Up with Chris Hayes: Politics, Policy, and Pastries

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

485 replies to this topic

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

It was actually funny when the lady said she "speaks to lots of people". Everyone at the table sort of nodded and went "HAH! I've seen better evasion from my 2 year old."

Seriously, the DOJ just caught someone who embezzled $16M from the DOD. By her logic we should hold senate hearings on all their finances for the past 20 years and pull all of their funding.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 6:16 AM

I might get to watch a full show this weekend.

The first segment was about the occupation of Wall Street and how Obama has not done what people expected to save the world. I'm getting tired of that discussion. I can't imagine facing what Obama has had to deal with in two years. Before the Republicans took over the House, I thought things were gradually improving. It was after they got back that we started to flounder again.

My one wish for today's show is that he does not talk about Steve Jobs. The media was over the top on coverage of Steve's death this week. Steve deserved a few minutes coverage, but not the amount of coverage his passing was given. I changed the channel the evening he passed away and kept checking back to find they were still covering him.

The next topic was on Student Loans. I have a relative who is trying to manipulate her husband into taking out a loan so that their bright elementary age child can go to a private school. She says they owe it to the child.

It is nice to see different faces from the regulars on MSNBC.

I've wondered for years how major companies could continue to eliminate jobs in this country by going global and still expect to keep customers in this country. If you don't have a job, you can't continue to pay for services at the old level. That old saying about reaping what you sow applies. I'm not against global sourcing, but don't believe the long-term repercussions were considered. They didn't talk about this on the show but the "jobs - wall street" discussion got me thinking about this.

Added: Well, that was eye opening on Steve Jobs' factories in China. It was not another cookie cutter homage.

Edited by madfortv, Oct 8, 2011 @ 7:29 AM.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Is is my imagination or is the conservative seat of the week talking the most. I would fast forward through parts of Chris' show and the guy would still be talking.

I love how Chris manages to restrain himself from shooting down most of what pops out of his mouth.

I think that one of the reasons why Americans have such a problem with credit is that a lot of it depends on understanding math economics. I didn't take this in out of my three years of extra math in college, but one thing I did recognize was that most sales and contracts were a form of linear algebra. (a class that I took in my 5th year of college - for fun). Which cell phone / cable plan is best for you is a series of choices to maximize benefit to you. You have to go on gut instead of running the numbers.

If people barely made it through high school and are now looking at financial aid forms, how the hell are they going make the best choices financially? Those online colleges are just snake oil salesmen and the government is on the hook for funding it.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2011 @ 6:34 PM

Is is my imagination or is the conservative seat of the week talking the most. I would fast forward through parts of Chris' show and the guy would still be talking.

To be honest my own imagination was too busy dressing Dorian Warren up, or should I say down, in various colored CK boxer briefs to notice much. I know. I'm a pig. The guy is brilliant and I'm distracted by the pretty. The very, very pretty.

But I did notice that the conservative was also playing false equivalence the most anyone has ever done. At least there are some issues Reihan is willing to pretend he disagrees on with the Republican candidate line up. This guy was treading "say no ill on the party" water so hard you could surf on it.

I'd like to see him back on when Ezra is there because Ezra seems to love Chris' format of let 'r rip compared to other shows.

I do think that they need to figure out how to do the panel better. It veers and overlaps and comes out a bit uneven sometimes and just when it goes in the right direction someone joins in and ends up sending the discussion in a another direction without the already in play thought getting fully examined.

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 3:08 PM

Love. Absolutely love this show. Chris is fantastic. He is such a smarty pants, but he wears it well. He's not a lecturing egomaniac. And his guests have been so interesting. It's nice to see some new faces on the air, not the usual rotation of politicians and talking heads. I also welcome the select familiar faces I always enjoy, namely Melissa Harris Perry.

The first show I watched had Ezra Klein and Reihan Salam, and it seemed like an overcaffeinated group of people talking over each other, interrupting each other and glombing onto nick picky things that derailed someone's larger point. Some of that is hard to avoid with this format, but it seems like it's been better since then. It must be an exhausting endeavor, 2 hours both weekend days, of unscripted conversation. But I'm glad he has taken on the challenge.

In the spirit of "Things I know now that I didn't know last week", I now know Chris Hayes is tall. (And Reihan is short).

mikemedeiros, sorry to reply so late, and I can't really reply in this thread. I said my peace in Rachel's thread months back.

