Up with Chris Hayes: Politics, Policy, and Pastries

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

485 replies to this topic

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 7:36 AM

I am so happy that Chris Hayes has 2 hours each weekend morning. Alex Witt can be a little annoying after awhile and it's nice to get an early morning bumper. There's a loose feel to the show so far that is still informative.
Since I work weekdays I can't watch many of the fine shows on dayside (no great loss with Morning Joe) so it's nice to be able to partake in some fun and quality with Mr. Hayes on the weekends. He is a very welcome addition.

shelly54

shelly54

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

I also enjoyed it a lot. Chris is very smart and has improved since he first started guest hosting, but still needs to cut down on the caffeine a bit. : ) It was informative and I also like the loose feel. I think I'll set a series recording on my DVR.

eurp

eurp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

I love this show. I like that Chris lets his guests speak without interruptions and I love that the discussions dominate the show. I am a progressive but I do think that the show might want to have one more conservative on to liven up the discussion. I agree that Chris needs to take down the energy level a notch, although I think that he may be nervous this first weekend and will relax in the coming ones. He was wise to have Rachel on the show since they are such good friends and she may have given him some moral support for his second show.

I do have a question. I don't Tweet; does anyone know the email address for the show? I have checked on MSNBC as well as for the show itself and I can't find it. If it is something really easy to find and I have missed it, I apologize for the question.

Edited because I have found out that you don't "Twitter"; you "Tweet"

Edited by eurp, Sep 18, 2011 @ 11:18 AM.

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 12:56 PM

Great start for this show. Finally, MSNBC has a smart, even-toned weekend show. Can't wait til Up! gets shifted to M-F, replacing Morning Joe, which has become too excruciating to watch.

shelly54

shelly54

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

@NancyEss -

Totally agree that this show is off to a great start and Joe has become excruciating. I used to watch MJ a bit over breakfast (even though I usually don't agree with his opinions) but now I can't take it even for a short while.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

Oh Lambchop, that was a very nice way to spend the weekend. I really did like Rachel on his show. Usually when she has him on her show, she is limited to about 5 minutes of chat. Here they had a lot more time to discuss issues and bring up other topics. Very well done.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

I was looking forward to this, as I adore Chris Hayes. And I was not disappointed. It was entertaining, informative and a fabulous way to wake up! If only we could get rid of MJ. What gasbags! Really enjoyed Rachel on Sunday. She and Chris seem to have a great relationship. I'm in!

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 8:49 AM

I only caught the Sunday show, but I loved it (I'll watch the Pelosi interview today probably). To me, the best part of the show was seeing new talking heads, and particularly seeing talking heads who weren't all white men. During Sunday's show, the only white man at the table was Chris himself (except when Nadler was there), and it showed precisely why diversity is important: those diverse faces and points of view brought things to the table I wouldn't otherwise know about. I was very impressed with the Salon.com writer who wrote the Big Girls Don't Cry book and the African American woman.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 4:16 PM

I too saw only the Sunday episode, and I was really impressed. My only problem with the show is the name. "Up with Chris Hayes" sounds a little too close to "Up with People" for my liking.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

"Up with Chris Hayes" sounds to me like "Morning Wood with Chris Hayes," but I might just have a dirty mind.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I usually go dirty. Heck every time I see an ad for that bizarre overreach "Picker Sisters" on Lifetime I keep thinking it is a Farelly Brothers movie that involves slutty sisters and nose picking.

But in this case, especially with Chris' enthusiasm, I keep waiting for Pat Buchanan to fly over waving a racist fist from the porch of his balloon lofted house. All the while Chris bounces around and says "My name is Doug. I am a dog. Squirrel!"

ETA: For possible name changes I suggest "Weekend Matters with Chris Hayes" as a nice play/multi-meaning on words

Edited by heebiejeebie, Sep 20, 2011 @ 11:26 PM.

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

I'm glad Chris finally got a show, but I'm disappointed it's not a daily weeknight show. I was hoping he could be a replacement for my Keith void. I can't judge the show yet because I immediately deleted both hours upon seeing Rachel Maddow. I refuse. So if she's a regular, I won't be watching.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

I immediately deleted both hours upon seeing Rachel Maddow. I refuse. So if she's a regular, I won't be watching.

