Up All Night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

778 replies to this topic

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

Premieres tonight at 10:00 PM ET after the America's Got Talent finale, then moves to its regular slot (8:00 PM ET) next Wednesday.

Edited by jw7579, Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:33 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

I'm very curious to see this tonight. The premise doesn't do a lot for me, but I enjoy all three leads.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Word up. I'm obsessed with Will Arnett; I even watched all of Running Wilde! And I kind of enjoyed it too!

I'm not at all a fan of Chris Applegate but I'm sooo curious about Maya Rudolph's role.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

I'm looking forward to it as well. Plus, I got a blast from the past at the part in one of the previews where Will Arnette is talking about how the baby wipes sticking together is a ploy by the manufacturer to get you to buy more wipes. I vividly remember my sister screaming virtually that same thing one day when my nephew was a baby.

I know they reshot the original pilot and changed Maya Rudolph's character's job from PR exec to talk show host in order to give her a bigger role.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

Pilot was alright. I'm hoping that the story picks up as the season goes on. Maya Rudolph stole every scene that she was in. Other than that I was kind of bored toward the end. Sad, because the cast has such great potential.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

I thought it was pretty solid as far as pilots go. A little lacking in jokes and the pacing seemed off and lacked build-up (which isn't uncommon as far as comedy pilots go because most of them don't have much of a storyline), but Arnett & Applegate have really great chemistry and the show has done a good job making their characters relatable & likable. Rudolph is hilarious and knocks her lines out of the park, but they need to work on connecting her with Arnett & Applegate's characters more - the talk show part of the show and the baby parts meshed a little awkwardly. I'd say that's the biggest thing the show needs to work on. But it has loads of potential, and I have high hopes for it as it has a kick-ass cast and team behind it.

Edited by NotRArch, Sep 14, 2011 @ 9:47 PM.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

I'm not a big sitcom person but I decided to give this one a shot because I like the three leads. Its ok. I didn't LOL at anything but I did smile a few times. I'll keep watching as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

That was awful, and the real shame is that it's the lead in for Free Agents, which was actually pretty funny, and it'll take Free Agents down with it when it fails.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I thought this was, overall, better than Free Agents. Free Agents had better jokes, but it seemed like it was trying to rip off 30 Rock's joke-a-minute formula and not totally succeeding. This show had less in terms of the comedy but fleshed out its characters better.

Edited by NotRArch, Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:09 PM.

kiseki

kiseki

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

The pilot was alright. The only laughs that came from me were from Maya Rudolph and the karaoke scene but I was smiling throughout the pilot.

The work and baby plots didn't jibe well but according to critics they changed the workplace from a PR firm to daytime talk show host. I'm hoping they will mesh better in subsequent episodes.

I wasn't expecting much from the pilot so I was mostly satisfied. I liked it more than New Girl and especially more than the dull and unfunny Free Agents. Parks&Rec and 30 Rock didn't exactly have wonderful pilots (or first six episodes) so I'll give this time.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

I wasn't expecting to like this one it all, but it was surprisingly good. It was a little light on the laughs, and I wouldn't miss Maya Rudolph's character if she were written out, but other than that, this one worked for me, so I'm in.

Edited by Merve, Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:46 PM.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Kind of cute, but it certainly did feel like a pilot that had been reworked and I don't think the workplace and home setting meshed well. Felt like two shows mashed uneasily together, with Maya Rudolph in a broad Oprah send-up sitcom and W.A. and C.A. in a regular family sitcom. I don't think making the setting of the workplace a talk show really lends itself all that well to the other aspect of the show. Hard to relate, but we'll see. Enough cute moments that I'll give it a few more chances.

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:46 PM

It was cute, I liked it. The concept bores me a little, I'm really only watching because I adore Applegate, Arnett and Rudolph. It wasn't amazing, but I think it'll definitely grow into something better and funnier. I laughed out loud maybe two times, which is pretty decent for a sitcom Pilot. Most sitcoms need to grow for a while.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:11 AM

The emotion was strong but I didn't laugh once, and I know I've laughed a lot more for, say, the 30 Rock pilot (which, granted, a lot of other people really didn't like). It could also be that I'm not a parent and so the subject matter doesn't resonate for me.

