Wilson Phillips: Still Holding On

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

84 replies to this topic

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

I always assumed the lady who literally ate herself out of her bypass (and back in for more major surgery to repair the damage she had cuased) had to have deep emotional issues with food

It's obvious this lady never went through the mandatory pre-surgical counseling (which my sister had to go through before her surgery and my aunt had to go through for her lap band)

However, it's easy to fool the counselors into thinking you completely understand that, in addition to the surgery, you HAVE to change your eating. My sister's story was a success - down 68 pounds and has kept it off the last six years whereas my aunt has barely put a dent in her weight loss because, due to the tightness of the lap band and the minimal amount food she can consume, she chooses stuff like cheesecake, etc. instead of eating small quantities of GOOD FOOD. Yes, she's lost weight because her intake is low, but due to what she's actually taking in, she's not as far along in her weight loss progress as she should be. And this is all because my aunt wasn't mentally and emotionally prepared for the changes SHE had to make following the surgery. That's the problem with these weight loss surgeries - people (not all) think it's a 'quick fix' because they don't have the effort to put into losing weight by eating healthy and exercising. But if they're not instructed that they cannot go back to their old ways of eating, the weight will eventually come back as the stomach stretches, thus...the vicious cycle starts all over again.

On a non-weight issue, I watched part of an episode yesterday. Maybe it's me, but either Carnie is snarky, sarcastic and condescending towards Chynna and Wendy or the other two are just passive saps who let her be bossy. Maybe it was just the part I saw (when they were in the studio recording California Dreaming) but I never wanted to slap someone silly and say 'get over yourself'

aimlessbird

aimlessbird

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I do not think it is an accident that Carnie scheduled her surgery just before the girls' big comeback. Carnie may claim that the surgery is for her health and for concern of her children but the timing is an odd coincidence. Carnie went thru hell the first time around during the publicity for WP's first album. Being compared to Chynna and Wendy and being pushed to the back because of her weight. The groups last 3 videos they only shot Carnie from the shoulder or neck up. Carnie seemed to think that her talent was overlooked because of this.

I believe all 3 girls had less than perfect childhoods and Carnie's issues that cause her to over eat are always going to be with her. Carnie herself has stated that she has an addictive personality and tends to over indulge in the things she shouldn't.

I hope they don't plan to always cast Chynna in the villian role. They did that during the pilot. Chynna only missed rehersals and Carnie flipped out. Meanwhile Carnie has had years to do something about her weight and chose to do something about it a month before a show.

Carnie, Wendy and Chynna all have beautiful children. I hope the show doesn't show Billy Baldwin too often.

Edited by aimlessbird, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:13 PM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

I assume that she is getting money or at the very least a free surgery which explains the timing of the surgery.

I also think that it was deliberately planned because a comeback of Wilson Philips is a joke and any publicity - including this show which needs a storyline - would theoretically boost sales of albums and tickets.

They are *performing* this week at Loehmann's in Los Angeles which at least to me would indicate a group is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Their original album was a musical joke and the idea of attempting to wrest the last shekel from their legacy by re-recording Beach Boy/Mama & Papa classic tracks is beyond cynical - I believe the album has rightfully stiffed.

KrisPChikn

KrisPChikn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

I believe all 3 girls had less than perfect childhoods and Carnie's issues that cause her to over eat are always going to be with her. Carnie herself has stated that she has an addictive personality and tends to over indulge in the things she shouldn't.

I remember seeing an interview with Carnie where she talked about her issues with food. She said eating was the way she connected with her dad when she was little. He used to wake her up in the middle of the night and they would sit at the kitchen table and eat cereal together. Food has, I believe, been her go-to coping mechanism in life and she hasn't yet learned how to cope in a healthy way. That's probably why she went from food addiction to alcohol addiction after her gastric bypass. Transfer addictions are extremely common in bypass patients.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

• Interests:I love my basset hound.

