Wilson Phillips: Still Holding On

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

84 replies to this topic

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

I just love Carnie's personality and I think she's actually the most attractive of the three ladies. I enjoy Wendy too but Chynna is just too much.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

I wonder if Chynna's hairstylist hates her! She needs bangs or something to cover her enormous forehead. Didn't she and her husband file for bankruptcy a few years back? Maybe that's why we never see her home or kids. Or maybe her kids are such brats they aren't fit for television. Whatever. I can't stand her. She's the thinnest but the ugliest of the three.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

She's the thinnest but the ugliest of the three.

And has the worst voice! I can't understand why she sings lead on any of their songs. Is it because she doesn't have the ability to harmonize? She sounded horrifically bad on Kathy's talk show last week.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I agree, she RUINED that beautiful song IMO.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Ok, now it's making sense. The bk might be the reason they don't shoot there. So much for the Baldwin's. Thanks, SheliaShay.

Man, that CA Dreamin' was awful. If Chynna didn't have Wendy and Carnie to harmonize, Kathy's audience might have been throwing tomatos or other objects at her. Hit the gong -

Can't find Chynna attractive b/c of her personality.

technorebel

technorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

I agree California Dreaming sounded bad. Chynna was miked up way too loud so you couldn't even hear the other girls and their nice harmony. Just watched the episode where they go camping, and Chynna was an annoying jerk as usual. I'm beginning to get the idea that the group broke up because the normal two, Carnie and Wendy, couldn't put up with her bull**** anymore.
The preview for next week's show has Chynna telling Carnie something about her thinking about doing a solo act. If I were the Wilson sisters, I'd shove her out the door so fast her empty little head would spin.

Edited by technorebel, May 14, 2012 @ 6:10 AM.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Don't know why I watched it OnDemand - well, my dw, I guess. Best laugh of the entire g-forsaken season/series when Chynna's daughter muzzled her to stop Hold On. You go, beautiful, yellow-haired girl!

Never see previews OnD but that's funny, too - technorebel. Interesting that she apparently made no pretense of even trying to be anything other than a b for this entire series. Not a WP fan but wondering if she/they attempted solo careers previously, after their initial break-up.

Thank G - at least this is ending and they only filmed a few, short episodes.

Picky Eater

Picky Eater

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Not a WP fan but wondering if she/they attempted solo careers previously, after their initial break-up.

I'm pretty sure Chynna did....didn't she have a CD out in the '90s titled "Naked & Sacred" (or something like that)?

I'm not saying this to be mean, but.... is there something wrong with any (or all) of Wendy's kids? Some of them seem just a bit off... They're sweet kids though.

Edited by Picky Eater, May 14, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

Graysmama

Graysmama

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I agree. Leo was sweet but in a sort of odd way. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

Agree, the boys seem a little off, for some reason. Don't tptb portray Wendy on the series that way, too? Sweet, very nice person but slightly quirky, confused and/or absent-minded?

Edited by gazerguy, May 14, 2012 @ 6:29 PM.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Chynna did have a solo album, Naked & Sacred that flopped. It was pretty good but flopped nonetheless. Carnie had prepped a solo album but nothing was officially released. Wendy, who I think has the worst voice, never had any solo songs. Although Carnie and Wendy have recorded an album or two together. I quite like Wilson Phillips but I wish they would release an album of original music.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Chynna's clearly marching to the beat of her own drum, which, you know, different strokes and all, but my favorite parts of this show are pretty much any time Chynna opens her mouth, and cut to a reaction shot where Carnie's got this look like, "I've known you all my life, but who the fuck ARE you?!l" Just cracks me up.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Just watched the episode where they go camping, and Chynna was an annoying jerk as usual.

I really think Chynna is nuts. And Billy Baldwin is either a saint for putting up with her, or nuts as well. I was right with Carnie when she said she wanted to slap her face.

What was it she said to Wendy a few weeks ago that hurt Wendy's feelings so badly she had to stand up and leave? Wendy seems like the steadiest, most "Mom" of them all, so it must have been deeply hurtful for her to get up and walk off.

Summerafternoon

Summerafternoon

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I'm sad the series ends next week. I hope they'll be back. I'm liking the snarkiness of it all. Chynna doesn't even try to hide how full of herself she is.
I would love to see Chynna's hair look like the Hold On video. Few people can pull off a haircut that cute, however, it really is the most flattering cut Chynna has ever had. She's thin, has a five-head, and seems to have thin straight hair. She NEEDS bangs first of all. And she needs some length cut off. The more the better. Her hair just distracts me. It's just so awful on her.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but.... is there something wrong with any (or all) of Wendy's kids? Some of them seem just a bit off... They're sweet kids though.