Edited by Listen Lady, Oct 22, 2011 @ 3:18 PM.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 5:24 AM

I enjoy the show too. Melissa Harris Perry is great but the last show, her explanations were too long.

My favorite part of the show is when Chris talks about something, giving some history and making some observations, after which the panel talks about it more in depth.

ChesterhillGirl

ChesterhillGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

I enjoy this show, too. The guests are informed, informative, and considerate enough not to out-shout everybody else. Chris needs to put his foot down about the commercial breaks. There are simply too many of them. They chop the show into tiny, tiny particles. Chris has had to actually interrupt a guest's answer to a question, say, "Hold that thought until after the commercial break," and then try to resume where they left off. This is for program segments that are 3-4 minutes long. This morning, Buddy Roemer was interrupted at least 6 or 7 times while he was trying to explain his ideas about election corruption. I really wanted to hear him rather than a commercial, then another one, then another one, etc. BTW, putting Roemer on the show was an inspiration.

I don't expect the Up program to be commercial-free, but for heaven's sake, group the ads together so the breaks are not so frequent. I missed a whole program segment when I just went to the basement to get a soup pot (maybe a minute and a half).

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

I'd really appreciate a podcast of the shows - every time I've gotten up at four or five AM to watch online, there's been a technical glitch & my chosen online venue hasn't been able to show it. And for reasons which don't bear exploration at this juncture, I can't DVR & watch later. So I'm stuck with reading about the good job Chris is doing instead of viewing it!

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

They have videos of the shows on the official Up with Chris Hayes website.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:12 AM

I've tried the videos for the various MSNBC shows, including Chris, but I find the whole experience really disjointed. Missed grabbing a couple of Rachel podcasts last week and the official site experience is lacking. But...I'll quit complaining & make the best of it...

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:35 AM

The ONLY way I can watch Chris is on the MSNBC site because I'm just not going to get up at 4 or 5 to watch it. And I really love that I don't have to sit through all the commercials to see it.

Today's show was very good, with the possible exception of the SEIU person, with whom I agree about many things, but who seemed more intent to keep with the talking points than to engage in a real intellectual conversation. I actually liked the conservative today--Chris gets conservatives with whom one can have a conversation; who knew they still existed?--and I thought his perspective broadened the conversation.

Yesterday's show was less good, with the exception of the Arab-American comedian and perhaps the professor from Barnard.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

Dave Sirota commented on the whole US has an empire thing on Salon. One thing that neither Dave nor the other guy commented on was that if the US didn't have an "empire" why did everyone loose control over their bowels when Carter turned over the Panama canal and we left the Philipines?

Do they not remember how we obtained Guantanamo and Puerto Rico? Why we still have Guam and the other islands in the Pacific? Gah!

ETA - David Sirota like his time on UP last week and wrote about it on Salon.

Edited by dagny, Oct 28, 2011 @ 8:55 AM.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:57 AM

Yeah! Elliot Spitzer. Will we see more of him on MSNBC?
Rachel made some veiled comments this week when she was doing a story about him being the Sheriff of Wallstreet. Maybe I was the only one that watched his show on CNN because I was disappointed when it was cancelled.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 11:00 AM

I caught my first episode this morning. Pretty impressed. I felt they covered a whole bunch of topics with a decent depth of discussion and light on the talking points.

I was especially struck by the composition of the panel: only one old white dude (Dickey from NewsBeast)! I mean, I'm not really sure what to do with a weekend politics show that doesn't book John McCain! Anyway, having the lefty egghead gay dude (Greenwald), the African-American woman (Hunter), and the activist Latina (Kumar) at the desk was incredibly refreshing. And fun, when Hunter smacked down Dickey's assertion that 'cops are on the side of the 99%', when the experiences of black folk doesn't at all bear that out. I can't imagine that happening on any of the other Sunday shows. Dickey was pretty much an afterthought amongst the panelists, which imo is a long time coming. Step aside, stale pale males!

I would only suggest that for a five-person panel, Chris needs a bigger desk. That one was positively cluttered. Maybe all the money for the set got redirected to BriWi's new show.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

I would only suggest that for a five-person panel, Chris needs a bigger desk. That one was positively cluttered. Maybe all the money for the set got redirected to BriWi's new show.

