The Fades: I Can See Dead People, and Boy Are They Pissed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

48 replies to this topic

Calchal

Calchal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 5:41 AM

The anti-killing is very traditional DC superhero of him but at the same time this isn't about not killing criminals, the fades are monsters.

NirgDrah

NirgDrah

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

same time this isn't about not killing criminals, the fades are monsters.

But the fades aren't monsters. They are like reverse zombies, bodiless souls rather than soulless bodies. That's why it's interesting.

Calchal

Calchal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 6:24 AM

You eat kids and show no remorse? You're a monster. I'd bet good money Sarah ends up eating her husband, even though at the moment she seems aware of what she's becoming.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 8:20 AM

Oh my, after two great episodes, this horrid mess of a finale was quite a disappointment.

I can't even begin to say how idiotic Paul's "I'm not a killer" motto was. These are motherfucking monsters who butchered half of your town and fed on the corpses. Sure, some of them had suffered for ages like John did, but what the fuck? He can't even kill John when this might well be the only chance to save human race from extinction? Watching John be two steps behind a wounded and beaten up Paul was plain hilarious, even slow-mo could not compensate for all the ridiculousness.

Also there were too many double standards on this show, way too many. Neil tortures a Fade - Paul is disgusted and helps John, who immediately slaughters other people in front of Paul. The Fades presumably had murdered hundreds and hundreds of people, yet somehow it seems that Neil is a lot worse because he kills Jay.

It was a great build up, too bad the finale failed to deliver.

kony5669

kony5669

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

The worst thing about the finale was Mark. He's the most pointless (and boring) character the entire season and the finale just made me wonder what was the point in having him appear in every episode. Not to mention that I don't understand him at all; at first, he said to Sarah "what ever it is, we'll get through it together", or something like that, and then he leaves with that other woman "as far away as possible". I used to think that Sarah was a pointless boring character too, but at least she served a purpose in the finale.

I have to say that I'm not really sad that Jay is dead. She was always my least favorite character.

I think it was hinted that Anna may have a bigger role next season (if there is another season, does anyone know?), I look forward to that. Now that there's not many Angelics left, maybe Mac, Paul and Anna will fight whatever comes next season.

I liked the finale, maybe it wasn't as good as the previous two episodes, but I thought it was a good last episode. It was an episode in which important things happened, and it set up more things for next season, if there is one. Next season should be very different, this finale shook up the status quo quite a lot.

I can't even begin to say how idiotic Paul's "I'm not a killer" motto was.

I see your point, but I also understand Paul. I think Paul didn't want to be a "monster", like the Fades. He didn't want to be responsible for killing anybody, especially when he believed he could solve everything by reopening ascension. But, when Neil, John and Paul were in the Mayor's office and Paul didn't kill John, I thought he was being stupid, 'cause he could kill John and then go to the shopping mall and reopen ascension more easily that leaving him alive when it was obvious John would follow him and try to stop him, as he did.

Also there were too many double standards on this show, way too many. [...] The Fades presumably had murdered hundreds and hundreds of people, yet somehow it seems that Neil is a lot worse because he kills Jay.

I agree with you on that, but I guess it has to do with the fact that Neil wasn't supposed to be a bad guy, so when he does that, knowing how much it would hurt Paul, it's surprising, and it looks worse, 'cause he was one of the good guys. Also, it's kind of a personal attack on Paul. But what the Fades were doing and what the Neil was doing killing Jay, it's the same, just killing people to serve their purpose, what they thought was right.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I see your point, but I also understand Paul. I think Paul didn't want to be a "monster", like the Fades. He didn't want to be responsible for killing anybody, especially when he believed he could solve everything by reopening ascension.

No, I absolutely get that. Personally, I think that there is no way we can talk about killing when we speak of dead people who need to murder living people to keep going (and murder more living people). But I understand that Paul is this classic hero who feels pity for Fades. I also perfectly understand that he sees that many of these Fades have gone through terrible torment and became angry and psychotic. But it just isn't enough, not in the situation that he was in.

He is the one person who can save the world. This is his only shot at this. John is one step away from him and he has shot him already. One lucky hit - and Paul goes down. And then they will kill him, kill everybody he loves and end the days of the humanity. And then, ultimately, they will have to eat each other, when there is nobody left to eat, so everybody in the fucking world will just die. So he could just have killed John for the sake of his precious Fades, really.

Yet Paul doesn't even see it necessary to at least threaten John with smiting him with his hand. Not once. It's not just unrealistic, it's plain insane. I mean, I've seen 10 seasons of Smallville with Clark Kent and his bullshit morality, but this finale pretty much topped all of that.

This being said, I can even understand Paul not killing Jon in that room with Neil - he obviously didn't want to give Neil the pleasure of seeing that he made Paul do what he wanted him to do by killing Jay and taking his loved ones hostage. It's the scene in the shopping center that ruined it all for me. As much as I admire Joe Dempsie and his remarkable talent, it really wasn't worth keeping him on screen for 5 more minutes.