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

On her old reality show, Carnie also talked about a shopping addiction that contributed to some financial issues that she and her husband were having.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

I think that Carnie is sort of delusional. At any rate, I was happy to see that her oldest daughter seems to be a normal size (last time I saw her she looked like she might have inherited her mother's weight problem.) I found it interesting that Wendy claims that WP is her only source of income, and that she has 4 sons to raise, for crying-out-loud doesn't her husband have a job?

Retrogrl

Retrogrl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

On her old reality show, Carnie also talked about a shopping addiction that contributed to some financial issues that she and her husband were having.

I watched Carnie's other reality show (I can't remember the name) and I'll watch this -- I'm fascinated, but I can't explain it. Anyway, Carnie's sheer stubborn refusal to do anything halfway EXCEPT diet and exercise is absolutely maddening. She came home from Barney's one afternoon with the car filled with bags, literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff. And then she'd go into the pantry and start eating. Her trainer would show up and she'd half-ass it through half a workout. I wanted to reach through the television and shake her. You know she wasn't working as hard as she could to get back in shape for that New Orleans show. She wasn't blowing enough into the little penis shaped thing, and she wasn't getting up and moving around. Why couldn't the girls all rehearse at her house? They've got a studio in there.

Chynna is going to come off like a total bitch in the next episode, but I can empathize with her frustration. Billy should get a vasectomy, too. At least go for a consultation -- they don't cut anymore, i think they use lasers. Chynna seems like a Type A personality surrounded by Type B's. It can make a girl crazy.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Billy should get a vasectomy

On the other hand, Chynna is 44 and should at least have her hormonal levels tested, many women are in peri-menopause by that age, and the likely hood of pregnancy is something like only 1 in 200 women get pregnant naturally at age 45. Billy should take her seriously of course, but the fact is if they ever split up he might want to have the obligatory "2nd Family" with his younger wife, LOL.

Carnie needs to realize that she will never keep weight off until she moves her ass, that or just stop eating, recent studies have shown that obese people who lose weight need to eat about 30% less in calories than folks who have never been obese, this sucks, but life ain't fair (exhibit one: Wendy Wilson who is tall and slim, and from the same gene pool as short and fat Carnie.)

Edited by spaghettijimmy, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:43 AM.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Only watched a few minutes of this on TV guide channel, and it can be summed up as:
1) Chynna is a hugely spoiled, entitled prissy Bitch. Very Mean Girl Regina George and seems to try to instigate drama. The "I'm Cinderella and you're the stepsisters" remark after they asked how could she agree to film Dancing with the Stars in the middle of recording, while complaining that a SURGERY was so selfish. Since we're being mean, she looks better with a shorter haircut - that stringy mess on a high forehead looks ugly that long.

2) Carnie has resented Chynna for decades, but I see why. It's hard to take the back seat to someone because they're prettier and thinner, but not any more talented and far bitchier. Chynna also provokes it and tries to pick on Carnie.

3) The Third One (never could remember her name) is clearly irritated with Chynna, but won't stand up to her. This makes her a Gretchen Weiner accomplice, in my book. I do like that she seems to be very hands on with her kids.

4) Carnie's husband is HOT - but what happened to Billy Baldwin - wasn't he the cute Baldwin back in the day?

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Carnie has resented Chynna for decades, but I see why. It's hard to take the back seat to someone because they're prettier and thinner, but not any more talented and far bitchier.

I remember thinking during their glory days, even though Carnie was the fat one, she had the prettiest face of the three. I still think so.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Carnie has resented Chynna for decades, but I see why. It's hard to take the back seat to someone because they're prettier and thinner, but not any more talented and far bitchier.

I remember thinking during their glory days, even though Carnie was the fat one, she had the prettiest face of the three. I still think so.

If I had to pick one to be my BFF, I'd pick Carnie. She is pretty, and has a good sense of humor, and seems to be the most successful and most recognizable one of the three.

