2 Broke Girls

• Please log in to reply

2249 replies to this topic

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I got a good laugh out of Sophie saying she got all hot and bothered watching Caroline make out with "Big Han."

I admit, I laughed too. (All Asians look alike!)

I don't think Token Asian even had a name. They just called him "Webmaster." So he's gone for good. Now the next time someone accuses the show of being racist, they can say, "Caroline banged an Asian guy! So there!" It's the equivalent of saying, "I have a black/gay friend."

Frankly, Jennifer Coolidge is what's keeping me watching the show lately. The writing is still sub-par but she brings life to the character.

Word.
How many other actresses can make this sound funny?
"Nooo... it was only hand sex. And nothing above the waist, I'm a lady!"

Yeah, she's pretty great. I really like her.

I've become inured to Oleg's dirty comments. I think the thing that grosses me out the most about Oleg is his chef attire - that tank top and the gold chain. *shudder* I picture a whole lot of hairs in that food.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

I didn't like this episode. It had a schizophrenic feeling to it, like it was pieced together from uncompleted scripts to make a whole show.

I got the same impression. There were actually three stories going on here: Max finds out it's Caroline's birthday and is shamed into throwing a party she doesn't even want; Max pushes Caroline into hooking up with the cute webmaster; Max takes Caroline to see her father in prison. It was like a series of sketches strung together to make a single episode. I kept expecting it to end after each segment, so when I looked at the clock I was like "WTH?"

And you know the most interesting thing? Any one of those S/Ls, if taken singularly, had the potential to be really funny stand-alone episodes, or at least A-plots in separate shows. Sometimes, I feel like this show treats me the way Ike Turner used to treat Tina. Thing is, the magic chemistry of Beth and Kat keeps me coming back every week.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:23 AM.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

It's as if the show has ADD when it comes to plots. And it's not even as if they're gunning through a lot of material. They always spend way too long with Caroline/Max trading one liners rather than engaging the plot.

junebug630

junebug630

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

It's as if the show has ADD when it comes to plots. And it's not even as if they're gunning through a lot of material. They always spend way too long with Caroline/Max trading one liners rather than engaging the plot.

I will keep watching as it keeps me occupied and I laugh sometimes.
Also they got rid of that horse! God how dumb was that as a plot device?

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

Where has this show gone? Did the season finale already air and I missed it?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

Most shows go into repeats after February sweeps. There's a new episode next week.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

It's been renewed for next year

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Yay for the renewel!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Was Max making cupcakes in the diner kitchen before Oleg had sex against the sink? How much hair is in the food in that place?

And how did Max get all those ingredients at the dog sitting apartment that had nothing but water in the fridge and bake the cupcakes in the time it took for the Greek magnate to get fed up and leave?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

You mean the boxes of cake mix Max uses

Why did Caroline even consider abandonning the aprtment and dogs they were sppsdf to be watching?

Jlina

Jlina

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Caroline said it was going to be a day trip. Loved her in the bikini - a bit bronzed but wowza; and some of this stuff - like Oleg and the cooking isn't meant to be for real, it's for laughs. Gross but funny - esp. when I thought all that sink shaking was him in there by himself! Glad it's been renewed because the good naturedness and the smile that is Kat Dennings just makes up for all the stuff that is cr*p. Love the friendship and it's progression.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Caroline said it was going to be a day trip.

I don't think so - she said it was an 8 hour plane trip, and that's one way. She also said they didn't have to pack because there were fancy clothing stores at the hotel.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Nice episode, nothing spectacular. Just wish the writers wouldn't make it sound like Max had such a hard life at such a young age. Loved seeing Beth in that Bikini, she finally got a chance to show what's she's packing, the emphasis is usually on Kat and her rack. For that reason, I think the writers made a conscious decision to keep Max in the sauna until scene's end, give Beth a chance to shine for a change. And by the way, did anyone else catch Beth's six-pack? Girl must have a serious work-out routine. I also liked that the gay stereotyping was not only gentle, but actually funny. Nice job writers.

junebug630

junebug630

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Loved seeing Beth in that Bikini, she finally got a chance to show what's she's packing, the emphasis is usually on Kat and her rack.

Some of us have already just settled for Caroline's legs as a consolation. /creepy off.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Yikes, hope I didn't sound creepy. There wasn't much else to comment on in this episode. Except...if the gay couple gave the girls an extra $150 on top of the $600 they were already promised, why did the cupcake fund only go up $150 at the end of the episode? They couldn't have partied the initial $600 away, could they?