I'm glad it's not just me. All of the boys seem a bit slow. The parents I know are usually fast to point out that their child is either autistic or disabled in some way becasue they know what other people are thinking. Wendy has never said anything so one can only wonder.

While I appreciate a celebrity who doesn't live in a 10k square foot mansion, the size of Wendy's house just confuses me. I would think there is some Wilson Phillips money for them to have a bigger place. The house just seems too small for someone with her background. We know Carnie was broke and after reading this board, apparently Chynna and Billy were too. I wonder about Wendy. Did she blow all of her WP money.

It's hard to imagine that the daughters of a Beach Boys member could have money problems. I can't imagine what their dad's worth. Either they are truly terrible with money or dad's stingy.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Why was Chynna's daughter the only one of her kids on the camping trip? Doesn't she have 3 or 4 kids?

technorebel

technorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

ChicagoCita (can't use the quote thing on my phone), Wendy walked out during a meeting to decide the order of songs for their show. During the meeting, hippy-dippy Chynna busied herself sticking her fingers in each nostril "for a necessary sinus treatment" and spraying her face, etc. as if none of the details interested her. Chynna then says that what they really need to talk about is Carnie's gas problem and Wendy's awkward stage patter. At which point, Wendy had had enough and got up and left.
Probably just too nice to sock her right in her pinched skeleton face.
But then, every vegan I've ever seen has that seriously starved look.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

But then, every vegan I've ever seen has that seriously starved look.

Every vegan I've known has also been a smug, condescending know-it-all like Chynna. Bitchy like her too. Sure, they're thin, and possibly healthy, but it sure doesn't seem to put them in a good mood.

Summerafternoon

Summerafternoon

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I'm the first one to comment on that riveting season finale? LOL. The show got off to a great start but that finale just crashed and burned.

It was a total mish mosh and nothing seemed to fit. Then the staged tattoo parlor scene and Chynna walking out. Yawn. Normally I love Carnie but really, why would you want to boss someone into getting a tattoo that they obviously don't want?

I feel sorry for the people who hired them for the Bar Mitzvah only to have Chynna talk about how it was so beneath them. Umm no Chynna it's not. You'll never have the success you had in 1990. You filed BK. You obviously need the money. Shut up and sing.

I realized watching tonight that Carnie is really the only one of the 3 that has the personality for TV. Love or hate her, Carnie is good tv. She's not afraid to let it all air out and that is what we want to see in reality shows. Chynna is too affected and Wendy is nice but a total bore.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Every vegan I've known has also been a smug, condescending know-it-all like Chynna. Bitchy like her too. Sure, they're thin, and possibly healthy, but it sure doesn't seem to put them in a good mood.

I don't think she looks that health - thin, yes, especially compared to larger Carnie and normal sized The Other One.

Chynna is everything you described, but that lanky hair and almost drawn thin face don't look healthy to me.

technorebel

technorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I definitely got the feeling that Chynna was just using the supposed comeback of the group to launch her career in other areas. Talk show host?? Can you imagine having to listen to her babble on for an hour? But then, as she said "I deserve more.". Oh, yes, we're all eager to be lectured about healthy-living-according-to-Chynna. I can just picture a crowd of 5 or 6 people sitting there enthralled by the wisdom contained in her pointy little head.

Now Carnie, she is entertaining. The girl should be a stand-up comic. Don't know about Wendy. But I've heard just these two sing by themselves, and they definitely don't need Chynna to have a good harmony. I doubt, though, if it's a good idea to try to revive a dead pop music career at their ages.

It was pretty snotty of Chynna to scoff at that bar mitzvah. A paying gig is a paying gig. And telling Carnie that she's a sellout. Why does this girl have any friends at all?

Edited by technorebel, May 21, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

This program turned out to be a major snooze fest. There isn't much else on this time of year, which is why I kept watching, but NOTHING happened. Anyone know what kind of ratings this got?

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

The best thing about the show...Carnie. IMO
I'm going to miss her. She's naturally entertaining.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

I vaguely remember Carnie's talk show in the 90s. I'd love to see her get another one because she'd make a good host. Does anyone here know why she was replaced on the Newlywed game? Did she leave on her own or was given the boot? Personally I can't stand Miss multi-tasker Sherri Shepherd.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Yes, snoozefest. Hated the staged walk out scene at the tattoo parlor. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted the tat either but I wouldn't have shown up there with them, implying (apparently) that I might go along.

Confused about the ending - were we supposed to reach the conclusion that they broke up again? Yawn.

Didn't hear one note of original material the entire series. Funny how they'd sing a couple of bars of Hold On each time they were supposedly performing.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 4:20 AM

A friend of mine was at one of their shows a couple weeks ago and he said they mentioned that the show won't be getting a season two.

Edited by jw7579, Dec 2, 2012 @ 4:20 AM.