It's one thing to be the Beyonce and become the center of attention, due to looks, talent, whatever.
It's another thing to automatically assume you should be the center of attention, and then be catty and mean, like you really think you are something extra special, and have every entitlement to be rude and pick on those you see as inferior to you. That's what I get from what we see of Chynna. She'd make a great Mrs. Von Tussell in Hairspray.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Is this the real Chyna? Because if it is, I hate her.
I love Carnie. She's fun, seems genuine and down to earth for someone who grew up in rock and roll family.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Is Wendy married? She is married to Dan Knutson. I know this only because I remember seeing her family on Supernanny a few years back.

Carnie was on Wife Swap recently.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I can't believe Chynna showed up uninvited at Carnie's house. I'm sure they're like family but come on. More unbelievable was Wendy's helplessness at the party supply store. How old is this woman? How many children does she have? How does she live without assistance?? Calling someone recovering from surgery to ask if "Happy Birthday" is okay instead of "Happy Birthday Mom" is absolutely ridiculous.

Summerafternoon

Summerafternoon

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

I taped the show and had very low expectations thinking it would be a tra la la, we've all known each other since we were kids, we're sisters!

It's definitely a lot better than I thought. I'm loving the catiness and drama between the Wilsons and Chynna. It seems to me like there was a lot of mean girl stuff on Chynna's part for years now and they are more like frenemies than friends. However what makes it great is Chynna's seemingly clueless-ness over her bitchiness.

The ugly stepsisters remark? Hilarious. Telling Carnie she looked like a Teletubby and commenting that she visited her in fat camp when they were kids? Fantastic.

Definitely on a series record for me.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

That's probably why she went from food addiction to alcohol addiction after her gastric bypass. Transfer addictions are extremely common in bypass patients.

I recall an Oprah episode about a bypass patient who, after surgery, became a shoplifting addict. When did Carnie have an alcohol problem? I wonder if that contributed to her weight gain, since a lot of booze is highly caloric.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I found it interesting that Wendy claims that WP is her only source of income, and that she has 4 sons to raise, for crying-out-loud doesn't her husband have a job?

Maybe these guys married Carnie and Wendy in hopes of being supported by them so they didn't have to work. At least Chynna's husband is an actor. Does Carnie's husband make any money as a musician? When she was on Celebrity Wife Swap all Rob did was spend most of his day in the home studio and not much time with the kids. Maybe that's why Carnie takes on all these jobs (game show host, reality tv shows) because she's the sole provider.

While I am not in favor of people living off the incomes of their parents as dissipated wastrels, I was wondering whether the Wilson girls will inherit a large amount when Brian Wilson dies. The publishing for all the music that he wrote must be a gold mine.

Brian Wilson strikes me as weird enough to leave his money to a charity or something else other than his daughters.

I do not think it is an accident that Carnie scheduled her surgery just before the girls' big comeback. Carnie may claim that the surgery is for her health and for concern of her children but the timing is an odd coincidence. Carnie went thru hell the first time around during the publicity for WP's first album. Being compared to Chynna and Wendy and being pushed to the back because of her weight. The groups last 3 videos they only shot Carnie from the shoulder or neck up. Carnie seemed to think that her talent was overlooked because of this.

The same thing was done to Ann Wilson of Heart when she gained weight. In their 80s videos she was shot from neck up or wearing black baggy clothes while her sister Nancy wore tight clothes and had full body shots.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Chynna is super obnoxious. I don't know how Wendy and Carnie have put up with her for so long.

DryIce

DryIce

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

For some reason Chynna doesn't bother me that much -her behavior seems all very tongue in cheek to me....but who knows.

I was expecting to find Carnie obnoxious but I just love her on this show. I like how she takes what Chynna says and does with a grain on salt and admits to her own downfalls. She seems to be a really good person. I hope she gets the results from the surgery she's hoping for.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

I was kind of surprised when Carnie said she'd lost 20 pounds since her surgery. That didn't seem like much for someone who was on a liquid diet. Also it bugged me that she took her daughter for a sugary treat when she wanted to spend special time with her. Couldn't they build good times around something besides food? I worry for her daughters and hope they don't fall into the same "food is my best friend" trap as their mother.