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

...if the gay couple gave the girls an extra $150 on top of the $600 they were already promised, why did the cupcake fund only go up $150 at the end of the episode? They couldn't have partied the initial $600 away, could they?

I think they said the $600 would cover them for the time they wouldn't be working at the diner. So, it was going toward normal expenses.

Edited by LADreamr, Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

The $600 was to cover the shifts they were giving up at the diner, though that would mean they make $150 each, including tips, each day. I find that hard to believe, considering where they work.

I enjoyed this episode--definitely laughed more than I did during HIMYM. It's nice to see progress made on the cupcake front.

Edited to add: LADreamr beat me to it. Darn my slow typing!

Edited by Scrambled Eggs, Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Thanks LADreamr and Scrambled Eggs. I missed that line of dialogue, the leads talk so fast sometimes.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

LOL, Scrambled Eggs. Team effort. :) I know, Winston Wolfe. I'm surprised I caught that part.

Edited by LADreamr, Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:36 PM.

Direqh

Direqh

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 4:45 AM

Yikes, hope I didn't sound creepy.

I don't think it's creepy to appreciate the fanservice. That is, after all, why it was put in there. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

I also liked that the gay stereotyping was not only gentle, but actually funny. Nice job writers.

I agree. Also, I couldn't help but wonder whether the Caroline-Max back-and-forth about being stereotypical was some sort of meta-commentary on all the criticism the show's gotten about its racial stereotyping, especially with Michael Patrick King's relentless "But I'm GAY! And we make fun of gays too!" defense. But I'm probably overthinking this.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 5:10 AM

Much, much better than usual. Max was awesomely snarky and there were plenty of genuine laughs. I'm guessing the scenery change played a big part. The diner really drags the show down, and I hope they get rid of it completely in season 2. It's not actually vital to the plot.

Also, other shows, if you're going to stereotype gays for laughs, THAT'S how you do it.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Also, I couldn't help but wonder whether the Caroline-Max back-and-forth about being stereotypical was some sort of meta-commentary on all the criticism the show's gotten about its racial stereotyping, especially with Michael Patrick King's relentless "But I'm GAY! And we make fun of gays too!" defense. But I'm probably overthinking this.

Also, other shows, if you're going to stereotype gays for laughs, THAT'S how you do it.

Right on to both posts. I think the big difference this time around is that the focus of the stereotyping were actually in on the jokes this time, and having as much fun as everyone else.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:26 AM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

The $600 was to cover the shifts they were giving up at the diner, though that would mean they make $150 each, including tips, each day. I find that hard to believe, considering where they work.

I think they once said they made $60 - $80 on a good night.

Is Max Sandra Lee-ing the cupcakes or what? The show pointed out that she makes them from a box, but she's clearly tweaking them some kind of way. They don't make beer and maple bacon cake mix.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Was Max making cupcakes in the diner kitchen before Oleg had sex against the sink? How much hair is in the food in that place?

It was coleslaw she was putting into little cups. It bugged me so I focused on what she was doing rather than what anyone else was doing.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Those were some unusual metal tins for cole slaw, especially at a low rent diner. Tiny paper cups are the standard for cole slaw.

azathoth

azathoth

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

If Max is in love with the portable sauna, does that mean she'd broken up with the jacuzzi tub in Caroline's townhouse? I loved it when she fell over in it and she sent the dog for help. I wonder if that was in the script or if she really fell and they just ran with it. And I loved her plan to take the dog everywhere.

I've probably seen too many old sitcoms, but is it weird that I think of Max and Caroline as a young, hot, raunchy version of Lucy and Ethel? They've taken a old classic formula and updated it, which helps explain the show's success.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Caroline said it was going to be a day trip.

I don't think that's a valid excuse. They're sppsd to be watching the house and dogs.

Wait, that wasn't cupcake mix she was putting into those little tins with her (hopefully not bare) hands?

Edited by ubi, Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:44 AM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Hee. No, it was cole slaw, and she had on those plastic disposable gloves.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

And I loved her plan to take the dog everywhere.

I was so worried they were going to take the dog out and it was going to get lost or something. So I was happy when it didn't go that route!

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I've probably seen too many old sitcoms, but is it weird that I think of Max and Caroline as a young, hot, raunchy version of Lucy and Ethel? They've taken a old classic formula and updated it, which helps explain the show's success.

That's pretty much exactly it. "Modern-day Laverne and Shirley" is another one I've heard. A lot of elements of this show range from "Ugh..." to "Eh," but I think the chemistry between Max and Caroline has been made of win from day one.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Mar 20, 2012 @ 3:03 PM.