4-10: "Salud" 2011.09.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

304 replies to this topic

blahface

blahface

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Good episode, but I have a hard time believing that Jesse can outgun the guy who was sharpshooting Gus's guys earlier.

maderas

maderas

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

The guy who was sharpshooting Gus's guys got garroted to death by Mike at the pool. Think the one Jesse killed was a random mook.

Edited by maderas, Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:12 PM.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Better Call Saul! That was a lame stunt and I hope Ted doesn't screw up things.

Poor Walt Jr. was underwhelmed with the safe car Mom picked out. Then the poor kid has to see the trainwreck of his dad. I assume he brought his dad the extra pair of his glasses? At least Walt really does love his son.

Oh shit, I thought Jesse was in over his head but he showed some major balls. Even Mike grinned when he was confronting the "asshole".

Gus hugging the Don? Uncomfortable. I figured something was wrong with that drink. Brilliant move again Gus.

...and Jesse saves the day!?!

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

OMG, the show was incredible tonight! Gus finally got his revenge.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Glad someone started the thread- couldn't wait to comment! A couple of first thoughts:

1. Jesse P is a BAD Mutha Hush Yo Mouth.
2. Gustavo F is a BAD Mutha Hush Yo Mouth.
3. How in the hell did Walt weasel his way back in to my sympathies in one episode after I've spent this season abhorring his awful behavior?
4. Skyler IS as dumb as I always thought she was.
5. Damn, but I love this show!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

So I guess this was the plan Gus had for Jesse when he faked the robbery earlier in the season. Trying to figure out if he could handle himself in a crisis.

The poisoned drink think was kind of cliche. I figured Gus just took an antidote beforehand, but then he vomited the drink up.....??? Not sure about that. I just kept thinking of The Princess Bride.

There is no way Walt's mom had him tested when he was a kid for Huntington's disease. The genetic testing, the only way to make the diagnosis that far ahead of time, didn't exist at the time. I don't know if thats a clue or a slip up by the writers.

96% pure.....still not as good as Walt's but they don't know that.

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

So I'm caught up in the repeat but I will say two things:

1: Fuck Yeah!!!
2: I totally called Gus's resistance to iocaine powder. Were we supposed to?

spoonflipper

spoonflipper

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Walt calling Walt Jr. Jesse was one of my favorite moments ever.

I was thinking Skyler would go as far as hiring muscle to...persuade Ted into paying the IRS. Though perhaps she's not that bad yet.

So much awesome. Jesse was badass. Though having to kill again isn't going to do anything good for his soul. Loved Jesse balling out the cartel chemists and being angry his meth was "only" 96% pure. He was totally channeling Walter.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

2: I totally called Gus's resistance to iocaine powder. Were we supposed to?

The Princess Bride was the first thing I thought of as well.

It occurs to me that the revenge backstory was totally unnecessary to set up Gus disposing of the cartel in this manner. God knows he's ruthless enough to do it without needing some revenge motive.

The nearly naked ladies getting the fuck out of dodge with whatever they could carry as quickly as their spindly stiletto heels could carry them was a hilarious visual.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I thought the same thing 96% pure - not as good as Walt.

So much happening in this episode, so many details. Kudos to the make-up "people"!

Woodward Ave

Woodward Ave

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Wow. Mr. White broke free of Heisenberg and his true feelings made an appearance. Loved when he called Walt Jr. "Jesse" (Walt Jr. probably didn't like it much though). Poor Walter.......great scene. So was Jesse's when he acted tough and told the cartel cook where to go....and didn't flinch when he found out he spoke English. "So you understand what asshole means" Awesome.

I don't like Gus much but I gotta say.....what a magnificent plan. Hope Mike is ok.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

1. Jesse P is a BAD Mutha Hush Yo Mouth.
2. Gustavo F is a BAD Mutha Hush Yo Mouth.
3. How in the hell did Walt weasel his way back in to my sympathies in one episode after I've spent this season abhorring his awful behavior?
4. Skyler IS as dumb as I always thought she was.
5. Damn, but I love this show!

Not only Jesse can cook, but he can shoot a gun!

Yes, Skyler is so dumb. You give 600K to your boss who goes out an leases a Mercedes. And wait until Walt finds out what you did with the money.. She's not satisfied with Walt buying Walt Jr a Dodge Challenger, so she gets him a Chrysler (??).

Gus gets his revenge by poisoning the Anejo (Tequila).

Walt, you are such a sleaze.

Edited by MightyMac63, Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:33 PM.

blahface

blahface

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

How pure was Walt's meth? I think Gales was 95%, is that right?

When I saw Jesse at only 96%, I thought he was screwed.

Edited by blahface, Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:26 PM.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

I thought the background story on Gus was necessary to understand what in the hell was going on. Excellent writing as always and kudos to the "make-up" people.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable "Ted gets killed" scene. What a dumbass.

Woodward Ave

Woodward Ave

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable "Ted gets killed" scene. What a dumbass.

Lol, me too. What I am not looking forward to is that there are only three ep's left. It's just cruel.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

When I saw Jesse at only 96%, I thought he was screwed.

So would Gale's be 96 also?

Box Cutter:

Gus: "How pure can pure be?"

Gale: Its that last three percent. It may not sound like a lot, but it is.

And I also thought the built-up poison resistance ruse, a la "Princess Bride".

Edited by WD69, Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:38 PM.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

As always, I'm sure there are multiple shades of relevance in the episode title: Salud, as I understand it, literally means "health". Ok, you brilliant expositors: Let's hear it...