Chynna seems to be the self appointed glamor queen, but this episode I couldn't help but notice that Wendy is the prettiest of the three.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I was kind of surprised when Carnie said she'd lost 20 pounds since her surgery. That didn't seem like much for someone who was on a liquid diet. Also it bugged me that she took her daughter for a sugary treat when she wanted to spend special time with her. Couldn't they build good times around something besides food? I worry for her daughters and hope they don't fall into the same "food is my best friend" trap as their mother.

This was the first episode I saw. My first thought is that Carnie is huge. How the hell did that happen? The last time I saw her, she was 1/3 that size. I also wasn't pleased about her trip to Menchie's with her daughter. Perhaps the saving grace is that froyo is less fattening than ice cream?

aimlessbird

aimlessbird

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

For a reality show Still Holding on has been kind of dull.

Arenal

Arenal

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Chynna's a bitch, Wendy's a bore. Carnie is the only one with any sort of personality.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Chynna really seems like a nutjob. It's a free country and she can douche and avoid dairy all she wants, but the self-righteous preaching about it (and the preaching about God too) would get on my nerves.

Also, I hate to be all shallow and talk about appearances, but she looked so much better back in Wilson Phillips's heyday. It's not that she hasn't aged well; she still looks young. It's just that the shorter hair and bangs were way more flattering to the shape of her face, and I also think she also looked better with a little more weight on her face. Every time I watch, I want to climb into the TV and give her a makeover!

Edited by bobbyhill, May 9, 2012 @ 8:56 AM.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Forced to watch this snoozefest again, unfortunately.

Am I incorrect in believing they've aired the homes of both Carnie and Wendy multiple times but Chynna, no? Seems as if she's always either in the car or at another location. What gives? Is it b/c Billy's such a huge star (haha) that they must preserve their privacy? Dream on -

WRT Brian Wilson's possible fortune and their inheritances, IIRC, he's currently raising a gaggle (don't know how many) of additional kids with a 2nd (??)/later wife. So, their cut's shrinking.

Carnie definitely comes off more positively (with the possible exception of the surgery interruption) and as the driving force behind the group. Her imdb lists several reality shows and she's apparently suing someone, claiming a daily rate of 5K (IIRC), for her work on one of her previous shows. Is she a producer? Does she have more input and therefore, receive a favorable edit??

IIRC, Wendy's dh does have a day job. Interesting, however, how all three act as if they truly need this gig.

Don't watch it but noticed a WP reference on the thread for Kathy Griffin's new talk show. What happened there? Did one or all of them appear on it?

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

gazerguy
The first three videos on the "Kathy" Bravo page are of the WP appearance. The night before or thereabouts one of the panelists said they were at Loehmann's the discount clothing store and WP did a gig in the store. Kathy of course thought that was a gift from above and made a big joke out of it. WP then showed up on Kathy's show and they were pretty good sports about her ribbing them.

Here's the WP on Bravo video.

Edited by chainey, May 8, 2012 @ 7:48 PM.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Don't watch it but noticed a WP reference on the thread for Kathy Griffin's new talk show. What happened there? Did one or all of them appear on it?

They sang on Kathy's show and did a brief interview. She had been talking about their show and their appearance at Loehmann's.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Was it a Loehmann's joke that had everyone talking?

Thanks for the info, cg63 and chainey.

Edited by gazerguy, May 9, 2012 @ 6:07 PM.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I remember Carnie on two VH-1 reality shows; Celebrity Fit Club and Gone Country. She also had her own talk show in the 90s.

KrisPChikn

KrisPChikn

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

When did Carnie have an alcohol problem? I wonder if that contributed to her weight gain, since a lot of booze is highly caloric.

After her initial gastric bypass surgery. She talked about it when she was on Dr. Oz's show a year (maybe two) ago.