Alycia too.

But I thought the pairing of Kalinda and Sophia was predictable, boring and lazy. Two dykes taking down a gay guy...really?

Does Diane show up at 845?

Overall a good beginning.

Edited by Guitargal, Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:43 PM.

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

The kids still bore me.

Boarding school, accident, overdose. Anything to write those ciphers out of the show, please. Hate the whole nutty tutor development. Didn't we do the whole Grace-coming-under-the-influence-of-a-whacky-role-model-so-she-can-act-out-peevishly-against-her-parents'-split thing with her nutty religious friend? Why can't she just develop a goddam personality of her own? Or just fall into a coma already.

Also, doing your disgraceful spazz dance to 'Bollywood' music just because you happen upon a group of Indians is in no way charming. It's just fucking stupid.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

But I thought the pairing of Kalinda and Sophia was predictable, boring and lazy. Two dykes taking down a gay guy...really?

I thought Kalinda was bisexual, when did that change? I actually thought it was quite badass but that could just be my love for Kalinda filtering through.

Didn't we do the whole Grace-coming-under-the-influence-of-a-whacky-role-model-so-she-can-act-out-peevishly-against-her-parents'-split thing with her nutty religious friend? Why can't she just develop a goddam personality of her own?

That was my one critique of the episode after a re-watch. Out of the two I find Zach more interesting.

Edited by onestepaway07, Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:04 PM.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Too bad Kelli Giddish (Sophia) is now a regular on LAW & Order: SVU. I really like her and I hear SUV has really jumped the shark.

I thought that was her but convinced myself I was wrong. That does suck because SVU has lapped the shark.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Also, doing your disgraceful spazz dance to 'Bollywood' music just because you happen upon a group of Indians is in no way charming. It's just fucking stupid.

I was going to say "offensive," but mileage may vary. I was surprised that the Indians looked amused or at least benevolent rather than derisive or pissed off.

Was he trying to mislead Kalinda or are we to believe that he might be having second thoughts too?

I wondered that, too. If it's the latter, then finding his ardour for Alicia cooled once she was actually available to him and that he didn't really feel anything for her and was just faking it would be such a Will thing. Not to mention it would prove S1 Alicia right, when she told Will "If it had been us...we would have lasted a week. (...) It's romantic because it didn't happen." Ugh.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

I loved the fact that they got Chicago details correct in this episode. First with the Red Light Violation papers and then with real gay bars- Scarlett and Sidetrack. I guess they did research into Chicago over the summer which makes me happy.

This episode was so hot especially the Alicia-Will sex scene and Kalinda and Sophia taking down the killer at the bar.

Welcome back show!!

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

I wondered that, too. If it's the latter, then finding his ardour for Alicia cooled once she was actually available to him and that he didn't really feel anything for her and was just faking it would be such a Will thing.

Given how literal-minded Will was with his so-fuckin-sweet-I-gots-to-say-it-twice "too hard" line, I took his "can't feel nuthin" comments to be a bit of a dig at Alicia.

Good for Kalinda for letting him feel something. That's the Kalinda I want to see. Not the Kalinda that gets fooled by some fratboy Cary trick.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

It almost made up for the scene of Sophia lounging on the couch like a madam at the state's attorney office, which I found to be eyeroll-worthy.

That scene annoyed me so much, especially with Peter introducing her as "cheap". What professional sits in a chair like that? She's at work, not at home curled up on her couch. I hate her. She worked nicely with Kalinda later on, but she's got to tone down the slut routine in the office.

I also did not like the crazy tutor.

Edited by Cress, Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:01 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

Late, but my take on the episode:

Meh. It was just...meh. Nothing to get excited over. If the show tried to establish some "radical new status quo," it didn't really work for me. I thought it was boring.

Even my watch partner, who is a HUGE Will/Alicia fan, was a little "..." at their "interlude." I'm not a Will/Alicia fan, and while I thought it was hot, it didn't quite work for me and I can't pinpoint why. I mean, it was TOTALLY hot (way hotter than the partial nudity on Starz or HBO or whatever), it just...didn't seem to fit. (My watch partner thought the same thing. Maybe it was just us?) I thought Alicia's panicked moment in Will's apartment when she heard the sound of kids, plus her look in the mirror at the end of the episode, were huge red flags that she's not as okay with/into it as she's pretending or has convinced herself she is; that, plus Will's "I pretend to feel things" comment made me really interested in where that's going. That said, I credit the show for showing Will/Alicia having an affair--I wasn't (though I should have been) expecting the "we're playing at being cold to cover everything," so that was a surprising and well-done curve. and much better than another season of ridiculous pining.

Glad Diane figured it out in .5 seconds though. And I'm glad Eli has regained his badassness.

I wish Kelli Giddish could stay, she and AP's Kalinda are FUN. She and AP have really great chemistry--the best AP's had with anyone since Jill Flint's Agent Sexy--and Sophia keeps Kalinda on her toes. I floved the Kalinda/Sophia/Cary scene, because Cary just seemed so out of his league. And I thought Kalinda and Sophia's expressions when they realized the backward swastika was just because the kid didn't know how to draw it were hilarious. KG is quite a good actress, and both she and her character are a much better foil for Kalinda than Blake was. (Although, yeah, the lounging-on-couch scene was a little OTT.) Glad you can still see Kalinda's subtle maturation/growth process. Thought the Alicia/Kalinda catfight was a "damn!" moment, but I also liked Kalinda tripping over herself to take the blame instead of Alicia. She still loves Alicia even though she's trying HARD not to. And I think that Kalinda knew that Will's "I pretend to feel" comment was partially about Alicia--she definitely knew they were rendezvousing at 8:45--and her hitting him was a little bit of an "if you break her heart I will be VERY UNHAPPY." Like a warning slap.

Not the Kalinda that gets fooled by some fratboy Cary trick.

I was hoping that Cary's trick would put a dent in the friendship. But then I remembered that Kalinda and Cary are supposed to have buckets of UST, and I sighed. Heavily.

The Alicia and Grace moment was really, really nice, but the Grace tutor thing was just a huge miss. wtf is the point?

In an episode about racism, it was also painfully insensitive and offensive.

I also appreciated Alicia and Peter working out the co-parenting. They can't seriously believe they're going to keep that under wraps for long, though. The truth will come out VERY quickly.

leads me to believe Eli knows what's what (though maybe not explicitly) and he's just trying to do damage control.

I think Eli knows Alicia/Will are a thing, but has decided it's better (for everyone and for a variety of reasons) if Peter doesn't.

And oh, Peter. This is what's interesting to me.

Co-sign! The Alicia/Peter relationship will be by far the most fascinating thing about S3, I can already tell. (Of course, I thought the same thing about S2, and we see how THAT turned out. Sigh.)

The case was a miss for me because they acted like bringing the kid to trial would be a huge, life-or-death thing. Except there's CLEARLY NO WAY the kid was ever going to be convicted on the ridiculous evidence presented tonight, so it fell flat.

According to Julianna's tweets tonight, this episode takes place about a week after the night in the Presidential Suite.

The emphasis on "you want to talk...about last night?" seems weird, then. A better fit if it's really the day after.

Edited by stealinghome, Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:08 AM.

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

I thought Kalinda was bisexual, when did that change? I actually thought it was quite badass but that could just be my love for Kalinda filtering through.

I would say that's true for both of them, considering Sophia is married. Was the comment supposed to be a dig, or trendy? Cause I know the scene was very cliche, but I didn't think it warranted such, what could be considered, a derogatory comment.

Edited by CabotsintheWind, Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:25 AM.