Sweet Genius

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

310 replies to this topic

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

The biggest thing I dislike about competitions with family members is when one of the family members get eliminated, you'd think they were going to be thrown into the fires of Mordor instead of just being sent home (or to the green room). Honestly, the tears last night because mom got eliminated were stupid. I was hoping the man would win just because I didn't like the tearful daughter. All-in-all, last night's episode was not one of my favorites.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I agree sp23. I like this show and I admire Ron Ben-Israel who is truly an artist but I did not like the family show mostly because of the young woman. She had wedding rings on for cryin' out loud. She wasn't a child but she acted like she couldn't function without mommy. I thought she should have been disqualified for using an ingredient her mother made. I liked the dad the best but I really didn't think any of them belonged anywhere near Chef Ron's world of desserts. I suspect that he privately didn't think so either.

I think this season is much better than the first one but still needs some tweaking. I'd like to see the competitors make and decorate things people might actually buy and eat. The inspiration items are fine but ingredients like spinach and baby formula are just ridiculous and pointless.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:34 AM

What I didn't like about the family episode was the daughter taking the "inspiration" as "draw this on a piece of fondant". There are other ways to something as inspiration. Russian dolls are about a series of objects of varying sizes, one inside the other. I would think that a "genius" approach would be to make a cake with each layer a bit smaller than the one below it. Or one flavor cake inside a larger one. Actually being INSPIRED by the dolls, or the balloon - not just drawing the inspiration.

helenahandbsket

helenahandbsket

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I've seen several episodes now. These pastry chefs are supposed to be good at what they do, but on this show I seriously doubt they have any skills. That one woman over whipped the cream. Come on! I can whip cream properly! I wouldn't give her a pass of being nervous on that one. What was that daughter thinking when she used part of her mother's sauce during a competition?

In that last round the dad's plate looked like a big mess. It looked like a 5 year old put it together. I'm glad he didn't win, but I'm not impressed with the daughter winning either. I won't be watching this episode again.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Did not like Sweet Genius: Freud Edition either. Father/son rivalry, Mother/Daughter codependence. I'll just watch Maury next time, okay, Show? Please, no more family episodes.

I would also like to see a rule against helping another competitor (other than "the fondant is on the third shelf in the corner"), and a possibility that if no one is a sweet genius, the prize and title do not get awarded. Those competitors were a hot mess. The dueling dad just made desserts that were in his repetoire, didn't even think about the flavors or challenge. Neither he nor his son had much imagination.

We couldn't figure out why no one knows what candy is on this show, why Chef ben Israel is forced to say every episode "when I give you a mandatory ingredient, I need to taste it" or why so many people bake a cake in round one when it's never going to be done and cooled on time and the frosting, icing or cream will melt on top of it. If round three is cake and they need 60 minutes to complete it, why do so many try to bake a cake in round one where they have 40 minutes to finish? Chocolate can be anything in round one - cookies, candy, mousse, pudding, ice cream, shooter, or if they must, why not bake cupcakes - don't those take less time? And doesn't chef Ron keep saying that he appreciates small, controlled, delicate (looking) desserts?

There was a prior season so I don't know why so many seem so confused. One person even said "there's a second ingredient? I didn't know that." (facepalm)

I didn't like the smartass guy in the other episode, either. I guess it was the Baby episode. Bluffing and intimidation might have gotten him where he is in part, but, it won't work on this Chef. He had no respect. I thought the woman in that episode did deserve to win the title and prize.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Most of the chefs stumble over the candy challenge. Drinks, whipped mousse, and glaze reductions are NOT candy. I don't understand what the disconnect is for these people. They can't come up with an idea so they stupidly do a milkshake, etc. Making a basic nougat and coating it with chocolate or other coating should be easy for them. Brittles are good but most stumble over the execution. Next season they might want to rethink that category.

I've been wondering about this too, how do these people not know what candy is? At least the mother & daughter last night made brittle & chocolate bark, those are defintely candy, but why did the mother decide to make ice cream & her daughter made mousse? Neither one is candy. In my mind, if you eat it with silverware, it's not candy.

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I wanted to know what the sushi candy had to do with a crown? I must have missed his explanation.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

I wanted to know what the sushi candy had to do with a crown? I must have missed his explanation.

I think he said the crown made him think of royalty, royalty made him think of Japan having royalty, and Japan made him think of sushi.