I will say I couldn't see any of the seams where they rewrote and reshot Rudolph's parts, not that I was looking that hard.

according to critics they changed the workplace from a PR firm

I heard that was mostly because of Rudolph's higher profile post-Bridesmaids, but it also works out to be paired with Free Agents and not be two PR shows back to back.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:13 AM

I think it did what pilots are suppose to do. Set up the situation for the future episodes to come. Obviously there was some retooling going on, and the workplace didn't really mesh with the rest of it. Though the one part that had me seriously rolling my eyes was hubby/daddy (I can't remember his name....they need to work on that too) not being able to find cheese in a supermarket. Cheese?!? Gimme a break. Cheese is always kept in a refrigerated section near milk (or eggs like wifey said). That would be one of the easier items to find.

Anyway, the chemistry is great, and they all are quite likable. They just need some decent stories and writing. BTW while her over exaggerated spoof of Oprah is very funny, it's nothing Maya hasn't done a thousand times on SNL. I don't know that I would have her play something so similar to her sketch work, but that's just me.

Edited by vb68, Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:14 AM.

Telecine

Telecine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:34 AM

Really enjoyed this show!

I fear, though, there will be two camps for it A) those that have kids and can relate versus B) those that dont and have no attachment to those jokes. I hope camp A is big enough viewing audience to bring in decent enough ratings.

A few years ago, I'd have been in camp B and probably not giving the show a fair shake as I couldn't relate and wouldn't want to try.
Since I am now a parent, and the experience is still so fresh in my mind, SO MANY beats really hit home. -- the arguing over who got less sleep (with the added "wanna have sex?" line (and sadly, exact response I experienced to said request), the "are we dead?" comment, the hung-over begging for the other one to go deal with the baby - they are not only funny, BUT OH SO TRUE!!

..and by the way, due to weeks of little or no sleep, I had the exact same experience of grocery shopping and having to call my wife to ask where something simple was....it does happen! Newborn twins will do that to a couple! So that gag was completely believable to me.

With the talent involved with this show, I'm confident the story lines will be entertaining and involving, and NOT stuck in a one-note "all about the shock of being new parents" plot. They've created a nice backdrop for a series, and I think they will expand this world in all sorts of ways -- baby related or not. I'm looking forward to watching this show develop! I like what I've seen.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 6:59 AM

I think the pilot's job is to present the characters and concepts that will play out over time.. with that said, the pilot did a good job of establishing the work/home life... in time, maybe the show will be able to meld them together better.

With that said, I didn't so much view this as a comedy but as more of a dramedy (or it could be one) since I didn't LOL once during the pilot. However, I did enjoy watching it and seeing if the show can grow beyond the 'new baby' concept.

McCafe

McCafe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:04 AM

I was bored. I think I only laughed at Mya pronouncing insane as insahn. I wanted to like it, but as a comedy it didn't work for me. I think the concept is nice, but I felt CA was very bland. She was hilarious on Friends, etc, so I hope it improves.

I'll give it another shot based on the leads.

FranciePants

FranciePants

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:12 AM

I didn't hate it, mostly because I love Applegate/Arnett/Rudolph. I did feel like Maya Rudolph was in a SNL sketch and the others were in a sitcom-the disconnect was weird.

I have literally had a phone conversation with my boyfriend about how Cracker Barrel cheddar is NOT with the "fancy" cheese, which is a little alarming (my life is getting into network sitcom territory?)

Oh, and I really loved the set design for their house. If I was going to live im a fake expensive house in Southern California, it would look something like that.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

Even if he genuinely couldn't find the cheese, why didn't Chris just ask somebody, like the person at customer service?

I agree that there weren't a lot of actual laughs, but the characters were fun, and there's a lot of potential. But Nick Cannon annoyed me in the five seconds that we saw of him. Is he actually going to be on the show? I don't know if I could handle such irritating mugging.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

I liked it. The premise made me smile and occasionally laugh out loud. The old lady in the grocery store? TOTALLY happened to me. When I took my daughter to Safeway for the first time, I was immediately accosted by an old lady who thrust her face up close to my baby's (thankfully, she didn't cry) and said "I always have to greet new Canadians!".

I'll definitely give this show a shot. The leads are crazy talented and have terrific chemistry.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

I have hopes that it will get better. With all of the talent involved, it has to.

I thought this first episode was a total stinker and honestly I think I did because I have kids. The few things I found funny (the not being able to find cheese in the store and old lady stalkers) were amusing because I've been there. Same with the diaper changing - which I was kind of burnt out on because I'd seen it roughly 1 million times in the previews.

