2 Broke Girls

• Please log in to reply

2249 replies to this topic

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

D'oh! Empress1 beat me to it by about a minute!

Edited by MyAlias, Sep 25, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I liked it. I wasn't expecting much, and was disappointed overall with the first season, but I got several laughs out of it. The guy bidding for everything at the auction was funny. The two leads are at their best when they are played against absurdist characters like that. It makes them seem more normal by comparison. And I loved how Max was charmed by Caroline's father, it was totally in character and showed her vulnerable side, something we don't see enough of. I hope they make a running backstory out of it. I don't know how many episodes Steven Weber signed up to do but I'd like to seem him recur throughout the season. Max plays well against him.

I'm just hoping Chestnut went back to the stable where he belongs, they didn't show the apartment or mention where he is now. I hated him living in that cramped backyard space, and they still have the same problem they had last year with trying to keep him sheltered and comfortable in the winter.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Ugh ! I just remembered how lame the opening joke was in the diner with the Mimi Rogers look-a-like and the breastfeeding kid that should have never made it out of the writer's bathroom.

That was stupid. I wondered what they told the kid actor when they did that scene, it seemed like something I wouldn't want my young child to be a part of.

Maybe this ep aired out of sequence and was intended to be on later in the season. Maybe the Martha plotline will resume next week. Maybe I will stop expecting logic in this show.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

The opening with the breast-feeding ten-year-old was gross and pointless; were they trying to reference that magazine cover that created a small flap over the summer? Regardless, it wasn't funny.

I kept getting distracted in the scenes with Stephen Weber b/c there was no way he could be Caroline's father! As mentioned before, his insistence they get the cup was way too obvious (and yeah, did Max expect him to blurt out there was money hidden in that cup?) and even worse, they failed to follow up on it at the end. Yeah, I know, he knew it was important for her, but why the wink and the failed attempt at innuendo? It would have been more interesting if he had a cache of cash in it but someone else already got to it and we'd get a heartfelt "sorry you didn't get the money I hid in it for you" scene.

Why did Sophie expect the fry cook to be able to buy ANYTHING at that auction?

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

He looks good for his age, but still clearly old enough to look like he can have a 25-year-old daughter.

I agree. I didn't see a problem at all with the casting. Even if he looks good, he still looks like a man in his 50s to me.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Maybe this ep aired out of sequence and was intended to be on later in the season. Maybe the Martha plotline will resume next week.

The description for next week's episode shows there will be followup to the Martha Stewart thing, though I don't know if she will actually appear again.

AriAU

AriAU

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Is that the best they could come up with after a whole summer off-it is going to be a long season (or a short season if it stays this unfunny) I do not think I had a good laugh out of the episode other than the Zooey/Jennifer Love Hewitt/Katie Holmes foutine.

It would have been more interesting if he had a cache of cash in it but someone else already got to it and we'd get a heartfelt "sorry you didn't get the money I hid in it for you" scene.

Now that would have been clever, and worked within the "loveable loser" concept that these characters operate in.

Maybe I will stop expecting logic in this show.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I noticed that Sophie's outfit Caroline made fun of was basically the same color scheme as their waitress outfits. I was waiting for someone to mention that on the show, but no one did.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I actually liked Sophie's outfit. On anyone else it would have been way too much -- here comes the sun, indeed -- but it works on her.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Time for some new material, hack writers.

Ahahahahahaha! Oh, I've missed hate-watching this show.

RobertDeSneero

RobertDeSneero

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

He seemed more like an older brother than father. Caroline's dad is a role that cried out for a Howard Hesseman, Fred Willard or Martin Mull. Serious missed opportunity there, show-runners.

Not if they're going to have Max finding Caroline's dad attractive as an on-going gag that pays off in the future with Max being in a position to actually become Caroline's step-mom and the return of the Bang Bus.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

ubi
The opening with the breast-feeding ten-year-old was gross and pointless; were they trying to reference that magazine cover that created a small flap over the summer? Regardless, it wasn't funny.

I was watching that with my SO and felt embarrassed. That was very uncomfortable to watch. I felt like writing to the show and telling them "what the hell is wrong with you that scene was not funny at all.".

I kept getting distracted in the scenes with Stephen Weber b/c there was no way he could be Caroline's father! As mentioned before, his insistence they get the cup was way too obvious (and yeah, did Max expect him to blurt out there was money hidden in that cup?) and even worse, they failed to follow up on it at the end. Yeah, I know, he knew it was important for her, but why the wink and the failed attempt at innuendo?

I really thought they would find a nice chunk of change somewhere in the cup and was puzzled when there was nothing. I can't believe her father made all that fuss about getting the cup and it only held sentimental value which seems like it was more for him than Caroline.

With exception of shorter hair and a little gray at the temples, Stephen Weber looks just like he did when he starred in Wings, at least to me he does.

braggtastic
I noticed that Sophie's outfit Caroline made fun of was basically the same color scheme as their waitress outfits.

I know. I saw that too. LOL.

Edited by prosperity2day, Sep 26, 2012 @ 1:14 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 5:00 AM

This is what the opening scene reminded me about.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 5:30 AM

That's what it's supposed to remind you of, and it's still not funny. Apparently, they were going for the gross-out factor? I, too, wondered what they told the kid who played the part. Hope he's not scarred for life. Yuck.

Yes, at age 51, Steven Webber is technically old enough to have a 25-year-old daughter. But in the context of this show and to fit the Madoff-like storyline, Caroline's father should have been an older person. At least somebody in his late 60's, who would have had time to do all the things Martin supposedly did.