Listen Lady,
I'm perplexed, what's your issue with Rachel ?

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

I immediately deleted both hours upon seeing Rachel Maddow. I refuse. So if she's a regular, I won't be watching.

Listen Lady,
I'm perplexed, what's your issue with Rachel ?

Me too. I was happy to see Rachel and in a more relaxed "real Rachel" style. She and Chris were so cute together. Sometimes, they seem as if they could be brother and sister. I love the geeky wonks getting all excited about topics.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

ETA: For possible name changes I suggest "Weekend Matters with Chris Hayes" as a nice play/multi-meaning on words

Thank you, because I was expecting a Pixar-animated Chris Hayes complete with balloon-powered floating house OR a white-bread singing version. Yes, I am old enough to remember Up With People as Super Bowl halftime entertainment...and I use the word loosely!

Missed the Sunday ep because my online source for TV had crossed wires & ESPN was on the MSNBC channel. Pissed me off, being up at 5 AM to watch Lambchop & Rachel & getting stuck with SportsCenter instead... Maybe next week.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

Sorry heebiejeebie, but NOOOOOOOO! That same play on words used to drive me crazy with the old ABC show Family Matters. Does the phrase mean "matters pertaining to the family" or "family is something that matters" ? Lordy, that used to drive me crazy; crazy over a show with Urkel in it, for heaven's sake!

Does anyone know who Chris has lined up for this weekend?

Edited by Zzingerific, Sep 23, 2011 @ 8:17 PM.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

Another great panel this Saturday. And Ezra will be back tomorrow. I only wish we had video of Ezra'a spit take during the commercial that Chris referred to.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Chris got Ed Shultz's hand-me -down desk. The red desk with the white squares is Ed's old desk when he started at 6 and used to stand behind his desk.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 1:48 AM

What little I have seen of Family Matters, a show thankfully before my time, gives me no pause whatsoever on the use of the word 'Matter'. Also I always thought the purpose of a multi-meaning phrase was that it was more an any/all pick and choose as opposed to a either/or. But if the show were to actually make the change I'll buy any a coke for those put out.

Good show this morning. They need to get up to speed tech wise. It might be only two weeks since Phil the Intern was let go and getting the studio up to speed to a real live show from monitoring the looped Lockup feed in between updating a facebook page might have wobbles, but still. Second week in Chris' mic placement issues in regard to his paper shuffling and messy desk issues should be resolved by next week. Okay?

Really liked the insight and different takes on the matter of the death penalty.

Ezra Klein is what Timothy Geithner was promised to be when Obama tapped him for Treasury. He and Elizabeth Warren decide to go for the White House I'll quit my job and volunteer full time. Even in this economy.

Reihan almost made me feel sorry for him a couple of times. There were plenty of times I agreed with him or at least could see a different view than mine that perhaps was better or just right. But damn. He still had to play the typical false equivalence card and even worse the CNN conservative pundit game of "let's pick the exception and pretend it is the hideous criminal rule to a matter". Sorry Reihan on this show that is not going to get an attempted sagacious nod and playfully furrowed brow by Anderson Cooper and let slide home. And you better watch Morning Joe more often when Ezra is on; save yourself the embarrassment of trying to pick on small bit of his comment and try to shift the entire debate and subject because you are on the ideological ropes. It seems even the rational intelligent conservative pundits cannot stay that way too long and at some point have to revert to the lockstep of speaking no evil. Chris is too nice and the rest of the panel was trying to adhere to early weekend morning geniality. But left alone I think Ezra would have pushed Reihan on the silliness of his attempts to undermine the point Elizabeth Warren is ultimately trying to make. It is not just that success does not occur in a social vacuum. But also that the idea that successful people shouldn't want to reinvest in their nation is wrong and unAmerican. Heck Warren Buffet is treated like the poster child for senility by FoxNews because he actually has no problem having some of his wealth used by and at the discretion of the national government for the good of the nation. Even if every single road built has some sort of corruption involved, it does not detract from the fact that without those roads this would no longer be a nation. Don't get me started on no taxes for now until we get things straightened out Bachman.