But the night out was ridiculous and completely unfunny because of it. I half expected them to go out and fall asleep - not be out until like 3 a.m. (and I also wondered how the hell they found a babysitter on a work night who would come over at like 8 p.m. and leave at 3 a.m. on a moment's notice?). Being Up All Night with feedings or a fever or just endless crying makes sense. Being Up All Night because you went karaoking with your Oprah-like boss was bizarre.

I also thought it was too much Maya. I never found her Oprah impersonation all that funny and I can't handle her constant singing.

FranciePants

FranciePants

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

Even if he genuinely couldn't find the cheese, why didn't Chris just ask somebody, like the person at customer service?

Okay, this just cracked me up because as I said, I have had the same conversation with my partner and guess what his name is? Hahaha. Your guess is as good as mine, for both Chris's.

I see this as a very timely show. Even though I don't have children, the majority of my friends who do have kids seem to be in a similar situation: had them closer to 40 than 30, are settled in careers and had previously been living a life they enjoyed and that, post-baby, they still miss in some ways. Yeah, both of them staying out until the wee hours didn't necessarily ring true, particularly in the sleep-deprived state, but have seen friends be visibly sad to be leaving a good time with adults because they are now on the baby's schedule.

That said, I don't know nothin' about birthin' babies and even I called shenanigans on them getting a babysitter on such short notice. They could have at least said "I can call my mom" or "I haven't cancelled the babysitter yet" or something if they were going for a shred of realism.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

I liked it, but I want to see more of Will Arnett's character. I wish I knew how he met the surfer friend, or how his day with the baby goes. I imagine they might have cut out a few of his scenes to accommodate the change in job and more Maya. But I hope this doesn't become more of a workplace comedy, I like Christina and Will together.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

I liked it. I'm keeping it on my DVR, as opposed to the show that followed it. I would prefer it stay at 10pm though.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

I always give sitcom pilots a pass -- it's a tall order to be funny and set up a premise at the same time, especially when the funniest jokes have already been spoiled by promos. It often takes sitcoms a whole season to hit their stride -- "Parks & Recreation" is a good example.

Men don't like to ask for directions (and it's hard to find an employee in these huge supermarkets, unless you go bother a cashier). It's also a bit of learned incompetence, in my experience, perhaps so that the wife will just do the grocery shopping next time? :-)

I half expected them to go out and fall asleep - not be out until like 3 a.m. (and I also wondered how the hell they found a babysitter on a work night who would come over at like 8 p.m. and leave at 3 a.m. on a moment's notice?).

I think it's supposed to be a Friday night, so not a work night. And assuming they had to pay the babysitter anyway for canceling so last minute, the sitter could have felt bad and said "call me if she gets home before 11:30, and I'll come over after all." (It happens, especially if the sitter lives in the neighborhood.)

For me, the most ridiculous part was how good Christina Applegate's character looked at work -- and bothering to curl her hair when she had a hangover and no sleep? Yeah, right.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

I also didn;t like the workplace scenes as much. I wanted to see more of the family and the laughs that can be mined there. Like some others I can relate to this show much more due to a month old baby in the house. I think "I am trying to help you" has been yelled quite a few times while changing diapers.

nairuti

nairuti

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

I got annoyed at how many times they referred to their daughter Amy as "the baby" or "my baby." What parent does that?

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

Yeah, both of them staying out until the wee hours didn't necessarily ring true, particularly in the sleep-deprived state, but have seen friends be visibly sad to be leaving a good time with adults because they are now on the baby's schedule.

I am in the show's demographic (had my son at 40), and I find that it goes one way or the other. Either everyone is falling asleep at the table OR they are desperately trying to keep the party going to recapture the "before."

I thought it was cute and mildly funny. I so want Arnett and Applegate to have a hit, so I will definitely keep watching.

gudgeon

gudgeon

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

I thought the show was okay. I love the cast so I'm hoping things get better fast. My main gripe was that I felt I had already seen ALL of the jokes (except the cheese one, I guess) in the ads leading up to the premiere...so I felt like been there, done that with all the jokes.

Speaking of cheese, I found that part really funny because for the life of me, I always forget where the regular cheese is and always look for it in the fancy cheese department. I don't have kids, so I don't have that excuse (I guess I am just spaced out wandering the whole foods aisles) but 99% of the time I go right by it! Even when I stop to get eggs.

I fear, though, there will be two camps for it A) those that have kids and can relate versus B) those that dont and have no attachment to those jokes.

I don't have kids, but have friends with kids and have nieces/nephew and I could relate to the jokes...so I don't think it has to boil down to only those with kids appreciating the humor.