9:1 "Day of the Daleks"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1 reply to this topic

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:36 PM

The two-disc DVD of this is out now. It arrived last week and I watched both the regular and Special Editions within a 24-hour time period.

They were great. Three was in top form, the Daleks hadn't been seen in about five years, We get Sgt. Benton, Captain Yates, and the Brig, and Jo was not annoying. The wine and cheese bit in episode one killed me. It's nice to see The Doctor enjoying himself a bit before we get to the Venusian Karate and "Action by Havoc!"

I thought the regular version moved along well and I didn't have any problems with the Dalek voices, as do a lot of fans. So, they sound a bit off...that's fine. They still exterminate with abandon.

The SE beefs up the original with new effects and shots which really blend in well to the existing footage. The Dalek voices are done by Nic Briggs, who is cool and all that, and there was new footage shot with a vintage 16mm camera to add to the final battle. It matches up great, and I had no idea what was new until watching the "Making Of..." for it.

My only quibble is The Doctor shoots an Ogron first without any reason in the original (and the end of episode stings exist in some form in episodes one and two). But, in the SE, the Ogron shoots at Three--who blasts him back. A bit Greedo there.

Glorious fun for me to watch again after 30 years since I saw it last.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:14 AM

Actually, there's already a thread for that episode.