Lunaria

Lunaria

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 7:17 PM

Another great show this morning; fantastic roundtable discussions and Karen Hunter was a really dynamic guest. The interview with Congressman Tom Graves of Georgia was the usual GOP talking point fare but he looked like a deer caught in the headlights when Chris asked him if he knew the specifics of the spending cuts the Republicans are seeking for FEMA offsets in the continuing resolution. He could barely name any of the details and looked a little awkward and uncomfortable for a moment before he started recycling the favorites on the GOP soundbite playlist. I know I shouldn't be shocked but I was. It never fails to astound me that some members of US Congress are unable to answer specifics when pressed about details of bills they vote on. Given that the federal government could shut down at the end of next week over this issue in the continuing resolution, it's just amazing that some members of Congress don't know the specifics of the cuts- and unprecedented ones at that, since it was pointed out that Congress has never tried to offset FEMA funding- their party is asking for.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:09 PM

What time is this show on? I was up early Sunday, but MSNBC had some other news program on in the 8-9am hour. I was in CA though, so maybe the show is only on 7-9 eastern?

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

Chris' show is on about the same time period as Willie's show. Saturday 7am EST (4am PDT) and Sunday 8am EST (5am PDT). I DVR it.

I thought that Reihan was going to blow a blood vessel. I didn't like that he monopolized a good portion of the time and talked over people.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

I don't know who Willie is, but thanks. At least I know I wasn't going crazy not being able to find it at 8 PDT.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 7:27 PM

Willie Geist (of Morning Joe) has a show called "Way too Early with Willie Geist" that airs M-F at 5:30am (EST) before Morning Joe.

If 5:30am is way too early then 7am/8am is Too F---ing Early! for the weekend (especially for the West Coast).

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 4:04 PM

I finally caught the about half the show each day this weekend. I like it. I like how Chris sets up some segments by giving background information and then bringing in the panel for further discussion.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

On a very light hearted note Chris introduced me to a very funny piece of video of dubbed Rick Perry that is very well done. It was from Badlipreading.com and the few ppl. I know who have also seen it think it's also "awesome".

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

I guess its been over a year ago that there were a lot of chatter about how there weren't many women on the Sunday morning talk shows. It felt nice that there were an equal number of women on Chris' shows and that there weren't talking all over each other.

I thought the panel were going to leap across the air waves to tell the anti abortion lady how mule-headed wrong she was. The panel was very nice to keep on topic about her facts and figures about investigating 4 cases of "medicare fraud" oer the past 18 years. I would have tossed out that that would be the number of cases in a week if we looked into defense spending fraud.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

Anti abortion lady has the crazy eyes that Newsweek tried to tell us Bachman has. Nice to see that the determination to kill family planning is still going strong. Nothing says factual like presenting the exception is rule. Locally there were cases of fraud in the religious "don't abort your babies, we'll take care of you" organizations and how they applied for state and federal funding as well as tried but failed to funnel medical payments through their own accounts. But no one would even dream of trying to say such abuses (they claim they were ignorant of the process and yet somehow got every single form needed prepared and sent in perfectly. And perfectly illegal) are the standard and that charities that try to help unwed mothers should be unilaterally shut down.

chalkdust

chalkdust

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

I see Chris is perkily talking about covering Occupy Wall Street on his bike, and how it's the best way to cover a mass protest. Oh, good, considering how dismissive he was two weeks ago.

I really like Chris Hayes, and I think the show has great potential, but this "Oh, look! Occupy Wall Street!" attitude on MSNBC is driving me nuts.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

I was really glad to see Hayes brought up (and took the time to explain) predatory lending. I had a neighbor who worked with people who were sold "pick a payment" loans and that was a flat out scam that these people got away with.

I remember being really frustrated with how the media presented people who lost their homes as people who bought places they knew they couldn't afford (and therefore losing their homes was seen as rather karmic) when plenty were flat-out robbed by the banks after paying their mortgages for many years.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 4:58 AM

That interview with the abortion person was so annoying. She was asked if she had spoken to someone in DC. Her response was that she speaks to a lot of people there. Huh! There is a quote in a pamphlet her organization puts out. Chris talked to the person who was quoted. He was not interviewed for the quote. They took a comment he made about something else and made it against Planned Parenthood. How can people get away with misquoting someone like that? What grated on me the most was her repeated claim to be doing this for the tax payers.
\

Edited by madfortv, Oct 8, 2011 @ 6:36 AM.