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

Nah, I can pretty clearly see how that scene came about:
"We need to make a joke that they are poor in the first 5 minutes, to remind people that they are broke."
"How about they can't afford HBO?"
"Okay now how do we actually get that in there."
"Uh remember that crazy Lady on Game of Thrones who breast fed an 8 year old? How about we have that in the diner?"
"Great idea!"

Actually I didn't find that joke to be that bad.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Wow. It still blows. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't but.... Though I did like that cheap shot at Zoey Deschanel. Mainly because I don't like her. A continued waste of two actors with great chemistry.

On the upside we made it through without a single rape joke.

Edited by KalEl, Sep 26, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Maybe this ep aired out of sequence and was intended to be on later in the season. Maybe the Martha plotline will resume next week.

I doubt they will ever mention Martha Stewart again. She took their card at the end of last season but that doesn't necessarily mean anything has to come of it. Maybe she was just being polite. Obviously, they can't land a big contract with someone courtesy of Martha Stewart or the whole premise of them being broke goes out the window. I know, technically, it wouldn't have to, but I can't imagine this show breaking out of its formula after only one season.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Episode description for next week: "Max and Caroline eagerly await a phone call from Martha Stewart after the domestic maven likes one of their cupcakes."

Edited by Chicken Wing, Sep 26, 2012 @ 6:49 PM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Episode description for next week: "Max and Caroline eagerly await a phone call from Martha Stewart after the domestic maven likes one of their cupcakes."

Yay!!!! Thank you Chicken Wing. The reason the Martha Stewart S/L means so much to me is that I launched a start-up company myself back in November. Just like Max and Caroline, I'm broke and need seed money too. Even though its just a sit-com, I feel like if Max and Caroline get a "yes," then there's a chance for me, heh.

Brinswan

Brinswan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I laughed out loud a few times, I think Kat Dennings has great delivery on these one liners, regardless of how cheesy they are. The Game of Thrones one, the one about her dad in a box car, the one about being Caroline's stepmother, about Caroline's queen cousin, etc etc.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I just noticed that the next episode is entitled "...and the Pearl Necklace." Any guesses on 1) how many minutes into the show before they hit the obvious joke; and 2) how many times they're going to hit that joke? Before wagering, please remember that this show once included the line, "I would like to Gisele on your Bundchens."

Update: Only one joke, right at the end. Huh.

Edited by MyAlias, Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I just noticed that the next episode is entitled "...and the Pearl Necklace."

Well at least tomorrow we find out that the Pearl necklace is
Spoiler
. So that explains a lot. Re: Martha Stewart - I've decided that the girls getting her as an investor on the cupcake business doesn't necessarily ruin the show's premise. Depending on how much (if any) Martha decides to invest, Max and Caroline will still have to hold on to the Diner jobs for at least another year while the cupcake business builds traction. By Season Three, the writers will have likely mined the Diner for any remaining laughs anyway and will probably be jones-ing for a new show setting. It could work, after all, Carroll O' Connor continued as Archie Bunker for three or four years after the character traded in the loading dock to run a saloon. Good writers find a way to make this stuff work.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

Good writers find a way to make this stuff work.

Yes, but 2 Broke Girls is written by the 2 Broke Girls writers.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

Yes, but 2 Broke Girls is written by the 2 Broke Girls writers.

Bazinga! (Trademark Sheldon Cooper)

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Yeah, that was obviously supposed to be the season premiere. Even if it wasn't obvious from the plot, I went back and looked at the press release for last week's and it had this note:

Editor’s Note: This episode will now air as the season premiere, which was formerly announced as “And The Pearl Necklace,” which will now air the following week.

So they totally switched them for some reason. Ummm...because they thought Steven Weber was such a big draw? It's a shame, because this was a much better episode. The characters, the rhythms, everything was clicking better than last week.

junebug630

junebug630

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Well episode 2 is in the can and wow did that one suck. I didn't laugh the whole time.
I don't know what was worse, the storyline or that receptionist repeating everything that the girls said.
Oh yeah, no episode would be complete without a "pearl necklace" joke.
This show is going down faster than Kim Kardashian at ...... what am I doing, I don't write for 2 Broke Girls.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Why do I love this show so much? I honestly don't know. On paper, everything about it should suck, but I'm drawn in anyway. As has been noted multiple times, the chemistry between the girls is undeniable, and I realize they're particularly enjoyable -- at least to me -- when they're doing slapstick stuff. Silly as it was, I busted a gut when Caroline snapped her necklace off (really, how did she manage to keep that thing for so long if it could break that easily?) and subsequently slipped on a pearl and dumped the cupcake batter all over herself.

And I'm shocked that they made it a full 29 minutes before they made the dirty pearl necklace joke. Signs of restraint?

I'm with Max. I would totally put a poo in that cupcake machine. Because that whole concept is just silly. A cupcake dispenser?

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

They could have used Chestnut's poo.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I'm with Max. I would totally put a poo in that cupcake machine. Because that whole concept is just silly. A cupcake dispenser?

Isn't that a real thing?

MrCoffeeNerves

MrCoffeeNerves

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

How sad is it that I give them credit for waiting to make the Pearl Necklace joke until the kicker?

When Caroline "tripped" on the pearl and got the face full of goo I thought "well, kudos for finding a way to be even LESS subtle" and was shocked they didn't take the joke there.

I *did* like the meta factor of the opener, even if it almost immediately fell back into Whitney territory.

So it looks like the scriptwriters are still using the software with the "Insert clunky exposition recapping the series' premise once per scene" button.

Edited by MrCoffeeNerves, Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:20 AM.