Why that made him think pickled ginger made sense on a dessert plate is still something I don't understand.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I could maybe have understood candied ginger, but definitely not pickled ginger.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I think the candy sushi was just something from the dad's backlog of tried and true recipes as was the famous molten chocolate cake. Then he just tried to BS a connection to the challenge. I said exactly the same thing throughout and to MrMonkey when he watched it with me later: Candied ginger might've been perfect, and would've shown some adaptation to the challenge. Pickled was clearly part of the way he was used to making that garnish before.

Am I the only one who wants to go around saying this to anyone who annoys: In that test, you were no swit gin yussss.

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Yeah, I think associating sushi with Japanese Royalty is reaching a bit much. I smell BS.
I think some of these people who survived the ones who really fucked up on challenges, but were nothing to brag about don't deserve to be in RBI's world of genius. I also think the people who make it to RBI's world should have a SG show-down. Like Iron Chef, the SG keep competing until there is the Ultimate SG.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

ScrubMonkey:

I think the candy sushi was just something from the dad's backlog of tried and true recipes as was the famous molten chocolate cake. Then he just tried to BS a connection to the challenge.

Yep. He seemed like a contestant who had decided before the show started, what recipes he was going to use. Figuring any ingredient he's given can get incorporated into candy sushi and molten chocolate cake.
And the "Crown made me think of royalty which made me think of Japanese royalty which made me think of sushi" - yeah, complete BS.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

There was a prior season so I don't know why so many seem so confused. One person even said "there's a second ingredient? I didn't know that." (facepalm)

Oh, this makes me nuts! If you get booked on a competition show that you've never seen, for god's sake, watch at least one episode so you know what to expect and don't make yourself look like a total tool.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

If round three is cake and they need 60 minutes to complete it, why do so many try to bake a cake in round one where they have 40 minutes to finish? Chocolate can be anything in round one - cookies, candy, mousse, pudding, ice cream, shooter, or if they must, why not bake cupcakes - don't those take less time? And doesn't chef Ron keep saying that he appreciates small, controlled, delicate (looking) desserts?

In season 1, Cake wasn't always a category; it was simply Baked. RBI would make a huge point of mentioning a contestant daring to make a cake for him due to his expertise. So at the time Season 2 was shot, the contestants might not automatically know Cake is a category and force their cake knowledge in the Chocolate category.

Edited by mooncreek, May 7, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

In season 1, Cake wasn't always a category; it was simply Baked. RBI would make a huge point of mentioning a contestant daring to make a cake for him due to his expertise. So at the time Season 2 was shot, the contestants might not automatically know Cake is a category and force their cake knowledge in the Chocolate category.

I haven't seen season one, but Chef announces the categories at the beginning of every season two episode. I don't know how much information they are given ahead of taping. I can understand if they wanted to do that to impress him, or had planned on it ahead of time, but the whole challenge seems to be about thinking on the fly. When they have to incorporate the ingredients, those are given even more last minute than the category types.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

If round three is cake and they need 60 minutes to complete it, why do so many try to bake a cake in round one where they have 40 minutes to finish? Chocolate can be anything in round one - cookies, candy, mousse, pudding, ice cream, shooter, or if they must, why not bake cupcakes - don't those take less time? And doesn't chef Ron keep saying that he appreciates small, controlled, delicate (looking) desserts?

Exactly. It also drives me crazy when people in the cake round actually make a FULL BLOWN CAKE!!! That alone is gonna take 35 minutes to bake+time spent before creating it+cooling and it leaves you less than 10 minutes to decorate your ENORMOUS CAKE. And Ron is only taking like 2 bites out of it.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

Did you know that Chef Andrea's mom had cancer & that Chef Natalia had a 9 month old baby boy? I was surprised when I heard that at the end of the show, I must have missed it the first 9,000,000,000,000 times they said it.

Once again one of the ingredients for the candy round is candy. I don't get why they keep doing that. At least this time a couple of them made something that could actually be called candy, but I don't think this category is working, & they need to come up with something else next season.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Natalia appears to be making the FN rounds. If I recall correctly she won an episode of Chopped not too long ago.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Given the inspiration of ROLLER SKATES, One chef thinks Disco - disco ball, tries to make one, decides it looks more like tumbleweed, so, OK, it's tumbleweed.
Another chef immediately thinks Roller skating on sidewalk, stones and gravel, falling down and bleeding, so she makes a dessert representing that. Because, really, how delicious are bloody knees?

Such a strange show. But Chef Ron in a wrestling mask was so oddly hilarious.

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I don't think they should replace candy with anything. Candy should be in the wheelhouse of pastry chefs. And people can quit wimping out with the brittle. Lame!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I'd like to see them keep the candy round, but just select contestants longer before the taping, and encourage them to practice or study that art. Not many people make candy any more; 100 years ago that was a big thing because store-bought cost so much. Now it's the other way around, almost. And candy gets ruined so easily. It's all about the temperatures. But a 'sweet genius' should know how to do it.