Yes, that's Ed's old desk and I think the most ppl. I ever saw around it then was 2 (including Ed). But that said it does bring a feeling of intimacy to the discussions. (and if I were one of the male guests I wouldn't mind sitting that close to MSNBC contributors like Maria Theresa Kumar, Alex Wagner, Melissa Harris Perry and Karen Finney ).

ourmoro

ourmoro

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

So far I am finding this show really intelligent, although Chris is a little too self-deprecating for me - I hope he grows out of that soon. Please keep the people of color/guests from further outside the msnbc ring coming. It is really great to see all kinds of people around the table talking.

Karen Hunter re blacks and the police: incredible to hear a truth like that actually spoken on TV. Keep going!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

I recorded both days this weekend for the first time. I liked Sat more than Sun, but will keep watching. Does anyone ever eat the baked goods in the middle of the table?

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

A couple of people have tried to eat the baked goods. Chris is a terrible host in that he doesn't provide napkins or small plates for his guests.

Richard Engel ate one because he was hungry. One of the more conservative guys ate one and the group had a couple of laughs by replaying it in slow motion. I guess he started eating just before a break.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

Chris is in the new Rolling Stone. It's the Hot Issue and Chris is named as the hot Rachel Maddow. I'm not sure how they mean that because I know there are straight guys you think Rachel is hot (not a lot). But anyway it is a very complimentary column about Chris and "Up".

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

I didn't know anything about Chris' private life, but he said he & his wife are expecting a baby next month! Congratulations to them, but I have to admit I wrongly assumed Chris was gay until he said that.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

He's married to Kate Shaw, who works as a lawyer for Obama. He mentions her from time to time as a disclaimer when he talks about the administration.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 7:20 AM

Wow....usually sleep in a bit on Saturdays so I haven't seen this until right now. Tremendous show, great guests, intelligent discourse etc etc Is this really a cable news program????

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 8:24 AM

Is this really a cable news program????

Yes and it's even more important to leave comments like that at the official MSNBC page so there's more of a chance that those making programming decisions see it.
I'm sure the mention in the current Rolling Stone doesn't hurt either.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

We are now seeing the results of the war on sex education in the schools. Every time they talk about the "personhood" amendment or birth control, the women (we are luck if there are more than one) on panel have to spend the first couple of minutes to explain how the egg is fertilized and the rest of the workings of the women parts. Most of the guys stare as if this is the first time they have ever learned this information.

The conservative of the week tried to explain why he was pro-life but got lost after he was explained the workings of the egg.

I'm surprised the Ethics guy didn't bring up the old Catholic Church's position on when a boy or girl fetus actually had a soul.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I was delighted to hear Hayes say out loud on teevee that Washington is patriarchal. It's usually described as 'old boys' club', but that doesn't carry the same weight as the P word. My, what a delightful change from the other sabbath gasbags!

Cyranetta

Cyranetta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

For me this show is firing on all cylinders:

Love Chris Hayes happy enthusiasm and understated wit.

Love the unexpected mix of guests -- many of the people I've not heard of or seen, and even the ones with whom I have severe disagreements in belief at least seem thoughtful and don't take the usual ploy of talk-very-loudly-and-not-allow-a-word-in-edgewise.

Love the topics -- I find them either not just the usual, or when they are, approached from a different angle.

Love that it challenges me to think without that thought being mainly to throw something through the TV screen.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

I like that they use recent music when they come back from commercials, and as a devotee to Sam Seder's Majority Report, he may have been the model for using kick ass music on a political show. Still waiting for someone to chow down on a pastry...

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 10:18 AM

I thought it was a little bit adorable that Chris didn't recognize the Real Housewives allusion. (Me, I wouldn't have been able to place the city, but at least I knew it was a RH.) And even moreso that he admitted it and sought correction, instead of the standard 'aah, who cares about that!' dismissiveness.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

Still waiting for someone to chow down on a pastry...

Last week Reihan Salam was eating a pastry while other guests were talking.

And I think I like Ezra Klein as a Sat/ Sun double shot guest more so even than Rachel. He's witty, very smart and eloquent and able to wonk out with Chris. I love this show.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

I think Nancy was eating as they went to break one time this morning. I love it too. It's great background TV for my cyber Saturday shopping before I go out for my small business Saturday shopping.