Edited by Prospero, Oct 28, 2011 @ 2:11 AM.

funkmachine

funkmachine

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 12:36 PM

I finally saw the finale and I agree with posts above. I wish that someone had told Paul that he isn't a "killer" like the angelics who torture or Neil or John who are at the "by any means necessary" stage in fighting for their position. Paul needed to kill at least 1-2 reborns for self-defense. I wish someone had sat down and tell him that "not being a killer" does someone no good if they don't engage in self-defense.

I think it would have better served the story if he had made the attempt to take John out, couldn't do it and then John found him anyway at the mall. The kidnapping of Paul's family and the killing of Jay was just too much.

BTW, what were Paul's options? Was he really supposed to kill all the reborns and not try to reopen ascension? Paul had essentially two options that I saw and going around taking out one reborn at a time was hardly the best solution the problem. I get that this will have larger ripples in the future, but that was essentially all he could have done now.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

It starts Jan 14th in the US.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

Recorded this last night on BBC America. Just watched it and I do not like it. Normally I give it two or three but for me this was like Camelot. Atrocious. I won't be watching again and I'm bummed because it has the hot Tom Ellis in it.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I recorded this and have watched it... not really sure what to think. At first I wasn't really sold but then I started growing on me as the 75 minutes went by. I love Natalie Dormer, so her being in the show caught my attention. Haven't seen the younger actors before, but I'm at least interested enough to watch another episode.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

I watched this when it aired on BBC. After episode 2, I was thisclose to giving up on the show, but it kinda turned a corner in ep 3. Still think it's a bit of a mess, but it did get more compelling for me. So unless you absolutely hated the first episode, I'd give it more of a chance.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

I checked this out solely for Natalie Dormer and I liked it enough to give a few episodes to gel. I like the best friend and thought he was funny. Plus he quoted Morpheus. :-) A bit bummed that Sarah became a Fade because now I can't root for her and her husband to reconcile. The rooftop explanation of who and what Fades are was helpful but I'm still not exactly sure what is going on. But I guess that's why I need to tune back in.

OwenThurman

OwenThurman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

I'm trying to send this message back in time. I'm sending it to myself.

Hi, this is your future self, and I'm sending this message to tell you: do not waste one second of your life on this program. It adds up to less than nothing. A series of contrived antagonists provide stupid opposition without any believable rationale -- "you can't succeed, so I'll try and stop you!" -- in order to create conflicts that aren't resolved through brilliant decisions but by authorial fiat. And these authors are far too hackish to be given any form of fiat.

If you watch this program, my past self, you will resent wasting a bunch of hours of your life, and then you'll feel tricked and annoyed and you'll post uninspired rants on TWOP.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

In the end, I liked this show. I was on the fence for the first three episodes. But what finally drew me in was Paul's relationship with Mac. I just love those two. Neill turned into a pathetic and insane little man. I loved how murdering virtually everyone in town seemed to be a viable solution to the problem with the monsters killing everyone in town. Neill really suffers from a lack of imagination. I was very surprised to see Jay get shot. I really didn't think they would go there. The finale was certainly a downer. I do appreciate that Paul didn't come through that ordeal, completely unscathed. He seemed six types of crazy at the end. Fair play to him. I would be crazy too. I hope the show gets another season because that would be a terrible place to leave poor Paul forever.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I am a few weeks behind, but just watched the finale. WTF was that?! Neil apparently got on the first train to crazy town and took Paul's family hostage and killed Jay. I was honestly hoping that Paul would use his crazy angel fire on Neil, because Neil was pissing me off. I was actively rooting for him to die.

I'm glad that Sarah got to ascend in the end... but agree, what was the point of Mark, in the end? I guess he made Sarah take a good hard look at what she had become, but... his running out of town with another woman the minute the moment Sarah left was out of nowhere. Well, good riddance.

If there is a second season, I hope it involves Paul, Anna, and Mac fighting the Fades-- and Neil dying like the crazy motherfucker he has become. In fact, it might be awesome if Paul goes a little crazy too, given what he experienced. However, I have no idea if I would watch a second series.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Ok I watched the entire season...and I still can't figure out what the hell I watched.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Hi, this is your future self, and I'm sending this message to tell you: do not waste one second of your life on this program. It adds up to less than nothing. A series of contrived antagonists provide stupid opposition without any believable rationale -- "you can't succeed, so I'll try and stop you!" -- in order to create conflicts that aren't resolved through brilliant decisions but by authorial fiat. And these authors are far too hackish to be given any form of fiat.

If you watch this program, my past self, you will resent wasting a bunch of hours of your life, and then you'll feel tricked and annoyed and you'll post uninspired rants on TWOP.

This. I really can't remember when a show with substantial potential would rely so heavily on story resolution in the finale and then had failed to deliver so miserably.

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I just watched the whole season, and I really enjoyed it. The depiction of teenage life was convincing and I loved the creation of a whole new mythology, not the same tired old vampires-werewolves-witches stuff.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

I've watched all the eps but the last one. Then I find out that there won't be a Season two. What's the point? Does the 'season finale" actually offer any kind of closure?