Roller skates make me think of the Melanie song, and of childhood. It was big in disco too, but mostly again in people in their 20s or younger. But anything would've worked. I was just almost booing that round. No one had any real inspiration, and the bloody knees? Ew! Disgusting. Yes give me a big spoonful of that image.

And then in another round someone made bloody something or bruised something. Gross. I felt bad for Chef ben Israel.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

I watched last evening's Sweet Genius and Jessica (can't remember last name) from the Chopped challenge was on there. She won on this program as well with no crying and very little emotion - - certainly not like on either time she was on Chopped.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I watched last evening's Sweet Genius and Jessica (can't remember last name) from the Chopped challenge was on there. She won on this program as well with no crying and very little emotion - - certainly not like on either time she was on Chopped.

She did cry, at the very beginning, when she had to go near the snake in order to get her ingredients. Then again, after watching "Venom ER" on Animal Planet a few years ago, the idea that she had a rattlesnake bite makes the tears totally understandable. That's NASTY stuff, when a snake like that bites you!

Once again, all the candy in the candy rounds seemed more like sauces and Jell-O than actual candy. The guy who did aerated chocolates had things that looked like you could pick them up, but Ron had to use a fork for their whipped cream-like consistency, as well as the nougat. The "gelees" by the other two chefs weren't solid enough even for forks.

And in cake...they simply need more time. It doesn't take any more time for us to watch an edited program, and I know the drama factor is higher when the chefs only have less than an hour to finish a full cake, but the results are totally disappointing. Give them two or three hours (like "Cupcake Wars"), and they could come up with something spectacular and...genius!

I feel bad for thinking this, but Jennifer got quite a bit heavier since "Chopped." She's still very pretty, but I wonder if leaving her stage (is that how you spell it) and going on to pastry might have resulted in some unwanted pounds. Also, I noticed that she's now working for Jose Garces' restaurants, and he's a Food Network person, so I wonder if he saw her on "Chopped" and reached out to her?

Jessica, not Jennifer, above. I'm having trouble with my J-names. I am no Sweet Genius.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

She won on this program as well with no crying and very little emotion - - certainly not like on either time she was on Chopped.

I thought she was the one who fell apart/cried when she saw the python due to her having been bit by a rattlesnake when she was younger. I did think the guy from the Dominican Republic was cute when he said he wanted to cry after seeing the snake, too, but he was a man. The other female on last night's show, Genevieve, I think, was such a lazy enunciator & mumblemouth. Her speech was super annoying to me.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I was very happy to see Genevieve go home first. She seemed to be modeling her entire life around Zooey Deschanel, who I find completely annoying. The speech patterns and cutesy faces she kept making were the worst. When RBI refused to even try one of her components because it looked like mucus I was laughing so hard.

Jessica has certainly made her rounds on Food Network. She seems to be doing really well for herself, which makes me happy. There are a few up-and-coming chefs like herself and Madison who have definitely benefited from the Food Network exposure.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

To tell the truth I was reading at the very beginning of the show and didn't see the tears during the introduction of the snake so there were some tears, but during Chopped she seemed to cry most of the time and even when she was on the championship program the panel asked her about her emotions. I don't turn up the sound for the intros so I didn't realize that she worked for the Garces' organization. I guess that's what they mean by a corporate chef or whatever.

Edited by davout1806, May 18, 2012 @ 4:27 PM.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

I'm glad Chef Victoria didn't win... Not only did she fail miserably at the last round, but I spent the entire episode wanting to rip those stupid fake eyelashes off her eyes.

edit to fix a minor typo.

Edited by saladshooter, May 24, 2012 @ 10:02 PM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

So once again there is no candy in the candy round. They need to either get a lot more specific about what they can make, or get rid of the candy round. Right now it's the mystery dessert round, you never know what they will make.

rocketgirl

rocketgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

Frankly, the episode last night was a train wreck. It didn't look like anyone had good desserts in the last 2 rounds. Wonder if there is a way, no one could win?

Darian

Darian

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Right now it's the mystery dessert round, you never know what they will make.

That's not a bad idea. Have a "free" round, during which contestants can do anything. It's not the best idea in the world, but we're seeing almost nothing but disasters. In theory, I like the idea of a candy round, and had high hopes for what we'd see. But this far into the season, it's pretty clearly a failure.

Chef Victoria did not do very well, but I still am kicking myself that I keep forgetting to go to Cakeology.

I love Chef Ron. He's so merry and having so much fun.