Obviously, several people's health took various turns for the worse:

*Walt is recuperating from the beating...and what was up with his speech to Jr. about the way he wants to be remembered? I think those who are speculating that the cancer is back may be right- another health issue

*Don Eladio and his gang are, well, SERIOUSLY hung over. I mean literally hung over chairs...and one of them was literally hung ( I guess garroting is a form of hanging

*Mike and Gus are definitely having health problems

What else am I missing?

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

I was surprised that Jesse wasn't freaked out when he found out that Gus was going to leave him. It's too bad that I had to see Mike reassure Jesse, because it tipped that Gus had a bigger plan.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

My God but Saul had on a colorful shirt and tie in the carwash. I don't believe I've ever seen that pink of a pink.

So, having not done my homework on the Emmys and their nomination schedule, I watched some of it tonight fully expecting more BB glory. I was outraged and kept having the same thought: what kind of crazy, whacked out, alternate universe have I been inadvertently beamed to, where this show and all it's actors and writers, et al. are not even in the running for one thing?!

It's okay now (google is your friend). This episode was GREAT. I loved the Walt/Walt Jr scene. Cranston is incredible.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

Okay Gus is the most badass badass that ever badassed. Wow. Just wow.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

What was the drink Gus brought as a present to Don Eladio? Obviously something rare and special, but I'd never heard of it. I'm curious how Gus knew Don Eladio would immediately open it and propose a toast. I half-expected the Don to hand the bottle over to his chemist for a poison check before he drank, but he obviously thought he was safe if Gus drank first. A lot of y'all flashed on Princess Bride for that scene but I flashed on Margo Martindale in Justified. "It was in the glass".

Poor Skyler...trying to generate some excitement in her teenage son by talking up the car's safety features...everything a young man doesn't care about. Even the very practical dark blue color was just wrong wrong wrong. It would have been so much better to give him a set amount to spend and take him to a car lot and let him choose his own.

I would so watch the Gus, Mike and Jesse road show. It's going to be such a bonding experience for the three of them that I don't see how Walt ever can make his way back into their circle again. And I suspect none of the three will be interested in letting him back in either. This may pave the way for next season: Walt vs the Trinity of Badass MoFos.

Wapa

Wapa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

Oh man, that was a hell of an episode. So much going on, so much to like. I can't believe they had so much happen in only an hour; it felt like it could have easily been a 2 hour special. I'll hit everything I liked.

I liked Junior getting a car for his birthday and his teenage indifference to it being a boring "safe" car. Very amusing.

Walt having an emotional breakdown, in front of his own kid, no less was powerful. That's alot to lay on your own teenage son even if you are under the influence of painkillers and alcohol. His monologue about his own dad was really good as well.

Jesse maturing and taking charge of the meth lab and kicking the ass of the Cartel's own chemist. Who just so happened to be the guy who played Bernard (?) on 24 for 2 or 3 seasons.

I just knew that Skyler was gonna help pay Tom's IRS fines and just knew that he was gonna be a moron and use the money for his own selfish needs instead. I do love how she came clean that it was her that gave the money.

All through the meeting with Don Eladio I just knew something was going to go down. I thought the gift contained a bomb of some sort. I thought the alcohol was poisoned, which temporarily went away when Gus drank it. But then when he excused himself and threw up my suspicions were confirmed. It was great how he got his revenge after 20 years. I just hope he doesn't die. Or Mike for that matter.

spoonflipper

spoonflipper

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

When Gus took Jesse's tequila away I thought there was some poisoning about to go down -I thought he might even risk going down with the cartel just for the vengeance. But when he took off his jacket in the bathroom a la 'Box Cutter' I was howling with glee knowing some serious stuff was about to happen.

No one takes off their suit jacket like Giancarlo.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

The bad part about this AMC will spoil the moment by informing us before the show beings "this show may contain violence" aka somebody is about to die!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

When I saw Jesse at only 96%, I thought he was screwed

I thought Gale's was 96% as well.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

What was the drink Gus brought as a present to Don Eladio? Obviously something rare and special, but I'd never heard of it. I'm curious how Gus knew Don Eladio would immediately open it and propose a toast. I half-expected the Don to hand the bottle over to his chemist for a poison check before he drank, but he obviously thought he was safe if Gus drank first. A lot of y'all flashed on Princess Bride for that scene but I flashed on Margo Martindale in Justified. "It was in the glass".

It was an ultra rare Tequila, as the Don inferred ("Even the bottle is a work of art"). We saw the Don's proclivity for tequila in the flashback episode.

Many thought that Gus developed an immunity to the poison so he could partake of a poisoned bottle, which was a ruse introduced in the 1987 movie "The Princess Bride". I guess throwing it up sufficed to the writers. Gus takes the bitter risk for his sweet revenge.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

Did they say the kind of poison? Was it Jesse's ricinbeans?

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

I thought Gale's was 96% as well.

It was. Walter's was over 99 percent pure. They covered this in the intro of "Boxcutter" where Gale assured Gus a 96 percent purity but marveled at Walt's blue meth.

Gale. Its that last three percent. It may not sound like a lot, but it is. It's everything.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

Poor Skyler...trying to generate some excitement in her teenage son by talking up the car's safety features...everything a young man doesn't care about. Even the very practical dark blue color was just wrong wrong wrong. It would have been so much better to give him a set amount to spend and take him to a car lot and let him choose his own.

The worst thing is that it's a chick car. (I drive a stereotypical chick car too.) For a boy, an SUV (other than an Aztek) or a pickup would be more appropriate.